Chapter Eighteen: Dawn

I love the new cover of my story! Full credit to Huntershaz cos it is the bestest thing I have ever seen! 

Danni
I wake up with my paws numb from the cold, tail wrapped around me like a blanket. It got colder since I fell asleep then. I yawn and stretch, looking at the window which has dim light creeping through the few not frozen patches. The fire is still lit but is now much smaller, flickering slightly, barely illuminating the corner of the room that it is in. Nova is sat sewing something and Kuro is still reading by the inconsistent light from the flames. Everyone else is still asleep except for Franky who is not yet back from repairing the ship.
"What time is it?" I ask, not feeling entirely rested, likely a result of the numbing cold.
"About six," Kuro replies, glancing up momentarily, the shadows under his eyes even more prominent than they were yesterday. Even in this poor light I can tell that much so I'm guessing he didn't get any sleep. Usopp wakes up, rubbing his eyes, shivering.
"Is it me or has it got colder?" he asks me, sleepily.
"It has," I agree. "It is still probably warmer than out there though." I look at Kuro. "Is it normally this cold in the mornings?"
"More or less," he says. "Normally the fire doesn't go out this much but beside that..." "Why not just relight it then?" Usopp mutters, rolling his eyes. With their past I'm guessing he will nitpick absolutely anything he does.
"I lost my job," Kuro points out. "So there is no way to afford matches and most of the wood I would use to light it given most of the wood here is drenched. Unless you buy it new which is expensive..." Usopp doesn't answer that, probably because Kuro made a very good point.

Robin wakes up, yawning.
"Is it morning yet?" she asks, stretching slightly.
"It sure is," I reply.
"Oh, then morning then," she says with a small smile, reaching for her jacket and slipping it on. I really should have brought another jacket yesterday or picked one up from the ship before we left Franky to fix it. Everyone else slowly wakes up; Chopper one of the few who isn't finding it colder. To be fair he grew up somewhere freezing cold and he has fur which definitely helps. Most of us grew up in warmer places so we aren't going to be happy about waking up somewhere freezing.
"Morning Kuro!" Luffy says, cheerfully, no doubt deciding to like Kuro after he helped.
"Morning," Kuro replies, closing the book that he seems to have finished, rubbing his eyes tiredly. The action knocks his glasses askew and he pushes them back up, causing Usopp to scowl even more. Right, Kuro used to do that a lot apparently so it likely leaves bad memories for Usopp.

"I'm hungry," Luffy whines.
"Well we'll have to wait Luffy," Sanji says. "It looks like the only food is rolls and one, those are someone else's and two there isn't enough for all of us."
"But I want meat!" Luffy complains and I try not to giggle at his sulky expression as he huffs slightly.
"Well we'll have to go shopping and get some then," Robin points out.
"I'm too hungry to shop though!" Luffy protests with a frown. I giggle and scamper out the door, deciding to sort out this before Luffy goes mad with hunger or the others go mad with his complaining.

I shift into my human form so I can actually buy stuff- soft warm rolls straight from the oven, meats such as chorizo, cold chicken and cocktail sausages, cartons of juice and as an afterthought a big bar of chocolate for Nova. I put it into a satchel and once back outside shift back into a fox, carrying the handles in my mouth to make things easier. Someone leaves me a bowl of ramen, which I'm happy about, and several people seem to be gathering around, making me slightly self conscious. I'm guessing they really like foxes here then. A lot of places are into fox hunting which makes transforming risking but here I get free food and I am not going to complain.

Once I have finished I head back to Kuro's and go back into the slight warmth shaking the damp snow from my fur and shift back to my human form but with the fox ears.
"Where did you go?" Usopp asks me.
"Getting breakfast," I say, cheerfully, placing the bag down. "I got a lot so it should be good to help yourselves. Oh, Nova? I got you this!" I toss him the bar of chocolate and his expression lights up even though he misses the catch and it hits him in the face. Oops...
"Thanks Danni," he says, cheerfully, making a start on it right away whilst Luffy attacks the meat.