Face off

Episode: 15x09

"The truth is, I don't think Lisa ever got over what happened to Phil." Luke said, as some of the team reunited in the living room of Spencer and Lily's apartment for one of their very needed hang outs. "I mean, how could she, really?"

"I'm so sorry, Luke." Penelope said, as Luke shrugged a little.

"Lisa and I'll still be friends, I mean, you know..." He said, after telling the his friends that the reason his girlfriend hadn't come was because she wasn't his girlfriend at all anymore. "We were always honest with each other."

"So, unfortunately, Rossi can't make it tonight, but JJ just texted to say that she and Emily are on their way over right now." Spencer announced, stepping into the room with Alec in his hip and a cellphone in the other, probably from talking to JJ.

"Great." Tara smiled. "And thanks for hosting, guys."

"Yeah, we know you guys are still fixing everything from your move."

"Yeah, the house is a bit of a mess." Lily admitted, looking around the apartment where some of Spencer's boxes still laid around. After all, the two of them had been engaged for a while now, but they had just now realized that they hadn't lived together before. That was mostly due to the fact that Lily had Claire in her apartment - and Fred too, and now Alec, most of the time - but now the girl was nineteen and off to college so she was moving out which meant Lily's apartment would have a little more space for Spencer. Besides, he was always there anyway, so it wasn't much of a move. More of a... Bringing all of his stuff over permanently. "Sorry about that."

"Don't worry." Matt shook his head. "We've barely noticed it."

Lily laughed then, shaking her head, but taking Alec from Spencer when he gave the boy over to his mom after he started growing a bit restless in his daddy's arms.

"Well, thank you for coming." Spencer shrugged, as he sat on the back on the couch, behind Lily. "When we move properly here, we'll have another hang out."

"Guys, I have something to say." Penelope announced, after everyone nodded at Spencer's proposition before turning to the blonde instead. "An opportunity has presented itself to me, and it is in the Silicon Valley."

"The Silicon Valley?" Lily repeated, a frown taking over her face as Penelope rushed to explain herself.

"Global Stratagem Development." She said. "They're a private research group that's expanding their stratagem to include combating global environmental change."

"Wow, that sounds perfect for you." Luke said, and, as much as Lily agreed, she couldn't really deny she had mixed feelings about this. "You get to do all the good work you do at the BAU without the gore."

"Yeah." Penelope nodded, before glaring at Luke. "But... Are you trying to get rid of me?"

"No." Luke defended himself quickly. "I don't want anybody going anywhere."

"Right, and I don't want to go anywhere." Penelope said, her words to everyone, but her eyes set on Lily. "I love... I mean, this is my home. Not this room, but, you know, the BAU is and... Come on. We're family."

At that, Lily sighed, because she knew she was expected to say something about all of this. Penelope was expecting her to say something. She needed her to say something. So, in spite of the pain in her chest at the possibility of not having Penelope at the bureau at all times anymore, or having her slip into her office so the two of them could gossip for a while to take a break from their gruesome work, or buying her one of those pink fancy little drinks along with plain black tea just so she could take it over to her and see that pretty smile she had that lit up her whole world.

"Yeah, we're family." Lily finally spoke up as Penelope let out a relieved sigh. "And our relationship to each other is not bound by wherever we show up to go to work."

"Really?" Penelope said, her eyes filled with hope and Lily smiled, knowing she could never deny her much when she looked at her like that. "You're not mad at me?"

"Mad?" Lily frowned. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"I... I just... I thought..."

"Look, yes, I'm sad we won't see each other everyday, but I could never be mad at you for something like that."

"Oh, I'm so relieved..." Penelope sighed as Lily pulled her best friend into a side hug with the arm that wasn't wrapped around her son in her lap.

"If you have the opportunity to do something you love, Penelope, you should absolutely explore it." Tara said, as Lily nodded.

"And we'll support you, no matter what." She said. "No matter what you do or where you go, we'll be right behind you."

"Because we're family." Matt said, as Lily nodded.

"Yes." She smiled. "Because we're family."