Chapter Seventy-Four: Permanent Sleepover

Kuro
I wake up, stretching, feeling incredibly well rested. Once again I have fallen asleep using Luffy as a pillow but this time I am not embarrassed about it. I yawn, rubbing my eyes.
"Morning sleepyhead!" Luffy says , cheerfully, his fingers moving my fringe from my eyes as I glance up slightly. "Or should I say good afternoon?"
"How long was I asleep?" I ask, sitting up and realising it was definitely a while given the stiffness and how my weariness has faded.
"About fifteen hours?" Luffy says. "I slept when it was night so not sure...You know I can see where the 'Black Cat' element came from with you."
"Huh?" I ask, frowning slightly with confusion. A lot of confusion.
"Well you curl up tiny when asleep for one," he points out. "Then when you move to get comfy you mostly move you mostly move your head and it is like when a cat does the head stroke thing when they don't hate you. And you move to the light for a warm spot. Plus you relax more when I play with your hair kinda like how cats be stroked."
"Great, I sleep weirdly," I huff. He crosses his arms.
"Nope," he states. "More cute..." Not. Cute.

"So we should figure out your Devil Fruit," he points out. I nod. "Since you were so deeply asleep I went to talk to the others. It seems similar to the Phase Phase Fruit but it isn't that one clearly since someone already has it and it looks different."
"Eh..If I can phase through things the 'me looking like a ghost' is going to at least make sense now," I say. "Did I phase through anything when asleep?"
"A bit through the bed but not me..." he says. "Maybe you can't go living things?"
"I'll have to try a tree then," I murmur. "It could end up being only stationary things...People are always moving even a tad."

We head out to the kitchen because Luffy is hungry and I need some tea so I decide to try the lavender tea, figuring this one would not need milk. My hand goes through the handle of the kettle and I huff, focusing then manage to pick it up.
"Huh...that is going to make sneaking into places easier," Usopp comments. "You okay?"
"Mhm," I state, sipping at it, glad to get a small amount of caffeine. "I'm fine."
"You sure?" Sanji asks. I nod again, sitting my Luffy who is making a start on the leaning tower of food.
"Yup," I say. "Have to figure out this whole Devil Fruit thing out but I like challenges so that's good."
"Plus you're really smart so you'll figure something out," Usopp points out.
"Eh, not that smart," I murmur. Sanji, Usopp and Luffy all look at me. "What?"
"Kuro, you're super smart. Like genius smart," Usopp argues.
"Usopp's right, Kuro," Luffy says, giving my arm a slight nudge. "Two words. Self. Esteem."
"I have a self esteem," I mumble.
"Then act like it!" he says with a wide grin.

Eventually it is night time and despite having slept so long I am definitely tired enough to sleep by eleven. However in a way I'm reluctant to. Nightmares are shit and, as cringe as it is, I tend to sleep better when Luffy is around. I am not going to say that to him because it is will make me sound stupid. I know why though. There are a lot of studies on it but sleeping around someone you care about, love or feel safe around vastly improves your sleep. That helps in my case given I struggle with that. It also decreases the worry that any second some kind of deathly trap such as the room becoming a death trap or getting attacked.

I huff, sitting cross-legged on my bed when a knock gets my thoughts and Luffy comes in after I say 'yea'.
"I...do you like it when we stay together overnight?" he asks. "Because you tend to sleep better...Plus I quite like it..."
"Yeah..." I admit, surprised this is mirroring my thoughts so perfectly. "It definitely helps...How come?"
"I was thinking we can share," Luffy says. "I like being with you and if it makes you feel safer..."
"Really?" I ask. He nods and I can't help the smile.
"That would be nice," I agree. Luffy grins widely and sits by me.
"My room is slightly bigger but I know you like tidy so should we use yours until mine isn't a mess?" he suggests. I nod and his grin widens and he sits by me.

"So you know you sleep sitting up due to worries and all that?" he asks and I nod. "If you feel safe then you could try lying down? You may sleep better..."
"I can try," I agree doubtfully. "I have tried before but couldn't even get to sleep but since you're here..." I trail off before I can say something stupid.

We lie down and I rest my head on Luffy.
"You don't mind?" I check because I don't want to be even more of an inconvenience.
"Course not Kuro!" he says, playing with my hair and I feel myself relax even more. "It isn't like you are heavy so it isn't that different and besides, I like being around you." He wraps his arms around me and since it is pretty cold tonight and increases the 'safe' feeling it is a very welcome feeling. I feel myself start slowly drifting off as Luffy carries on playing with my hair.                                           

                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------

A month of adventures has happened, as has sharing, and I can more or less control my ability. Okay, it is easier than most since it isn't a combat fruit but more good for stealth. All I needed to learn was controlling when I phase and it turns out I was right about phasing through stationary things although I can phase carrying a weapon which is not completely still but not through someone else's weapon...Not convenient but I do enjoy this ability. I still have nightmares almost every night but now they are mostly minor enough to cope with and when they are awful Luffy is there and I tend to wake him up with the tossing and turning so I can't lie and say I'm okay. Sleeping lying down took some getting used to but the stiffness has gone down and I feel even more rested with the same amount of sleep.

I wake up to sunlight streaming through the gap in the curtains and glance at the clock. 7am. That is much better sleep than usual. I stretch slightly, careful not to move to much given Luffy has his arms wrapped around me and I don't want to accidently elbow him. I gently detach his arms and he murmurs slightly. I sit up, picking up a book and he settles back down stretching out even more.

The room is tidy enough at the moment which was probably the biggest thing to get used to because I tend to keep things as tidy as possible and Luffy...well he isn't against clutter or organised chaos. In the end Luffy keeps his stuff somewhat tidy and I don't meticulously straighten everything I see. Compromise.

Eventually it is nearly breakfast time so I gently nudge his arm. He just mumbles.
"Luffy, it's nearly breakfast time," I say. Nothing. "There's meat." He sits up bolt right, nearly knocking me off the bed.
"Meat, where?!" he asks. "Oh, morning Kuro!"
"Morning, Luffy," I reply. "Sleep well?"
"Mhm!" he says. "Now come on! Breakfast!" He jumps from the bed and shoves on his sandals. I grab my jacket and slip on my shoes. Honestly it is lucky I wake up way before him because I take a while getting ready I take ages and I would freeze if I was in pyjamas with no duvet, they are way too thin. Maybe I should buy some fluffy ones...

I don't know...I don't care really because at night I tend to be warm enough given Luffy is around plus there is a duvet. I follow Luffy to the kitchen, glad that early mornings these days are less awful because nights are less painful. 

So I drew Kuro again XD

So I drew Kuro again XD. I am having way too much fun writing KuLu stuff. I think they are probably my favourite asexual couple I have ever written.