Yesterday's Future 1✔️

By ziggywrites

[COMPLETE] Time is a funny thing; the past, the future; it's all mixed up. Adam Coker lives and works in New... More

Author's Note.
1. The city of brown roofs.
2. The way to a man's heart.
3. The 'not' girl-in-red kind.
4. The woman who slumped.
5. The unreal as though it was real.
6. The most quirky human being he ever saw.
7. The sister's friend's friend.
8. The lilies and valleys.
9. The man of the hood.
10. The standard gentleman's bar
11. The show is on.
12. The 2016 german machine.
13. The very tempting offer.
14. The way her body moved.
15. The very familiar mellow voice.
17. The things he could not have.
18. The other night.
19. The lips that met his.
20. The happy leaf.
21. The 1000 questions.
22. The hell is going on here?
23. The mystery and misery of Adam.
24. The sky is wide enough for two birds to fly without their wings touching.
25. The brother that died.
26. The goodbyes.
27. The moment of truth.
28. The walls he broke.
29. The new dispensation.
30. The end of her love story.
Author's note.
Part two is complete!

16. The littlest things.

703 92 1
By ziggywrites

11:33pm,
the Coker's Estate.

HE
said he'd be "right back" but he didn't return as expected, at least not immediately so. Unforeseen and uncontrollable situations of life had held him back and by the time he came downstairs, she had gone and he cussed himself under his breath. He'd only excused himself to take a leak  in his bedroom when his phone started to ring again, the reason why he left it behind angrily to drink some liquor earlier and lift his spirits when he first found her in the living room and these days when his phone rings like that, it's not usually good.

This time it wasn't even Lily. It was Dylan, his white buddy and colleague back at home in NY. They hadn't really talked since the last time they texted which was usually their thing so surprised to see his name pop up on his screen, he hesitantly picked it up, his forehead creasing and the voice hit him.

"Hey man. What's up? Being tryna reach you."

He released his expression as he answered Dylan in the same nimble tone.

"Hey Dee. I'm okay. I'm sorry I've just been busy. What's going on man? How's it over there?"

"Well... It's been good. Nothing unusual has been happening. Except for your wife. Or ex-wife I really dunno anymore. Which is why I called you..."

"Wait... Lily? Again? What did say she want?"

"She keeps coming around, saying you're not picking her calls, asking when you're coming back home and it doesn't look like she's gonna stop. It sounds like there's a big problem."

"Did she tell you what the problem is?"

"She won't talk to me man. When you coming back?"

"I don't know? I still have a week I guess.."

"You're gonna have to come deal with this. She's going crazy. I think she broke up with... that guy."

"Yeah she said that. I'll call her."

"You said that the last time Adam. You really should."

"Yes I said I will. Thanks Dylan. I owe you one.

"You don't owe me. We're friends remember? Just come back soon. We all miss you and the girls won't stop talking about you. It's beginning to itch my ears."

He wanted to smile at those last sentences because it was no secret how the ladies at his office were always over him but right now he couldn't manage to. It felt like things were getting out of hands.

"I'll try my best. Later man."

Angry and confused at the same time, Adam tossed his phone on the bed and sat on the couch-arm his hands cupping his face and thinking over what Dylan had just said. Truly, Lily had called his line a couple of time that same night and sent him messages saying she had something serious to discuss with him but everytime he ignored her. He just didn't want to go back there because only him knew the pain and derangement that she caused him the last time and here she was again, playing another one of her games.

His agitation grew even more after this last conversation making him wonder what she was really up to now. That little devil. After some minutes of pensiveness, he stood up, picked his phone and was going to call her right away. He was going to deal with it once and for all so that he could fully have his life back. Like that was possible. It hurt, reopening a wound that wasn't fully healed. It was painful but now it was the only way.

He blinked and Simi instantaneously flashed. Shit! He told her he'd be right back and she must have thought he'd come back but he didn't. He looked at his phone, 11:55pm, almost midnight. He thought to go back downstairs but would she still be there waiting for him? It'd been about thrity minutes that he excused himself so he couldn't be sure. Without another thought, he dropped his phone again and darted out of his room as if he was already late for an appointment.

When he reached downstairs, everything was off. The TV, the lights and even she was gone with the bottle of vodka, he assumed 'cause that was out of sight too. A pang gripped his heart and a deep sigh exhaled from him. Even though it was short, her company had a soothing effect on him, always did and now that he needed it, she was gone. Story of his life.

He turned back and upped the stairs into his room thinking of how everything just had to be bad luck with him, even the littlest things. If he hadn't used his pills earlier, maybe he'd have been in a worse shape now. He still needed to call Lily and settle whatever it is that was the problem but more importantly he needed his liquor and it was with Simi on the other side of the door. He needed them both.

***

Sleep was so far away from him because his mind was unsettled, all over the place. He had tried calling Lily once but fortunately and unfortunately for him, it was unavailable so he just laid back on his bed facing the ceiling, his hands under his head listening to the soft sound of the rain. It had already stopped raining heavy, it only drizzled and a cold wind whistled through the windows.

At this particular moment, in this weather, he had stopped thinking of Lily and their problem. He could only think of how cuddling would have been so perfect right now. He missed that; the love and affection of being in a woman's fragile embrace and the feeling of being special that he used to have and now it was like he couldn't even remember how they felt like anymore.

He turned around adjusting his pillow so that he would rest on his side and maybe find some sleep when he heard a sharp sound from Simi's room. He was immediately alerted and his eyes opened. What the fuck was that? Everything became silent again and then he started hearing foot movements. Pronto, he checked his phone, 12:34am. What's going on over there? He listened more carefully and the movements didn't stop causing his jitters to grow until he couldn't help but knock on her door.

He was going to hit the door again when she turned the knob and his eyes widened to see that she was still very much awake.

