Chapter Twenty-Six: Inn

Chopper
I presumed I'd be the first to the inn since I only had to pick up some supplies for Kuro's sleep medication, but Kuro beat me here. He is sat on a bench, reading a book, looking wearier than ever. He barely seems to be paying attention to it and looks like any second he could drop off which is rather concerning considering how many fights we get in. He doesn't look up as I approach; lost in the book and his thoughts, adjusting his lopsided glasses absentmindedly.
"Hi," I greet, sitting by him on the bench. He jumps slightly, looking up, looking surprised. Oops. Maybe I should have found away to get his attention without making him jump.
"Hi," he replies, albeit flatly. I guess being tired most of the time messes with enthusiasm and emotion.
"Did you get a notebook?"I check. He is so tired it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot, especially since exhaustion can contribute to weariness, lack of concentration and focus loss. Then again Kuro is clearly used to it so maybe that would give him an edge above others with tiredness.
"Mhm," he replies, yawning slightly. I hope the others arrive soon so we can book into the inn and Kuro can get some sleep that he so clearly needs.

"So Moonshade," I begin, figuring Kuro will know a lot about it so I can make a successful antidote. "How long does it take to kill?"
"The poison alone would take a couple of hours for a grown adult," he says. "A child anywhere from half an hour to an hour. But, obviously, that is not accounting for blood loss. Plus some people's hearts give out from the pain." I cringe at that comment but take notes anyway then glance at him.
"So you've been poisoned by it before?" I ask because if he grew up on an island with it and knew a lot about it that wouldn't be surprising.
"Yep," he says, less than cheerfully. "Oh well. Could be worse."
"Yeah you could have died I guess..." I say after briefly considering how that could be worse.
"Yeah, that would be slightly bad, I guess," he says, the doubt in his voice on that the most concerning thing yet but I don't comment. I feel like he just wouldn't respond if I did so. "At least you'd probably be immune to it."
"I would?" I ask in surprise.
"Yup. It only kills complete humans. Well, the poison. The thorns stabbing and crushing still would..." he replies. Uh. Yay? That's encouraging... Gosh between Kuro and Robin's cynicism this is going to be fun...

Eventually the others arrive and we head inside, deciding to follow Nami's advice to go into twos to save money. She puts us into pairs that won't cause too many arguments: me and Kuro, Luffy and Sanji, Zoro and Brook, Franky and Nova, Nami and Robin, Danni and Usopp. It is pretty good that I am sharing with Kuro because that gives me time to make the sleeping medication and if it doesn't work or causes issues. Plus Kuro sharing with someone is a good idea or he may decide to skip out on another night's sleep which would be four in a row which would be very, very bad.

After dinner we head to our room, it is small but nice with two single beds. One is against the wall the other by the window.
"Which would you prefer?" I ask because I am rather indifferent to which and one may give him better sleep than the other. He opts for the one against the wall and returns to his book whilst I work on the medication, it was nearly done anyway so it only takes about an hour to complete.
"They're not as strong as regular sleeping pills," I warn. "They're a herbal remedy though so they don't have the depressant element. Have one an hour before bed, it should help. It won't magically make you drop off, but it should be calming and make it easier to fall asleep."
"Thanks, Chopper," he says with a small smile which quickly goes into an expressionless mask. For some reason he seems to avoid showing even an emotion like happiness. Again. I decide not to comment. We really don't know Kuro well enough yet to go asking personal questions like that.
"Well I am the ship doctor, helping is my job. Just try to sleep every night?" I plead. "You are going to make yourself really ill and even if there are nightmares that is worse than the hallucinations that lack of sleep will cause."
"I'll try," he agrees. "I used to try all the time anyway." Well that is relieving. He takes one of the pills and follows my advice, writing in the journal, before putting it down and leaning against the corner of the wall, using the blankets like a cocoon quickly dropping off.

One Piece: Grand EndeavoursOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara