Pantomath

By TALA546

A my hero academia fan fiction where All Might didn't lose the slime monster... and Izuku, dreams freshly cru... More

Introduction
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Intermission 1:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14:
Chapter 15:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
Chapter 21:
Chapter 22:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Intermission 3:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
Chapter 31:
Chapter 32:
Chapter 33:
AN:
Chapter 34:
Chapter 35:
Chapter 36:
Fin
Updates. (Final!)

Chapter 18:

4.4K 241 67
By TALA546

Guess who's back!
     Anyways, fair warning, you knew that I was going to make some spies in class 1-A.... well here they are, but I am making the back stories divert from canon a fair amount so it's semi-au ish, I have nothing against these characters, the characters I made spies were picked basically at random. Oh, and it gets a little bit dark here.... errr, a lot bit.
Not all that sorry,
-T.A.L.A.

Ps. Sorry for the long note, thank you all for your patience in both this and waiting for the update. As well as for those who pointed out a few mistakes I had in earlier chapters- I think I've fixed them. Hopefully.... any a ways, without further ado;

In the end, Deku managed to sprint from the dorms to classroom 1-A with just enough time to launch himself into his seat before the bell rang. Of course all that effort was wasted when the class waited a full three minutes before the home room teacher arrived. But hey, that just means they didn't know he was almost late to class and saved him some trouble... although it's not like he actually had to make a good first impression, Eraserhead already knew him from Present Mics repeated attempts at befriending him and Eri.

Class passed slowly for Izuku and he found himself tuning out more often than not as he had already learned all of this stuff before, instead mentally reciting all the work that was no doubt piling up and counting the sleepless nights he would be having. He was at three weeks no sleep if it concluded within the next five months. That was wishful thinking, of course, but he had faith that his friends would knock out at least a little of the necessary tasks while he was busy and who knows? Maybe he could work something out where he doesn't have to do the homework, without his new peers knowing naturally, so he'd have more time to deal with the immediate issues. Oh! Or maybe he can start dropping 'accidental' hints about having a secret lover or friend or something outside of UA who was against his current situation, but it was out of both their hands... by saying he didn't actually want to be a hero he wouldn't necessarily oust himself from the rest of the class, but it would make him more alluring for the spy. Maybe show some more of his short temper and hav-

"Hey, Hideki, can you believe we weren't told about the sports festival until now? I'm soooo nervous! Like all the other classes have a head start on training already!" A bright pink girl with sharp horns stood in front of his desk grinning, no doubt the lunch bell had just rung.

Izuku quickly covered the unimpressed look he wanted to give her considering the UA sports festival was The most televised and watched event. "It is a bit nerve wracking, I guess... Ashido, right?"

"Yep! You got it! Are you joining us for lunch today, I kow you missed yesterday or at least I didn't see you."

"I have to get Aries first, younger siblings, you know? Never know what their going to get up to."

"Alright see you there then, I really like your guys' hair by the way, super cool!"

"Thanks!" Deku grinned half heartedly at her, "it's okay I guess... I like your hair more though."

Truthfully he preferred her eyes, but, he mentally shrugged, this fit more with his sob story he would have to slowly reveal if the spy didn't come to him soon enough.

Exiting the room shortly after she left, Deku paused in the hall as his phone rang, the consistent feeling of being observed that he had felt since the very beginning when he first stepped foot into the UA in disguise prickly uneasily at the back of his head, he flipped it open and answered. He quickly tapped twice on the speaker as he did so.

"Hello."

"How are you fairing?" Izuku couldn't help but relax just slightly, slumping back against the wall and sliding down it at Jin's familiar voice. He wouldn't admit it, but he already missed the other and his frequent visits... and he was just so tired... "are you sure you still want to do this, I can find a way to pull you out if you really need me to..."

"We both know there's no safe way we can get me out of this as it is, even if you pulled in the rest too..." he sighed in unison with the other, "no matter how much either of us want to change the past, I mean where else can I go?" Izuku quickly pulled the conversation even further so it matched his new story, so he was paranoid, sue him he practically spent all his life gathering info from idiots who let something slip. "It's not like anyone else is going to offer help... I just need to make it through high school and then I'm out."

