Metanoia: A Change of Heart

By StellaShimmers

Love--was it something real from the heart? Or it was no more than series of chemical reactions in the brain... More

Metanoia
Prologue
~ L ~
Chapter I ~ Joshua
Chapter II ~ Joshua
Chapter III ~ Joshua
Chapter IV ~ Joshua
Chapter V ~ Joshua
Chapter VI ~ Joshua
Chapter VII ~ Joshua
Chapter VIII ~ Joshua
~ O ~
Chapter IX ~ Joshua
Chapter XI ~ Joshua
Chapter XII ~ Joshua
Chapter XIII ~ Joshua
Chapter XIV ~Thonia
Chapter XV~ Joshua
Chapter XVI ~ Joshua
Chapter XVII~ Thonia
Chapter XVIII~ Joshua
Chapter XIX ~ Thonia
Chapter XX ~ Thonia
Chapter XXI ~ Joshua
~ V ~
Chapter XXII ~ Joshua
Chapter XXIII~ Thonia
Chapter XXIV ~ Joshua
Chapter XXV ~ Thonia
Chapter XXVI ~ Joshua
Chapter XXVII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXVIII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXIX ˜ Thonia
Chapter XXX ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXI ~Thonia
Chapter XXXII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXIII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXIV ~ Thonia
~ E ~
Chapter XXXV ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXVI ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXVII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXVIII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXIX ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXX ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXI ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXIII ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXIV ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXV ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXVI ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXVII ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXVIII ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXIX ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXX ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXXI ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXXII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXXIII ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXXIV ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXXV ~ Joshua
Chapter XXXXXVI ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXXVII ~ Thonia
Chapter XXXXXVIII ~ Thonia
Acknowledgements

Chapter X ~ Joshua

85 5 1
By StellaShimmers

Since I wouldn't have any company this afternoon, I planned to have a time alone. Love Cup, the nearby coffee shop, had the perfect air condition, ambience, and drinks. I sat on one of the tables for two with comfy seats and dim lighting. My phone wasn't used so I had full battery to play an online game with, thanks to the 3G connection of my phone paid by my mother's credit card and thanks to my ATM allowance from my parents' "considerate hardwork" I had budget to order a cake, mousse and frappé.

My game was interrupted by a text message. To my surprise, it was my mother.

Josh, we won't be home tonight. Call us when you get this.

I drank my frappe and called her. "Mom," I said after the call was answered.

"Hey, Josh. Are you home?" she said.

I wiped my eyes. When was the last time she asked that? When was the last time she showed that she cared? I managed a day, week, month, without talking to them. But as moments passed, it felt wrong. In the end of the day, I needed them.

"Son?"

"No," I said. "I'm going home."

"So, you're not yet home." I heard her light laugh. Same voice that had sung me lullabies. May inherited it, although I was irritated by her loud songs some mornings in the shower.

"I'm doing homework in a coffee shop."

"With your girlfriend, huh? Let me meet her someday." Dad's voice sounded in the background; teased me like before.

"When did you have a girlfriend?!" Mom showed her surprise that made me smile.

"I'm alone, mom."

She sighed, not believing me. "Josh, the plane's here. Well, just wanted you to know that we won't be home until Sunday evening. Take care of your little sister, okay? And the housekeeper will visit twice a day to bring you food."

"Where are you going?" I asked. A weekend alone with my sister did not sound so exciting.

"We have a business meeting. Sorry, this came up suddenly."

"It's fine." We were used to it.

"May will be home late. Check on her, text her."

"Why? Until what time?"

"I don't know. She said she'll have to go with her friends." She said, hurriedly. "Bye, honey. We have to go. See you. We'll miss you and May," she paused, I thought she hung up when she added "I love you. That's from me and your father." I nodded although she couldn't see me. "Bye." The call went off. I took a deep breath and finish my food.

It was nearly sunset when I went home. What a lonely day without my friends after school and no one at home. I went straight to my room. Without changing, I jumped on my bed and opened the book on my bedside table.

After Darkness by Dayne Rade

Have you ever experienced being away from the light? When darkness seemed to take over your world?

After reading a chapter and two, I shifted and felt a hard thing in my pocket. I checked what it was and brought out the stick. Let this be the final, please.

True love is inevitable.

Unavoidable.

Why did these quotes bothered me so much. At some point I found it silly, like I was going nuts and crazy. At one point I thought maybe it was destiny. I did not believe in those things, but what if, just what if, life is more than just choices.

My phone rang. A message from my mother: We touched down. Where's May? Are you home? Eat with your sister.

