It started With A Phone Call

By amysousa

Sky Evans is a sweet, smart, and very innocent eighteen-year-old, but she isn't popular. In fact, she's far f... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Epilogue
What Happens After the Phone Call
Once Upon A Tear
Apollo's Prophecy

Chapter Fourteen

63.3K 514 31
By amysousa

Hello! I'm in the middle of final exams so excuse my longer gaps between uploads! I couldn't find a picture for this chapter so sorry if you like them! I'd say this is more of a filler chapter, but those are necessary sometimes. I hope you enjoy nonetheless and I'll be back soon with a new update!

Credits go to @WolfeeAlert for making me the amazing cover that I have as the chapter photo :)

Sky

I slowly opened my eyes when the light was let into my room. I had no idea what time it was. I remembered last night and how much I drank... how do I not have a huge hangover? "How much did you drink?" I heard a deep voice ask from my window. I sat up abruptly, which made my hangover headache show up. I clutched my head in pain and looked over to where the voice was coming from while squinting my eyes.

"Hi Dan," I mumbled as I continued to hold my head. "What are you doing here?" I asked him before I noticed a pink slip of paper that was next to me. Avery must have left it there. "Avery called me and told me to come over to take care of you because she's going out after work, and Luke kicked me out because he has some girl coming over today," he replied while climbing into bed with me. Shit! I forgot about work today!

"Where is she going?" I asked curiously, even though I knew she'd be the girl Luke was talking about. "I'm not sure. She said that the note would explain everything," Dan answered and handed me the pink slip of paper for me to read.

Good morning sunshine! I bet you feel great today! Ha! That's what you get for drinking so much. How do I know you drank so much since I didn't see you when you got home? I'm just psychic. Haha I'm joking! I saw stains on your shirt (which is in the washer probably ready to be put in the dryer.) I left two aspirins on the bedside table with a cup of water so go drink it now! Don't read past this until you have the aspirin!

I laughed and looked to my side where the aspirin was sitting next to a cup of water. I drank it before I continued to read the note as Dan played with my hair.

Ok, if you're reading this it means you drank the water. Good job! Now down to business. I told Sherry that you have some sort of stomach flue before I left this morning so she could call one of the other girls in. I'm going out with my mom after work so I probably won't see you until tonight. Watch a movie, eat some pizza and do your nails. Just save me some pizza if you do order some... or else (I know where you sleep and I can unlock your door easily. Try having fun and tell Dan to come over unless he's already there... Hi Dan! (Incase he was reading.) See you later babes! –Avery

I smiled at the letter, but I really wanted to frown. I remembered everything that I'd heard the night before. Avery was still lying to me when she didn't have to. Tomorrow I'm going to make her have a girl's day out with me. Avery would probably be with Luke until late. But what if she wasn't lying and Luke is having someone else over? I should check. I decided to call my mom.

"Hey Mom, what's up?" I asked as soon as she answered. "Hey honey, nothing much right now. I'm going to be going out later with Sally so we can do some shopping and catch a movie together," she answered. So Avery did lie. "Just the two of you?" I asked to make sure my assumptions were correct before jumping to conclusions. "Yes, we wanted to make sure that we had some fun without you girls," my mom answered and laughed a bit. "Oh, have fun. I was just calling to say hi. I'll see you next week mom. Love you... Bye!" I took a deep breath after I hung up.

"Is everything ok?" Dan asked concerned. I smiled at him. "Yeah, I was just checking something with my mom. It seems that she is going to have fun today without me, which means that we're stuck here all day. Unless you have something else to do other then sit here and do nothing," I said with puppy dog eyes. Dan wiggled his eyebrows. "I can think of something fun that we can do all day," he said before trying to kiss me. I lightly pushed him away and laughed.

"Not with my killer headache and morning breath we're not," I answered. Dan pouted. "So how was the party? Did any of those punks try hitting on you?" Dan asked with a hint of jealousy. I gave him a sly look, which I could tell, freaked him out a bit. "I'm just kidding. It was awkward at first since is don't really talk to people from school but than I had fun after a few drinks." Dan smirked at me. "Just a few?" he asked in a mocking tone of voice. I gulped before answering. "Yeah you know, I lost count, but that's probably because I suck at math. Dan let out a bark of laughter.

