Chances (Sequel To New Beginn...

By SideBra

Sequel To New Beginnings Chase and Ava's first year of college together is going to be one heck of a ride. Wi... More

Chances (Story/Cast/ Synopsis)
Prologue
Chapter 1: Restart
Chapter 2: Beginnings Are Overrated
Chapter 3: Introductions
Chapter 4: Green Eyes
Chapter 5: Giving You a Chance
Chapter 6: Lies Lies Lies
Chapter 7: Pancakes With a Side of Truth
Chapter 8: Party Fever
Chapter 9: The Devil In Disguise
Chapter 10: For the Cameras
Chapter 11: Chance After Chance
Chapter 12: Beach Day
Chapter 13: Emerald Isn't Meant For Everyone
Chapter 14: Keep Pretending
Chapter 15: Guilty Conscience
Chapter 16: Crumbling Brownies
Chapter 17: Once More
Chapter 18: Always and Forever
Chapter 19: Surprise after Surprise
Chapter 20: Hugh Hefner and his Unfortunate Bunnies
Chapter 21: Muah
Chapter 22: Trapped
Chapter 23: Wishing on a Shooting Star
Chapter 25: Whatever it Takes
Chapter 26: <3
Chapter 27: See You
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29: Manifestation Nation
Chapter 30: Another side.
Chapter 31: Back of the Taxi
Chapter 32: Just a Piece of Your Heart
Chapter 33: Hole in One.. Sorta
Chapter 34: gunfire and lead
Chapter 35: Small Town Miracles
Chapter 36: His Lullaby
Chapter 37: Herbal Remedy
Chapter 38: Justice
Chapter 39: Chances.

Chapter 24: The Old Chase

1.8K 48 9
By SideBra

"Fuck that little conniving-"

"Julian." 

Julian rolled his eyes as I cut him off before he let out some nasty words. We were finally in our dorm, and after my meltdown inside Julian's car I was grateful. My emotions had skyrocketed and I ended up telling him about the deal Cartia had tricked me into. To say he was angry was an understatement. Julian was pacing the room, ready to draw his fist at anyone who came in that door. 

"You have to tell Ava. She can help us, I know it." Julian said reaching for his phone. 

Before he could I snatched it away and gripped onto it tightly. "Absolutely not. Didn't you hear what I said earlier? Cartia could ruin everything for her."

Julian shook his head, "Fine. How are we going to get you out of this?" 

I sighed, "There is no way out. I have to sit back and pretend to be happy with someone I hate, and I get to watch Ava fall out of love with me."

Julian stayed silent. I bit my cheek, attempting to calm me down. My mind kept replaying Ava and Beck together over and over again. As much as I hated to admit it, I was sure he could do more for her than I could. I wanted to be the guy she had fell in love with last year, but even I knew I had changed way too much. I wasn't the same, and I knew I wouldn't ever be. I was only a couple months into college, and I had already managed to screw up everything I had going for me.

Good job, Chase.

"We'll figure it out together. Go to bed, we got afternoon practice tomorrow." Julian said patting my back before getting into his bed.

I was glad Julian was still here. After all of my lies and stupid choices, I was shocked to see him by my side. I knew he had a soft spot for Ava, I wasn't sure how he didn't just end our friendship once and for all. Man, was I thankful for him. 

As the hours went by, I couldn't sleep knowing she was out with some other guy. I hoped she didn't think I had just moved on, maybe I could change her mind. I decided to take Julian's advice and at least try. Was it selfish? Yes, but I couldn't help it. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and composed a message. 

2:57 a.m. Me: Ava, maybe you moved onto Beck but I know you deserve the truth about everything that has happened with Cartia. I'm in hell without you, and I know what I'm doing could cost me everything. Possibly even you. If you're still in love with me, meet me at midnight at the old barn where it all started.

I waited a while, but I got no response. Hopefully, she was asleep and she would text me back in the morning. Somehow, I managed to put my phone down and catch some sleep. That night, I dreamt of how life would be if I hadn't taken the offer at UCLA. I'd be peacefully sleeping knowing that Ava would never leave my side, and I would be playing football only. None of this extra stuff would be happening. Sadly, even asleep I knew it was impossible.