"'Ki..." Jin began tiredly, knowing it would not be wise saying his nickname then, so instead shortening Hideki some, "....alright, just make sure you visit and raise a little hell while you're at it. And... remember you can always just run if it's too much..."

"I've never ran from anybody in my life, I was part of it too, please. People run from me."

"Hahaha alright see you Saturday then, okay? And not one day later!"

"All Might himself couldn't stop me." Today was Thursday so just one more day and then it would seem he would be visiting them. He slid shut the phone and put it away pulling himself together and beginning to walk down the hallway only to ram into someone as he turned the corner.

"Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry, I wasn't really looking where I was going!"

"No, no, I should have been paying more attention too..."

Hagakure and him both burst into giggles as they stared at each other- or rather not quite at her in Izuku's case. It seemed someone had been listening, he would have heard her approaching footsteps otherwise.

Score 1-0 for his paranoia.

"Well, actually, I was just looking for you, Mina- Ashido, that is- said you were heading back to the dorms and I was hoping I could go with you? If you don't mind?"

"Not at all, if anything you'll be helping me keep from getting lost or something."

"Great! It is a really big campus isn't it? I know I was shocked when I first saw it, but you have to think... what could have all this money been spent on instead, you know? Like I know it's super important to train the next generation of heroes and all and I'm super grateful I get to go here, but... there's like five zillion different training grounds that are mostly the same and that's just.... excessive??? I don't know..."

Deku inwardly grinned. Jackpot, "No, I get what your saying, it's a hero academy- a place for people to learn how to be selfless and help others before themselves- and yet so much money is made by private companies and heroes off of it... it is sort of an ironic thought."

"Yeah, like just a few blocks away the whole area is in shambles from the latest villain attack and I checked, and do you know how much hero corporation and heroes themselves donated to help? Nothing! And most of the damage was done by the hero too, but nooo, they only help when they get something out of it." Hagakure sighed dejectedly.

"You... I'm sorry if this is out of place, but... you sound like you have personal experience there?"  He didn't want to pry into this, but considering the way she was trying to lead his thinking and how she was listening into his conversation...

(An: Like I said fair warning, diverges from canon, but also violent character deaths, YOU CAN SKIP THIS PART, ANOTHER AUTHOR'S NOTE IS AT THE END)

"Well, yeah... uhhh my family has always lived in, well, in a poorer area and... and that was fine! We had each other, what more could you ask, you know? But then there was a villain attack in the middle of the night... and I was so scared, we all were, back then there were six of us; mom, dad, s- and... and my older brother and sister, twins, and my uh, my little sister and, and me of course, but... I... I'm sorry," they were crying somewhat, Deku could tell even if they couldn't actually see, they weren't walking anymore either, just standing by the front door of the dorms, "I- was woken up by my father, the so-called hero had thrown the villain into our apartment building and it- it I... the building was crumbling! We... no o- well no one in my family has- had, exactly physically quirks, it was mostly like mine... so there was nothing any of us could do... I watched my older brother trying to free our sister from the rubble that trapped her leg and and then- then another piece of the ceiling fell. It... they were killed instantly. Crushed by it so much they couldn't even properly separate the upper halves of their bodies anymore since... since it was... they...I'm sorry..."

    (An: end of deaths, only vague mentions from here on)

Izuku pulled her into a hug gently patting her back and whispering soft words to her, he really hoped she didn't turn out to be the spy (but.... he had a horrible, sinking feeling inside. He knew what was coming. Predictable. Why- why was it always so predictable. Deep down he also knew that wasn't the part that bothered him.)

"Hey it's okay, I've got you, it's okay to cry, I've got you. You don't have to continue if you don't want to. You were- you are- so brave. So brave."

"It- it's fine, I ne- I'd like to explain, but I- we were a family of six and now... now there's just three of us... i- I didn't know what to do after that, I had no purpose, but then, I uh, I met someone... it was just last school year actually, so really it's only been about six months... they, they gave me purpose. You see..." they were entering the building now, Hagakure leading the way and he felt like crying himself now... she was well... she wasn't the spy, but he was certain now she was a spy. He hated this.