"Hey." She said in a low voice when she saw that it was him and though she was surprised too as to why he had come over at such time she wore a cool face still. He peered into the room from where he stood outside to see if anything was wrong and he found nothing.

"I'm sorry I thought I heard weird noises from here because I thought you'd be asleep but it looks like everything is okay."

"Oh I spilled some water but I just cleaned it up. I didn't think I was that noisy. I hope it didn't wake you."

"No I wasn't sleeping yet," He looked briefly at her face and it was like she was studying him too. It made him uneasy so he immediately continued,

"And I'm sorry about earlier. I just got caught up with stuff inside and by the time I came back down you were gone."

"Oh no it's...it's okay. (She lied.) I figured and I had things to do in here too." She stopped talking and as if she could read him, she asked,

"Are you okay? You seem a bit off."

At that instant, he wanted to confess. He wanted to say he wasn't okay. He wanted to tell her he hadn't been okay in years and why. He wanted to tell her everything.

"Err ... yes I am. I'm okay and now that I see that you are too I should go back inside and not dist..."

"Would you ...come in?"

His eyes lit up startled at her offer.

"Can I?"

"Sure. It's your house and besides I still have your vodka. You look like you need it more."

She smiled.

He chuckled at her humor and she opened the door more widely for his big frame to enter.

"You can sit there." She said as she closed the door behind them and pointed at her bed because unlike other rooms in the house, there was no couch or chair in this one. She picked her long black and lacy kimono to cover up her short white and silk nightie and his eyes followed her as he slowly advanced towards the bed, his head clouded with all sorts of thoughts and he perched on the edge. The room looked different, even smelled different. It was like it had mastered her fragrance.

"Let me pour you a glass."

"What about you?"

"I've had enough. Any more of this and I will be drunk." And definitely lose guard of myself around you.

"I don't mind. Do you?"

She looked behind her to catch him looking at her, really waiting for an answer. Was he serious? She shook her head, "No. For real I'm okay."

"Please, I don't like to drink alone..." His voice, arrgh!

Maybe it was the hypnotic effect of his voice or it was her own weakness, she agreed though something told her it was going to be a mistake. She brought their glasses and sat on her bed after handing his to him. She watched him empty the glass at a gulp and she just sensed that something might be wrong with him. She took a sip of hers and it didn't spike her mouth like before. She had already had enough to be familiar with it but she could feel the tipsiness kicking in.

"What are you still doing up anyway? It's past midnight already." He looked at her in the middle of the bed where she sat, her legs intertwined with her two phones, headphones, pens (blue, black and red), a notepad, a novel, Children of the Revolution and one fancy lighter all scattered around her. He wondered what the lighter could be for but he didn't ask.

"Err... I'm trying to write."

"Yeah you said earlier that you sing. You're trying to write a song?" She nodded. "Oh that's cool."

"Is it?" She huffed. "I've been on it for days now. Nothing. No inspiration whatsoever."

She sighed again and he adjusted himself where he sat so that he was now facing her. She was indeed a wonder to watch, the way she talked and expressed herself and for some reasons he felt a little bit more loose around her.

"What about you? Why have you been drinking?" She jumped off the bed, packed all of her stuff from on top of it, including the notepad and lighter and dropped them on the dresser meaning she was done for the night.

"I normally drink. I don't need a reason to." His gaze still following.

"Hmm really?" His statement encouraged her because she just closed her eyes and took a full swig of what was left in her glass and it did spike her mouth giving her an ugly expression, like she swallowed pills that taste really bad. She opened her mouth and let out air then she fixed herself next to him on the bed; why she did that, she didn't know. All she knew was that her natural instinct wanted to be so close to this man now than ever. Or maybe she was just under the influence.

On the other hand, he wanted the same thing even more. His eyes had not left her a second since she granted him access in and watching her all he wanted was to touch her dainty body, her pristine face, her tiny waist, her unbound crazy hair and if he was lucky definitely kiss her again, those cherry lips. He wanted to know every curve of her body and how she reacted to every touch. He wanted to know her deep within, listen to her moan, his name this time around.

Their eyes locked and Simi felt suddenly aware of just how close they were sitting. With Adam's hand resting behind her, he basically shared the bed with her. The thought brought a hot flush to her cheeks, but she couldn't bring herself to look away from him. Her eyes swept over his face and lingered on his lips.

"Would you leave again if I kissed you?" The words were already out before she knew where they came out from and where the confidence to even ask him emanated from she didn't know either. All she knew was the need to express her desires. For once at least. I told you, no more vodka.

"Wh-What?" His eyes gleamed, shocked at her question. He withdrew.

"I mean ... the last time... you left. If it happened again, it would hurt this time."

He didn't say anything. He couldn't. He was busy trying to process her words. What? This was really how she felt?

"I'm sorry I said all that. Just forget it. Shouldn't have. Silly me. It's the alcohol. I knew I shouldn't have listened to you."

He was still speechless, short of words to say to her. For sure he wanted to kiss her again, even more than the last time. He wanted to do more than just kiss her but she was right. He would leave if it got intense and if he didn't right away, he would later. He ain't got the heart nomore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.3K 8.8K 33
A simple orphaned school teacher with a heart of gold meets a strange and helpless woman who has lost all memories of who she was. He takes her home...
8.6K 1.7K 26
(Book 2) (Stand-alone) Danielle's got a double image attached to her, but to many, she is an annoying student who wouldn't fail to dig into things t...
23.2K 4.1K 41
Raymond Adams is content watching the people in his life love. As far as he's concerned, being alone isn't so bad as long as he has the most importan...
246K 42.7K 42
"And who are you?" I looked up to see his well structured face. "I'm Itoro, Itoro Samuels." "And what are you doing here?" "Trying to clean up Sir...