I planned to reply later, I first wanted to go to the bathroom of my bedroom to wash my stress out. I yawned and about to unzip my pants but I was startled to see the person I least expected to see in my bathroom.

I turned away and looked at the ceiling. "What the hell are you doing here?"

It was Thonia Buenviaje. She was as stunned as I was. "I was going to ask you the same question!"

I took a breath and ask, "Are you done?"

"Uhh... yes!" She fiercely replied. Wow, she is in my house alright, for a reason I did not know, so she should not act like that!

"Can I turn back?"

"Yes," she assured.

I turned slowly. I threw a nod at her. "Why are you here?"

"Oh my gosh," May burst the door of her room open. "Sorry, Thonia, I forgot to tell you to lock my brother's room door. I'm so sorry. What happened?" May studied her. She is my sister! Why did it look like she's on her side?

"I'm fine, May. It's fine." Thonia nodded.

"How did you know each other? Why is she here?" I knitted my brows.

May beamed at me. "I joined the Music Guild, brother."

"Music Guild?" Ohh, the club. "I thought you went out."

May pouted. "Well, we were supposed to do the meeting outside, but since mom and dad won't be here, I suggested we do it here, instead."

"Did mom know about this?" A couple more girls peeked in the door. One was a girl from my batch, Liza and the other one was May's friend.

"Yeah. I texted her just now."

I raked my hair and looked at Thonia. "I─ I swear I didn't see anything." It was true, my eyes had impulsively turned away while she was doing her thing on the toilet.

She stared at me with her dagger look but nodded. I turned back and remembered what my mother had told me. I added, "Did you eat, May?"

"That was what I was about to tell you. Can you please call the pizza delivery? I am not good with phone-talky."

Thonia was already inside May's room with their clubmates, holding a clearfile full of bond papers. "Okay, but please tell me next time if you're bringing someone home."

"I did! Check your phone."

I checked my phone and saw two messages from her that weren't there the last time I checked. "It wasn't early enough."

May frowned. "Sorry."

"I'll call now." I walked back in my room.

"Pepperoni, please, Josh!"

I nodded and went to Dad's office to use the telephone. The door to the library was open, but the door to the basement was closed. I used the key under the vase on one shelf. The stairs was steep. I searched for the switch then bright lights welcomed me. The office was divided into two. The far end was color white where testing tables and fridges with vials were displayed, beside them were boxes of medicines and pharmaceuticals. More like any Chemistry laboratory rather than a home office. The other half near the door entrance was like an ordinary office with two desks, desktop computers, and printers. The telephone was on the left side desk, my mother's desk. I dialed and ordered Pepperoni pizza with mojos and softdrinks. My stomach gurgled as I ordered. Did not noticed I was hungry until now.

I went back to my room to get the book I was reading and went down again to wait for the delivery. I wasn't reading a lot, but I was a fast reader. Interrupting my reading, Fredd texted me: Bro, we're having blast! Please go here if you can. No wonder if he already kissed Mary or if they were girlfriend-boyfriend already. I did not reply.

The door bell rang then I signed the bill and paid the deliveryman who wore red and black uniform. The smell massaged my nostrils. I separated two slices of pizza and some mojos for myself and took a bite. This was my father's favorite, I remembered as I savored the taste.

I left my phone and book on the dining table and went up, holding the box of pizza in one hand, the bottle of softdrinks in another to give to my sister. I was about to knock when I heard Thonia sang. It was weird how I noticed it was her. No hiding, she had a beautiful voice. Indeed appearances could be very deceitful. How could an angelic voice belong to someone like her?

I leaned closer to the door to appreciate the sound. It abruptly stopped and the door suddenly opened. I nearly fell face-first. "Joshua," Thonia blinked as I regained my balance.

"Uhm," I saw May laughing. "Here," I handed her the box and bottle. Thonia chuckled and whispered, "Thanks, Mister Delivery-guy." I went out and closed the door. That was slightly embarrassing being caught eavesdropping your sister and her friends.

By nine o'clock, it became eerie quiet. I guess some of them left and some stayed. I wondered if Thonia was still there. Gaa! This night turned out crazy. A total disaster. What made it worst was that my sister, my dearly sister was a witness as they happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.8K 1.9K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
3.4K 144 24
"I don't know, Gracie. That's the point. I don't know why I'm willing to feel how much you broke my f*cking heart every minute we're together just so...
90.9K 7.4K 79
[Featured by wattpad romance, teen fiction, young adult and psychologicalnovel] Joy Jones was a seventeen-year-old kind and optimistic girl working...
315 1 24
(This is based off of something that happened to me but I ended up letting my brain spiral at one point.... very dramatic!) A young teenage girl find...