Possession: A Luka Clemence X...

By acuphoria

What seems to be a quiet, relaxing month in a Wonderland fairy tale turns upside down the moment your enemy o... More

1: Unrest in Cradle
2: The House in the Forest
4: Hiding Behind Those Eyes
5: Stubborn
6: Call to Arms
7: An Innocent Envy
8: The Last Time I'll See You
9: Suspicion
10: Ravage
11: As Black as Night
12: Frenzy
13: Intent
14: Losing Grip
15: You're Mine and Only Mine
16: Culprit
17: Countdown Pt.1
18: Countdown Pt.2
19: A Handful of Broken Pieces
20: Possession
21: The Sound of You
21.5: Us

3: Intruder

402 18 11
By acuphoria

I shouldn't have even been nervous about moving to the new house.

It was going on hour 3 of Blanc and I sitting at the dining table, talking about all sorts of subjects as we sipped tea and finished off the entire cheesecake. We reminisced as if we were old friends, talking about the history of Cradle, the politics, hidden places I had to travel to, and even certain recipes that this fairytale wonderland was known for. Who knew pistachio scones were one of their specialties.

The ornate grandfather clock that ticked back and forth in the corner of the room began to chime, inturrupting our chatter. It signalled midnight. Blanc took out his pocket watch to verify the time.

"Wow, it really is midnight." He pushed his glasses up a little more on his nose.

I suddenly felt a wave of fatigue hit me and instinctively yawned.

"Oh dear Kelly, you should be going to bed." The White Rabbit noticed my yawn and frowned. I was about to protest, but he stood up casually before I could. "Besides, I have some errands to run with Oliver tomorrow morning. So I best be getting to bed myself."

I decided not to push the subject of staying up further. I stood up from my chair and helped him collect the plates.

"I agree.. it is getting late. But..." I looked around for a moment.

"Where is Oliver? I haven't seen him at all tonight.."

Blanc continued collecting the plates. He shrugged mildly. "He's probably still working in his study. He tends to focus better at night."

I nodded and collected the tea kettle, following my friend into the kitchen. After setting our tableware down in the sink, I opened the fridge. I noticed a sandwich that was wrapped up..

"Uh, Blanc?"

The White Rabbit had been babbling on about how the house would be much more lively now that they had company. He was beaming joyfully.

"Ah, yes?"

I picked up the sandwich.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. But I know Luka hasn't eaten and.."

"Our food is your food. Go ahead. Take a thermos with tea in it for him also." Blanc smiled and went to fetch a thermos for the leftover tea. I smiled gratefully. I could only guess how tired Luka was by now, running rounds all night so far.

The two of us said our goodnights, and I put on my shoes and stepped out into the dark night with food in hand. I lived in a more secluded area now, with less streetlights, so the stars shone brightly overhead.

I looked around and caught sight of Luka sitting against a tree, his sword and scabbard leaning against his shoulder. As I approached, I noticed something.

He was sleeping...

His long lashes rested against his cheeks, and his face was comfortable and innocent. I felt bad that I had to wake him. "Luka..." I kneeled down beside my sleeping security guard and placed the plate and thermos beside me. The Jack didn't stir a single bit.

"Luka, hey.." I placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and shook him lightly. He stirred, and his eyes opened sleepily.

"Hmm..?"

"I...wondered if maybe you were hungry..."

His eyes looked up at me in naive confusion, then spotted the food.

"That looks...good.." Luka rubbed his eyes. I smiled and held the food out to him.

"You've worked hard today. Please eat."

Each bite he took of his sandwich was followed by silence. Despite feeling slightly closer to Luka now that we were spending more time around eachother, I really hadn't gotten to know him at all yet. As he ate, he remained as quiet as ever. I started to feel a little awkward, but he seemed not to care at all.

While I was wracking my brain for what to say next, he finished sipping his thermos full of tea and beat me to the punch.

"Thank you for the food, but you should get some rest..."

I swallowed.

"Will you be out here all night?"

He took another bite and set the last half of his sandwich down on his plate. "Most likely. But I'm used to it." Luka shrugged. I could tell it was just another part of the job for him. I frowned, wishing there was something I could do so he didn't have to be out here all night. But I knew it was all for not. I just hoped he would be able to get rest by morning.

"Please just...don't work too hard." I stood up and picked up the thermos to take inside.

"I'm not sure why you're worried. This is all part of being a lieutenant.."

I began squeezing the canteen in my hands. "Well, you're my friend. Of course I want you to sleep well and eat well. Seeing my friends stress makes me sad..." I spoke the truth, but felt shy about it. I blushed a little and averted my gaze to my hands.

