Stumble

It is September, Grace is nine months old, and everything to JJ. She was a cute baby. She was lean and athletic. She was born that way. People often gushed over babies with rolls upon rolls of fat while grace did have rolls they didn't compare to any nine-month JJ had ever seen. JJ found Grace to be the most beautiful baby she had ever seen. While there was some bias JJ also knew she truly had a gorgeous baby. Her daughter had thick blonde hair, blue eyes that mirrored that of her mothers, and long eyelashes that JJ envied. Grace was the spitting image of her Mommy by all accounts. But there were moments where JJ swore she saw Emily. Even at nine months, Grace had a way of making looks that screamed don't Emily me or I have a Glock leveled at your crotch. Everyday JJ saw a little bit of her Emily through Grace.

It was a Sunday afternoon and JJ was in sweatpants and a tank top. She had spent the day cuddling with Grace. Right now JJ was cross-legged on the floor beside the coffee table that Grace was so tightly gripping onto. It amazed JJ to see her little girl grow stronger every day. She longed for Emily in these moments. The night Grace first pulled herself up she cried for nearly two hours. JJ watched in wonder as her daughter looked around the living room as if it was the first time she had ever seen it.

"The world looks different up there doesn't it Gracie girl?" she cooed

As Grace turned to see JJ she lost balance but JJ quickly caught her swooping her up, blowing raspberries on her belly making her erupt in a fit of giggles. JJ returned her to the coffee table where she eagerly latched on. Grace had been taking steps with her mother's assistance but JJ felt today would be the day Grace would take her first steps. Luckily JJ had good security cameras and she could enjoy the moment while also documenting it. JJ watched as Grace looked around. Miticulising looking at everything around her. She moved her eyes to the ground and back up. JJ decided that Grace was sizing up the floor to decide whether or not she could take it if she fell. JJ softly laughed at her daughter. Not even a year old and already profiling the world. JJ gently scooted back. JJ kept her legs crossed but held out her arms palms up saying in a sweet voice "Grace, Gracie girl! Come to Mommy. Come on my baby bird!"

Grace delicately turned around and after a long pause Grace picked up her left leg then the right then the left successfully stumbled her way through her first three steps. JJ was sure she could do more but JJ was bursting watching her and couldn't wait to scoop her up and hug her close. So she did exactly that! Reaching in front of her she picked Grace uplifting her right in the air a smile plastered on her face. Grace giggled as she looked down at her Mom.

"Oh my! Baby Bird you did it! Mommy is so proud of you!"