Unbalance Chemicals

Brooklyn's POV:

Did you know, growing up I always wanted a younger sibling; preferably a little brother. It wasn't that I was had anything against having a sister but knowing me, I would have been overprotective of her and also... I could hardly stand the idea of me having a period, I didn't want to handle another Knight on theirs.

So imagine how I felt when I neither got a brother or a younger sibling but someone who could be my twin, and might I add, the older one out of us two.

Now, I don't usually get jealous since I honestly didn't get the point in it, but all throughout last night that was exactly how I was feeling. You see, I pride myself on not chasing people after what happened with Sydney, with the only other person being Emma. It just made me feel vulnerable and a little stupid. I didn't like feeling that way one bit. I was still getting used to being completely open with Emma which, for 95% of the time, I did pretty alright with. My automatic reflex when responding to someone who was getting aggressive with me was to be sarcastic, maybe a little witty, charming even. I liked avoiding problems and trying to making a situation seem less than what it was, which I tried to do last night.

Keyword tried.

All throughout last night's anniversary party for mom's company, Florence kept trying to be the center of attention with dad, mom, and even Emma. I was okay with giving her the stage but not with my favorite characters.

I mean what gives? If you came with someone you claimed to like, you sure hang with that person, not with someone's else girlfriend. I did try, however, to count to 10 and chew on the inside of my cheeks, but the more and more time that passed, the more agitated I felt for a couple of reasons. Some were dumb, I'll admit, but others were well-deserving reasons. For example, her stupid accent. Now, I'm no sociolinguistics but I know for a fact she was sounded like she came from New Zealand with maybe a hint of Australian. That was probably a dumb reason to be mad, but the more serious one ranged from how handy she was with Emma and how she was making Emma uncomfortable.

Obviously, Emma didn't react externally since whenever Florence was with Emma, mom was nearby. Instead, Emma would awkwardly laugh before moving closer to me. Me being me, I ended up just having her wrapped in my arms for the rest of the night after the third time Florence touched her. I also made sure my jacket was wrapped around her tightly and pull Emma slightly away from the group.

I had thought at that point that maybe, Florence would get the hint to go back to Sydney, but then her focus turned towards dad, who was all too happy to share his knowledge about the medical field, what with her being a physician assistant in all.

If I knew anything about the medical field, I would have tried to join in on the conversation but my human anatomy and physiology only took me so far. I would only book smart, not actually some Einstein who knew everything. It was only when Florence tried to talk about some kind of case she helped handled that I was able to change the conversation. It was against HIPAA law to talk about patients with other parties that didn't have anything to do with the case.

Dad tried to laugh it off and continue the conversation but after seeing how I was staring at him, he dropped it.

The only two people who didn't try to talk to Florence was Sydney and mom. Mom was too busy cooing me like she always did in front of people to play the mother of the year, while Sydney kept touching my arm to gain my attention. I obviously keep shrugging her hand off and would just put Emma's hand where Sydney had touched me to make it a point to Sydney to leave me alone. It obviously didn't work, the blondie would just smirk and wink at me.

To say I was frustrated was an understatement. I was sweating, tired, and just wanted to get out of these clothes. What set the atmosphere for the night, however, was when Florence almost kissed Emma, when we were saying goodbye to everyone.