Mason Jars and Sweet Tea

A/N: I feel the Jareau clan should be southern even though they aren't from the south. Also, this may be my favorite chapter so far! It's quite long!

The couple arrived at the Jareau family house after a short four-hour drive. Only having to stop and feed/change Grace once. Upon them pulling up in the driveway JJ saw her parent's cars and her brother's cars. JJ called her Mom saying "Hey Mom. I have a surprise for you. Could all you guys go to the back bedroom and please not look! I'll come to get you when I'm ready." JJ hung up the phone turning to Emily saying we have got to get in position quickly, you know how they are."

Emily nodded, picking up Grace crouching low and holding Grace to her chest. She scurried to the back of the house like they do when they are about to raid a place. JJ laughed at her wife's antics walking to the front door. She went inside and up the stairs and knocked on the door opening slowly. The minute the door opened Sandy bombarded JJ with a hug. She pulled away asking "Where is my grandbaby?"

JJ said, "She's part of the surprise." Sandy started to bounce with excitement and JJ laughed saying "Whoa let me hug the rest of my family." JJ went and hugged her father saying "Hey Daddy."

"Hey, my sweet girl. How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm tired but I'm good."

She went over and hugged her older brother Jason "How is Lily and my niece?"

"They are good! They are actually on a little girls' trip right now!"

JJ laughed saying "That's precious."

She went over and hugged her younger brother ruffling his hair "How is 21 treating you, Rhett?"

Jason laughed saying "I doubt he will remember it."

Dom smacked his son's head "Jason!"

Sandy said, "I am ready for this surprise Jennifer!"

JJ laughed "Okay. Okay, come with me."

JJ leads her family to the back patio Dom said "Nothing out here Jay."

"Hang on Dad. Everyone close your eyes."

JJ said, "Okay sweetie."

Emily came and placed Grace on her feet in the grass. Grace was in cloth moccasins with "jeans'' and a soft creme knitted sweater. Emily squatted behind her keeping hold of Grace's hands. Emily nodded and JJ gently said, "Open your eyes."

The family opened their eyes eagerly. What they saw shocked them all. Sandy quickly ran out to the grass scooping Grace from Emily's hands. Holding Grace close. Emily's eyes flashed pain as she quickly made contact with JJ asking for her assistance.

"Mom, Dad, Boys. This is a very long story we would be happy to tell you later but in short, Emily was in danger from a past... uhm... let's say... a past case and so she left. She left to protect us. Then we were faced with a decision. A very tough decision we didn't take lightly. Emily did die. She flatlined in the back of the ambo but they were able to save her. We decided to fake her death."

Sandy exclaimed "You faked her death?! Leaving you without a wife and my grandbaby without a mother! Why how could you?"

Emily said "I did what I had to do to protect my family. Protect my daughter, your daughter."

Sandy said "Don't tell me about my daughter's safety. I was there when you died. I was the one who helped pick her off the floor. You weren't even dead!"

Just as Sandy was ready to storm off JJ said "Mother! You can storm off. You can walk away and process but give me my daughter."

Sandy was shocked by her daughter's tone. She quickly handed Grace to JJ clearly passing Emily. JJ said through gritted teeth "To Emily. Hand my daughter to her mother."