"I-I...well..."

Luka began to stutter. I looked up for just a moment, to see he too was nervously looking away. I swore I saw his cheeks starting to blush also. It was cute to watch.

"It's alright. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I could tell he was growing uncomfortable, so I turned around to take my leave. I gave a soft wave.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Be careful Luka."

With that, I sauntered inside. A thought crossed my mind that I wanted to turn back and look at him...but I forced myself not to.

-------------

I was running. Running as fast as my legs would take me. Through the trees, jumping over logs and rocks. I was panting breathlessly. It was as if my whole life depended on me getting there. If I wasn't there soon...
I wiped tears from my eyes.

"I have to protect him."

BAANNG!

I gasped as my heart shot into my throat. I sat up fast, throwing my covers from my bed.

My room was dark and still in the night. I looked around then settled my eyes on my window. Rain was crashing against the glass, and lightning was erupting in bright flashes, engulfing my room then dissipating.

I was covered in sweat.

"Gaahhhh..." I groaned. I took deep breaths to calm my racing heartbeat and rubbed my eyes tiredly. What was that nightmare anyway?

By the time I woke up a little, I had already forgotten the details of what I had dreamt. The thunder outside was so loud, I was now wide awake. I decided getting some water might help me calm down. Maybe then I could get some rest. 

Quietly, I put a sweater over my nightgown and stepped out into the hallway in bare feet. I could see only a little as the ambient crystals placed in their holders on the walls illuminated an eerie glow. The rain was pounding hard against the house; I started to feel a little uneasy.
Once I found the staircase, I clutched the handrail and took careful steps down the stairs. Every crash of thunder made me more and more nervous. This was a big house, and the darkness in such an unfamiliar place rose a fear in me I didn't know I had. It was really dark... Too dark.

A quiet creak from one of the rooms surprised me. I gasped and looked around. I saw nothing.
One of the magic crystals on the wall then suddenly flickered and I jumped. I looked up. Anxiety shot through me. After a moment, I realised it was nothing and let out a ragged breath. I really needed to simmer down..
"Come on Kell, you're scaring yourself for nothing..." I whispered to myself, taking another deep breath to try and ease my nerves. I was already halfway down the stairs. I could do this.

Then, another creak.

This one was much closer. I stepped down once more and noticed a looming darkness at the end of the steps. It was pitch black, and formed the shape of...a human?

My blood ran ice cold. I couldn't see a single feature on his face. He was a taller man, completely shrouded in shadows, just standing unmoving at the end of the staircase.

"H-hello?" I was so scared, my tone was weak and quiet. I felt rooted to the spot.

The man didn't respond. Instead, he put a hand on the railing and took a step up towards me. Instantly, I panicked. I screamed so loud, I slipped on the steps and fell back.

.......

In a sudden flurry, I was laying on the staircase. But for having fallen on wooden stairs, I didn't feel a single ache or pain...

I hesitantly opened my eyes. Laying ontop of me, and supporting my head from the back, was a pale skinned man with dark, slicked back hair. His grey eyes and sharp features were scowling at me.

"You really are an idiot. Are you hurt anywhere?"The man sighed in annoyance. I was caught so offguard, I didn't even know what to say. His face was so close to mine, my heart raced and tied up my thoughts. I was completely tongue-tied. 

His stare refused to leave my gaze. He waited for an answer, but when I hesitated, he rolled his eyes. "Think before you freak out like that next time." He removed his hands from around me and began to stand.

tmp tmp tmp tmp tmp tmp

Quick and light steps echoed through the hall and slid to a stop infront of the stairs. Luka suddenly appeared, panting heavily, with his sword in his hands infront of him. He was ready to take on my attacker in a millisecond.

But once he registered the scene infront of him, with an unknown man on all fours overtop of me, he paused dramatically. His expression changed from the hero of a possible deadly onsalught, to that of a confused, suspicious friend. My face instantly lit up like a candle.

"U-Umm..." Was all the Jack of Spades could muster as he looked away with rosey cheeks. I registered just how awkward and intimate the scene I was involved in looked. I swallowed as I turned back to the man ontop of me.

"G-Get off of mee! Just who are you anyway!??" I was so embarrased, the tone of my voice had risen two decibels higher. I was a squeaky, flustered mess.

"You don't even know who I am!? You truly are hopeless, Alice." The man pushed himself up to stand, brushing off his perfect, green suit. He sighed loudly. 

