Chapter Eighty-Four: Announcing

Usopp
At breakfast we walk in to the room where everyone is sat eating, or in Kuro's case just drinking tea. As we sit down we exchange looks as we try to figure out how to tell them. It is the best thing ever but it is somehow something hard to just come out and say.
"How was your date?" Sanji asks us.
"It was nice..." Danni replies with a small smile. "Something pretty amazing happened, actually."
"What's that?" Robin asks. Danni grins even wider.
"Usopp proposed!" she exclaims, holding up her hand to show the ring. I think it was a good choice, especially as the orange gems catch on the light seeming almost like candlelight. Instantly all attention is on us, except for Kuro who already knew who sticks to his book.
"Kuro, not gonna pay attention to something this important?" Sanji asks, rolling his eyes.
"Kuro already knew," I say, standing up for him. Kuro has been beyond helpful with this.

"So when's the wedding?" Franky asks eagerly. "Soon?" I chuckle, awkwardly.
"Weddings, even casual ones, take some planning," I point out. "So it'll be months at the earliest."
"Awh," he complains. "It's going to be super cute though!" Shoulda seen that reaction coming, really. "At least we can throw an engagement party tonight though!"
"Huh?" Danni asks. The rest of the crew ignore that and start agreeing with him. So we're having a party tonight? Okay then. No complaints from me.
"You two go out have fun," Nami adds. "We'll set it all up and it can be a semi-surprise."
"Do we have a say in this?" Danni asks.
"Nope," Nami replies. "Bye, have fun!" Did we...did we just get kicked out? "Don't come back until dinner time." Yup, we got kicked out. Oh well, we can have fun together. Maybe we can see if there is another Build a Bear or something here and go get some ramen. Plus there is finally a party Kuro will attend. Makes a change.

Me and Danni head out, hand in hand, talking about the engagement.
"I'm probably going to get the best possible dress," Danni points out after a while. "Plus it'll give Nova something new to work on."
"Hadn't thought of that," I admit. "Good idea though. Are you gonna have either Nami or Robin be your maid of honour?" She shakes her head.
"I couldn't choose between them," she admits. "Are you gonna have a best man?"
"Mhm!" I confirm. "And I already know exactly who."

                                     -----------------------------------------

When we get back it is pretty obvious our friends don't do things by halves. Every railing has fox shaped fairy lights covering them and as it begins to fade to night they light up the entire deck of the ship. The darker spots have lanterns that add a softness to the lighting but is still really pretty. The long table is set up outside and every inch of it is covered by food from fancy stuff on sticks to a profiterole tower. There is also a small pile of gifts wrapped in shiny silver paper. This is a tad overboard...We get pulled over to the gifts and make a start unwrapping them.

Most of them are the (good) generic you would usually expect from engagement gifts. Booze, chocolates, bath products...The one from Kuro though is unexpectedly nice. Since Build a Bear is a chain and he knows we've been there in a date he has brought us one of the tickets for a bear each with as much customisation as we want. Unexpected but brilliant!
"Looks like we're going to Build a Bear next time it's on an island then," I say to Danni with a grin and she nods in agreement.

Before long the party is in full swing and Danni is pacing herself with the alcohol surprisingly.
"I actually want to remember tonight clearly," she says with a grin. "And it looks like everyone is having fun."
"Yeah, Kuro doesn't look tempted to burn a party down to the ground again," I agree with a grin. "Although he doesn't look like he's having much fun either."
"Well it is a party," she says with a giggle. "Want some more of the food?" I nod and we head over, refilling our plates.
"I'll be right back," I say to her. "Need to ask Kuro something." She nods and I head over to where he is sat cross leggeded with unsurprisingly a book.

"Even a party you can't stop reading, huh?" I say with a chuckle.
"Eh, I'm never going to be a party person," he says wryly. "Although this party isn't overly crowded or loud so it isn't all bad." That's an improvement then!
"So...I was wondering if you would be my best man?" I ask, hopefully. "We aren't having a big, traditional wedding so you wouldn't have to do much or even a speech. It is basically helping with planning or helping when I start panicking."
"Really?" he asks with a surprised expression. I nod eagerly. "Okay, sure."
"Kuro, you're the best!" I say, cheerfully. "I will make this up to you...Probably in tea!" With that out the way I head back over to Danni.
"Best man sorted!" I report, cheerfully.

"It's surprising how well you two get along," she comments with a grin.
"Yeah I used to be a jerk..." I agree, embarrassed at how petty I got. "Especially with the comments I've made before. Turns out he is a pretty great friend though."
"Yup!" she agrees. "I can see why you chose him as your Best Man."
"Especially as he helped the engagement go smoothly," I agree. "I was panicking like hell."
"You would have made it work," she says with a grin. "And everything is nice with you." I feel myself blush at that. How is it we have been together for so long and I blush so much around her? I should be used to her being adorable by now. Adorable and perfect...

Luffy
The party doesn't end until 3am and by the time it is over I have eaten all the food others didn't and am getting pretty sleepy. Me and Kuro head to our room and I lie down beside him, lying on my side so I can face him.
You knew?" I ask. He nods and I huff. "Didn't feel like saying anything?"
"Asked me not to," he says with a shrug. "So I didn't say anything. This is the kinda thing you usually wanna tell people yourself."" His mesmerising green eyes turn troubled slightly, and he frowns slightly. "Are you annoyed at me?" As better as it has got moments like this remind me he is still easily swayed in self confidence at times.
"Nah," I say, brushing his hair from his eyes. "I was just wondering. Time to get some sleep?" He nods and we quickly drop off.

Not for long though. When I wake up it's because an elbow connects with my side. It is still dark and the clock realise it is 4am. Early...One hour sleep. I glance at Kuro who is tossing and turning. His brows are screwed up and he is visibly trembling. I don't shake him awake because that can pretty dangerous with very vivid nightmares. Instead I gently stroke his hair which always seems to calm him when he starts having a bad dream.
"Hey, Kuro, it's okay," I say gently. "Whatever it is it isn't real..." He still is lost in whatever the dream is about. "Kuro..." His eyes fly open and he backs up so his back is pressed against the wall. "Kuro?" His arms are around his legs and is still trembling. "A really bad one?"
"Yeah," he confirms, trembles slowly subsiding. "I'm fine though."
"Mhm...course you are," I say. "Hug?" He nods and I wrap my arms around him. He rests his head on me, still quiet. "Wanna talk about it?"

"The usual. Just more vivid and intense," he says, quietly. I sigh.
"If everyone who did this to you wasn't dead I would so destroy them," I mutter. He looks up at me and I smile when I see the panicked look has pretty much gone. Although that is pretty sad that the reason it faded so fast was because he is used to it. Yeah...I really wish I could take them down but you (usually) can't fight dead people.