Thin Bones

By FelicityMavis

Gaige Carson was finally free when his mother packed him up and sent up north. To his distant father and the... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62 - Thin Bones
63- Thin Bones
64- Thin Bones
65- Thin Bones
66- Thin Bones
67- Thin Bones
68- Thin Bones
And so it comes to an end
Bonus Chapter!!! (Epilogue??)

9

344 15 0
By FelicityMavis

To: Gaige

so brotha how r u? Maddie was talkn bout u thought i hit u up

Thurs 7:39am

To: Brotha Anotha Motha

I'm living in a shit-hole of a town. Officially suspended for the first time here.

Thurs 8:46am

And presumably grounded from on the overly lipsticked frown on my step-mothers face.

To: Gaige

 took a hole week a record

Thurs 8:51am

A record Gaige supposed. What was really the record was Erin speeding ability to get to the school in under nine minutes from when the secretary called both of Gaige's parents to tell him he was suspended. They were still waiting for Brad. 

So Gaige sat in one of the awkward wooden chairs fumbling with his phone, Erin fuming next to him, Dennis Hay's slouched in a similar seat with a frown, a red watering eye, a powdered mother, and an angry army father. Perhaps Dennis and he weren't as different as Gaige thought they were.

Gaige stared down at his red, cracked knuckles. He really needed to apply lotion, all this Michigan cold wind was dying out his skin. How was he suppose to punch pompous assholes like Dennis Hays? His phone lit up with another text from Leon who Gaige knew was supposed to be art painting fucking flowers or something.

To: Gaige

how much truble from she-witch? bet she burns ur ass

Thurs 8:53am

Gaige glanced up to his side only to catch Erin staring over his shoulder at his phone screen. He wrinkled his eyebrows and turned his body and phone screen. 

To: Brotha Anotha Motha

First, she drives her like she's in the motherfucking nascar and then she reads our conversation over my shoulder. All over one punch to asshole of the week.

Thurs 8:55am

Brad rushes in the office, glancing left and right before his gaze settles on his son and his thoroughly pissed off wife. Brad runs a hand over his blonde hair, blowing out some air.

The secretary that gave Gaige his schedule a little over a week ago must know what Brad looks like, or at least is able to infer what looks Erin and Brad are sharing meant.

"I'll let Mr. Sears know everyone's here," She smiled tightly and pressed a button on the phone system to announce to the assistant principle everyone was here to witness the first downfall of Gaige Carson in Michigan. Privileged little boy Dennis was going to get off with a warning, Gaige's forced apology, and a black eye. 

Brad hurried over to the seat Erin had saved next to her, sat, before leaning over to see Gaige. His son blinked impassively, Brad opened his mouth, closed, opened, and closed failing to say anything before leaning back in his seat. Gaige leaned back in his seat too, not impressed.

Eventually, a little scrawny white-haired man came out from the hallway. Gaige lifted a single eyebrow when the secretary sat straighter, smiled and his parents sat taller in their seats like they were sucking up or something.

"Mr. and Mrs. Carlson," The vice principal nodded at Gaige's guardians who nod back, "Mr. and Mrs. Hay," a nod to Dennis' parents  who responded with their own nodded, "Let's go to my office."

The parents of both teenage boys rose, the women with their coats folded neatly in the croak of their arms, and the men pushing out of the seats. While Dennis' father was the bad guy on his team, Erin was Gaige's. They sent their respective dirty looks to their respective children before the two couples left with the short man of authority. 

The boys sighed and slumped down in their seats now that the guardians were gone. Gaige stared down in his lap, waiting for Leon to respond. Anything to pass the time until he's locked in the square guest bedroom. 

"I'm doubting this is your first time?" Dennis' cut in the silence made Gaige flick his gaze up over the top of his eyes, to look at the popular boy through Gaige's eyelashes, "In the principles office?"

Gaige snorted, and fumbled with his phone, turning it over and over in his lap. Dennis hadn't the slightest idea. Pretty boy Dennis with his boy squad laughing it up as Gaige got mad enough to punch Dennis had no idea what Gaige's background is like. Doesn't know how many times his mom's been called into the office. 

Dennis nods his head -rather lamely- looking around the office, "I've only been in here for a fight twice. Every other time was for awards or group thanks. Football, basketball shit. It's...uncomfortable being here in trouble," Dennis shivered.

Gaige let his head fall back with a chuckle, and then fall forward enough to make eye contact with Dennis, "Well don't get your panties in a bunch pretty face, you won't be in trouble long. Throw a ball in a basket, they'll give you another certificate and you'll be good."

And to think Dennis laughed. A chest laugh, like a little cough or something. And then it became an actual laugh with a smile and everything. His clear skinned, straight jaw, brown eyes were humored by Gaige's response. He even pushed himself up from the arms of the chair to sit straighter in the seat, pushing up black raven hair that had fallen out of the gelled puff on top of his head. 

"You're right," Dennis was still chuckling as he said this, looking around but not at Gaige who was staring at him not as if he was the crazy man he was somewhat acting like, "You're always right," Dennis turns to Gaige with wide brown eyes, an offset smile, "Which is fucking insane because you've been here two weeks and barely open your mouth yet your always fucking right. An anomaly," Dennis had jazz hands, his hair falling down from his gelled styled, and wide crazy eyes.

