𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟯 || To Apologize

Emery tossed and turned in her bed, sensations of uneasiness pulsing through her limbs. 

Guilt coursed through her, and her conscience bothered her endlessly. She longed to rip the feeling of regret away from her, and wanted no more than to apologize to Sirius for having yelled at him in front of so many people.

After all, he was just trying to help.

He didn't know her father was a sensitive topic.

Nobody knew.

She huffed, and threw off her duvet, then looked up at the canopy of the bed. She sighed loudly, then covered herself with the duvet once more.

Then she turned around and hugged Milo, her stuffed duck. (She'd had him since she was two.)

She petted Milo on the head, then turned around to face the other side. 

Still, she couldn't sleep. Again, she wrenched off the covers, then huffed. "Oof!"

She'd had enough.

Slowly, she crept out of bed and put on her bedroom slippers. Grabbing her wand (Alder wood and phoenix feather, 14¼ inches, bendy), she sneaked out of the dormitory.

The common room was deserted, much to her advantage, and she checked the corridors before she left Ravenclaw tower.

Then she tottered over to Gryffindor tower, wondering how the hell she was going to enter.

Emery, being the most determined person on the planet, was set soundly on apologizing, and she'd wait until she'd apologize to Sirius, even if it meant waiting the whole night.

She sat on the stone bench outside the Fat Lady's portrait, waiting for anyone to come by. As she waited, she stared at the sleeping Fat Lady.

Slowly, she too, was feeling sleepy, almost about to doze off.

Until she heard a noise.

She sat up straight, rubbing her eyes, and looked carefully to see what made the noise. The portrait hole had opened, and the Fat Lady was grumbling.

It was one of the seventh year Gryffindor prefects.

Emery hid behind a suit of armor before she was seen. Once the prefect had left, Emery quickly climbed through the portrait hole, right before it closed.

She had done it. She had managed to get into Gryffindor tower.

Now to find Sirius.

Finding Sirius proved to be the easy part. All Emery had to do was find the Gryffindor 6th Year dorms, which wasn't so complicated.

Emery located the door to the boys dormitories, then began climbing the circular staircase, carefully touching the wall to find her way in the dim light.

Unfortunately, she couldn't see so well, and bumped into someone.

She was about to topple backwards and fall, but the person caught her waist, and she hovered right above the ground.

Before she could let out a scream, or gasp of surprise, a cold hand covered her mouth. 

"Shhh," whispered a voice in her ear. "I've got you. Don't scream, alright?"

Emery relaxed. It was just Sirius. Lucky for her, she didn't need to look for him.

Emery let out a breath, and nodded. "Sirius?" she whispered.

He looked confused, and was about to open his mouth when Emery spoke. 

"It's me, Emery. You're probably confused why I'm here, but I need to talk to you."

He nodded, then took her hand and led her to the common room, right in front of the fireplace. He sat in a squashy armchair, and Emery sat opposite him.

Emery sighed, and looked at him as he waited for an explanation. 

"Ummm," she started. "I came here to apologize to you. I mean, it wasn't your fault, and I'm really sorry for yelling at you for no reason, and I hope you can forgive me. My dad is a touchy subject for me, and that's why I shouted. I hope you can understand that, and I am really sorry again," she said, all in one breath.

Sirius smiled, and leaned closer.

"I accept your apology," he said formally, his lips twitching to form a smile. Then he furrowed his brows. "Hang on... How did you get into the common room?"

Emery smiled her mischievous smile. "I sneaked in. I waited outside until a seventh year prefect passed by, and then I got in right before the portrait hole closed."

"Oh."

There was silence between them, but it was peaceful and comforting. The only sound heard was the crackling of the fire.

"So," Sirius began, "why did you come at this time?"

Emery scratched her hair. 

"Oh, well, erm, it's a silly reason," she began. "When Cecy told me what you told her, I felt really guilty, and I couldn't fall asleep until I apologized."

Sirius let out a soft laugh. "You couldn't sleep until you apologized, so you came immediately?"

She nodded.

"Wow." He sighed. "You have really good morality."

"Mama taught me," she said. 

She changed the subject, suddenly remembering a question, "anyway, what were you doing awake?"

He cocked his head. 

"Me? I couldn't sleep. I was hungry."

"Oh," said Emery, then looked down at her stomach. "I'm hungry too. I totally skipped over dinner."

"Yeah, I noticed," replied Sirius. 

Then his face lit up as he thought of something. "How about we go to the kitchens for a snack?"

Emery smiled roguishly. 

"Oh, yes," she said happily.

"Well what are we waiting for? Let's go," said Sirius, grabbing her hand and marching out of the common room.

And that was how the friendship of Sirius Black and Emery Fowl officially began.