Chapter Twenty: New

Kuro
Fatigue rests in my muscles, leaving a slight ache in the joints, the flames no longer a nice light but tiring. When I blink I feel like I am about to drop off, which would be bad. Especially with people around, I don't want people knowing why I have any kind of an aversion to sleep. I pinch the insides of my hands, hard, the action causing my nerves to snap to attention even for a brief moment. Outside is the distinct chirping of the early bird. The ones in question, given away by the high sweet notes is the Crystallo Ignis, which more or less means Crystal Fire. Aptly named, really, as their feathers glisten like crystals, sparkling silver against the snow and is something you would think would give them away to predators in a heartbeat. That is where the 'Ignis' comes in. The birds are small but can be quite dangerous if they need to be, especially if they feel threatened. They can send sparks from their beaks and in a group, doing that at once, can kill a sizable predator. However, if you approach them right, they can be quite friendly. Especially if you bribe them with the right treat which, you know, is pretty understandable. People give in to bribes often enough as well so the birds should be entitled too.

I head out of the door, Nova giving me a questioning look but I don't say anything, and I head out into the far too deep snow. I'm glad I only just got over being ill as that normally gives me a few days rest bite and I quietly head to where one of the birds is picking up a snowdrop in its beak. I stop quietly by it, with a seed on my palm, and after a few moments it flutters up and I run a gentle finger on its head. It chirps slightly and I smile for a second, before forcing my expression back into a blank expression. Emotions are a good way to get yourself hurt. They are not worth the effort when they only cause hardship and pain in the long run. Still, even I have to admit, I'm not unhappy or angry with small, cute animals like this.

"What you doing?" a voice asks, the bird starts slightly but doesn't fly off. I turn around and see Luffy with a curious expression, meaning I must have gotten lost in my cynical evaluation of emotions. I don't answer and just look at the bird, not wanting to startle it. "Aw it looks cute...can I eat it?"
"Not edible," I reply, careful to be quiet so I don't startle it. "The sparks it produces leave a residue which is poisonous to humans if consumed."
"Oh," he replies, looking somewhat disappointed. "Then can I hold it?"
"You can try," I say, passing him one of the seeds so it will be somewhat tempted to shift itself. "Oh, and try to be quiet. They can be rather easily spooked." After a moment it flies over to Luffy, landing on his finger. It stays long enough to get the seed then flies back off to its nest, probably to stay there until dusk when it gets more food.
"Guessing there is a lot of interesting nature here," Luffy comments, leaning against the wall slightly. I nod. "What else is there?"
"Honestly, those birds are the most interesting," I reply. "Although there are a species of wolf, which can run nearly as fast as a cheetah, which live in the far mountain." "
"Are they edible?" Luffy asks and I fight a smile at that comment, because he really is nice company. Nicer than my former boss at least.
"I guess?" I hazard a guess. "But, my guess is, the meat would be rather tough and chewy."

We head back inside, mostly as Luffy complains that he is hungry, and he heads right for the breakfast supplies, mostly the meat. It is pretty obvious what he likes to eat, even to me who doesn't really know him. I go back to my book, just getting to the element where the case studies correlate with the theories. Somewhat decent theories for some and others are just stupid. I guess that is why it is called theories and not practicalities. Danni, Usopp and Nova head off again – I'm pretty sure so Usopp can avoid me- and Luffy sits opposite me with his legs crossed. I glance up from the book, assuming he wants to talk, and am right when he grins likely as he has realized he has my attention.
"Soooo what do you miss about being a pirate?" he asks me with a grin.
"Probably the adventures, and seeing new places," I admit. "Especially as this place is too cold...Plus I miss getting in trouble which is rather not good but oh well." Luffy chuckles.
"Well getting in trouble can be pretty fun," Luffy agrees with a wide grin. "So what are you going to do once we go?" Probably be unable to get a job, get weaker from the cold, and get killed without having much motivation to prevent it. I don't say that though.
"I don't know," I say. There's a short silence, where Luffy has a ponderous expression.

