Chapter thirty eight~Owen

"Don't tell your mom I said this." My dad started saying, "But are you sure you want to do this, kiddo?"

This was the third loop around the church activity building that he had taken. 

The third loop.

"Yeah, I guess I do." 

He stopped the car and pulled the keys out of the ignition.

"That's a good thing though, right?" I said, questioning him and myself too.

"Yes, it's a good thing. I want you to do it for you, not because your mom and I want you to." He explained.

I nodded while looking out the window at the church building. Why they wanted to have alcoholic anonymous support meetings at a Catholic church was besides me.

"Want me to pick you up after?" He asked.

"Huh?" I asked.

I knew what he was saying but I was buying time to figure out what I wanted to respond with.

"Do you want me to pick you up after the group?" 

"Is this you saying you want me out of this car?" I asked.

He shrugged.

Yes.

Definitely, yes.

"No, it's fine. I can figure something out." I answered.

"Okay. Call me if you need anything." He said to me, trying to wrap up this conversation.

"Okay." 

"I mean it." He reassured.

"Okay." I repeated.

I stuffed my phone into my pocket and steppe out of the car. I gently shut the door and heard my dad speed off.

I walked into the church and the smell of dust, bleach and a variety of homemade food hit me. It wasn't the best mixture of smells, to say the least.

I saw a group of about fifteen people sitting in rows of chairs. There was a wide age range of people and many empty seats set up.

A man, probably in his late thirties was standing up at an old podium. It looked like one of those stands you'd see in your middle school music room.

I sat down in the back while I listened to him talk about upcoming events that I definitely wasn't going to be attending.

He looked up and examined the group of people in this church. His eyes stopped on me and he made a face as if he just remembered something he couldn't put his finger on before.

The speaker cleared his throat and gestured towards me, "Every one, this is Owen. He'll be joining us for the next few weeks"

A few people looked back at me, others didn't move whatsoever. The speaker just wore a big smile on his face when he announced me.

I just awkwardly waved.

Who would have thought that Owen, captain of the football team would be in an a.a meeting awkwardly waving at strangers.

He went back to talking about events  and I pretended to listen.

Halfway into his speech, I decided to text the group chat that Beck, Liam and I were in. I pulled out my phone and I asked them if they wanted to hang out at the beach later.

They both responded pretty quickly saying yes. At least I had something to look forward to during this whole thing.

"Do you even want to be here?" A girl that sat beside me questioned.