Chapter 29

(February 6 continued)
"Strategy meeting...?" Ana asks. "Akiara, what is this about exactly...?"

"Well, Yuuma may not realize his feelings for you if we sit back and do nothing. So we're having a meeting about how we can get him to notice you!!" I explain.

Ana facepalms. "I don't think you need to do that... We're just going to stay friends and that's it... I doubt doing something like this will change anything. And we shouldn't be trying to bother him."

"I know it's important for him to focus on the camp, but hasn't he done enough? It's all up to us criminals now! I bet we can stay out of trouble until the end of our sentences! I'm sure we can help Yuuma succeed and help him keep the camp! Trust us!!"

Ana looks wary. She glances around at each of us. Her gaze lingers on Hisashi. I almost ask if there's something wrong, but she starts talking.

"I want to trust you. If you all really care for Yuuma, I don't think you'll put him in jeopardy. So please don't let any of us down." She sighs. "If you really believe you can help me with Yuuma, then maybe we can give it a try... If nothing works out by the end of the day on Valentine's Day, please give up, alright?"

I quickly nod. "I promise!!"

She folds her arms and smiles. "So? What do you guys think I should do?"

I smile too. "Let's discuss some ideas!!"

"I think you should make an effort to touch him occasionally~" Hisashi says. "Like touching his arm as you're talking~ That'll show you're interested~"

"Make sure you make eye contact when talking to him." Gin adds.

"He may notice if you change up your hair!!" I say. "Especially if he notices, it'll be a good sign that he's interested in you!"

"The card for Valentine's Day will help because you're telling him your feelings, right?" Kentaro says.

"Y-You're good at baking a-and cooking, so make s-something special for him! M-Maybe include a heart in i-it!" Matsu adds.

"Or maybe if you share the same favorite animal, or something similar, get him a gift related to it." Nikushimi says, looking away.

Ana looks a bit lost for words. "Yeah, I guess that's all valid advice..."

"Take it one at a time!" I say. "There's a few days before Valentine's Day! And don't forget to work on your card!"

Ana nods. "Alright then... About changing my hairstyle, I only put it up in this bun so it's out of the way when I cook. It won't be very convenient to put it down."

"Then you could put it in a ponytail or a braid, right? You should have Tamiyo help you!"

"Hm... Right, Tamiyo is good at that kind of thing, isn't she?"

The next day, Ana asked if Tamiyo could style her hair before she made breakfast. Tamiyo agreed and when Ana came out to give us our breakfast, she wore a braid. Her pink hair is surprisingly long, but I guess that's how her bun always seems to turn out so big. The plates she's carrying wobble a little unlike the stillness she's usually able to maintain. She must be nervous. I watch Yuuma as she sets our plates down. His eyes are staring holes into her.

Ana tries to smile, showing more of her nervousness. I wonder if she's waiting to see if Yuuma will say anything or not. From the way he's staring at her, I bet he will. I give her a silent good luck as they both go into the kitchen to eat their breakfast. I wish I could hear what they talk about.

"Oh my, he's definitely staring at her~" Hisashi comments.

"Totally staring." Kentaro says. "He's not even subtle about it."