Formidable Devotion

By linnetplacid

Raised in an abusive home, Nathaniel Wilbur and Gweneth Adamey had less to nothing while growing up, with ver... More

Characters
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII

XVII

227 39 16
By linnetplacid

JULIET HARRISON'S POV

I showered slowly, buying myself sometime in his bathroom as I stared at it. Since I showed up in this house there wasn't anything that could tell me the kind of person Nathaniel is. No picture frames, no books, no colour....there wasn't any intricate details that would reveal to me who I've been dealing with.

But after spending only three minutes in this bathroom, I'm starting to understand something.

I notice that the white walls of the bathroom have writings painted on them, but not with artistic designs of any particular talent, but just random words that I couldn't understand, not English. They appeared angry, as through written during moments of absolute rage. Some of the words looked really fresh, as though written yesterday, the paint is still glistening. While others looked dull, and faint like they've been there for a while .

All hidden in this place, away from prying eyes.

And that gave me an epiphany  I hadn't realized before.

This house that I thought didn't reveal anything about Nathan actually told me so much, the truth was hidden in plain sight.

Nathaniel  does not want people to see straight through him. That's why  his house has very few details, not because he doesn't have a particular taste in material or design, he is purposefully choosing to not be decorative.

He prefers being alone. At first I just thought that he was alone due to circumstances but after seeing how he hides all his thoughts in encrypted words on his bathroom walls, I now know its not true. He chose this life, to be out here. This wasn't circumstantial.

He doesn't trust anyone.

He has anger issues, I suspected this one, but after seeing this bathroom, my suspensions are justified.

Something happened to him, something terrible. And it did not only mess up his flesh, it fucked with his head. Because the writings on these walls  are absolutely tarnishing.

But what happened?

Who is Nathaniel Wilbur?

The water is starting to get cold, and I realize I've been under the shower for way too long. I'm surprised Nathan hasn't called me out. I scrub my body quickly and I giggle to myself, he let me use his bathing scrub. If only he'd let me use the toothbrush too.

Oh well, today is the last time I'll be in this house. I'll probably never see him again. There isn't time for us to get to know each other.

Perhaps we could've been friends.....or may be even friends of convenience. I'm sure Daniel wouldn't mind if I fucked other people. I would be a liar if I claimed not to be even slightly attracted to Nathaniel.

The shower head above me begins to shake vigorously and I stare at it with confusion. Why is it doing that?

Then water stops flowing.

No way!

Did he forget to pay the bill?

I've barely finished showering and my body is still covered with  soap.

"Nathan, the water is out." I yell out.

Before I can hear his response, the shower roars back to life. But instead of clean water dropping onto my body, muddy black waters begins to flow, streaming down my body from head to toe, and I immediately scream on top my lungs. "Nathaniel...."

What the hell?!!!!!

I get out of the shower and stand just behind the bathroom door. "Nathan...." I call out to him. Dirt particles have settled in my eyes and I can't see properly, they also hurt.

The water splashes all over the bathroom, the showerhead shaking violently and turning the place into a mad pool. My towel now looks like the ground's twin brother. And I just stand there naked, covered in filth.

Nathan comes knocking on the bathroom door, "what's going on in there?"

"Dirty water is flowing out of your shower."

Nathan immediately opens the door and steps inside, "Shit shit shit!" He curses, running to turn the taps off.

"I think there's mud clogging my ears," I tell him. "And my eyes too." My vision is blurry, and my eyes are starting to sting. I can barely open them.

He approaches me, palming my cheeks with his hands and lifting my face. "Fuck!" He curses. "Sorry about this." I think he has already registered that I'm naked infront of him , I wish I could see the look on his face. But that's not the important issue right now. The issue here is that I'm covered in mud.

My skin is itching and I think I should be worried.

"It burns." I tell him. "My skin is starting to hurt."

What if this water is infected with some kind of parasite? Oh Lord!

"I'm taking you to the hospital as soon as now, your skin is beginning to turn red." Nathaniel sounded convicted and extremely worried. His reaction alarmed me even more.