"I didn't hit you that hard."

Dennis nodded, still smiling, still wide-eyed, "And then I say one word in class and all of a sudden-" Dennis stills, sitting straight like he has a brace on his back "-Bam. I'm possibly concussed, grounded for at least two weeks -full cut off from the world- and being laughed at in class because Gaige, the random boy who showed up from nowhere but is maybe Milton Peterson's brother, punched in the eye because I said a word!"

"A politically incorrect, insulting word."

"And now I'm sitting in the office at," Dennis pulls out his phone -in a black otter case, "9-15 while my parents get the rundown of my life and I'm rambling to Gaige Carson -my assaulter- and the secretary," Gaige makes eye contact with the secretary who was indeed listening to everything that was happening because god knows she nothing else to do, "And...wow. I apologize for calling Joel a retard-" Gaige tilted his head and narrowed his eyes, "Sorry, calling Joel a bad name. I understand how it's no longer politically correct and insulting. I have grown into using it because of my friends using it. But I apologize."

Gaige stares at Dennis, impassive eyes, neither a smile nor frown. The secretary has wide eyes, quickly pretending to go back to work even though she's going to fake it to hear the rest of the conversation. Hear Gaige's response. 

Dennis stares back at Gaige. Slowly falling back in his uncomfortable seat, waiting for the 'it's okay', or 'don't apologize, just don't do it again' like he's always received for his apologies. But Gaige is a new force. Because, for longer than normally spent after an apology, Gaige doesn't say anything. He licks his lips, giving Dennis the anticipation he'll speak, yet he doesn't. Gaige may rearrange himself in his chair, placing hsi elbow in the armrest and then leaning over to hold his chin in his palm. It didn't look too comfortable Gaige's height but Gaige's face didn't show any discomfort. 

After an unforeseen silence, with Dennis eyebrows staying so low on his head, Dennis sucks in a deep breath, "What? No answer? Not even an 'I don't want to accept your apology or something?"

Gaige bites his lip, shrugging, "Won't reach you anyway," And then turned back to his phone in his lap.

Two Missed Calls: Mother

To: Gaige

A Punch?! What the hell Gaige! You've been there for like two seconds, can you not take a fucking looking around and realize that's your last chance?! Stop trying to mess it up. After your father, there is no one else, Gaige. No one else to help you

Thurs 9:13am 

It was from his mom. Sent while Dennis was carrying on about Gaige being some new fond discovery. Brad must have called or texted her while he was on his way here from work. And now she was freaking out her work down in Flordia, cursing her womb for producing such a fuck up of a childlike Gaige Carson. And Gaige Carson wishes he hadn't eaten that half of banana this morning so his stomach would up and digest himself until he ceased to exist. He wished he had a car to dive out of here and fuck himself up with anything he could find; Drugs, alcohol, razors.

Gaige blinked and clicked out of his mother's contact.

To: Gaige

Punch? Damn Gaige, u only been there 2 weeks. Who u punch & y 

Thurs 9:18am

To: Brotha Anotha Motha

A football jockie. Fucking words he doesn't even know how to use correctly

Thurs 9:20am 

"Who even are you?" Gaige looks off his phone to see Dennis shaking his head, black hair locks falling in his narrowed eyes. Gaige licks his lips and locks his phone in time for the vice principal and parents to walk back out. 

Gaige didn't even know the name of the man who wished he had more authority, "Well, I think that sums up this event. As I've said, I've already talked to both boys. Gaige will be receiving four days of out of school suspension and his first mark. Dennis has a day of in-school suspension," Gaige couldn't help but roll his eyes, "It's unfortunate this situation happened. But hopefully it won't happen again, right boys," The man cocks a white bushy brow at the two teens in the chairs. 

Dennis is suddenly shy again, maybe because of the attention on him or merely his father's presence in the room, but the boy nods at the ground. Gaige blinks and gives the curtest of nods knowing full well he doesn't intend on remembering anything from this day. 

"I'm sorry for having to call all of you out of your works," The principles smile is tight and very fake.

Brad smiles for the group of adults who are very high strung, "It's no problem. I apologize for my son's behavior. Gaige," Gaige sucks in a breath when his brad turns to him, "Have you apologized to Mr. Hay?" 

Gaige stood up, stretching his tired limbs, sliding his phone in his back pocket and maneuvered around the adults until he was at the door of the office.

"No, but he apologized to me. I appreciate it, Mr. Hay," And he slipped parking lot to wait and see which death trap with which awkward gurdian he'd ride back to his little guest bedroom. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Abigail By Hannah

Teen Fiction

57.5K 1.7K 30
(In editing) She's depressed. She's anorexic. She's suicidal. She's insecure. Abigail has grown up with her three brothers and James, never meeting h...
61.1K 1.1K 25
This is the sequel to Bullied By My Brothers. If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend to read that book first! -------------------- Elli...
Altered By Luella M Opal

General Fiction

104 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...
1.3K 289 28
" You only truly miss someone when they are gone. And sometimes, it's hard to let go. But you have to let him go..." It is hard when your loved one...