Chapter Forty-Seven: Storytime

Danni
Trying to get the nerve to do this is difficult. More difficult than I thought it would be. I keep getting the bottle to do it, go over to him and change my mind, deciding to talk about anything else instead. The weather came up yesterday. I said it was nice when it was raining. The look he gave me made me feel like such a hopeless dork! It was so embarrassing and I kind of hoped the ground would swallow me up. I pace back and forth along the deck, trying to not wring my hands as well because that would be overly dramatic. Teenage fangirl dramatic.
"Are you okay?" a quiet voice asks me, making me jump. I see Kuro, looking concerned, sipping at a green tea. I nod. "Are you sure? You seem stressed."
"How do I ask Usopp out?" I ask. He's smart so he may have some kind of idea on what to do, even if dating isn't his forte. Kuro gives me a blank look and shrugs.
"Tell him you like him so he doesn't think the going out is just as friends?" he suggests. "I don't know, I've never been on a date and probably never will." I giggle, shaking my head slightly at the bluntness.

It is good advice though and I figure that I had better get this over with before I decide never to do it. I head over to where he is and sit next to him with a grin, somewhat forced, because I am so freaking worried.
"Hi," I say, fidgeting with my hands, trying to muster the courage to look up at him.
"Hi," he says, giving me a grin. "You okay?"
"Mhm," I say. "Uh...so...I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime? I like you. As in like you, like you...God, I'm messing this up. Ack." I take a deep breath. "Okay, basically, I've liked you a while so I was wondering if you would like to go on a fate?" I risk glancing up. His expression is a mix of surprise and I hope happiness as he gawks at me. I look back down, feeing y cheeks heat up with a fierce blush, waiting for his answer. I feel like such an idiot and it'll be even worse if he says no.

"I'd love to!" he says and I take a breath of relief. I glance up again and see he is also blushing. That ends up making me blush more but I am so happy!
"So...where should we go?" I ask.
"Not sure," he says with a shrug. "We should maybe wait for an island with more on it, especially as today almost everything is closing for an island wide party apparently."
"Ooh party? Will there be booze?" I ask, eagerly. He sighs.
"Probably," he says with a chuckle. "If we go pace yourself this time though, okay?"
"Fine..." I agree. Then smile. "I can't wait for the next island." Then I bite my lip as I realise I said that out loud. Oops. I am an idiot...
"Same," he says. Then grins. "Hey, I have a date idea so can I plan the first one?"
"Sure," I agree. "So what's your idea?"
"Wait and see," he replies, chuckling. Aw... "I don't even know if there will be one on the next island anyway." I grin and we head to the deck together, holding hands, quickly stopping when we see the others. The last thing we know is them making fun of us again or doing a 'finally' rant.

Everyone is doing stuff and Kuro is teaching Luffy chess again which I didn't see him taking an interest in really. I think they're doing a mini game, Kuro has three pawns and Luffy has a bishop. Not sure what the point of it is or what you do but given Luffy's wide grin I am assuming it is fun. Usopp comes over as well, looking amused.
"Kuro, how did you convince Luffy to get chess lessons?" he asks.
"He asked me to teach him..." Kuro says with a shrug, moving one pawn forward.
"Yea!" Luffy says. "It's fun! I like this mini game even more than the pawn one...it is a bit easier. Although Kuro is still beating me..."
"I did use to do chess competitively so if I didn't win when you're only just learning it would be slightly concerning..." Kuro says with a small grin. Luffy chuckles.

"So guys, there's a party on the island. Are we going?" I ask. "Booze, junk food, meat...Sounds like everyone would enjoy it." Everyone looks enthusiastic about that idea.
"Course we can go!" Luffy exclaims with a grin. "What is life without some fun?!"
"Ugh...I'll stay here," Kuro mutters. "One party is enough for a decade..."
"You can't just stay here by yourself..." Luffy says, looking concerned.
"I'll be fine," Kuro replies. "I have books..."
"Well I'll stay then," Luffy says, stubbornly, crossing his arms. "We both stay or we both go."
"Fine...I'll go to the stupid party," Kuro says, looking rather irritated but giving in easier than I thought he would. He is normally stubborn. "It isn't fair for you to miss out..."
"Nope!" Luffy says with a wide grin. "We're staying here and reading!" Okay, what is going on...?

"I don't think you've ever read a book, Luffy..." Nami comments with a surprised expression.
"Can't be that hard," Luffy says, optimistically. "Besides, if it comes down to it then Kuro can help me." Kuro looks surprised as well, but more controlled than most of the crew, and nods in agreement. Since when was Kuro optionally this sociable? Oh well. It is probably good that Kuro is socialising more.
"Alright, we'll see you guys later," Sanji says as we leave. As we head off I'm excited for the part and booze but much more excited for the date, glad I finally asked.

Luffy
"You really don't mind missing the party?" Kuro asks me with a doubtful expression.
"There's always future parties," I say with a shrug. "And I want you to be happy! Especially as how down you've been since yesterday when I got you to tell me about Keizo." I notice him flinch at the mere mention of the name and instantly feel bad. "Sorry..."
"It's fine," he says with a shrug but I am not convinced. I figure changing the subject is probably a good idea.
"So what book do you think I should read?" I ask, enthusiastically. "Do you have anything that wouldn't hurt my brain too much? I probably couldn't read any of the overly complex stuff that you like."

"Yeah, I've got an idea..." he says with a grin. I follow him to his room, surprised it isn't the library. He skims through a shelf and pulls a slimmer book out with fancy prints and hands it over to me. I read the title- Sunsets at Morning- and glance at the blurb. Seems to be fantasy, end of the world or something and looks really interesting. I also see first edition and it has illustrations every few pages.
"This book looks expensive," I comment in concern, opening it and seeing it is signed.
"Yup," Kuro confirms with a shrug.
"And you're trusting me with it?" I ask. He nods.
"If something is genuinely important to someone you look after it really well," he says. "Plus it is one of the few books I have that I think you'd like. In fact it's one of my favourites...despite knowing most of the story by now and it being a YA book...plus the ending is a bit iffy."

I start reading whilst Kuro reads a dull looking text book but find I'm a really sow reader and keep forgetting what I just read.
"Kuro...could you read it to me?" I ask, doing the best puppy eyes I can muster.
"Sure," he agrees with a small grin. "If it is really bad though let me know, I've never read aloud much before..."
"Yay!" I cheer, clapping my hands slightly. I decide, since that will probably take a while, to get comfy. I try to find a comfy spot then decide to use his lap as a pillow and look up at him, waiting to listen.

From underneath the ice the body's eyes opened. Its green eye full of malice, it's blue one full of fear as they tried to blink against the murky water. They took a deep breath, the water filling their lungs but it didn't choke them. It didn't burn. It didn't lead the body back into Hades' realm. They felt the power of the waves and ice flow through them and smugness filled them. It was time for a rematch. This time the boy born of flames and the girl who ran with wolves would pay.

"Hang on, is this a sequel?" I interrupt. "Because the characters already know each other."
"No," Kuro replies with a small smile. "Unlike most stories the characters do have history and we learn about that as it goes on."
"Kay," I say, happy I now understand, settling back into the story with a smile.