The next morning was worse than today, I had no motivation to learn the new plays. Everyone was lined up ready to start, and I was more focused on my life problems. Usually football helped me take my mind off of everything, but this time I wanted nothing to do with the sport. Coach blew his whistle, which led us all to scramble. I sprinted away from the defense as quick as I could, waiting for Julian to pass the ball. 

From the corner of my eye, I could see Mr. Addeo and his son that I had recently grew to despise. Why was he even here? My fist clenched at the mere thought of him and Ava together. I wondered if he knew about his father's snake actions, along with his sisters. He had to have figured it out by now. 

"Chase!" Darnell warned.

Before I knew it, the football I had been waiting on had been pelted straight to my helmet. This entire situation was screwing with my head. I grabbed the football, shoved it into the nearest guy and walked off fuming. 

"Myers, get your ass over here now." Our head coach, Tyson,  hollered at me.

I walked back to coach hoping I wouldn't get in too much trouble for my sudden outburst. As I reached him, he put his arm around my shoulder and walked me away from the field. I was waiting for my punishment but it never came. 

"They got you, didn't they?" Coach asked me, briefly glancing at Mr. Addeo.

It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. Maybe this was a trick they had set up for me to fail. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm just a bit stressed."

He laughed slightly, and led me to the tunnel we come out of before games. His smile wiped off as soon as we were alone. "Don't lie to me, I know they tricked you about the contract."

My mouth gaped open, how the hell did he know? I stayed silent, not really knowing how to respond. Coach took one look at my face and threw his hat off his head in frustration, he muttered a string of curse words. Was I not the first person to fall for this? 

"They told me they were done with this... How could you have fallen for it?" 

I looked down guiltily, "I got blindsided by the glitz and glamour of it all. Coach, they're gonna ruin my girls' life if they find out you know."

"I'm very familiar with their threats, you aren't the first person that family has tricked." 

I knew it. When her friends were around us last night, and they didn't even care that we had spoken about the supposed contract, I knew something was up. My suspicions were correct. The only question now was, how many more people were victims?

"What are they even gaining from this?" I asked confused.

He bitterly laughed, "They'll earn almost sixty-five percent commission from every check you'll make in the NFL. That's how they have so much money son."

Anger rushed over my body, knowing I would be their pawn for the rest of my life. Mr. Addeo might've said it was for a short time, but I was almost positive the contract said something else. How could I have been so reckless? I needed a copy of that contract.

"About how many more guys are there?" I asked.

"Almost a dozen. There are women too, the Addeo's look for upcoming celebrities and end up manipulating them. Not a single member of that family is with anyone for pure intentions, they only view people as money making machines."

Fuck, Beck had Ava wrapped around his finger. Knowing how Ava saw the best in people, she would be completely blind to his motives. I shook my head not being able to deal with this any longer. I began to walk off towards my car, ready to confront her. However, Coach Tyson stopped me before I could get anywhere.

"Let go, I have to save her." I said getting out of his tight grip.

He, once again, grabbed my arm and looked behind him. "You'll only make it worse, they'll know we were talking. It will only get worse from here."

I stopped fighting him, "Beck's going to do the same to Ava, and you just expect me to stay quiet about it?"

"This entire situation is bigger than us, you have no clue kid. She'll be fine for now, but in the meantime, read that contract and gather as much information as you can while you're close to Cartia. She likes you, use it to your advantage."

"How do you know so much about this?" I questioned suspiciously. 

Coach Tyson avoided eye contact with me and shamefully looked at the ground, "Sometimes people will do whatever it takes to provide for their own."

Could that mean he was like me, and stuck in the similar situation? I was beyond confused and was waiting to ask more questions, but Coach had quickly put on his hat and recreated the stern look he had on earlier.

"Pull that crap again, and you'll be running double. We are a winning team, okay?" He barked.

"What..?" I asked confused.

"Everything good down here?" Mr Addeo asked from behind me. 

Oh, makes sense now. 

"Everything's fine, just making sure Chase understands we don't tolerate tantrums on the field."

