𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟮 || To Shout in a Library

Emery stopped dead.

"What?" she questioned, looking at him intently, her eyes focused solely on his.

"That's what it says," said Sirius promptly. "From your father."

Once more, Emery's thought she heard wrong. 

Out of the blue, a note turns up from her father. Then she gets a dream that he's dead. It was too far fetched and unbelievable.

"No," whispered Emery lowly. "No," she repeated, shaking her head. 

Her voice was shaky and unstable. 

"No. That- That's not true," she murmured. "It's not true."

Her eyes began to water. "No," she kept on repeating, over and over. "Not true."

Sirius stared at her as she muttered to herself. He noticed that she was on the verge of crying, and he desperately wished he hadn't intervened in her business.

He cleared his throat, getting Emery's attention. 

"Emery," he whispered. "I'm so sorry."

That was all it took for Emery to blow up.

"You foul git!" she shouted, "it's not funny, you know that?"

Sirius stood with his mouth open, words failing him. 

"I- I didn't.." 

She snatched the note off his fingers, and glared at him, hatred pulsing through her veins. "DON'T TALK TO ME!" she yelled, pulling her hair out of frustration.

She let out a sob as a tear trickled down her cheek and dropped to the floor with a splash.

"Look..." Sirius started.

"YOU HEAR ME?" she cried. "YOU CAN'T JUST PLAY A PRANK ON SOMEONE LIKE THAT!"

"Emery..."

"QUIET! I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!" she shrieked, her voice finally breaking with tears.

Then, ignoring the angry librarian and the other students, who sat there in shock, staring at them, Emery raged out of the library, storming all the way to her dormitory.

Behind her, Sirius was left standing in stupor, wondering exactly what he did wrong.

***

Emery was seen nowhere the rest of the day, and even throughout the evening.

Rumors had passed throughout the school of what happened in the library, each unlikelier than the next.

Some said Sirius played a prank on him, others said he asked her out. Some even said that he was using Emery to make another girl jealous.

None of them were correct, however.

Emery was curled up in the corner of her bed, and the hangings were down, obscuring her from the sight of all. She didn't make a single sound, a trait that was completely opposite to her normal state.

Nobody knew she was there, nobody heard her, nobody saw her. She sobbed silently, hugging her knees and staring into space.

Although she knew she was making a big deal out of what happened, she was still hurt from the fact that her father was gone.