Chapter 53: Part Two

-the next day-

Bens Pov (still)

I spent the night at the hospital with Ally. She hasn't woken up yet and nothings changed since I last heard from the doctors. I stepped out of the room to call Kara and ask if she could pick up Carolynn and Danny from her parents house since she already knew where it was. While I was on the phone a neuro doctor stepped in the room to check on Ally.

"She could have permanent neurological damage. She may not come back. Even if they get her body back, her brain may not come back." he said to me yesterday after everyone else left.

Allys Pov (but not really)

"I know it hurts, but we're going to lower your sedation and check on your neuro function. Don't fight the intubation. This won't take too long. Can you follow me with your eyes, okay?" a doctor said. "What about your fingers? Can you move your fingers?" another doctor said.

Bens Pov

"It's too soon to tell anything." the doctor said to me. "She didn't respond?" I asked. "She opened her eyes, um, look it's just too soon to to tell." he said. "Did she follow commands? Anything else?" I asked. "No, nothing else." the other doctor said softly. They both left the room, leaving me alone with Ally. Kara took the kids to the house and stayed there with Emerson and Kevin.

Corey and Meg were with their little boy at their house along with Clara. Jeremy and Ashley were in the cafeteria getting coffee. I sat down in the chair next to Allys hospital bed. Her hand was warm as I held it in mine, "Can you just- Can you live... for me? Please... live for me and the kids. Please..." I said, holding back tears.

Kara

Kara
| Has anything changed?

Ben
| No, nothings changed. But she's still stable. So's the baby.
| She got a neuro check this morning. She didn't respond.

Kara
| Oh.
| Carolynn's asking about Ally and I'm not sure what to say.

Ben
| Just tell her that she won't be able to see her for a while. Tell her we went to get an ultrasound.

Kara
| Okay.
| Update me if anything changes.

Ben
| I will.

Allys moniter started beeping faster and faster. Three doctors rushed in the room. "Her pressures bottoming out and her stomach is as tight as a drum." the fetal surgeon said. "Flash pulmonary edema. Her lungs are full of fluid." a resident said. "Abdominal compartment syndrome. She's bleeding out. Alert an O.R that we're on our way down!" the fetal surgeon said.

"W- What happened?" I asked. "We're going to take her into the operating room. We'll update you as soon as we can!" Dr. DeLuca said. (not me putting in doctors from my other books) I waited in the waiting room again. A truck stopped out of freaking no where. If that didn't happen we wouldn't be here. We'd be at home with the kids trying to think of names for this baby. Was there anything I could've done to stop or prevent this? I kept thinking to myself.

Kara

Ben
| Her pressure bottomed out. They rushed her into surgery.

Kara
| Is she okay?

Ben
| I'm not sure. I haven't gotten any udates yet.

I paced around the waiting room. Ashley and Jeremy weren't back yet. I tried thinking about other things besides what was happening to Ally, but I just can't. So many bad things have happened to us, but so many other good things have happened too. Like Carolynn and Danny. We do everything for them. They're the best things that have ever happened to us. Ally is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't know what I'd do without her. I don't ever want to know what I'd do without her.

"Hey! Where's Ally?" Ashley asked. "She awake yet?" Jeremy asked. I shook my head, "They rushed her into surgery again. Her pressure bottomed out again. I haven't gotten any updates yet." I said. "Oh." Jeremy said. "She'll be okay. She has to be okay." Ashley said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I hope so." I whispered.

The doctors came back a couple minutes later. They weren't gone for that long. I got up from my seat. "We did a percutaneous repair because of the heparin. There was a lot of bleeding, and the baby had decels. We ended up having to deliver the baby. She didn't have a heartbeat and she wasn't breathing at first. So we ventilated. That didn't end up working so we intubated and started compressions. We got a heartbeat. She's one pound and one ounce. You've got a very strong little girl. She's in the NICU right now if you want to see her. They're both fine for now. We don't know how long it will take for Ally to wake up but the chances are very high that she will be okay." he said.

The doctor lead me down to the NICU to see my little girl. A couple minutes later I went back up to Allys room.

"She's really small. But she's strong. She's one pound and one ounce of.. strong. Fighting against all of the um... complications. She's got beautiful brown hair, Ally, beautiful hair. She looks like you. Um, she can't open her eyes yet, but I can tell she's looking for you, okay? She's asking for you Ally." I said, holding Allys hand.

"h- Hey." I heard Ally say. I looked up. "Oh- oh my gosh. Ally?" I said. She squeezed my hand. I called some of her doctors in.

SHE'S FINE