Snap and Repair

Tension had been building between JJ and Reid since Emily's return. It pained Emily to see her wife in pain. He was her best friend. He was often at their house. He and JJ would cook together and play games and overall have a good time together. Often leaving Emily in tears from laughing so hard at the two. He could be seen more at the Jareau-Prentiss household since Grace's arrival. Spencer was Grace's best friend. He would read her stories. But what made the couple smile the most was when he would stay just so the couple could take a nap. They would slowly walk down the steps just to hear Reid talk to Grace. Emily was an only child and so he quickly became a little brother to her. He would talk to Grace about any and everything. Since Emily returned Reid had not stepped foot in their home. A presence the couple was quickly missing. JJ invited him to brunch over the weekend but he never replied.

The couple pulled into Quantico and were walking down the hall when Emily leaned into her saying "So you finished the course?"

"Mm-hm. And completed my case rotation."

Emily said teasingly "I'm a little disappointed you didn't tell me but I will let it slide because Hotch says he's never seen a rookie profiler analyze and write up cases as well as you."

"- He said that?" JJ asked with a smile

"Yeah. Well, after all the cases you've presented over the years, - I'm not surprised." She leaned over kissing her cheek.

"- Hmm," JJ said with a smirk. Just as they were about to turn they saw Spencer walk out of the elevator trying to snake pass them

"Hey, where have you been? I wanted to do brunch this weekend." JJ exclaimed

"I had to deal with some stuff with my mom. Have you seen Garcia?"

JJ slowly stopped walking, looking at him baffled "Uh, she's with Rossi."

She came to a complete stop saying "He hates me."

"Mm, he was just busy baby. Let it go."

They were on the plane and Hotch was delegating a task requesting that JJ and Reid go to the abduction sites. JJ looked at him giving him a soft smile but he refused to look at her. When they stepped off the plane Emily gave JJ a quick kiss as JJ and Reid went to the SUVs. They have been kissing each other bye every time they were separated. Never out in public for others to see but they were more aware now than ever that nothing is promised, not even the next five minutes.

When JJ and Reid arrived the two stepped out and walked down the street looking around at everything.

Reid said, "So, Beth got off the bus here and headed northwest toward class."

"It's amazing no one witnessed her abduction," JJ said truthfully

"Emily was buried six feet under and wound up in Paris, so I guess anything is possible, right?" he said quickly

"So that is what this is about." She said truthfully

"You know, maybe our Unsubs a little bit like Bundy and he feigned an injury in order to get her to help him," Reid said ignoring her

"Spence, if you want to talk about..."

"Maybe he tried another tactic. and was like, Wow, you're really pretty. You should be a model. I can take your photo. "

"I'll take that as a no."

"Either one would disarm her," Spencer said dryly

"Charm's quite the killer." She said truthfully

So are tears." Reid said snarkily

Whatever his ruse was, the UnSub most likely used it to get her into his vehicle."

"Well, if Abby was last seen at a bus stop a few miles away, then he definitely has a means of transportation."

When they returned to the station JJ cornered Reid in an empty conference room

"Spence, look, we've got to talk about this. What do you mean, talk about it?"

"I get it, okay? You're disappointed with the way we handled Emily."

"Well, I have a lot going on, all right?"

"You know what I think it is?"

"What?" He asked annoyed

"You're mad that Hotch and I controlled our micro expressions at the hospital, and you weren't able to detect our deception."

"You think this is about my profiling skills?" He asked in disbelief "Jennifer, listen, the only reason you were able to manage my perceptions is because I trusted you. I came to your house for ten weeks in a row crying over losing a friend, and not once did you have the decency to tell me the truth."

"I couldn't," she said strongly

"You couldn't, or you wouldn't?" He challenged

"No, I couldn't. She is my wife! I had to keep her safe. I had to keep her safe to keep Grace safe."

"What if I started taking Dilaudid again, would you have let me?" He asked angrily

You didn't." She said softly and slowly

"I thought about it."

"Spence... I'm sorry." She said softly

"It's too late, all right?" he said rather loudly walking out

"Reid?" Emily said sternly looking at her wife who had tears in her eyes.

Emily followed him. "Reid. Reid!"

Reid turned around saying to her "What Emily!"

"Don't be mad at JJ"

"Emily, she lied to me."

Emily loved Reid like a brother and sometimes even a son but right now he was testing her patience. She said softly. "Come get lunch with me."

Reid nodded walking to Emily's SUV and Emily walked back into the precinct informing the team and once again kissing JJ goodbye.

Emily went and sat in the driver's seat buckling putting her sunglasses on looking behind her as she put the vehicle in gear. They drove in silence, Emily looked around pulling into a diner. Emily got out of the car and Reid followed her in like a lost puppy. They had a seat and ordered food. Emily finally broke the silence saying "Spence-"

"Emily! I don't want to talk!"

Emily was stunned by his outburst Emily slowly said "Okay. Okay. Can you just listen?"

Reid slowly nodded. Emily smacked her lips together saying "Look, Reid, I know you're mad at us because we didn't tell you what really happened, and... I understand that. But I promise you, we had no choice. You mourned the loss of a friend. I mourned the loss of six one being my wife while I also mourned the loss of not watching my daughter grow up. This whole thing gave me an ulcer. Please, don't give me another one."

"You guys are my best friends. My family. You opened your family to me. I came over almost every day. I cried to her and she didn't tell me."

"Oh, Spence. She wanted to! She wanted so bad but she couldn't. You have become a part of our family like a brother. You are an amazing Uncle to Grace. But, but if she told you it would put her, me, and Grace all in danger. My wife hurt for seven months because of me. Please don't let her keep hurting."

Reid nodded saying "I'm sorry. I will apologize."

Emily smiled at him saying "Grace is missing her best friend! Would you like to come over this weekend?"

Reid smiled saying "I miss her too! I miss all of you ladies!"