Mr. Addeo looked between Coach and I in suspicion. I needed to quickly do something before he asked any questions. I could see Coach Tyson's forehead form with sweat, there was no doubt he'd give us away.

"Won't happen again sir." I sternly said before acknowledging Mr. Addeo's presence. 

As I began to jog back into the field, I realized I needed to stoop down to the Addeo's level and play dirty. If they wanted to trick me into signing a contract that would keep me caged in, then I guess I would have to trick Cartia into thinking I was in love with her. I wanted to break her down and make her feel the same way I did when I had to say goodbye to Ava.

 It was time to bring back the old Chase Myers, the heartbreaker. 

Coach Tyson called off practice a bit early, something told me it was to do with Mr. Addeo. I jogged back into locker rooms. I felt an intense gaze directed towards me as I made my way back. I turned my head, only to see Beckham staring right at me with his arms folded against his chest. I smirked and saluted him before walking back into the locker rooms.

I knew his good boy act was too good to be true, in fact he was just as nasty as the rest of his family. I gave the guy credit though, he masked his ill intentions fairly well. It was almost laughable, I couldn't wait to tell Julian his new friend was full of shit. I grabbed my phone, hoping to see a text back from Ava, but instead my phone was flooded with messages from Cartia. Shocker.

I sighed, and hoped she was still sleeping. Whether I got a text back or not, I was going to that barn. I knew Ava and as much as she hated to admit it, she was always there for me. It sucks I took advantage of it, but I would repay her. Getting her away from Beck would be enough, I hoped. That's why tonight would be important for us. She knew how I felt about the barn, after all that's where I had opened up to her about my past situation with Peter and Trish. It's where my dad used to take me. 

As I jumped into the showers, I let the hot water consume me. I usually was the last one out of here since I liked to take my time or put in extra work. Weird enough, the showers were the only place I could get some peace and quiet. Cartia wasn't in here nagging at me, Coach wasn't barking out orders, and more importantly, the guys weren't in here doing their little pranks. After the first week of practice, I refused to shower with people in here after Vince stole my clothes and made me streak across the field to get them back.

I wrapped my towel around me and got back to the now empty locker room. Well, almost empty. Beck was sitting down right next to my locker tapping his foot impatiently. Instead of cursing him out, I decided to put on my little act. 

"You good?" I asked walking around him.

I caught Beck roll his eyes, and I couldn't help but smile a little bit. "Actually, I needed to speak to you."

"About?"

"Ava." He smugly stated.

I turned to him, holding myself back. I watched his stance, and I knew he was going to brag about their night together. As confident as I wanted to sound, I wasn't sure how Ava felt about me anymore. Tonight would prove if she still loved me. 

"Okay.." 

"I just wanted to let you know Ava and I have been, well, going out for some time. I think it's best you let go." He taunted.

The urge to roll my eyes was so hard to hold back, but if I was going to pass off this new guy act I needed to try harder. He had to be bull shitting me, Ava had told me last night they had only hung out once before his party. I wasn't dumb.

"Well, I wish you the best then. She's a nice girl." 

Beck scoffed, "Yeah, she was really sweet last night."

He wanted a reaction. I knew that Beck figured I had heard about their kiss. Ava wasn't the type of girl to just put out the first night, so I knew she hadn't slept with him either. Well, that's what I hoped. I was being scrutinized by Beck, I just wanted to slap the stupid smirk he wore all the damn time. He was using my Ava for his benefit. As long as I was here, she would not sign the contract.

"Good for you, is that all you came for?" I impatiently asked grabbing my car keys.

"Actually, my dad wanted me to give you this." He said handing me a creme envelope. "He also wanted me to make sure you were practicing enough, the contract can only do so much."

Beck winked at me before he walked off wearing his stupid expensive dress pants and his stupid crisp white blouse. I angrily grabbed my stuff and walked off in the opposite direction. I let this guy get under my skin, that made me more upset. I needed to turn off my newly found emotions, but lately it was so hard. In the past, I could easily switch it off and not care. Damn Ava, she turned me into this mushy mess.

I raced through the busy streets of LA, ignoring the buzz my phone kept making. I already knew who it was, and I wasn't in the mood to pretend to be into her just yet. Instead, I decided to stop by the nearest market and make tonight a bit romantic. I knew this topic would be heavy, but the more I could do to ease her stress was better.

