The Claire Todd Case

A/N: So this one is an entirely original one by me and a bit longer, so, I do hope you enjoy it. Also, here where I live, it is Mother's day so it kind of fits anyway hahaha

"Everybody's got a past. The past does not equal the future, unless you live there." - Tony Robbins

"So, here's the case." JJ said as she noticed everyone was already at the conference room. "A few years ago, there was this guy who abducted little girls all over the California state. He ended up killing three of them, but as he was inexperienced, he ended up leaving fingerprints and DNA on them, making it easier for the Police to catch him." She explained, as pictures of three very young girls appeared on the screen. Garcia shuddered.

"There are no visible marks of torture or sexual assault." Lily frowned, as she examined the photos.

"Shouldn't be." Spencer said, as he looked over the files. "Says here the girls died from malnutrition."

"Starvation was the torture?" Emily asked.

"Don't think so." Lily shook her head. "I mean... Look at them. They are wearing nice clothes, their hair is brushed, teeth are clean... If JJ hadn't said they were dead, there was a high chance of us thinking they were sleeping."

"That's a lot of remorse." Rossi said and Lily nodded.

"Maybe they died of malnutrition because the guy didn't know how to take care of them. How old were the girls, anyway? 4 months? Maybe 5? At that age a baby still needs maternal milk. Even if you give them normal food, they'll die of malnutrition."

"So... Why did he take the girls in the first place?" Emily asked.

"Anyway... That's when it gets interesting guys..." JJ continued.

"Oh, it wasn't already?" Garcia mumbled and Lily smiled gently at her.

"Years ago, this guy was arrested. He was supposed to be doing 15 years of prison, but his lawyer managed to lessen the sentence."

"How?" Hotch asked.

"He claimed his client wasn't in his right mind. Convinced the judge that once his girlfriend left him, he snapped and was never the same."

"So the girlfriend leaving is the stressor?" Rossi frowned.

"For abducting babies?" Morgan asked. "Doesn't make any sense. In cases like this, the guy would normally target women, not babies."

"Maybe it's a way of affecting them?" Lily offered.

"But JJ, why this case now?" Hotch asked, going through the files that were seconds ago in Spencer's hands.

"Well... From 15 years, Doctor Fleming, the lawyer managed to reduce the sentence to nine years. And now, he's out and he's attacking again, but he's not abducting babies anymore."

Without another word, JJ placed on the screen pictures of two young girls.

"They were both nine and found a week after being reported missing. No signs of torture or sexual assault but..."

"Let me guess... Died of malnutrition?" Emily sighed.

"Starvation." JJ corrected.

"So... Wait a second... This guy starts off abducting babies – all girls. Nine years later, out of jail, he restarts the process but now with nine-year-old girls?" Lily frowned. "It's like he's following someone's growth."

"Maybe he lost a child of his own?" Spencer wondered.

"What's his name, JJ?" Morgan asked.

"His name's Connor Floyd, 27."