~Chapter•20~

"Sash, I'll be having early shift today. So I guess we're cancelling the plan"

I look up while that sentence pierced through me very badly. It almost hurt. He shouldn't have said it at least when I was working on my laptop. Especially python "But...you said that this was your most convenient day"

"I did but they said I'll have to be at the hospital" he seemed sad. Just seemed

"I already informed her that we'll be at her place. If I back up, what do you think she'll assume about us?"

He blinks apologetically as if he's mentally pitying me and I really hate it when this happens "I'm sorry but they're saying it's important. I told them that I had some important stuff to deal with but they're saying it's gonna be risky without me" he then shrugs with that sadness etched on his face. 

I can't say anything on this statement and slowly nod "Alright then" I shut my laptop, put it under my arm, unfold my legs and overtake him while taking my steps to the room pretending to not realize that it's glaringly obvious I'm upset. Very upset and angry and disappointed "I'm going to bed" our eyes meet deeply which was interrupted by the shut of the door. After I push my laptop back into the small shelf of the bedside table, I drop on the bed and curl and twist then clip my hair into a messy bun. The soft and fluffy edges of the bed mattress are in my palms now. 

He promised. 

He promised that we'll be visiting Thea. It was the first time after her marriage when she called us for dinner. And I sadly have to reject it.

I have the disappointment of this in me, but at the same time, the guilt pokes my insides that it is not his fault after all. It's none's fault. The hospital needs him. The patient does.

This is very confusing. I'm not sure if I'm angry or not at him.

My phone rings for the notification. I check the banner where Thea sent me a photo. It's a photo of hers and Hazel in a greenish lawn sitting with their legs crossed. Their hair pushed away by the breeze and she's holding a mug in her hand while Hazel has her sunglasses pulled down with a hand.

Hazel will be here too. Just waiting for you guys for tonight.

I feel so bad. I don't want to tell her about this. She's surely gonna be mad and who knows, she might never talk to me again...I quickly send her a text.

Sorry! Can't come.

After a few seconds while her status goes typing...she replies. 

Why not?

Edward's got a call from hospital. He's going to have late shift.

She doesn't give a reply for a while. This time, guilt consumes the whole me.

Really? Can't he try coming?

I asked but he said it would be risky without him. Sorry. Will be there next time.

Alright

He knocks the door and a second later opens it "May I come in?" 

I drop my phone on the bed and nod "You didn't have to ask" 

He comes and sits beside me as the yellow light of the lamp rests on his face blurred on the border "Sorry" 

My eyes lift at his face. His truly apologetic face "It's okay. I can understand it's important Ed" 

"I'm glad you do," he states with some sort of relief rushing in him"I promise the next time I get a chance, I'll surely go with you anywhere you want-I won't back up"