Chapter Seventy-Three: Files

Luffy
Kuro, worryingly, ended up with only an hour sleep and came too drained of colour and point blank refusing to retry sleeping. It's breakfast time and we're at an island so we'll be heading out soon so I gently nudge Kuro to get his attention from his – our technically everyone's- thoughts.
"Breakfast time?" I say. "Or cup of tea in your case?" To my surprise he shakes his head which is instant cause of concern. "You don't want tea? Things are bad then..."
"Eh...feel not good. I don't want to risk walking about..." he says, tiredly. "I think I'll skip exploring today as well."
"You sure?" I ask.
"Mhm," he confirms. "In fact when I looked out the window it looks like the town is a several mile walk. People will probably still be in range, but enough away that I may actually be able to sleep for a few hours..."
"Okay," I agree. "Hey, what is going on is serious. The others should know." He gives me a very doubtful look. "They wouldn't judge Kuro."
"I guess so," he murmurs. "But I'm not good at opening up to people. Especially a lot of people when it comes to something this serious."
"I could?" I offer. "Especially since you do need to rest."

Relief and surprise cross his features and he nods.
"That would definitely help," he says. "You really don't mind?"
"Course not," I say, cheerfully, hugging him. "Anything for you!" Realising I said that aloud I blush slightly. "You rest up and I'll see you later, okay?"
"Okay," he agrees. "Have fun." I nod but as I leave I swipe the file, hoping he is too distracted to get my thoughts in particular and head to the dining area.

As I start on my breakfast I huff slightly, still wishing in a way Kuro hadn't killed Keizo so I could punch him in his stupid face.
"Luffy are you okay?" Sanji asks me. "You seem...annoyed."
"I found out what is going on with Kuro," I murmur, tiredly, given I didn't get any sleep last night since I was looking after Kuro.
"Which is?" Usopp asks. I sigh and put my fork down because this is more important than my appetite.

"Keizo made the mind reading constant so he is constantly dealing with it meaning he gets no sleep," I say. "And he can't read the file because of the constant distraction."
"Jeez, that's rough..." Sanji comments. "Is there any way to stop it?"
"I don't know," I reply. "But I am going to read the newer parts of the file and find out!" I look at the daunting size of it. "Easier said than done but it is going to be worth it! Especially if I find something to help Kuro."
"So are you staying here today then?" Robin asks. I shake my head.
"I want to be far enough out of range that he can get some sleep," I say. "Plus apparently lavender tea or mint tea is the most relaxing so I want to pick some up for him." I hear a collective 'awh' from a few people. "...What?"
"You and Kuro are just really cute together," Danni says with a grin. I try to fight a blush but I don't think it is working given a few people's grins.

We head into town and I find a comfy bench and sit on it, skipping to the ending chunk because this would be more recent. Words. So many long words. My brain is confused at this but I think I am getting the general gist.

"How's it going?" Danni asks, coming over and sitting by me.
"Getting there," I say then frown. "I didn't realise how far some of the experiments went. As soon as we get back the first thing I am doing is giving Kuro a big hug."
"Found anything to help him yet?" she asks.
"Not ye-" I turn a page then take a deep breath of relief. "There is something. He would still have the immunity to this kind of thing but would lose illusion shield and mind reading. Devil Fruit."
"That's convenient," Danni comments. "Why does a Devil Fruit help?"
"Apparently as, given this is a recent change to the human structure, an equally drastic one would shift it back," I reply. "Hopefully he is okay with this option, Kuro may not be enthusiastic about losing the ability to swim."
"I think he'd find it better than the constant voices," she points out and I nod in agreement putting the file away. "Should we go find a teashop?"
"Yup!" I say cheerfully.

Once in there are so many tea options. So many that I know I am not just going to get the two I planned on so I pick up a basket with a grin.
"Getting a lot then?" Danni asks me with a grin.
"It's for Kuro," I point out. "He deserves nice stuff with everything he is going on." I put a box of lavender, a box of rose and a box of mint in to start. "Hm. Which next..."
"How about this one?" Danni asks, holding up a box which says 'Lotus Tea'. I've never even heard of that but it sounds cool so I nod happily. As we walk around I end up with an entire basket full of tea which is totally worth the money. I hope it makes Kuro smile because I miss him being actually happy.