I really wish I could see myself. I try to open my eyes but they sting so much that tears form. No no no no, shit, I'm scared.

"Don't panic. This has happened to me before, it's the effect of fertilizer, you'll be fine after I take you to the doctor." He comforts upon noticing my change in breathing. "These taps are connected to the farm,  the pipes over there must've  leaked again and mud penetrated them, contaminating the water. The pipeline was to be replaced yesterday but I guess  Leon didn't do his job ."

Leon? Farm? Nathan works at  a farm?

This has happened to him before? What?

I wasn't sure whether or not to be infuriated at Nathan, especially if he knew something like this could happen and he still let me use the shower. To his defense, he thought Leon (whoever that is) already changed the pipes from yesterday, but Nathaniel should have checked to be sure knowing he has an un-invited guest in the house.

But I didn't say anything.

Because he also used the same bathroom this morning and it could've happened to him, you just can't predict everything.

Nathaniel took a towel from inside the bathroom shelf and covered my body with it. "There's no time to clean you up, we must leave now and get you treated immediately. You can't dress either, clothes will only irritate your skin more and cause rashes."

All I could think about is the pain and .....this  was not how I envisioned Nathaniel seeing me naked.

                     ๑☞ᴥ☞๑

The visit to the doctor's was actually more pleasant than I thought. The nurses cleansed my skin with various essential oils after washing off the dirt from my body with medicated water and applying soothing anti-inflammatory anti-bacterial liquid jel.  They also removed all dirt particles from my eyes and ears. The process was soothing though I felt some mild levels of pain from the aching of my skin.

The doctor examined me afterwards, and prescribed medication for me to use. 

My skin is still itchy and red and swollen, and whatever movement I make only worsens the pain. But the doctor assures me that in due time , everything will be alright. I refused to look at myself in the mirror. I'm better off not seeing how I look for now.

"How long does this take to heal?" I ask him.

"Three to four days. But don't worry, the pain will subside slowly as you proceed with treatment. And while you're at home, make sure to use effectively the prescriptions I gave you."

Nathaniel is in the nursing room with me, the look of guilt covering his face. He stands by the door while I lay flat on the bed. I feel powerless. I can't believe this is actually happening.

I'm wearing a blue hospital gown and I wonder whether I'll be leaving with it, remembering that we left his house without my dress.

But even if we carried that gown, I wouldn't be able to wear it.

"You'll have to return here after five days. For the mean time I urge you to relax and avoid moving around, just lay in bed and let Nathaniel take good care of you until you are healed."

I'm sorry.....what?!

I stare back at Nathan in confusion.

Does this doctor think that I'm in a relationship with Nathaniel? or that we live together?! Did Nathan tell him that? If not, then why is Nathan seemingly not bothered with the doctor's words? What is going on?

"As I said earlier, This has happened to me before and I'll be able to care for you better than anyone else at your home. You can't take a long trip back to the city in this condition. And I also can't drive everyday back and forth from your house to mine, the distance is too long and incase of any emergency I won't get there quickly enough. You'll have to stay at my house. It has to be this way. "

I'm shocked but also intrigued, and may be a little bit glad. Not glad that I'm ill but because what Nathaniel is implying only means that we actually have enough time to get to know each other now. Our story doesn't end here.

The universe truly works in mysterious ways.

________
Any thoughts?

-Lynn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

384K 11.2K 27
Juliet Sullivan's been married to Simon for eight years. Almost a decade if you add their dating and engagement period. When Simon buries his face a...
130K 2.3K 31
" Julian Henry my office now" the wrath of professor Monroe's voice struck through the hall way like a ball of lighting. This was the time Julian k...
336K 11K 40
'𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒆𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖.' |18+| ❝Look at you so open and sexy bent over...
58.5K 3.2K 51
Book - 1. ❝ If only I'd listen to my heart and not my head. ❞ Moving back home to my parents' cattle ranch in Texas was the last thing I thought I'd...