Prologue~Air Bending Master Fujimora

Taking a deep breath, Monk Noriyama hummed. He swept his hands across his torso in the usual fashion, going up and down like the wind. Ava and Kazuno followed his movements along with the rest of the class, though they were a little clumsier than monk Nori. Monk Nori completed the move, sending a simple air strike forward and cutting through the smoke.

The students finished, only three being able to produce the air jet. Ava jumped up, cheering with a happy giggle. Kazuno pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear as Takao tutted. Even though their air bending was basic at best, they were just a couple of thirteen-year-olds and as such, they weren't expected to be masters.

Takao ran forward, using his increased speed and air bending to hop up the monastery. He flipped over the rails as monk Nori sighed. "I suppose we're done with training. You may all leave. But make sure you practice for Saturday!"

Kazuno bowed to monk Nori as Ava laughed excitedly. "I want to try! I want to try!" She dashed forward, following Takao's movements to a 'T' landing beside Kazuno. "Ack! How did you beat me?!"

"I've done that before. I'll show you later." Kazuno walked past Ava who gaped. "Hey, Taki, you shouldn't run off like that." Kazuno flicked her hand, throwing the book Takao was holding out of his hands.

"And you shouldn't use your abilities to harm others." Takao twisted the wind around him, bringing his book back. He leaned back to shade himself under the tree as Kazuno sat in front of him.

Ava leaned past Kazuno's shoulder, an awing expression on her face. "Woah! How do you do air bending that easily?! You guys act like it’s supernatural!"

Kazuno and Takao shared a look of confusion. "It is natural."

"Air bending is the same as breathing," Kazuno stated as if it was obvious. "You don't think, you just do it."

Ava gaped, falling back to sit beside the others. She stared up at the sky, watching the clouds drift by. "I wish I found it that easy. It doesn't help that everyone seems to be watching me. It's like they expect me to be greater for some reason." Ava threw her arm over her eyes as Kazuno and Takao shared a shifty look. "What?"

"Nothing!"

Ava leaned up, looking between the two siblings. She looked like she wanted to say something but decided against it. "I just want to impress them at least once! They always look so disappointed."

Kazuno chuckled slightly. "We can help you. You can take centre stage on Saturday."

Ava's eyes sparkled. "Really?!" Takao nodded. "Yay! I'm going to show them all!" Ava jumped to her feet, cheering into the sky.

Takao groaned, hitting his head against the bark. "What did we agree to?"

~~~

The drums beat, a soft windpipe dancing across the wind. Airbenders from all across the world sat as they listened to monk Pekoyama's prayer. The chanting quietened down as she stood up. "We have gathered here today, to celebrate one of our most sacred days. Let this day symbolise peace, balance and harmony." Monk Pekoyama held out her arms as the crowds cheered. "I present to you, the air bending tutor monk Nori."

Monk Nori walked out with a calm smile. "Today we remember the meaning to be air benders. To be one with the air and everything around us. We are air benders, we are one with the world, one with nature and one with each other. I give to you, our latest generation of air benders." Monk Nori stepped aside as the air bender students systematically went through their routine. The air around them swirled, forming above them.

Slowly, a beautiful rose came to life. Ava smiled at Takao and Kazuno who broke away from the group. Monk Nori gasped as he watched the students leave. He wasn't sure what they were doing but he had a bad feeling about this. Takao and Kazuno hopped up the trees surrounding the place. Once on the top, they started pulling the wind. the swirling encased the rose, rising like a spiral as Ava used the air trail. She hovered in the air, laughing as Takao and Kazuno smirked. Ava summoned her own air bending, letting the ball of air rise.

All the air benders were in shock, they had never seen that move before. Monk Nori couldn't help but smile. The avatar might have promise after all.

Bang.

Ava didn't understand what happened. Her body in shock as she pressed against her chest. A large pole stuck through her lungs making it hard to breathe, tears dropped out the corners of her eyes as she looked around. Her body became limp as her life force was ripped away. Dashing forward, Takao caught Ava's body, placing her against the ground.

Monk Nori and monk Pekoyama rushed forward, horrified expressions on their faces. "Ava!"

Kazuno shook her head in denial, stumbling from where she stood. "No... It can't be..."

"Everybody get back! The fire nation is attacking!"

Kazuno screamed from the fire that soared through the sky. Monk Nori used his air bending to protect his students, brushing away the fire. "Get behind me! I won't let them hurt you."

The students ran but Kazuno was still in shock. She couldn't move.

"Kazuno!" Takao watched in horror as his sister was hit with a blast of fire. Her screams echoed through his ears, haunting his dreams. Monk Fujimoto couldn't believe this was happening! Why was the fire nation attacking?! "Kazuno!" He didn't have time to react as Takao rushed past him and to Kazuno's side. HIs eyes widened in horror as the fire nation climbed over the hill. Even in her crushing pain, Kazuno pushed herself up, shielding Takao with her body.

The world was burning around him. Screams echoed in his mind. When it was over, only he was left. He stumbled to his feet, looking at his sister and best friend. They were both dead. This was all wrong! He walked through the ashes, covering his mouth in pain.

"Takao..."

Spinning, Takao spotted the monk. He gasped, running to Takao's side and looking over him. "Monk Nori! Hey, hold on, I'll get help."

"Don't... It's too late. You were a really good student, Takao. Ava's dead... The avatar's dead." Takao's eyes widened. Ava was the avatar! "Takao, you need to survive. You need to find the avatar in their next life. You need to protect them and train them. This is the responsibility I leave to you as the last Avatar."

"But... wait! I'm not even a master!"

"We both know... you- Takao Fujimora- were always a master... "

"Nori...? Nori! No, no, no, no! Please! Don't die! Don't leave me alone!"