      Unaware of his carefully hidden inner turmoil she continued, her voice growing strong again, no longer stumbling over words although she still sniffed and wiped at her tear filled eyes, "I found my purpose and I know you can somewhat understand that, you have yours as well; protecting Aries, but I think you can also understand mine. This world as it is now is... is.... it's rotting! Disgusting! Heroes are always preaching about all the good they do, how righteous they are! When really, really, they're just in it for the fame! Or- or for money, or something! And it's not right! We need to change it! We nee-"

"Tōru, you need to calm down, it's okay."

Izuku whirled to face the newest member. They stood proudly just a few steps away from them in front of the still open door- clearly blocking his exit. Yaoyorozu.

"Oh, hello, I didn't know you were with us...." That actually was bugging him. He hadn't known. How had she escaped his notice, there were trained assassins who still struggled to go unnoticed around him. It was... worrisome. He would need to be more careful.

She smiled, "I took a different route... I must say you have an impressive record."

He feigned mild defensiveness alongside poorly disguised pride and shock, he knew exactly what she was talking about, "What about it?"

"You were expelled from two different schools before dropping and are part of a small time gang, how on earth did you end up here?"

"Look." He growled the words out as if they were physically painful for him to say, "I don't really want to go here, I have no high aspirations and I don't really want to be a hero- I'm not cut out for that- I'm going here because it was the best option for Aries. I've been trying to get along and not challenge any of your beliefs or whatever, but Christ! Who do you think you are digging through my records? You're not even licensed yet, where is this ego coming from!"

"You agree with us then, that heroes have no right to be doing what the do, that society needs to change."

"I'm not saying anything to you, I'm doing whatever I have to to protect my sister. And that's all I'm going to say." He paused to take a deep breath and headed towards the stairs, "Excuse me."

Hagakure stepped in his way, "Sorry, Hideki."

"Then we can help you, you know who I am, who my family is, our association doesn't just have people in low places, I can guarantee you that if you join us we can make sure you're sister goes through college and lands a good job that she'll enjoy... so? How about it? Just hear us out and I'm willing to pull a few strings even if you don't agree to join in the end...." she left the offer hanging temptingly in the air and Hideki paused some of the tension draining from his shoulders.

"She's not just saying things, they are helping my little sis and mom too. You can trust them, you can trust us, it's like having extended family where we all look out for each other- the broken pieces and those that can't fit elsewhere."

"I- wha.... Can I think about your offer?" Hesitance was important here, but just the shocked and exposed you've-seen-straight-through-me kind not actual doubt or nervousness. A bit of wistfulness and hope and...

      Yaoyorozu smiled warmly down at him and slowly approached, "Of course. I can understand how hard the choice can be, come find me when you make your decision." Yaoyorozu patted his shoulder comfortingly. "See you at class, yeah?"

"Yeah." He smiled a watery smile that mixed hope and the just the right amount of awe with the tiniest hint of relief - relief as if a burden had been removed from his shoulders, "I'm... well, uh I'm glad I'm not as alone here as I thought. It's honestly kind of horrifying to hear them go on and on acting as if they are the law... as if they can do no wrong."

"Awww! Thanks Hideki! I get how you feel exactly, but you have us now." He caught Hagakure easily as she leapt at him, giving him a tight hug. Off to the side Yaoyorozu sighed giving them both a happy look.

It would seem he had found them and damnit he hated this mission. He. Hated. It. ... and it was tearing him apart piece by painful piece.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

858K 35K 130
Izuku Midoriya had always been interested in Quirks. He loved studying them and discussing them with his father. It was due to this interest in Quirk...
254K 3.8K 35
Izuku Midoriya... Some knew him as a nice boy, most knew him as a quirkless nothing living a dream-namely, Katsuki Bakugo. The doctors told young Izu...
59.9K 2K 22
Izuku Midoriya was a boy that grew up without a quirk, unlike the people around him. That didn't stop him from aspiring to be a hero. When All Might...
106K 4.9K 75
Izuku Midoriya is a quirkless teenager that wants to become a hero. A pathetic dream, right? That's exactly what he was forced to think by others, an...