Snow White and Seven Devils (...

By xxtypicalscorpianxx

After being away from her home for seven years, Allyson White is back. But nothing is the same anymore; her f... More

Introduction
Preface
(1) Homecoming
(3) Perceptions
(4) He's the main actor
(5) The one with the scowl
(6) A collection of strange people
(7) Running in circles and walking on winding roads
(8) We keep colliding
(9) Date of tears and blood
(10) Liars, thugs and all things wild
(11) The word war
(12) Join the club
(13) Collisions
(14) Waist deep in trouble
(15) Worst First Day
(16) Kind of, sort of
(17) Trevor Jackson
(18) Anderson and Jackson
(19) Fall a little
(20) Hand
(21) Downhill
(22) Last and Lost love
(23) Staggering
(24) The hole in the road
Special Chapter: The boy with the scowl
(25) On the same road
(26) Anonymous D
(27) Marley Carson
(28) Letting, leaving
(29) Friend [FINAL]
SEQUEL

(2) Out of Awkward

6.2K 271 37
By xxtypicalscorpianxx

2.

When I met Dale Cattermole, he looked innocent enough. Dale wasn't innocent; it would be an insult to the word to call him that. The Cattermole's had just moved next to the house and I met him in school. It wasn't a pretty experience, in fact I won't bother calling it an experience at all.

He broke my favorite pencil, tripped me when I was walking back to the gate where my parents were suppose to fetch me, dropped red paint on my new shoes and cut the hem of my frilly frock with a scissor. In conclusion; Dale Cattermole was born a devil.

Dale Cattermole was a lot of other things, a complexity and an enigma that I could never exactly figure out. Yes he was stupid and annoying but he was also nice and thoughtful, a person who couldn't bear to see anyone in pain. He was the same guy who kicked Robby Milan when Robby pushed me during our play, he carried my bags for me when we entered primary school and I injured my shoulder, he shared his lunch with me when Daniel accidentally knocked mine.

In summary, I had never been able to know exactly what I felt for him. I had never been able to like him completely, I had never been able to hate him completely either. And now after I was recovering from the sudden overwhelming sensation of seeing him all grown up, I couldn't help but wonder about that shocked expression on his face.

Last night we didn't get to talk much, we just greeted each other and he asked some things about New York, though I couldn't find any genuine interest in his voice. His voice...it was different now, just like the rest of him, it wasn't as high pitched and thin as I remembered. Mrs. Cattermole spoke while I ate bits of food. How could I eat when there was a guy ogling at me like I had grown a third eye on my forehead?

''Did you like it!'' I jumped at mom's voice and turned towards the door abruptly, feeling my cheeks grow hot as if I had been doing something wrong.

''You scared me.'' I put a hand on my heart dramatically,

''So, did you like it or not?'' She leaned against the wall and motioned towards the shelves lining the walls. A big grin spread on my face and I nodded, a little too fiercely,

''I love it, I still can't believe you kept this safe.'' The room was like heaven, it smelled of paper and everywhere I looked, there were just books. And mom had done good work at keeping it clean and shiny, there wasn't dust on the books or the wood, and the tiles were spotless as well. Now she had handed the duty to me and I had taken it gladly. Even though it was my second day here, I had started helping in lot of things, except cooking, I was a terrible cook. I had never mind doing house work and there was still time for school to start, so it would keep me busy until then.

''Here, let me show you something,'' she walked towards the desk that sat beside the window and opened the first drawer, pulling out a glass jar. On closer inspection I saw a hole in its surface and a piece of paper glued to the glass, it was sharpie-d with ''Book Bank''.

''What is this?'' I asked taking the jar from her hand,

''It's a thing I did a few months back, I threw in a little bit of money almost daily and didn't touch it until the end of the month. So after each month I had enough savings to go book shopping!'' I smiled; the idea was really good, especially for an addict like me.

''That's really smart,'' I replied, ''I like this method, lets keep this here.'' I set it in the middle of the desk and beamed back at her.

''It was actually Carmen's idea, I kept complaining how I was wasting too much money in bookstores so she said that it was up to me to restrict myself.''

''It was intelligent of me, right?'' Carmen jogged down the stairs and joined us; she had been helping me a lot with unpacking my stuff. Since there were still two weeks until school neither her nor Daniel were busy with anything.

''Yep, no doubt in that.'' Mom smiled at Carmen warmly and somehow I was glad that my mother liked my friends. With Daniel it was different case, Carmen wasn't her best friend's daughter. But thanks to her connection with Daniel, Carmen and mom had been in touch and they got along well.

