Chapter Eight: Kitsune Kitsune No Mi

Danni
Since Ben is only eight he eventually heads off for bedtime so I head off to see how everyone is settling in. I head to the library where I know Robin and probably Nova will be. I go in and Robin is sat at one of the desks, a large history book open, lost in the book. Nova is sat on one of the comfy armchairs. Next to him are some books on reality, history mostly, but the fantasy book on his lap suggests he gave up on it. Next to the chair is the bat, slowly bending away from the duct tape.
"Nova, could I talk to you for a moment?" I ask. He looks up from the book and nods, still very cheerful, his eyes having a subtle glow in the darker part of the room. "You said you wanted a new bat, yes?"
"Oh yea," he says. "I forgot about that..."
"Follow me," I say, heading back out of the library. He does and we head through the hallways to a part of the manor which seems to have less in it than the rest. It's deliberate. If people want to break in and steal stuff in a raid some things we do not want them to get. Or, at least, more than others.

I open a door with a pin and it slides open to reveal the weapon room with anything from bows to swords to axes to throwing knives.
"These are all the weapons we have on the island," I explain. Nova looks impressed.
"I've never seen this many weapons in one place," he comments.
"Weren't you in a weapon facility?" I ask.
"Yeah but they kept them away from me in case I used them to escape which I definitely would of," he replies. "Except the bat, because they didn't count it as a proper weapon."
"So what kinda weapon do you want to be good with?" I ask, figuring if he is going to change weapons he has more choice now.
"Probably some sort of bat again," Nova replies with a cheerful grin. "I'm used to it and it's good for offense and defence without killing anyone."
"We have lots of bats, all professionally made," I say. "Take your pick."
"You sure?" he asks: I nod. He selects a metal bat, bronze and gold in colour, a purple diamond shaped pattern outline with black running down the middle of it. The handle of the bat has the same pattern but the woven patterned section for holding is silver.

"How much do you want for it?" Nova asks, twirling the bat, I think to weigh up the weight and balance in a similar way people check with a sword.
"You're with the Straw Hats," I reply. "So it's free of charge."
"Really?" he asks. I nod. "Thanks!" There's a few seconds of pause. "You know a lot about them right? I don't but at least they all seem really nice."
"The majority of them are devil fruit users for one," I say. "And Luffy is going to be king of the pirates one day."
"Maybe I should learn more about them," Nova says. "I joined shortly before we met you so I don't really know anything about them." I feel myself blush at how much stuff I have on them.
"I can help with that too," I say with a smile. "Follow me." He does and we reach my room. "Now...don't freak out..."
"Why would I freak out?" Nova asks, with a confused expression. I open the door to one of the rooms where all my Straw Hat stuff is. There are newspapers, posters, drawings and a lot more things that have come up to do with them over time.
"They've been in a lot of newspapers then," Nova comments.
"Yeah. A lot. They're pretty well known now," I agree. He doesn't seem to be freaking out at all. "How come you're not freaking out?"
"Why would I?" he asks. "I'm weird so I can't judge people."
"Nothing wrong with being a robot," I say.
"No but I'm still weird," he says happily. "Optimistic sugar addict." I giggle.

"So what are you looking forward to?" I ask.
"Snow!" he says happily. "I hope it snows soon!"
"Unfortunately it probably won't," I say with a smile. "But, to be fair, we're on the Grand Line so you may come across a snowy island."
"Yay!" Nova says enthusiastically. I smile.
"You gotta be careful on the Grand Line," I warn because Nova seems to be naive enough to trust anyone and anything. "It is pretty dangerous."
"Danger makes it even better!" Nova enthuses. Oh Jeesh.
"Yeah I know," I say. "Better adventure and all that. Just....try and be careful."
"I'll try," Nova says. "But, unfortunately, I like throwing myself into dangerous situations."
"Well in that case Luffy will be right behind you," I say, chuckling.
"He does that a lot?" Nova asks me.
"All the time," I giggle. "Probably why they get in trouble so much."
"Is that why they are so well known?" Nova asks and I nod.

