Part 45

Nathan's POV:

I step outside to have a cigarette, cold, crisp autumn air against the skin on my neck and face, I take the pack of cigarettes out of my pocket and begin to open it, take a cigarette out and then take out my lighter and begin to light my cigarette before putting the cigarette in my mouth, and enjoy a small smoke in the quiet nothing else around, except for the two men who were having a conversation, cracking a few jokes and having their beer just enjoying the moment, it was muffled laughter but it was just nice to be stood there and having the cigarette to just having it in my own headspace, inhale to exhale to just feel my shoes against the ground of the pub car park.

I soon get tapped on the shoulder which makes me jump a bit "chill Nate only me" says Levi "sorry Levi was just in my own little world pal" I say "yeah I figured" says Levi "you want a fag or..." I offer Levi, with the packet in hand "err..." says Levi before pausing, he soon shakes his head "yeah go on then" I pull out a cigarette and hand it to Levi along with my golden lighter, Levi starts to spark up the cigarette "cheers Nate" "no problems" I say I shrug my shoulders "Nathan I don't want to sound like an asshole here but I kind of need to talk to you" says Levi I knew it you can never escape this as I know what it's like to be an older brother and look out for your younger sister or brother. 

"Yeah sure, shoot," I say "right, item one I'm really happy Raya's met you and to be honest you seem and are a genuinely good lad and that's all I want for Raya someone who'll protect her, someone who'll care about her, and someone who'll love her for who and what she is," says Levi "I'd do that doesn't matter what," I say "I believe you," says Levi he takes a drag on his cigarette before carrying on "I just don't want to see her broken again Nathan as if I'd have got my hands on Connor on some occasions I'd have killed him the little bastard I want her happy" "I know I mean she's told me a few stories about Connor that he was abusive and cheated and..." I say before pausing at the last stage of the sentence "you know about her miscarriage I guess?" says Levi I nod "that was just plain evil and I really wanted to rag his throat out" "I can believe I did too but to be honest with you Levi..." I say "the history would have repeated itself" interrupts Levi "how did you guess?" I ask "same thing that I thinks going to happen to the other two I mean Raya's been bad with bipolar since the age of twelve which was brought on by both of our parents" says Levi sadly "what's the dad and the wife's kids like?" I ask Levi sighs before taking a drag "long story but the young girl who looks like Raya she's really withdrawn and so mousy and quiet, the little lad's a lot like me before all the shit kicked off" says Levi "yeah I know you both come from a really terrible background" I say "and I know it's none of my business but yeah it's like in a way me and Raya were meant to find each other" "what do you mean?" asks Levi I shrug "basically I came from a similar background Mum and Dad arguing, violence abuse in the home my older brother Julian had to pick up the pieces after the arguments and he was young they should have known better but yeah thats the life I was brought up in, anyway when I met Raya and we started talking it's almost as if we're the male and female version of each other to be honest" I say "yeah Nate basically I've said what I've needed to say so..." says Levi "I'm glad you did bro as if it was my little sister I'd be the exact same way" I say, Levi nods before we stub out our cigarettes in the ashtray at one of the tables outside and head back inside.