Chapter Sixty: A Haunting Encounter

Nova
Hmm. I don't think anyone is too enthusiastic about this island. It could be the multitude of snakes we can see even from the boat, in the water and on the sands. More hang from the branches of the trees that cover the island so there are probably more in the shrubbery and leaves.
"Well we can't explore this island," Nami mumbles. "It would be near impossible for us all to not get poisoned."
"Yeah but it looks like some foods would grow here," Sanji says. "And they're foods we're running low on. We need some type of carb and veg."
"Yeah but that isn't worth getting poisoned over," Nami counters.
"I could go get whatever we need?" I offer, finishing my mug of hot chocolate. "I'm immune to poison so it isn't as risky and the strangly ones are big so I would notice them."
"That could work," Sanji says. "I'll write a list of what we need." Yay, adventure time!

Once I have the list I head off cheerfully, nibbling at a packet of bunny shaped marshmallows, the snakes slivering from the branches whilst one brushes across my arm. I want a pet snake...but you know I am not very responsible and if I had one it may bite everyone. I'd feel mean keeping it in a cage! Maybe I should just have a pet rock...I could add googly eyes to it and draw on a smile! I keep walking, considering that, when the ground suddenly turns into a ditch which I don't notice, and fall down. I get mud splattered down my sleeves and wince, pulling myself up and picking twigs from my hair. Ow. Onwards then?

A disembodied voice echoes around and I look around but can't see anyone. Ooh maybe it is finally a ghost?! I've wanted to see one for ages! There is a shriek echoing now and I shrug, deciding if there is a ghost they will probably make themselves known sooner rather than later.

I notice one of the things growing that was on the list and head over, getting them out of the dirt and put them in the basket I was carrying, glad it didn't break when I fell. A cold hand rests on my shoulder and I glance back but no one is there. Yup, definitely ghosts. Yay! Although they may be a mean ghost which would be less yay. They haven't killed me yet though so maybe nice. I carry on when the shadow in front of me shifts and something appears from it. They have long white blonde hair which is matted and falls into their face. Their features are hard to notice but their eyes are entirely black and there are cracks across their skin the colour of ink. They are barefoot, one of their toes looking like it was bitten off, and they're muddy and bloodied. They are wearing a long white dress which is stained and tattered and look about 20ish. Given they are floating I think they are a ghost.

"Hi!" I greet with a grin. They are silent. "Uh..how are you?"
"You aren't scared of me?" they ask and their voice tends to echo and have a rasping undertone.
"Nope!" I say, cheerfully. "You're a ghost, right? So if I was scared of you for that then I would be super mean and prejudiced!" I don't want to be prejudiced! That's mean and it isn't their fault they are a ghost. At least, I can't assume it is their fault. Besides, I can assume they are a nice ghost because they are having a conversation with me and haven't killed me yet.

"Hmm, unusual," they muse. "Most people are scared of me if they get this far and run into the path of snakes. This is certainly an exception."
"Is that a good thing?" I ask.
"Haven't decided yet," they reply. "Why have you come to this island? To steal the treasure I had when I died? If so then there is nothing good waiting ahead for you."
"There's a treasure?" I ask, mildly surprised. "And no. If it's yours that that would be mean! I'm just getting some food!" They move their hair from their face and give me a disbelieving look. "What?"
"You are like a child," they state.
"That sounds like a bad thing," I mumble. "Oh! Since you're hear do you know where some potatoes grow?"
"Over in that clearing," they says with a resigned look. "You really are just getting food even though you know there is treasure?"
"Yup!" I confirm. "So what's your name?" They float after me as I go to the clearings and get some potatoes.
"I don't have one anymore. I'm dead," they say. Wow they are blunt and cynical. They'd get on with Kuro!
"Okay...what was your name? I'm Nova by the way!" I try, hoping to get a conversation.
"Skyra," they mutter and I grin. Closer to be friends!

"You didn't hear about this island before coming then?" they ask. I shake my head. "So you don't know about the treasure or how I died?"
"Nope," I say.
"Then I shall tell you," they say. It sounds depressing but if they want to get it off their chest then I won't stop them.

They summarise the story of how they hid a treasure on the island from a murderous, power hungry, crew and was caught a few years later. They refused to say the location so they tied her up and threw her into the forest onto a bunch of poisonous snakes, which swarmed her and killed her. They remained as they had 'unfinished business' which I am assuming is to protect the treasure since they have killed people to protect it.
"Now you know what I have done are you still not getting it?" they challenge.
"No," I say, indignantly. "After all you have been through I am not gonna be a jerk!"
"Well, I have been here 2 centuries but you are the one who passes," they muse. "Look in that hollow tree."

I follow their orders and there is a chest in there.
"It is yours," they say.
"But-" I try to argue but fall silent when fangs come from their mouth and expression turns scary.
"No buts," they seethe. "My unfinished business was getting the treasure and books into the right hands." Well Kuro would appreciate the books... "And one of my abilities is mind reading. The fact that you go with sharing the treasure gives you even more reason to be the one I choose. Take it." Reluctantly I pick it up and they smile, the black void of their eyes turning into brown. The cracks fade and there is a burst of light and they're gone. Uh...okay? I think that is good?

                                                   ---------------------------------------------

I get back to the ship, lugging the food and chest, huffing as I finally put it down. Freaking heavy.
"Where did you get that?" Luffy asks me.
"I made a ghost friend!" I say cheerfully. "Apparently I passed a test. Kuro, they mentioned books." On that word he glances up from his book and I grin. We open it and there is money which I can use for new fabrics, some pretty jewels and books. "Kuro, anything interesting?"
"Mhm," he confirms with a smile. "These books are somehow in perfect condition despite being so old. They are some of the best old psychiatry theories, a fantasy book you can't even get anymore, t-"
"We get it, obscure old books only you would be interested in," Nami interrupts. "Look how much money there is!" Well...that is typical. I look at Kuro.
"Well the books are yours," I say cheerfully. "I don't like reading so there's no pint on me having them."

That means Kuro probably won't be talking to us for a few hours since he has new reading material so the treasure was worth someone's happiness alone. I don't really care about money, jewels or books but Kuro is happy plus I made a new friend so today was a success. Plus I can tick making a ghost friend off the list!