𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟲 || To Protect

Emery gasped inwardly, her heartbeat increasing erratically. 

Sirius automatically moved closer to her, placing an arm around her shoulders.

"Stay calm," he whispered.

Emery stood frozen, not registering the fact that Sirius was speaking.

Sirius stepped forward, shielding Emery from the Death Eaters. 

"What do you want?" Sirius spat, looking at the pair of cloaked figures in front of him. "The girl, dear cousin," said the woman, "The girl."

"You'll have to get through me first," he growled, lunging forward, his fists clenched. Emery placed a hand on his bicep. 

"Calm down," she whispered. "You don't even have your wand with you. Don't do anything stupid."

Sirius tensed, then relaxed as he took another step back. 

Emery leaned closer to the surface of the ice, checking if it was hard enough. Once she was satisfied it could handle her weight, she did a series of taps on the ice with her fingers, carefully, so as not to be seen.

Then she waited.

Sirius was meanwhile in an argument with his cousin, venomous words exchanging between the two. When Bellatrix reached forward to grab Emery, Sirius lunged for the other Death Eater, knocking him to the ground.

Before Sirius could hit Bellatrix, she grabbed Emery, placing a wand to her neck. Sirius stopped moving, fear etched in his eyes as he snatched off the knocked out Death Eater's wand, pointing it at Bellatrix.

Three figures in cloaks stepped into the moonlight.

Severus Snape, Evan Rosier and Lucius Malfoy emerged from the shadows. 

"Well, lookie here," sneered Evan Rosier. "Black. All alone. Defenseless."

Sirius glared at Bellatrix, ignoring the other three.

"Let her go," he growled. 

Bellatrix cackled as she dug the wand further into Emery's neck, who closed her eyes and gulped. 

Emery was calm, knowing that she was safe. She only worried for Sirius.

A gurgling noise was heard through the lake, and Emery counted mentally in her head.

Three, Two, One...

The lake cracked from the middle, the sound ringing like a pistol shot.

The Death Eater snapped to the side, pointing their wands at the lake.

"What's that?" asked Evan Rosier.

Sirius took the chance to stun him. 

"STUPEFY!" he yelled, causing Evan Rosier to fall to the ground.

Bellatrix looked at him, about to curse, when the lake suddenly burst, huge tentacles writhed out of the surface, ice cold water splashing everywhere.

The Giant Squid had arrived at Emery's call.

"SIRIUS!" yelled Emery. "RUN!" She wriggled out of Bellatrix's grasp, soaking wet with ice water.

The Giant Squid splashed a few more times, wetting the Death Eaters as Emery and Sirius ran into the castle. Then, it collected its tentacles and disappeared under the lake once more.

Emery and Sirius were being chased by Snape, Bellatrix following them closely from behind. They ran through the corridors, knocking down suits of armor and statues on the way.

"EMERY!" Sirius shouted. "GIVE ME YOUR HAND!"

Emery reached forward, but her hand slipped and missed Sirius' as she fell to the ground, her ankle twisting. 

"Ow," she groaned. "Go ahead," she motioned. "I'll be fine."

Sirius shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere without you," he muttered, lifting her up and letting her lean on him.

They reached the end of the corridor, nowhere left to turn.

A dead end.

Snape and Bellatrix caught up to them.

"Expulso," Sirius cast, pointing at the statue behind Bellatrix. It exploded, covering Bellatrix under a small hill of rubble.

"SNAPE!" she shouted. "DO IT!" she urged. "GET SIRIUS OUT OF THE WAY!"

Snape nodded hesitantly, and pointed his wand at Sirius. He closed his eyes.

"Sectumsempra," he muttered. 

Emery jumped in front of Sirius as a flash of red headed his way. 

"SIRIUS!" she screamed, taking the full blow. 

Blood spurted out of Emery's stomach, cuts appearing on her snow white dress. 

"AARGH!" Sirius yelled in frustration. "YOU BASTARD!" he hollered, running after Snape, who ran away, fear etched upon his face.

Sirius went back to Emery who was lying on the floor, bleeding. Her eyes were closed, her white dress stained with horror.

"Emery," gasped Sirius. "Open your eyes," he demanded. 

"Emery, please," he begged. "Open your eyes."

"HELP ME!" he roared. "SOMEBODY!"

"EMERY! WAKE UP!" he shook her. "NO! OPEN YOUR EYES!" he pleaded.

A tear fell from his face.

A patter of footsteps sounded behind him, indicating that someone had come.

Sirius looked up. It was a Hufflepuff prefect. 

"She's hurt," he rambled tensely to the prefect. "Go get help."

The prefect paled at the sight of blood, then nodded and ran away.

Sirius looked at Emery one more time. 

"Emery, please," he pleaded in a small voice. "Just open your eyes."

And Emery's eyes inched open, just a tiny bit. 

"Sirius," she whispered, her lips moving into a smile, as a lone tear descended down her face.

"Emery," murmured Sirius. "Don't go. Stay awake," he rasped. "Hold on."

Emery let out a chuckle, but coughed up as blood dribbled down her lips. 

"Why?" asked Sirius. "You risked your life to save mine," he choked. "Why?"

Emery smiled, looking into his beautiful silver eyes.

"Anything for a friend," she whispered, and her eyes closed once more.