Yesterday's Future 1✔️

By ziggywrites

[COMPLETE] Time is a funny thing; the past, the future; it's all mixed up. Adam Coker lives and works in New... More

Author's Note.
1. The city of brown roofs.
2. The way to a man's heart.
3. The 'not' girl-in-red kind.
4. The woman who slumped.
5. The unreal as though it was real.
6. The most quirky human being he ever saw.
7. The sister's friend's friend.
8. The lilies and valleys.
9. The man of the hood.
10. The standard gentleman's bar
12. The 2016 german machine.
13. The very tempting offer.
14. The way her body moved.
15. The very familiar mellow voice.
16. The littlest things.
17. The things he could not have.
18. The other night.
19. The lips that met his.
20. The happy leaf.
21. The 1000 questions.
22. The hell is going on here?
23. The mystery and misery of Adam.
24. The sky is wide enough for two birds to fly without their wings touching.
25. The brother that died.
26. The goodbyes.
27. The moment of truth.
28. The walls he broke.
29. The new dispensation.
30. The end of her love story.
Author's note.
Part two is complete!

11. The show is on.

822 99 1
By ziggywrites

7:54pm,
the Coker's Estate.

THE
sun was down and the cloud was already gathering up, like it would rain. Simi had returned into her room few hours ago before the Cokers came back from visiting the Adenijis except for Adam who didn't return with them. From her room, she heard the gate open and Ali's funny "Welcome oh, welcome Aunty, welcome Madam. Yes ma."

As Tiara drove into the compound, she tried to scribble down some things into her notepad with her ears plugged. It was her thing, being solo, listening to music and scribbling down her thoughts after a good smoking session, thoughts that sometimes became songs. Minutes later, she stepped out of the bed, washed up her face, got herself into an oversized roundneck and shorts and came downstairs to find Tiara already in the kitchen with the Houseboy about to make dinner.

"Hey babe, thought you'd be sleeping. Didn't wanna wake you." Tiara first greeted in a courteous manner when she noticed her come in and Simi smiled, advancing into the kitchen to join her, exchanging greetings with the houseboy who just offloaded the car.

"I heard you drive in. Where's Mummy?"

"You know her, she's gone up to pray and rest. She'll be down soon when food is ready."

"Oh right. And the family you visited? How's the wedding preparations going?" Simi continued to ask.

"It's fantastic. Did I tell you I'm the chief bridesmaid?"

"Yeah yeah I think so. That's really good. I've never been one but I guess it sounds interesting." Simi said in the most casual tone but with no sense of interest whatsoever in things like that.

"This is my third time, can you imagine? It's interesting but girl, it can be stressful too. I still have to run some errands for Todun tomorrow and head over to her house to help her mum wrap and pack the wedding souvenirs and some boxes too and I'm yet to get my dresses from the tailor. It's really crazy babe."

"It is. But its not your first time so I'm sure you can handle it."

"I hope so."

Simi hummed as she mentally looked around for any sign of Adam, but nothing. Maybe he'd gone up into his room, she thought.

Tiara brought out the bag of meat from the bigger bag she had brought from the market, poured it into a huge bowl and turned the tap. As she started to wash she faced Simi,

"Are you okay? You know with you being in the house alone. It gets very quiet and boring here sometimes."

Simi chortled, "It's not that bad. I kept Ali's company today."

Tiara instinctively turned around to Simi and her eyes opened in quiet surprise, "What? Ali? Are you kidding?" She laughed and Simi chuckled.

"What? He's an interesting company. I like him."

Tiara laughed again. "True. But you should go out. There's more to Ibadan than this small estate. Or even Ali," She teased. "Maybe tomorrow, I can ask Adam to take you out, if he's home. There's a lot of places you'd find interesting."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Or you don't want that?"

"No no ... it's ... I'm definitely okay with that." She lied, she wasn't okay with that even though it was an amazing idea, something she'd want to look forward to. But the mention of his name alone had sent some kind of mild frisson through her body and she didn't even want to start imagining what going out with him would do to her.

Simi rested against the counter as she mused and watched Tiara pour the pieces of beef into a pot, sprinkle some salt, and onions  and give other instructions to the Houseboy who just nodded his head in concurrence.

"Simi, let's go into the living room and have a chat. He already knows what to do. Tinsel is starting now and I don't wanna miss it."

"Tinsel?"

"Yeah you don't watch the show?"

"I don't do a lot of TV."

"You're just like Adam but you'll like this one."

Tiara picked out a chilled container of juice from the fridge and Simi helped her with a small tray and two glasses as she followed her into the living room and they made themselves comfortable on the sofa that was directly facing the large TV screen. Simi poured the glasses and Tiara found the remote, putting the TV on and tuning to AfMag Family for her show, Tinsel.