"You sure know how to party, Sky. So no one hit on you?" I shook my head. "They just wanted to dance with me, but that's all," I answered before carefully standing up and making my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. "All right, now let's have some fun," he answered before getting up. I walked back into the room to Dan checking me out. I sent him a questioning look. "You should put some clothes on or I won't be able to control myself," He said and casually looked down at the bulge in his pants. I looked down and realized that I was only wearing underwear and a pretty see-through white top. I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. "I'll meet you in the kitchen in five," I told him. "Sure thing," he answered before he winked at me and walked out.

~~~

All day Dan and I relaxed. We watched a bit of television, which got boring really quickly so we decided to bake cupcakes. We made chocolate, vanilla, and mixed cupcakes. "You missed an egg," I said as Dan went to close the fridge door. We finally stuck the cupcakes in the oven. They'd take about twenty-five minutes. During the wait we sat on the sofa and talked about random things. For the most part I was trying to make my headache go away, which wasn't working out too well. The oven dinged, which made me sit up a bit too quickly. "The cupcakes!" I yelled with my eyes tightly shut. I tried to get up, but Dan wouldn't let me.

"Slow down there. We don't want you to feel worse, do we?" Dan asked as he held me in place. I smiled at him and slowly shook my head. "It only hurts a bit now. The Aspirin and cuddling with you paid off," I said and got up. I put on a pair of oven mitts and took out the first two batches of cupcakes. I decided to leave the chocolate and vanilla mixed cupcakes for last.

"It's eight o'clock. Shouldn't Avery be back by now?" Dan asked and before I could answer the sound of someone arriving was emitted from the front door. "Yes she should," Ave said after hanging up her keys on the hook. Her eyes widened as soon as she saw the cupcakes on the island. "Oh my God... did you make mixed cupcakes too?" She squealed in excitement. I couldn't help but laugh at how happy she looked. "Yes Avery, but I just put them in. They should be ready in 20 minutes," I explained, which made her pout. Mixed are her favourite and she would, without a doubt, wait to eat those ones first.

"Where are all your bags?" I asked her as I remembered that she went, "shopping." She seemed a bit perplexed, but quickly recovered. "I left them with my mom. She wanted to wash them because they had a weird store scent," Avery answered. I nodded at her and I swear I could see her relax a bit. "I should probably head out. Luke's complaining about being alone," Dan said as he put his phone back into his pockets. I frowned a bit before an idea popped into my head. "Tell him to come here for cupcakes.

We made three batches and they'll probably spoil," I explained. Dan seemed to like the idea. I looked at Avery and caught a little glint in her eyes. She frowned as soon as she noticed me looking at her.

"Don't invite pig boy! He's going to eat all of the mixed ones just to piss me off!" Avery complained. I could tell that she was telling the truth about that. That woman loves her mixed cupcakes. Dan looked between the two of us before I nodded at him. "Sorry Ave," he mumbled and texted Luke. Avery huffed before sitting down. Dan sent her another apologetic look before he sat down next to me. "You're going to get Avery to kill me one day you know that?" He asked me playfully and kissed me on the forehead. Avery fake gagged at the gesture before she sat down at the sofa that had a better view of the oven.

When Luke arrived the cupcakes were all out of the oven. Avery, being the greedy person she is, hid half of the mixed cupcakes inside of my room. That's right, not her room- my room. Much to Avery's pleasure, Luke prefers plain vanilla cupcakes so she calmed down a bit. I made hot chocolates for everyone and explained how the party was. I was surprised that Luke and Ave only shared two miniature arguments in the half an hour span that Luke had been here. A few comments about "baboons" and "pigs" were thrown at each other, but nothing worse.

"We should get going. You girls are going to have a long day tomorrow so you might as well get as much shut eye as you can," Dan said while grinning. "Long day?" Avery questioned. I grinned at her excitedly. "We're having a girls day and day out!" I said while clapping my hands together in enjoyment. Ave's eyes widened. "Ooh, sounds like fun. Can I join in?" Luke asked while wiggling his eyebrows. "You're such a pervert!" Avery scolded while glaring at him. He glared back but I could see the amusement in their eyes. Dan probably didn't see it, but spoke up.

"You guys fight like a married couple. Come on, Luke. Let's leave before someone get's stabbed again," he joked, which made Luke and Avery look away from each other. "Bye guys. You should have a boys day tomorrow!" I shouted as Dan pushed Luke out of the apartment. I went to lock the door when it opened again. "I love you," Dan said before kissing me lightly on the lips. I smiled at him. "I love you too. He walked towards the elevator with a huge smile on his face. I locked the door behind me and made my way to the kitchen to start cleaning up.