''I'll be going now, Ally be ready by seven okay? Carmen will you bring your parents?''

Carmen shook her head and made an annoyed expression, ''I forgot to tell you but both of them have gone at my long lost cousin who's getting married. But Flynn will be there, he's not leaving for college until few days.'' Mom nodded and the next moment she was gone.

She had arranged a sort of get together party for me this evening. I wasn't really keen for it but I was afraid of saying no to mom, I didn't want her to think I had become a brat. Thankfully it wasn't anything grand, just dinner with some closest people; including us, the Cattermole's and Carmen and her family.

''Flynn is coming? I haven't seen him in ages.'' Flynn was Carmen's older brother and I was every fond on him. Unlike guys of his age, Flynn didn't act snobbish. He was one of the most gentle and good-natured person I've met. He was a sort of boy you can never hope to have a fight with because he always ended up being a peacemaker. You can call him million of names, make fun of him, insult him but he never lost his cool which to me was a very impressive trait.

''Yeah, he's very eager to see you.'' Carmen replied, bored. She was staring at the shelves like she was sitting in an exam room and her test was to read every single book that was present here.

''This place gives me creeps.''  

I rolled me eyes, ''I don't remember you being afraid of books. Did you develop a new phobia?''

''You're making phobia sound like some sort of virus. No, I'm not afraid of books but it scares me to think that someone can read this much.''

''It's fine really. I get that all the time.''

Carmen began counting the money that was stored in the jar and giving me ideas on how to spend it. None of that worked though; according to Carmen I should buy myself pretty dresses instead of books, so I can make a dramatic comeback at school. I had no intention to do that though, it would be financial suicide.

''School? Do you think there'll be familiar faces in our sixth form?'' I asked while dusting other shelves,

''Yep, most of the people are going to Spence Jefferson, lets hope we don't get snobs and bitches, I don't want my next two years getting ruined by some platinum blonde calling reminding me of my weight every single day.''

''Don't worry, if anyone dares to do that, I'll handle them.'' Carmen looked back at me for a moment, like she didn't really believe I will stick up for her. It was true though. I was usually a clam person, but there was one thing I couldn't handle - seeing people bullied for their looks and personality. And I was quite fierce when it came to that.

''So, what'll you wear tonight?'' I asked her, changing the subject,

''I can't wear a dress; I'll look like a cow. So I'll go with my blue collared shirt and jeans.''

''Nobody will care how you look Carmen. If you like a dress and then go ahead and wear it.''

''Daniel will care.'' I heard her mutter,

''And why would he? Daniel's not judgmental.'' I argued back,

''because, because-'' She spluttered but suddenly closed her mouth, like she didn't want to talk about it, or precisely didn't want to talk about it with me.

I gave her a doubtful look, ''Has he really changed though? I mean he did go from blonde to black. It was a bit surprising really.''

''I know right. I'm not sure why he did that though. Black is so not his color. Not that you and me are judgmental here...'' she trailed off because we started laughing at the exact moment, not caring for a second that how hypercritical we were being. If only Daniel knew that I and Carmen had spent half an hour of the afternoon discussing his hair.

*       *             *               *

''You look nice.'' It was the first thing mom said when I walked down the stairs that evening. Mrs. Cattermole had gifted me a dress for the get-together which I was really grateful for and felt very embarrassed to accept. It was a light pink knee, long sleeved knee length dress with several flowers on the right shoulder. Mom had insisted on applying some make up on me and I let her do it. She knew me too well and kept it as light as possible. It was Carmen who lent me heels; I never wore heels in New York.

''Thanks, you're looking good as well.'' I replied with a smile.

''C'mon everyone is waiting for you.'' I took a deep breath, feeling like I was walking to meet Queen Elizabeth, instead of people who I had known a long time ago.

We had put a few tables together to make room from everyone and also adorned the fences and trees with lights and stuff. According to me, this was a waste of time. When I left from New York, I never imagined there would be a homecoming dinner for me. But everyone here was out of my expectations and every time they showed warmness, I felt guilty and ashamed for thinking so negatively.

Everyone was there, except Dale. I concluded he had developed a habit of being late for everything. I greeted everyone and hugged Flynn who was sat beside Carmen and looking very handsome in his pressed white shirt and black pants, his coat hung on the chair.

It was hard to say he had changed, he looked exactly like Carmen - he had same ginger hair and big warm eyes. Though he was definitely taller now.

I sat between Flynn and Daniel.

''Ally, I must say you look pretty, how're you finding it so far.'' Flynn asked when the adults got engaged in their own conversation.

