𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟱𝟯 || To Tell a Lie

They froze, not being able to believe how unlucky they were.

Slowly they turned around, only to come face to face with a grim-looking Professor McGonagall.

And boy, was she mad.

"Well, you see, Professor," Emery began. 

"Erm," Sirius stuttered, his confidence gone. 

"That's enough," she said, in a low, yet dangerous voice. "Follow me."

She turned around, her green robed willowing around her ankles. Sirius and Emery looked at each other, then slowly began to imitate her footsteps.

On reaching her office, she sat on her desk, and ordered the two to take the two seats opposite her.

Sirius and Emery glanced at each other once more, then sat opposite Professor McGonagall. 

She folded her arms.

"Why were you both out of bed?" she asked. Then, not waiting for an answer, she continued speaking. "I know you both have separate common rooms, but you are not allowed to break the rules and be out of your dorms after curfew. Finish all your activities before then," she said, eyeing them and lecturing them.

"Professor," began Emery. "We weren't erm.."

"We were together," he interjected. "I erm," he continued. "I asked Emery to meet me at night to erm," he said awkwardly.

Emery realized that the Professor had misunderstood. 

"Mr. Black," Professor McGonagall said. "Whatever the case, you should not be out after curfew."

She turned to Emery. "And you, Miss Fowl. If you wanted to meet Mr. Black, there is plenty of time during the day to spend your time together. Finish your business there."

Emery coughed awkwardly.

"You see, Professor, it's not like that, I was..."

"She was with me," interrupted Sirius.

"No!" Emery blurted, her face heating up.

Why was Sirius suggesting that they were together? It made it seem as if they were doing inappropriate things.

Professor McGonagall looked at her sharply. "I mean, yes we were together, but we were.."

"Doing... stuff," Sirius added. "We didn't get a chance to be alone today, so I told her to meet me after curfew."

Emery looked horrified. She glared at Sirius, her neck snapping as her head turned to look at him. 

Sirius didn't meet her eyes.

Professor McGonagall slowly eyed the two. "Well, whatever you two were doing is not my business, but you should be more responsible than to let yourselves be caught. You will serve detention with me tomorrow," she said monotonously. "Now, off to bed, both of you. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Professor," Emery muttered. 

Once they were out of the office, Emery turned to Sirius fiercely, her eyes raging with anger.

"Why did you tell Professor McGonagall that?" she demanded. 

She felt angry and hurt that he didn't consider how she would feel. She wasn't the type to tell a lie, especially to get out of trouble, and this type of lie was one she disliked. Besides, if news got out, then rumors about her and Sirius would start, and then her and Marlene's friendship would be at a risk.

Sirius sighed. "I told her because it was the simplest explanation, alright?" he argued.

Emery shook her head. "No," she said firmly. "You know I don't like lies, why make up such a ridiculous lie?" she asked, throwing her hands up.

"I told you, it was the simplest explanation that came to mind."

She refused that answer. "Definitely not," she said. "The simplest explanation would be the truth," she raged. "The truth."

"Students are not supposed to know where the kitchens are, Emery. If she found out that we visited the kitchens then they'd change the entrance, and we wouldn't be able to get in again," he defended. 

She nodded to herself, out of anger, mostly. "Whatever," she sighed. "I'm going to bed."

She turned towards another abandoned corridor. 

"Goodnight," she said simply, leaving him to his own thoughts and devices.