Chapter Seventy-One: Sandcastles

Danni
It has been a week and a half since we escaped Keizo and that long since we had decent weather. Finally though we enter an area of heat, no clouds and sunshine. Much better... I go over and sit next to Usopp but he is working on something so doesn't notice. It isn't anything that'll be dangerous if I distract him. I go into my fox form and jump onto his lap, booping him with my nose and putting my paws on him. He jumps slightly and chuckles. I jump off into human form but keep the ears and tail, standing in front of him.
"Hey Danni," he says. "Glad to finally get some sun?"
"Yup," I confirm. "I was done with the rain."
"Yeah same," he agrees. "The constant grey wasn't fun."
"So you know we said we'd go out somewhere on the next island?" I ask and he nods. "I was thinking we should maybe just go for a picnic and get some sun?"
"That would be nice," he agrees and I grin happily. Yay.

We get to an island with white sands, perfect blue sea and absolutely no shops or people so it is pretty good that we stocked up on supplies on the last island. I grab the picnic basket I asked Usopp for and take Usopp's hand, skipping to a part of the island beach where hopefully the others will leave us be. We set up the picnic blanket and watch the gentle waves as we take out the food.
"Wow Sanji takes picnics seriously," I say, giggling. "I was just expecting sandwiches. This is a feast!"
"Well Sanji does like cooking," Usopp points out. "Plus he probably figured it was a date. What should we start with?" As an answer I hold up whatever it is wrapped in tinfoil. We unwrap it and there is cold chicken with some sauce on it. We cheers with the chicken and eat it, the food being so good it is pretty distracting from the date really.

We finish the savoury and already I am stuffed. Chicken, sandwiches, breadsticks, a rice salad, scotch eggs and crisps.
"Should we save the sweet stuff for a bit?" I suggest.
"Definitely," he agrees, lying back on the blanket with his hands behind his head and yawns which makes me yawn. We both laugh. I change back into a fox and curl up on his lap, figuring being full and this warm weather are a good opportunity for a nap. He chuckles and strokes my ears, making my stretch out slightly, relaxing with the person I love and the sun.

I wake up and roll over forgetting where I am and land off the blanket getting a mouthful of sand. I cough, trying to lose the taste and quickly turn human again, chugging down the almost lukewarm water.
"You okay?" Usopp asks me. I give him a thumbs up, still trying to get rid of the taste.
"How long was I asleep?" I ask. He shrugs.
"I fell asleep too," he replies. "Hungry yet or should we wait a bit longer?"
"Wait?" I suggest and he nods. "Ooh we should build a sandcastle!"
"We don't have a bucket or spade though," he points out.
"And?" I ask. "We have our hands and we can use one of the bottles of water to wash them before eating!"I give him an eager look.
"Okay, sure," he agrees. I grin. This ought to be fun!

It is slow process because of how perfect the sand is so we head closer to the sea so we can reach wet, malleable sand. It is lumpy, misshaped and more of a pile than a castle but at least it is fun. Very fun!

Eventually we have a pretty big heap and we try to shape it somewhat but it stays determinedly not a castle.
"Should we add a few small ones around it to be towers?" I ask doubtfully. I don't think that would help it all that much.
"Worth a shot," he says. "Maybe then it would look less like an ant hill." We get some more sand, piling it at the sides and it does something. I'm not sure if it helps or not but it does do something.
"Next time we should bring a spade or bucket," I comment, using the bottle to wash my hands and he nods in agreement as I pass the bottle to him.

We make a start on the dessert and there is loads of that as well. Strawberries dipped in chocolates, nut cookies and lemon curd tarts.
"I don't think we'll have much dinner tonight," I comment, quickly becoming stuffed again, licking some of the chocolate off my fingertips. Nom.

"Want to paddle?" he offers. "I can stay with you in case there's a current."
"Okay, sure!" I agree, glad I was wearing a swimsuit under my outfit so I don't get my clothes ruined and put a toe in the water. It is cool but not freezing and feels nice against the heat. I put my feet in, and feel the waves gently hit up my legs. We wade in waist deep and thankfully there is no current so I can actually have fun. I giggle and splash Usopp in the face. He splashes me back and we end up having a water fight when I lose my footing and fall into the water. Usopp quickly helps me back to the surface and I cough up seawater then giggle.
"Oops," I say. "Thanks Usopp."
"No problem," he says. "Are you okay?!"
"Mhm!" I say and to prove it I splash him again. "See! Fine!"

Slowly the sun begins to sink so we decide to head back before it gets too late and before the crew start worrying. We get to the ship, trailing some sand and.
"How was your twos day?" Robin asks.
"Pretty good," I say with a smile. "Sanji, thanks for the picnic. It was great!"
"You're welcome," he says with a smile.
"So what did you guys do?" Usopp asks.
"Most of us hung out on the beach," he replies. "Not sure what Kuro did though..." Given the crew are all eating dinner I look at Kuro for an answer but he doesn't answer. He doesn't even react to his name, just stirring around the ramen. Although recently this has been normal for Kuro. He has been out of it most of the time lately, seeming distracted and out of it. It doesn't help with the 'trying to figure it out' when he keeps denying everything is wrong when it so obviously is.

"Kuro? What did you do today?" I ask and he does actually notice that thankfully.
"Nothing," he replies, quietly, still only picking at his food looking worn out. Nothing? Not reading, not origami? Just nothing? All day? How?
"Are you okay?" Usopp asks him. "You're acting off."
"I'm fine," he mutters, finishing the ramen. "See you later." He heads off and me and Usopp exchange a look. He definitely isn't okay. I glance at Luffy who is looking at where Kuro left with a concerned look.
"Luffy, do you know what's going on?" I ask him.
"Some of it," he says with a frown. "But I don't think he is telling me close to everything ...I know he's stressed due to the Keizo situation but there has to be more to it."
"He isn't opening up to you?" I ask in surprise. "So it is something very serious."
"That's what's worrying me," Luffy replies. "But if I push it he'll probably not open up at all knowing him if it is something this serious."

"Hey, I have an idea that could be fun," Usopp suggests. "On the next island why don't we go on a double date? I mean that could distract him from whatever is bothering him."
"That could be fun," I agree. "What do you think, Luffy?"
"Yeah sure," he agrees with a smile. "I'll go let Kuro know."

He heads off with a grin.
"Good idea Usopp," I say with a smile. "Dates are fun so double dates should be to."
"Plus it means that maybe Kuro will have a distraction and may open up to Luffy," he adds and that would be good. We all know by now Kuro staying this reserved doesn't end well. Especially as everyone is worried but he seems to have gone back to the doubtful mindset on that.