The episode was going to last for half an hour and while it went on, Tiara's full attention was on the screen while Simi's mind just wandered. She thought again about what Tiara had said about Adam taking her out. She knew it was not going to happen because she had told herself to steer clear of him, forestall any chance of something awkward happening between them again, but at the same time she couldn't help but imagine it. Maybe they'd have a decent conversation or maybe she'd just want to him kiss her again, she wouldn't be able to decide.

Tiara's phone buzzed and when she reached for it, it was a text message from her brother. Some seconds later after staring at her screen, she sighed out loud and Simi had to ask, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, its Adam. He said he might not be coming home tonight. He's with Bode."

"Mr. Bode from the hotel?"

Surprised, Tiara asked, "You know him?"

"Yes. He's the manager I was telling you about that welcomed me nicely when I first got to Ibadan."

"Oh for the concert? Yeah that's gotta be him... He manages the hotel for his Dad. Yeah..." Tiara trailed off.

"What? You seem ...absent."

Her countenance had really shifted and after a moment of reflection, she answered. "Nah ... I'm just really worried about Adam."

"You're worried about your brother? Why?"

Tiara heaved a sigh and took her attention away from the commercial that was going on on the TV and turned in a way that the two ladies were facing each other on the sofa, glasses in their hands but before she responded, she first dropped her own glass on the table.

"The thing is... I used to know him. We were very close and it was easy to read him but now it feels like I can't anymore. It's like ... I don't even know him. He's a lot different now."

"Are you saying he hasn't always been like this?"

"If you mean quiet and reserved, no he hasn't. Adam used to be very happy and sociable. Playful about almost everything and girls used to like swoon over him as if he had a magnet or something and we all used to make fun about it. Unlike Sam who..." Tiara's voice naturally came down to a note of sadness after the last two words.

"Sam?"

"Yeah his twin brother and my ..."

"Adam has a twin?"

"Had."

"Had? What do you mean?"

"Yeah he died some years ago."

"Jeez, I'm- I'm sorry to hear that. I ..."

"Nah it's fine. Its been close to ten years now and no one talks about it around here."

"Why is that?"

"Look at my mum. That's what got her into this messy health condition. She went into shock immediately she heard about it and Adam too, he relocated to New York less than a month after. Yeah I understood he was grieving and all. We all were. But now it feels like its more than that."

"Have you ...tried to talk to him about it?"

"Trust me I tried but he'd just smile and say everything is fine. But I feel it strongly that its all fake. Something is wrong and I need to know."

"Hey Tee, relax. Maybe nothing is wrong. He's a grown man and maybe New York changed him. We won't be the same people forever. Experiences change us. I'm sure you're not the same person either. Just give him some more time, if something is actually wrong, he'll come around."

"Yeah true but he only has one week more in Nigeria. I'm just really worried Simi. I don't wanna lose him too."

"Now you're just overthinking it. You can't lose him. What about your mum? Does she feel the same way?"

"Yes. But you know how mothers can be. She's more worried about having grandchildren before she dies."

"I know right."

"The Adam I know would have a girlfriend at least, trust me Simi, he always does. A white girlfriend most definitely because he was always talking about marrying a white woman. It was like his fantasy or something and Mummy would rebuke it but now he says he has no one at all and doesn't even want anyone. That's so unlike him. Girls always want him."

"He - he doesn't want anyone?"

"I don't understand it too. I tried to introduce him to some of my friends, he wouldn't let me. Simi, that's more reason to be worried. Something has happened or is happening."

"You just have to be patient with him. And stop worrying. He's a grown up and whatever is going on, I'm sure he has his reasons for keeping to himself. I think you should respect his privacy."

"Maybe you're right. I think I might be too extra sometimes. Thank you dear, at least I feel a little better now." By now Tinsel was over so she picked the remote up again to change the channel before she continued, "So tell me, what did you do today apart from keep Ali's company?"

"Err..."

"Wait... Let me see what that boy is up to in there." Tiara abruptly upped from the sofa and darted into the kitchen.

"Yes sure ...I should- I should pee myself." Simi stuttered for the obvious reason. Immediately her phone began to ring out loud. "Ah! Look who's calling. My mum. I'll be right back Tee."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.2K 8.9K 21
[COMPLETED] Spurred by her desperation and an eagerness to be released from the shackles of poverty, Ada finds herself joining a sugar daddy site wit...
8.5K 1.7K 26
(Book 2) (Stand-alone) Danielle's got a double image attached to her, but to many, she is an annoying student who wouldn't fail to dig into things t...
23.2K 4.1K 41
Raymond Adams is content watching the people in his life love. As far as he's concerned, being alone isn't so bad as long as he has the most importan...
30.2K 5.8K 55
After so many years away from the country because of past experiences and also for educational reasons, Jessica Mark Ifeanyi returns back to Nigeria...