Chapter 27 (18+)

(January 6)
Yuuma figured we needed haircuts again. Tamiyo trimmed everyone's hair with ease. Lately, she doesn't seem as nervous around us. I wonder if it's because we have bonding activities with her every day. Whatever the reason, I'm glad she's feeling more comfortable.

(January 12)
This week, I have bonding activities with Yuuma. Since everything with Nikushimi has died down, and we've been able to hear each other's backstories, I wonder what Yuuma's full story is. How did he meet Ana and Tamiyo? He mentioned this camp was his dream, didn't he? What's the story behind that? I decided that I should try and ask about it today.

"Hey, how'd you meet Ana and Tamiyo?" I ask.

"Ana and I attended high school together. I only met Tamiyo when I became a police officer and worked in the same precinct as her." Yuuma answered.

"You and Ana met in high school, huh... I wonder what you looked like when you were younger. Were you always so tall?"

"Yes, I'm afraid I've always been this tall. I've always accidentally scared others. Ana didn't seem very afraid though and I'm grateful we became friends."

"You're not scary at all once we talk! But I admit I was afraid too when we first met..." I scratch my cheek, apologetic.

"I'm sorry. I'm glad you aren't afraid anymore though."

"So are your parents super tall too? Who do you take after the most?"

"Yes, both of my parents are fairly tall. I take after my dad more. Although, he always liked having longer hair, unlike me. That is until he decided to shave it off one day..."

"I see... I've wanted to ask, what's the full story behind starting this camp? How did it come to be?"

"That may be somewhat of a long story. I'll try to shorten it. I was actually inspired after my dad ended up in prison. After his sentence ended and he came home, he was different. He cut off all of his hair, the hair he grew out for my mom and didn't want to cut even after her passing, and had a colder demeanor. I researched the situation in prisons and realized how awful the institution was and how neglected the prisoners are. Even after my dad finished his sentence, he went back to handling illegal drugs.

"I thought to myself; if prisons are supposed to prevent you from wanting to commit another crime, since that is their purpose, why are the conditions so harsh? Why don't prisons properly take care of their prisoners and help them to make different choices? My dad didn't get anything from his experience. I doubt many others do either. So I wanted to become an officer and offer other criminals the help they need to truly change their ways. I worked hard and finally had the opportunity to open up this camp."

"Wow... I'm sorry about your dad... And that your mom has passed away... I think you took your dad's awful situation and turned it into a good thing though. I'd say being at this camp with everyone here, listening to your lessons, and being provided with the things we need to get by is a huge help. You've done a lot of good with this camp. I'm glad I could meet you and learn from you." I smile.

"Thank you, Akiara. The truth is, this camp is more like a test. If I don't succeed in helping each one of you, this camp will never continue. We had to add Nikushimi this year, but if the camp is ruled as a failure, we'll have to transfer him elsewhere, like to a prison. I believe every one of you can be better and not end up getting arrested again after this camp. But please prove it to me by getting to the end of your sentences without any problems. If I fail... like he expects me to... I won't be able to convince anyone that this is how prisons and other correctional facilities should be run."

I quickly nod. "I won't do anything to put the camp in jeopardy..."

I wonder if Nikushimi would even survive in a prison... He'd be eaten alive... And Yuuma is saying "he" like Tamiyo was. Just who is this man and why does he expect that Yuuma will fail...? I don't like him now. I want Yuuma to have this. I want this camp to succeed. If it can help others in the way that it's helped me, then I want nothing more than for this camp to be a success.