I grabbed the shopping cart, instantly being reminded of the time we went grocery shopping together last year. I smiled remembering how she blushed once the elderly woman asked if we were together. I grabbed candles, red roses, and some snacks. It's crazy to think how happy I was back then, and now I'm struggling to get more than twenty minutes of random chatter. 

My phone began to ring as I got back into my car. Connecting it to the bluetooth, I cursed myself for answering. "Why haven't you been answering my calls all day?" Cartia raged.

I cringed at the sound of her angry voice. I wondered what had gotten her in a twisted mood. "My phone died, I'm sorry." I lied.

"Whatever, have you opened the envelope my father gave you?" 

I glanced at the beige envelope that lied lifelessly on the passenger seat. "Actually, I was just about to."

"I'll save you the trouble, it's just an invitation to another dinner but instead daddy said he wanted you to meet some of his friends."

Before, the idea of meeting some of Mr. Addeo's 'friends' excited me. Now, I just knew they were probably all apart of this scheme. I was sure none of them even cared about my stats or how good I was with a football. This was all for show, I was just another idiot that signed a piece of paper. I was a puppet on a damn string. Not for long, though.

"Sounds fun Cartia." I sighed.

She stayed silent for a moment, and I thought she had hung up. Instead, a weak voice came through. "Were you being serious when you said you were starting to catch feelings for me?"

I rolled my eyes, at how foolish I was. "I thought I did, but I was wrong. I was more blinded if anything."

"Oh." 

Shit. I had forgotten about my plan for a split second. If I wanted to have her in the palm of my hand, I needed to start being nicer. I had to give her false hope at a real relationship together. 

"But things can change, right?" I swooned.

"Y-yeah. I like you Chase, if it were up to me I'd get rid of the contract."

Coach Tyson was right. Cartia actually liked me, she was my only way out. "So why don't you? We could try us again, it wouldn't be hard to fall for a girl like you."

Cartia giggled through the phone, "Daddy would kill me if I did. You know we only have a couple more weeks until we can officially announce us as a couple. It can't be so hard to forget the contract."

I squeezed the steering wheel in frustration. "I gotta go."

"Oh, wait. Would you maybe want to swing by the sorority later? I miss you."

Jesus, obviously not. "I've got to study some plays, but I miss you too."

"Okay well, text me once you're free." She said before I hung up on her.

Admitting to another girl that you missed them was wrong. As the night came, I never received a text from Ava. It still didn't stop me from waiting on her. I ended up at the barn a couple hours before and I set everything up. I lit candles around a blanket I had found in my car and placed the red roses to the side. The front door to the barn was wide open, in case I saw Ava's car I would have enough time to say the right thing. 

Instead, no lights flashed through. It was half past midnight, and I stood alone. I knew she had chosen, but damn it hurt to admit it. I had driven her to the point where she didn't even care anymore, she had moved on officially. I guess Beck had told the truth, I was just too self-involved with myself to realize maybe she didn't want saving.

I got everything together, ready to move it back into my car. I still wouldn't let her sign the contract. If it costed me everything to save her from a life full of hell, then so be it. I would pretend to be happy with Cartia for as long as it took to get Ava and I out. If it took months or even years as long as Ava was okay, I knew I would do anything for her.

Just as I was walking away, a shooting star struck the sky. Usually I would laugh and make fun of any loser that believed in that crap. But I needed all the help I could get. Even if it was from a stupid star. So I shut my eyes.

I wished the crap out of that star. Hoping a miracle would happen bringing Ava back to me.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.1K 1K 35
Audry has a lot of life planned out for herself but it's not going to be easy to navigate. After a long year of figuring out what and who she wants t...
22.5K 462 46
With interconnected stories between ten people about devotion and betrayal wrapped into one book, you will discover that in life you may never know o...
39.6K 1.3K 33
"𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬, 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭...
116K 5.7K 43
❝We were quite a cliche, weren't we?❞ he smirked but I ignored the pang it spread in my chest. ❝We were. But this is real life. We can't hang on fan...