𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟯 || To Meet the Truth

a/n: BRACE YOURSELVES. This chapter may have to be read several times before it is understood. 

Emery searched every nook and cranny for Cecilia, mentally preparing herself for a conversation she knew she'd never be ready for. 

How was she going to tell Cecilia that her mother had died?

Why was she given the responsibility?

Emery had no answer to these questions. It seemed as if fate had thrown her into a pit and laughed at her face.

While she was searching the library, she saw a familiar figure, noting it to be Rabastan Lestrange.

Emery walked up to him, and tapped him on his shoulder.

His featured molded into those of concern. 

"Fowl?" he said in his metallic, smooth voice. "How may I help you?"

"Umm," she began, her voice shaky and soft, "I wanted to ask if you'd seen Cecy."

"Oh," said Rabastan. "She went to the Ravenclaw common room," he said, clearing his throat.

"Oh, okay, thanks," she said, then bounded off to the Ravenclaw tower.

On reaching, she saw Cecilia sprawled on her bed, reading a thick book, a quill and parchment beside her.

"Cecy," Emery started, not raising her voice. This was the moment she dreaded. Her voice was shaky, her eyes red. "Cecy, I need to talk to you."

Cecilia turned to face Emery, alarmed by the state of her. Her eyes were all red, her cheeks pale.

"Em?" questioned Cecilia, her head turning up from her book. "Em, what's wrong?"

Emery burst out into tears. "Cecy, please forgive me. I'm really sorry," Emery sobbed.

"Em? Please, tell me what you're talking about," said Cecilia, getting up from the bed. 

Emery handed her the letter and brought Cecilia into a hug. "M-mama w-wrote to m-me," she cried. "She- She said... She said that- Aunt Del, oh, Cecy," she broke out, tears pouring down her cheeks.

"Aunt Del what?" said Cecy sharply. "Emery?"

Emery shook her head, wailing. 

Cecilia uncrumpled the letter and read it, her features molding into shock and disbelief.

"No, no, no, no," she said repeatedly. "It's too early" she said, pacing across the dormitory. "IT'S TOO SOON!" she shouted at Emery.

"HOW DARE YOU SHOW ME THIS?" she yelled at Emery. "HOW DARE YOU?" she screamed, raging, throwing things across the room.

Emery broke into uncontrollable howling. 

"Cecy," she said in a small voice. "Cecy, what are you saying? What happened to you?"

"SHUT UP!" Cecilia growled, walking forwards to Emery. 

"Cecy," Emery persisted, touching the shoulder of her cousin, whom she considered a sister. "Cecy, please," she begged, her voice lowered to a whisper.

Cecilia's eyes flashed, looking at Emery.

"You have absolutely no clue, don't you?" she spat at Emery, her featured carving into a sort of twisted smirk.