''Um everything is really nice. How is college?''

''Hectic, do you still read?'' It felt nice to know that Flynn remembered stuff about me,

''Yeah, she eats books for breakfast, cooks books for lunch, digest books for dinner, you can imagine how much of a worm she is.'' I punched Daniel's arm,

''You're exaggerating.'' It earned a chuckle from Flynn,

''Where's Dale?'' Carmen asked Daniel, ''how much time he needs dressing up really? It's not we're meeting Johnny Depp here.''

''All the time in the world is less.'' I heard a familiar smooth voice and felt someone was standing right behind me. I had to turn in my seat to look at Dale. Look wasn't the right word, I wasn't looking, and I was staring.

He was wearing jeans with a grey shirt and a black jacket, with his blonde hair styled back with jell. Dale looked like he had always looked - gorgeous. His eyes found mine, he didn't stare at me, and he didn't look surprised like he had been yesterday. He winked, and I felt relief spreading through me. All I could think was this; that's so like Dale.

''Finished already?'' Daniel piped in, ''I thought you would spend the next two hours in a beauty parlor.''

Dale ignored his brother and sat on the chair next to Carmen, and then turned to me ''Are you sure you're Allyson White. THE Allyson White? THE Allyson White with big round cheeks and no chin?''

Carmen smacked his arm and I tried not to feel defensive. This was Dale - I had grown up while listening to his shortcomings about myself.

''Really Dale? I thought you would've grown up by this time.'' He raised a brow and Daniel snorted, plying with his glass,

''I am grown up and I did it quite nicely in fact.''

''You're same as ever.'' I replied with a laugh.

''Can't say the same for you.''

''I am surprised that you two kids are not fighting at all,'' Mr. Cattermole piped in, giving us an amused look, ''I was worrying with no reason.''

''That's because they just met dear. You should know how your son is.'' Mrs. Cattermole said and winked at me.

''Mom'' Dale's groan was followed by mom brining desert which was absolutely delicious. I had been such a ling while since I had ate mom's food. When she had enough time she liked to cook and did it quite nicely. I on the other hand was repulsive when it came to kitchen work. I had tried to bake a cake plenty of times back in New York - my cake always ended up looking disgustingly like some sort of chocolate stew. It never ceases to horrify dad.

''How's Addison?'' I asked Dale after a while when Carmen and Flynn got engaged in a debate about apartheid in South Africa.

''Fine I guess, ever since she started college she's gotten more arrogant.''

''So you guys are not so close anymore?''

He grimaced, ''I don't remember us ever being closed. Did you left your memory back home Caterpillar?''

I scowled, ''Í thought that nick-name ended a long time ago.''

He shrugged carelessly, ''Nothing ended a long time ago Caterpillar.'' He said while playing with his food. I could only stare at him. What did he meant by that? Did it even had a meaning or was I just astonished to hear Dale talk like this?

''What does that mean?''

''I was just saying jeez. Aren't you a bit too skeptic now?''

''See, they are fighting now.'' I heard Flynn say and rolled my eyes. It was hard not to argue with Dale Cattermole, he had that effect on me - to appear annoying and intimidating at the same time. AT least, I was spared from the awkwardness I had been expecting otherwise.

''Did you go around the town yet?'' Flynn asked me,

''No. But I will go out tomorrow.'' I had already made plans with Carmen and Daniel for tomorrow and mom had already said that I can do what I like since we have time till school starts.

''Do you want to join us?'' I asked Flynn but Carmen answered for him,

''Flynn has to do some work for his college; he won't be able to come. He's a total nerd now.''

''Dale?'' Dale looked up like he hadn't been expecting me to ask him as well.

''Sure'' He replied with a grin and it made me smile for no reason whatsoever.

*                    *                    *                       

Note: Guys, I hope you are enjoying this version better! Anyways, I just wanted to ask you guys to point out any typos you see! It would be awesome. Plus, I am not British, so except Allyson please point out anyone speaking in a non-British way. I know it is weird to change the setting from California to London, but this worked better.

Keep reading for more interesting chapter! (And into of my fav devil)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 72.3K 45
"I don't do relationships,I don't love Miss Williams ..I just fu**...is that what you want from me so that you stop following me?" His straightforwar...
56K 2K 24
Allyson Reed shapes her life to make her parents proud, but whenever she's with Daxson Winters, the star wide receiver with a troubled past, her perf...
150K 11K 43
Shit. That's how Derrick's life was going after the accident. Hazy memories and scars he didn't need were splintering what was left of what he did re...