Acceptance Letters and Ice Cream

Declan sat by the living room window. JJ walked up kissing the top of his head saying "You staring at the mailbox will not have your letter get here any faster."

Declan nodded absentmindedly and JJ said "Hey! It's a beautiful day why don't you and Grace go get ice cream?"

Declan nodded, smiling before standing up going to find his little sister. Emily walked up beside her wife saying "Wow, letting him take Grace for a ride."

"I trust him. He's a good driver."

"Mmmm," Emily said skeptically

JJ rolled her eyes at her wife.

Declan strapped Grace into his back seat and the two quickly got on the road jamming out loudly to Frozen. Declan parked the car outside the ice cream shop both getting a scoop of mint and a scoop of chocolate. They sat on the bench just outside the shop happily eating. Declan looked over laughing at Grace who had managed to get it on her forehead. He took a napkin helping clean her up. Grace looked up at him saying "Declan?"

"Yes, spider monkey."

"Can we still do this when you go to college?"

Declan looked down at her saying confidently "Absolutely! Who else am I going to belt Elsa with?"

"No one."

"That's right!"

When the two returned to the house both had happy smiles. They entered the living room and JJ and Emily were both engrossed in separate books. Emily said casually "I think something came in the mail for you."

Declan rushed to the kitchen searching through the stack finding a large packet from Harvard University. Declan's dream school for pre-med. Declan ripped open the package turning around seeing JJ and Emily eagerly waiting. "I got in!"

JJ squealed "You got in!" Putting her hands over her mouth smiling with tears. Emily smiled proudly. Declan went to Emily first holding tight onto her. He looked at her tears in his eyes "I would have never gotten this far if you hadn't saved me. Thank you!" He pulled back looking at them both "I wouldn't have done it without both of you. I- wow."

JJ laughed at how taken aback he was. The two women went in hugging him tightly. So proud of their son.