Chapter 54

-one week later-

Ella May Fankhauser, one week old, one pound, and one ounce.

"C'mon you got this!" Ben said as I tried getting my hand straight. It was hard. "Yay fingers!" I whispered as I got my hand fully straight. "Hey, it's okay. You're retraining your brain. Getting your fingers straight was the goal for today." Ben said as he walked over to me. Dr. Bailey walked over to me, "Little goals, remember? Okay now let me get in there I need to check her incision." she said. Ben kissed my temple. Kara walked in, "Good morning! Baby report." she said, walking over to me. "I'm going to go see her." Ben said. "Hey, you're awsome." he added before leaving.

Kara pulled out her phone. "Oh, gimme, gimme, gimme." I said, eager to see my little girl. She showed me a video of Ella. "Look she's moving her arm like she's waving. She still can't open her eyes though." Kara said. Ellas doctor walked in next, "She okay?" I asked. "She's great! She only stopped breathing once last night and get this, her brain bleed is still grade one!" Doctor Cirruzzo said. "Oh! Good girl." I said, still loking at the video and pictures Kara took. "She looks bigger. Is she bigger?" I said. Dr. Bailey smiled and said, "Alright some of us are still working so move it." to Dr. Cirruzzo. "She doesn't like me." he said. I laughed, "I can tell." I said.

"I'll come back with more updates later." he said before walking away. Jeremy walked in, "How are you?" He asked. "Um, I got my hand straight." I said. "That's great!" he said. "Yeah." I mumbled. "So today? Can I see her today?" I asked Dr. B. She was still looking at my incisions. "I'm sorry-" "No!" I whined. "I'm sorry but until your incisions are fully healed and you can be mobalized you cannot see her and she cannot leave the NICU." she said.

"You know I would if I could." she added. "mm-hmm." I said. Some people may call me dramatic but she's my baby and I haven't seen her yet. Like at all, only through videos. "Gonzalez, tell her I would." Dr. Bailey said before leaving.

Dr. Gonzalez was the resident on my case. She and I had gotten pretty close over the week. "She would if she could." she said. I raised my hand up to her. She scoffed, "Are you giving me the finger?" she asked. I nodded and said "Mm-hmm." She smiled, "Good job." I laughed.

Kara and Jeremy left a little while later to go get the kids from Scott and Andrews apartment. Carolynn, Danny, Emerson, and Clara were all at Scott and Andrews place. Oh, I haven't seen Carolynn or Danny in 9 days either and I missed them so unbelievably much.

---------
"Your incision looks good! Maybe in a couple of days you can try sitting up." Dr. Gonzalez said. "Let's try now." I said. She rolled her eyes, "You can't rush it." she said. Ben is at the house with Carolynn and Danny so they could spend some time with him. "Why'd I get you as my doctor? Shouldn't you be looking for some cool surgeries to scrub in on?" I said. "I got kicked off of all the cardio cases so basically I'm stuck here until you get discharged." she said.

I laughed, "Makes sense, you're kind of a bitch." I said, making us both laugh. Kara ran in, "She opened her eyes! Ella! She opened her eyes! She looked right at me. I saw her sweet little eyes- they- they're beautiful. They look just like your eyes! Oh, god! I should have taken pictures! Why didn't I do that?!" I started crying. "Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, god! I'm so sorry!" Kara said. "Go, go, go, get the pictures!" Dr. Gonzalez said. Kara ran out of the room and headed to the NICU.

"Ally, Ally." I tried getting up. "No! Don't Ally." she said. "I'm missing her!" I said, crying. "I know. I know honey." "I could miss her whole life! She could die and I'll never get to see her!" I sobbed. "I know, I know. Easy, easy. Just relax." she said, calming me down.

10:53 PM

"Wake up!" I heard Meredith say. (Dr. Gonzalez btw) "What are you guys doing?"I whispered as three residents walked in the room. Visiting hours were over so Ben, Jeremy, Ashley, and Kara were gone. "Shhh!" they said. "Geez." I said. "Just stay still and relax." some other doctor I didn't recognize said."Okay?" I said. They started unplugging the machines, "Let us do everything. Can you do that?" Meredith said. "Um, yeah." I said. They started wheeling my gurney out of the room.