I jumped to my feet, pulling my sweater around my tighter. I was becoming less of a human, and more of a tomatoe by the second.

"H-Hopeless!? You attacked me!"

"I SAVED you! There's a difference!"

We exchanged flustered, angry stares. Another set of quick steps could be heard coming across the second floor hallway and, all of a sudden, Blanc was standing at the top of the stairs, panting.

"Just WHAT is going on!?"

He was just as panicked as Luka had been. But as soon as he noticed the man across from me, his features softened in relief. "Oliver..."

I paused for only a second, before I turned and gaped at the man.

"O-Oliver!?"

--------------------------------------------

Luka and I were the last to funnel into the kitchen. Just as I entered, I felt his presence abnormally close to my right ear. My heartbeat began to thump louder; I swallowed hard and tried to breathe deeply for fear he would hear it.

"Are you alright? That could have been a bad fall.." Once he spoke, I registered that he was leaning over me, his lips next to my ear. I instantly clenched my fists tightly. Calm down, just calm down.

I jerked my head slightly in his direction,  and my shoulders tensed. 

"I-I'm fine.. Oliver was in the right p-place at the right time.." I trailed off as I turned to glance back at Luka. Our eyes met, and for a second I swore I felt a bolt of electricity run through me. 

"Can we hurry up and talk this out? I have work to do." Oliver's sharp voice shattered the tension between us. We both turned away from eachother instantly.

Once the two of us were sitting, we all began sipping coffee and tea. It was nearing 4am, meaning many of us had hardly gotten any sleep at all. The confusion that surrounded Oliver, and how he was magically an adult now, confounded time, space, and logic in my mind. I had pressed for this meeting so I didn't have another freakout tomorrow night if I saw an adult looming in the hallway at whatever hour of the night.

"Oliver, you might as well go ahead.." Blanc opened up the conversation, smiling uncomfortably.

Oliver sighed loudly, before taking another large sip of his coffee.

"I can't explain it. From the hours of midnight till 6am, I'm an adult. From 6am till 11:59pm, I'm a child. That's it."

I sat dumbfounded at the table, my mouth agape in surprise.

"It's always been like this. I had meant to mention it to you, Kelly, but I didn't want to overwhelm you on you're first day here.." Blanc chimed in. He glanced over at Luka, who seemed to be fighting off sleep.

"I am sorry we caused you such a scare on you're first day here, Luka."

The Jack of Spades looked over with tired eyes. He simply nodded.

"It's all part of the job. I'm tasked to defend her at all costs."

Why was it that every time he spoke about protecting me, my cheeks instantly flushed? I looked around the room, avoiding the gazes of the handsome men around the table with me; trying to keep them from noticing.

Oliver pushed his chair out and stood.

"Now if we all understand, I'd like to go." He wasn't even polite. Oliver simply threw back the rest of his coffee, then placed his cup in the sink. Blanc and I stood as well. But Luka didn't..

"Luka?"

He blinked his eyes open and glanced up at me. He had such beautiful features, his gaze actually made my breath hitch for the first time ever. I tried my best to pass it off like it didn't happen.

"You should really get some sleep.."

"Someone will come to relieve me at 6am." He didn't seem to want to stand, but he did anyway. Without delay, he picked up both my cup and his, then walked around the table to place them in the sink.

"But..Luka..." I worried if it was dangerous for him to be outside, watching for threats, while being so exhausted. He began towards the kitchen door just as Oliver and Blanc dissapeared into the hallway. For another brief moment, I met gazes with the Jack of Spades. His face broke into a reserved smile.

"You need rest more than I do. Sleep well." 

I felt rooted to the spot yet again. I watched his back as it retreated out of the kitchen.

(I'm having a great time writing this story so far! Getting to include Oliver and Blanc has been refreshing. We are also already starting to see Luka's overworking side of his personality. As well as his mostly clueless one! ; p 
Stay tuned for the next chapter! More new characters are coming!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 149 21
My requests are open! I will do anything! This story will contain: Fluff and angst. Please do not hesitate to give me requests! I hope you enjoy!
1.2K 75 33
BOOK 1 OF HENRIETTA TRILOGY. TO BE EDITED. *** I was a young boy who wished nothing but to be loved. But one day, as I was reminiscing a memory of my...
24.1K 519 22
❝ 𝐴 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝑟𝑜𝑠𝑒, 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑠 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑡 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒. ❞ Anna read out loud, while I was staring at the flower that Lord Tewksbury gave...
4.7K 203 7
You've been assigned as Loki's handler and things have been going very well. Almost too well, actually...you find out that Loki has fallen for you an...