Chapter Sixty-One: Truth

Luffy
Bored. Bored. Still bored. More bored. I need something to do! I decide to see if I can get Kuro to read to me or play chess against me and head to the library. I see he is sat cross-legged on the sofa, reading one of the books Nova's ghost friend gave him, and hasn't noticed me. I decide to not bother him until I get his attention and sit on one of the chairs to the left of him.

How did it take me so long to realise that the feelings I have is me liking him? It is so obvious now I have realised it and it makes me want to spend even more time with him! Although I am scared in a way about how to handle it. I haven't liked anyone like this before and with how reserved Kuro is with emotion he may not accept it. At the same time though I know I have to tell him somehow because otherwise I will blurt it out at the worst time possible, probably in front of people, which I feel like would be bad. He turns the page of the book and still hasn't noticed me which in a way is kinda cute- he gets really invested in his book and since he probably thinks he's alone he hasn't got his expression guarded at all- and I still don't want to bother him. I like Kuro being happy and he is clearly happy reading. He glances up from the book and our eyes meet. I feel blush rush up to my cheeks as I realise I was staring at him and I got caught doing it.

"Sorry I didn't notice you," he says, breaking me out of my thoughts. "I got pretty lost in my thoughts. Did I completely zone out?"
"Nah it's fine," I say with a wide grin. "I haven't been here ages. You good?"
"Mhm," he says. "This book is really good."
"Will you read it to me then?" I ask, hopefully. I like Kuro reading to me, it's calming and it is an excuse to be around him.
"Luffy, if you want me to read to you I will but I'm not sure you want this particular book though," he says with a small smile. "A lot of the phrases and statements are in Latin." Latin? Ugh. Too clever for me so very Kuro. "If there is another book though I'll read it."
"Yay!" I enthuse, clapping my hands slightly. "Any recommendations?"
"Uh...there's a book on my desk you may like?" he says. "I brought it in case you wanted me to read to you..." Awh, that is so nice of him! I dash off and grab it. I run back so fast that I trip, falling face first onto the sofa and end up headbutting Kuro's shoulder. Oops?

"Sorry," I say, blushing even more, sitting cross-legged by him and rub my head where I bashed.
"It's fine," he says. "You okay?" I nod.
"Storytime?" I hope. He nods and I grin, resting my head on his shoulder so I can listen. He is pretty comfy...

He is halfwayish through a chapter when I realise I am staring at him again, realising that his hair is falling in his eyes as he reads. I reach up and brush it from his eyes and tuck it out of the way, the way he usually has it. He pauses in his reading and I'm worried that I messed up.
"Sorry!" I say, quickly, hoping he isn't annoyed.
"It's fine Luffy," he says. "Just surprised me." It is pretty obvious he is suppressing a smile.
"Why do you try not to smile so much?" I ask. "You're cute when you smile!" Oh no. No. I didn't just say that aloud. No, no, no... Kuro buries his face in his hands and I think I definitely messed up.
"Sorry! I didn't mean to say that aloud!" I exclaim.
"It's fine," he mumbles, peeking out slightly. "Not cute..." I very much disagree. Especially his reaction! That is totally cute.

Like I did when he fell asleep against me I gently move his hands from his face and see he is refusing to make eye contact with me but he doesn't look annoyed. I'm not sure how he looks but for some reason I figure since I have already dug myself a hole I may as well tell him. I force myself to slowly get to the point, not blurt it out although it is very tempting.

"So...what are your thoughts on dating? Good? Illogical?" I ask. If he just says 'bad' then I will leave it be but be sad.
"Formally uninteresting and pointless," he says, my hope dwindling slightly. "But recently, good but illogical?" I think that is a sign that it may be okay to go on.
"So do you like anyone?" I push. He gnaws on his lip and instantly trains his gaze down, shifting slightly in the chair. Is that a yes?
"Do you?" he asks, not answering my question but I figure I am the more open of the two. I nod, cheerfully, then wonder why his shoulders sink slightly. "Who?"
"Uh..are you sure you want to know?" I ask with a doubtful look. He nods but still seems slightly down. "You..."

Shock appears in his eyes and I think I definitely screwed up. He is judging, I ruined our friendship and he will never take me seriously again. Especially as he isn't saying anything.
"Okay..I'm going to go," I say, getting ready to run off.
"Wait, I was trying to get words," he says, not sounding annoyed. If anything I would say he sounds happy for some reason. I stop, fidgeting slightly, wanting the ground to swallow me up. "Did you...did you mean that?" I nod, blushing fiercely. "Well that makes me feel less bad about my emotions lately."
"Huh?" I ask in confusion.
"I..." he stares at the ground again and there is a slight tinge of colour in his cheeks. Subtle enough that I wouldn't notice unless I was really paying attention but definitely there. "I like you. I just didn't say anything because...reasons."
"Wait you do?" I ask, heart rising in my chest. He nods. "Yay!" I spontaneously hug him, resisting the urge to jump up and down. Kuro likes me!

"I'm surprised you like me," he murmurs. "You could do much better."
"Nope!" I say. "You're perfect!" He again retreats to hiding behind his hands and I chuckle slightly, moving them.
"So does that mean I can ask you on a date?" I ask which is kind of me asking within an ask?
"I-if you want to?" he asks which is a yes.
"Yay date!" I say. "I'll plan it! I give him another hug and skip off right into the door. Ow... I quickly dash off once it is open and run to my room, trying to brainstorm date ideas. It has to be something nice and special because it is Kuro.

Kuro
Luffy likes me. Luffy told me he likes me. Luffy asked me on a date. I try to piece it all together and the very happy feeling I have. Wait I'm going on a date? What does one do on a date? How do you act on a date? Will he still like me after the date or realise what a disaster I am? Am I going to stop worrying and just be happy that someone as great as Luffy likes me. Oh gosh am I dreaming? This is too good to be reality, right? I pinch my arm, hard, and wince. No this is reality. Luffy liking me is reality. I'm going on my first date. I think I need to go to my room so no one sees the internal breakdown of happiness in case they think I am going mad. This bubbly happiness...I haven't felt it before, it feels weird but good weird.

Once in my room lie on my bed, hands under my head, staring at the ceiling. I need time to process this happiness. Oh gods, what if he tells the crew? I like him and am not embarrassed to go on a date with him but I am still getting used to being 'open' so I don't want to be opening up to that many people about emotions. The worry though, for once, is outweighed. I decide to read for a bit to get my mind not exactly off it but off it enough that I don't make it obvious when interacting with other people later. I hear a knock on my door.
"Come in," I say, glancing the door, and Luffy comes in with a grin.
"You left your book, I went back in there," he says putting it on the desk. "Why are you staring at the ceiling?" I shrug and sit up. "So...is there anything for the date you wouldn't like?"
"Don't think so," I say. "I mean I like spending time with you and on a date we'd be doing tha-oh I said that aloud..." Please kill me now. Actually no. If I died there would be no date. Okay, today is going good...I don't think anything could ruin today.