𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟰 || To Make a Friend

It was a week before the Halloween Feast that Emery decided that she was ready to move on.

She was ready to erase her father's departure from her life, and would keep only the good memories.

One thing remained though.

The note.

Now that Emery knew what it meant, she had hope.

Hope that he was alive.

Now that she knew what it meant, it was time for her to figure out why he sent it, and from where he sent it.

If he was alive, why wasn't he coming home?

Was he in danger?

Or was he in hiding? If he was in hiding, then why?

These were questions that remained answerless to Emery, and she hoped she'd be able to figure them out. 

Now that she had reassurance of her father's wellbeing, she had improved greatly. Her step had a happy spring to it, and she had more of a reason to live. Although a part of her did not believe the note was from her father, it still gave her hope that perhaps not all was lost.

Thus, she came to the conclusion that if he did send the note, then there would definitely be a puzzle behind it, that was for sure.

And so, the search began, with Emery scanning the note for clues each free second she got.

But the results remained the same. She was no closer to finding a clue today than she was yesterday.

Until she thought harder.

All of a sudden, as Emery was doing her History of Magic essay, she jumped up from her chair as she thought of an idea.

Hopefully she wasn't mistaken.

If the note was sent by her father, then so was the hat. If the hat was sent by her father, then she was almost one hundred percent sure that there was some sort of hint or indication in the hat somewhere. 

She just had to look harder.

And so, it was then that Emery kept her hat even closer to her than normal. She had gotten attached to it, and would even sleep with it by her side.

She didn't want to lose it again.

It was her only connection she had with her father, and just possibly the ticket to their reunion. Her father had sent it as a last hope, a final indication that he was safe. If Emery lost the hat, she would lose her father. 

Forever. 

The search for the clue began. But every time she tried to look for any sort of sign on the hat, she was interrupted. She became busier as exams were approaching, and the teachers kept on piling more and more work upon her head. 

It was as if even time was against her.

Amidst all the drama, Emery spent quite a bit of her time with Sirius. The two regularly met up in the Astronomy tower or the owlery, and would exchange a few words with each other before parting. 

They nodded to each other in the corridors, and smiled whenever their paths crossed. In short, their friendship became stronger. 

Emery learnt quite a bit about Sirius' home life, which was not very comfortable. She found out how his parents were pureblood stereotypes, and how they served the Dark Lord. Truth be told, she found it all very uncomfortable.

In exchange, Emery told him all about her home life, and how she lived before with her dad in Fowl Manor. She talked about how she then moved to Wood Manor, and lived with Cecy. 

Emery found out that she liked talking with Sirius. He was an interesting person to talk to, and always had the craziest of ideas and jokes. He listened intently at all the stories she told, not once making fun of her but laughing at her jokes and pranks she played. His eyes sparkled when she spoke, and he observed her expressions and emotions each time she spoke to him.

If they weren't speaking, they would just sit in each other's presence, enjoying the silence that passed between them. Then, either Sirius would remember something and speak, or Emery would come up with a crazy conspiracy theory or joke and then they would laugh and argue about it for hours.

Sometimes, she'd help him in charms, the subject she excelled at most, and he'd help her in Defence Against the Dark Arts, which he was brilliant at.

For Sirius, this situation was not at all pleasurable. For one, he constantly had to deal with the glares of other girl who stared at Emery enviously, even though there was nothing romantic going on between the two. Another reason was the rest of the Marauders, who teased Sirius, saying that he'd 'gone soft' and that he had left them for Emery. 

They all knew it was a joke though.

For Emery, she learnt that one of the greatest gifts in life was friendship. With Sirius' help, she improved in Defence Against the Dark Arts, and stopped relying on Cecilia for everything.

She made friends with the Marauders, who would still not stop asking her about her pranks, to which she never gave them an answer.

Instead, she agreed to help them with one of their pranks, provided she'd get the credit for it.

And so they agreed.

On the day of the Halloween feast, Emery, along with the Marauders, joined forces and played a prank together.

It was the greatest prank Hogwarts had ever seen.

a/n: hope you enjoyed that. just a filler chapter. my writings become worse.. i just found out that my grandparents have got COVID. please, please pray for them, as my grand dad is really sick, and i don't wanna lose any of my grandparents. 

also, thank you so, so much for 700 views and 100+ votes. this story is only 2 months old...

love, elsie.

🖤