                                                       *******************************

The sky is a soft pink, gold peeking through wispy clouds, dew drops clinging to delicate webs. They also stay gently on petals and the emerald strands of individual glass. It is cool, a slight breeze, and as the sun slowly rises it dawns on me that it is likely to be nasty weather later so they will stay longer: 'red skies at night, shepherd's delight: red sky in morning, shepherd's warning.' So it may rain, thunder...and I will get more time with the Straw Hats, especially Luffy.

I head inside where I can hear the crew, my dad and Ben talking.
"Dad, do you know where Danni is?" I hear Ben ask.
"I have no idea but she'll be back. Don't worry about her," Dad replies. "Thank you so much Sanji, you don't have to keep cooking for us." So Sanji made breakfast?
"It's not a problem sir," Sanji replies. "You're keeping a roof over our heads whilst Franky and Usopp build the ship." It was super nice of them to offer to build a ship given the condition of mine.
"It'll be a great ship!" Usopp comments and I hear Franky agree as I walk into the dining room.

"Hello there bud," Nami says. "What are you doing in here?" I stare at her in confusion: why wouldn't I be in here, I live here!
"Is it a cat?" Nova asks. Is what a cat?
"It's a fox," Nami replies.
"Oh jeez," Ben says, chuckling. "Danni, you haven't changed back." Confusion fills me then I look down and instead of hands I see paws connected to fiery orange fur. Inwardly I panic and Ben bursts out laughing. Dad chuckles. The crew just look confused.
"What do you mean...That's Danni?" Usopp asks, looking perplexed.
"Yeah! She ate a weird fruit and can now turn into a fox, or she can have the ears and tail whilst maintaining the abilities of a fox like running really fast." I focus and change back to my human form but with the tail and ears.
"So what Devil Fruit was it?" Robin asks.
"Kitsune Kitsune No Mi," Dad explains. "Or the Fox Fox Fruit: it does what it says."
"Is there something wrong?" I ask Usopp who has gone fairly red.
"N-no, no, everything is fine," Usopp says. I sit down and eat some breakfast.
"You sure? You're acting weird," Franky says and Usopp nods.
"I think he's liking your ears Danni~Chan," Sanji comments and I touch one.
"I still can't control it completely," I say, sheepishly.

Luffy
Danni leaves the room to go...somewhere and her Dad goes to work in his study.
"Before you go can you sign my drawing?" Ben asks eagerly.
"People are asking for signatures now?" Nami asks, looking amused.
"Funny pirates we are, right?" Sanji says. "Of course we'll sign it, Ben." I grin and nod in agreement because why wouldn't we? Besides it is super cool! He runs off to find the picture and quickly gets back with the paper in his hand. The drawing is good and extremely in detail, done in paint (watercolour, I think, I don't know really as I don't do art) and is awesome!
"Did you do this?" I ask, impressed.
"No, Danni did. She's great at art!" Ben says. He pauses a moment. "She's great at fighting as well! She uses her daggers mostly but she can use almost anything!"
"She does fighting?" Robin asks, sounding impressed, I look up in interest.
"She has to if she's going out to sea every now and then," her Dad points out. "She learnt most of what she knows."
"But after being taught by uncle Chase she ended up learning more and she ended up getting way stronger and way more powerful! Especially as she is an assassin!"

Danni comes back in.
"So what is everyone doing today?" she asks.
"Me and Usopp are going to work on your ship," Franky says. "And I think Nova is working on the sail for it." Nova nods with an enthusiastic grin.
"Gotta make sure we have enough food and supplies for when we're at sea," Sanji says.
"Ooh get lots of meat!" I suggest. "And I'm going to work on my Third Gear."
"I'm going to check the Log Post and then see on the maps then see where we can go."

We all head off to our retrospective activities and I begin considering the possibility of a new crew member...