𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰𝟭 || To Avoid

a/n: dedicated to -DamienAbigor- for being my newest friend. ily

Over the following days, Emery tried to manage on her own without Sirius, not inviting him over at all.

Sirius, who was spending time with Remus and Peter at the Potter's place, didn't find anything strange about Emery, until James invited her over.

For one, she wasn't looking at him directly.

It pained Sirius to know that she was talking to him, but not looking at him.

James, on the other hand, found it extremely funny.

Especially when she gave random excuses that didn't even make sense half the time.

His plan was to make Sirius realize his feelings for the blonde, in order for him to win the bet against Remus.

If he managed to do that before New Year's, then Remus would win. But if he got the confession out of Sirius after New Years, he'd win. From what he knew, Sirius was extremely stubborn, so he needed a lot of time to admit his feelings.

Sirius and James were practicing Quidditch in the backyard, despite the snowy weather. Sirius was practicing his beater skills, which were, in Emery's opinion, quite good.

Emery didn't tell him that.

She was hiding behind a tree, watching Sirius hit the bludger away. Suddenly she sneezed. Sirius' gaze snapped her way, and on seeing her shirt peeking from behind the tree smiled to himself.

Sirius cleared his throat. "I know you're there, Emery," he sang. 

Emery huffed and came out of her hiding place.

James snorted.

Emery looked at the floor.

Sirius cocked his head. "Aren't you going to ask me if you can try?" he asked. "You always ask whenever you see something," he added.

Emery shook her head rapidly. "No, I don't think I can do this."

Sirius choked. "So you admit that females can't be beaters?"

Emery huffed loudly and glared ad him. "They can be beaters," she snarled. 

I just don't want to try because I had a weird dream about you and I don't want to come so close to you, she thought.

She snatched the bat from him, aiming for  the bludger. Before James could release it, Sirius burst out laughing.

"Love, you don't hold the bat that way," he chuckled, pulling Emery closer by the arm.

Emery glared at him.

Sirius took her hand and rubbed it between his palms. Then, giving her the bat, he adjusted her fingers around it.

"Make sure your fingers aren't above this line," he murmured, putting an arm around her waist. "Put your arm like this," he motioned from behind her, arranging her arm in a specific position. Emery felt her heartbeat increase.

What was he doing?

Sirius' chest was pressed against Emery's back, and her arms were held up by his.

"On the count of three, James will release the bludger," he murmured in her ear. "Alright?"

She made the mistake of looking at him.

Their noses were almost touching, Sirius' lips slightly parted. Emery could feel his warm breath on her face, and could almost hear his slow breathing.

All at once, she dodged his arms, wriggling out of his grasp, the bat falling to the floor.

"I can't do this," she muttered. "I have a headache," she lied, then went indoors.

Sirius just stood there, wondering what the hell just happened.

When James and Sirius came into the house half an hour later, they were freezing. Mrs. Potter made hot chocolate for the three of them, and instructed Emery to take it to them, where they sat by the fireplace.

Emery sat near James, keeping a bit of space in between Sirius and herself.

"So," piped James. "How are you feeling?"

Emery cocked her head. "What?"

James chuckled. "You said you had a headache."

Emery mentally groaned. "Oh, erm," she stuttered. "Much better now," she lied.

"That's good to hear," said James.

Sirius sighed out loud, causing the attention to suddenly shift towards him.

"I can't believe we've got only three more days before school," he groaned.

Emery agreed silently, looking at window on the opposite side of Sirius as she spoke. "I had a lot of fun this Christmas," she said softly.

"Oh, how's Marco?" asked Sirius suddenly.

"Hmm?" Emery hummed, still looking at the window.

"Marco, the duckling," Sirius added. "How is he doing?"

Emery smiled at the mention of Marco. "He's doing well," she chirped, "he sleeps near me every night. And he's so cute, and fluffy and so well behaved."

"Emery?" questioned Sirius. "Are you listening to me?"

She nodded, still staring at the opposite side, unable to see his expressions. "I'm listening."

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "Why aren't you looking at me when you speak?" he asked. 

Emery's heartbeat increased.

Because every time I look at you I think of kissing you.

She slowly turned to face him, closing her eyes.

"Well, you see," she began. "You're sitting right near the fire, and the fire's too bright," she voiced. "My eyes are hurting."

James snorted, and tried to mask it with a cough.

Sirius facepalmed. "For God's sake woman," he groaned. "Everyday it's a new story."

He moved switching places, sitting on the opposite side.

"Now look at me," Sirius said. "I'm not sitting near the fire.

Emery looked the opposite direction, James suddenly exploded with unmanly giggles. 

"Now what?" Sirius interjected. "Why aren't you looking at me?"

Emery groaned internally again. 

"Because the window's behind you," she stuttered. "It's too bright."

"But you were looking at the window all this time," he said dejectedly.

Emery suddenly stood up, avoiding his question. "I just remembered, I have to feed Marco," she said.

Truth be told, she wanted to get away.

Taking a bit of Floo Powder, Emery yelled, "Fowl Manor," into the flames, and was whisked away to her home.

Behind her, James suddenly burst out laughing, and Sirius had a grumpy expression. 

"I swear she'll kill me one of these days," he grumbled.

a/n: hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, istg, idk how i even manage to publish this. it's crap, cheesy, and utterly cliché.

love, 
cakeslayer.
🔪🎂