"Join us!" he exclaims, getting a mixed variation of expressions from the crew. Mostly shock and a tiny bit of irritation.
"Wait, really?" I ask in surprise. I am normally quite good at planning ahead or reading what people will do but Luffy is pretty unpredictable. Probably explains how he has such a reputation and how he has taken down so many formidable foes.
"Yeah," he replies. "If you're not our enemy anymore, and you don't seem to be, then why not?" I look at him in surprise because his logic is right but I wasn't expecting anything this nice. "So? You joining?" I nod, happier than I have been in a while because for once something is going right. "Yay!"
"Usopp isn't going to be happy about this," Nami comments.
"He'll get over it," Sanji says with a shrug. "Besides. There's no talking Luffy out of anything, especially a new crew member."
"Very true," Franky says with an eye roll. "He is definitely persistent."

Eventually we head to town to meet up with Usopp, Danni and Nova. My stuff is limited to my backpack and then my books. I have more books than anything else because they are one of the few bits of enjoyment I get from the day to day.
"Alright, we're ready to go," Nami tells them.
"About time..." Usopp mutters, glaring at me. I don't comment towards the evident hatred because really it is something we agree on and his anger is entirely justified. No one is denying that. Especially not me.
"Usopp...We have something to tell you that you may not like," Sanji says.
"What?" Usopp asks warily. I really hope this doesn't make him too pissed off at me but it probably will.
"Luffy asked Kuro to join the crew," Robin tells him. Usopp's glare hardens as his gaze locks on my bag and the many bags of books, no doubt realizing I said yes.
"Are you kidding me?!" he snaps, seemingly angry at everyone over this. "After everything he did?!"
"Usopp, hey, it'll be okay," Danni says, putting a hand on his shoulder. He angrily shakes it off.
"If he hurts or kills anyone I warned you and its is not my problem!" he snaps, storming onto the ship.

I'm quiet, feeling surprisingly guilty. I don't want any negative ramifications to others for my decisions. I'm really hoping me joining doesn't make anyone hurt too much but now I am worried that Usopp won't get over it, will be really upset and it'll be my fault. It is too late to take it back though and I want to be in the crew. Is that selfish of me?

"I'll take you to your room," Luffy says with a grin, his happy demeanour shaking off my worries for a moment. I follow behind him, the ship quite nice, as he points out where everything is n the way. The ones that stands out to me is the library because books and the kitchen because kettle for tea.
"And this will be your room," he says with a grin. "I'll leave you to unpack your stuff and if you ever buy anything feel free to customize your room with paint or new bedding or new furniture or such." I thank him and he heads off, calling Sanji for meat.

I head in and it is probably the nicest room I have ever had, where really there is not much competition it is still a nice change. There is a single bed, instead of a hammock which is surprising, with plain bedding which is soft to the touch against the far wall. The pillows are big and fluffy which is always good and it is beside a desk with a lamp on it. The windowsill is just thick enough to sit on and is beside a bookshelf which I begin to put my books on in alphabetical by author order an put my absolute favourites on my desk. The door opens and I glance up to see Usopp with an infuriated expression, hate raging in his eyes. Uh oh.

"Hi?" I say. Stupid! 'Hi?' What the hell was that? Stop being such a stupid fricking dork you idiot!
"Hi?!" he snaps, with disbelief in his voice. Yup a stupid thing to say. "This act isn't working on me, Kuro. The others may be falling for it but not me!" I give him a blank expression then it dawns on me that he thinks I am still an evil asshole. Which, to be fair, often concerns me so no judgment here. "Let me tell you, Kuro, I won't let you kill any of my friends." He grabs me by the collar. "If you try I will kill you. Clear?"
"Crystal," I reply, undeterred by any death threat but still surprised as he storms out the room, slamming the door behind him.