"Should I get him a new mug as well?" I say, hovering by some.
"He does have the cat one from Usopp already," Danni points out. "And you are already getting him enough tea. Then again it is Kuro so he probably likes a mugs." I grin and pick up one that is the same design as the mug Usopp got him but it comes with a lid and spoon and has little white belly. It is cute! Kinda like Kuro with that really. I head over and pay, not caring that it is a large amount of money to spend on tea because Kuro is important.

Kuro
After about two hours of sleep I wake up, almost unable to breath with the nightmare with the scalpel just about to twist in my throat. The voices are coming back into range as well so going back to sleep isn't going to happen.

I sigh and move my hair from my eyes, huffing. It is a complete mess and no amount of faffing is making it neat. My hair goes uncooperative even more when tired. I glare at my reflection. Chalk pale and huge bags under my eyes. I look dead or vampire enough at the best of times but now? Yeah, I can see where people are coming from.

A knock at the door breaks me away from my thoughts and everyone else's, making me jump.
"Come in, Luffy," I say and the door opens.
"How'd you know it was m-Oh the mind reading?" he says. I nod and sit on the edge of my bed, resting my head on my knees, wincing as they fill my head. He sits by me and passes me a bag. "Presents for you!" he says, happily. I look in the bag and smile slightly. Tea. Lots of tea. I take out the small box and open it and there is a mug even cuter than the one that Usopp got me. I feel the smile grow slightly. "There's that smile!" Oh gods why does he have to be so cute about everything? "So you like?"
"Definitely," I say. "Thanks Luffy. I look at the top box of teabags. "Lotus tea. One I've never tried so that ought to be nice. Especially as the Lotus Eaters was an interesting myth.
"Ooh tell!" he says, crossing his legs, giving me an eager grin. I smile and nod.

"Odysseus and his crew were blown of course, basically," I reply, going with the short version as it isn't my favourite myth. "Some of them went off and were offered Lotus to eat by the people who lived there. Actually the people themselves weren't bad, they just did...but basically those who ate them lost any desire to leave the island and to be forced away so they wouldn't stay forever or lose their way home."
"That won't happen with the tea will it?" he asks me.
"Nah," I reply. "In fact in other mythologies it represents good fortune or purity of mind and spirit. Things always have mixed meanings."

"Huh...I should get you to tell me more myths, they are super interesting," he comments with a grin. "Oh! I found a way to get rid of the mind reading and being a shield but you may not like it..."
"What is it?" I ask, eagerly. Anything to make this stop. The voices get louder and P pinch the inside of my hands hard to hopefully distract me. It works a tad but Luffy takes my hands, stopping me carrying on.
"Don't do that, you'll hurt yourself," he says, hands nice and warm against mine. "And apparently a Devil Fruit would do it..."
"So I would lose being able to swim and it could have other disadvantages but it would get rid of the voices...." I say, calculating the pros and cons. "Yep. Sounds worth it. And I have one already..."

"Your uncle's one? Controlling plants would be cool," Luffy guesses but I shake my head.
"I don't want to be anything like my family, Luffy," I say. "Especially not him. The one I stole from my family and we picked up in the rain forest."
"Even though you don't know what it does?" he asks in surprise. "You normally like strategizing everything."
"True," I agree. "But there is an exception to every rule. Although I'd better do it now before I start over thinking it." He chuckles and nods so I go over to the box, taking the black fruit tinged with dark purple and silver out. I have it and it is gross.

Almost immediately the voices fade out and I have my head to myself again.
"No more voices," I say in relief. "Luffy, you're the best."
"Nope that would be you," Luffy counters. "So what does it do?"
"No idea," I say. "But I need a nap..." I head over to the bed to sit by him again but somehow go through it, ending up on the floor beneath it and quickly get out and stand back up. "Huh. That's new..."