~~~

I woke up at exactly eight o'clock so I could make sure everything was in order. I opened my laptop and double-checked the reservations I made for Avery and I at the spa today. Everything was set for a massage, manicure, pedicure, and a haircut. I cringed at the thought of how Avery would react to a hair cut. I was just happy that I was finally using the spa vouchers that I'd won in a raffle to good use. I walked over to Avery's locked door and took a deep breath. "Avery, get up right now!" I screamed dramatically. I heard a bang and Avery saying some very strongly worded phrases before she opened her door.

"Is there a good reason why you have awaken me from my sleep?" Ave asked while glaring at me. "We need to go before we're late!" I said frantically while dragging her towards the door. "Late for what? We have work later," she complained. I smirked as I remembered the very convincing message I sent to Sherry explaining that I passed my stomach virus onto Ave and neither of us could go work. "No we don't," I sang as I dragged her the rest of the way to the door. "Wait up, Sky. Where are we going?" she asked while still half asleep. I stopped and turned around cautiously. "Girls day out," I answered sheepishly. Ave's eyes widened and a look crossed her face.

"No way, Sky. I'm not going to go do girly things all day," she said sternly.

"But you love girly things!" I argued. Aver gave me one of her looks and crossed her arms. Ok, maybe that's a lie. Avery may be really loud and preppy while with me but she's far from girly. "It's not really girly. Just trust me please? Do it for me?" I gave her my best puppy-dog face. Ave just gave me a look, indicating that I looked stupid. "Fine I'll go. Just don't make that face anymore. You look like a receptionist at a weird motel that got too many lip injections," she said while giggling a bit. "Well that was easier. I thought I was going to have to use my backup plan on you," I said while I pulled her to the kitchen.

"I don't even want to know," she mumbled under her breath. "Just grab your car keys and let's go," I said quickly while looking at the clock on the wall. It was already 9:15 and I wanted to stop somewhere for a quick breakfast. "Don't I need to get changed?" Avery pointed to her Pajamas. I shook my head at her and dragged her towards the door where my purse and duffel bag were already waiting for me. Avery seemed kind of excited when we arrived at the spa. We started off with a quick massage and then moved on to our nails. The entire time we talked about future plans, gossip and rumors we heard at school, and our families. I mentioned her getting a boyfriend a few times, but she said she just wasn't interested in any guys from school or work. She technically wasn't lying. Everything was going smoothly until it got to the time where we would get a hair cut.

"There is no way in hell that I'm going to cut my hair," she stated while crossing her arms. I knew this was going to happen. "Just a bit more than your usual trim Ave," I attempted to make it sound better. She continued shaking her head. "Please just do something a little bit different? Please Ave, just a bit of hair," I begged and got on both knees. Ave looked at me with a raised eyebrow before huffing. "Fine," she said, dragging out the word, while rolling her eyes. "But only because it's getting colder and I don't want to deal with it."

Avery kept sinking into her chair the whole time. I just got two inches cut off of my hair and got my bangs cut so they could go on either side since they had grown out enough. The hairstylist decided to die my hair a few shades darker and also straighten it.

Avery on the other hand decided to just cut an inch and a half off and straighten it. She grimaced when she heard the sound of the scissors cutting through her black hair. "It's not that bad," Avery said while holding her hair as we went into the changing rooms to put on our clothes. I smiled at her smugly, which made her stick her tongue out at me.

"Today was surprisingly fun," Ave said out of nowhere. "I've never been to a spa or salon before so this was cool," she said with a smile that I returned. "I'm glad you had fun Ave. You're my best friend and deserve to have fun," I said while zipping up jeans. We walked to the front desk to drop off our towels and locker numbers. "We hope to see you again in the near future girls. Have a nice day," the desk lady said before returning to her paperwork.

"Wait, you already paid?" Ave asked me with wide eyes. "Yup," I answered. "Well technically I did. I used the vouchers I won from last year's semi formal. They were going to expire on the last day of the year anyways." Ave shook her head and smiled. "Are we going home now?" She asked me. I shook my head at her. "We're going shopping."

~~~

"I can't believe I let you convince me into getting that dress," Avery said as we threw all of the shopping bags on the sofa. "Well you better believe it because you're going to wear it during our vacation," I said excitedly. Our parents always said that they would let us go on vacation alone when we were in senior year, and that's exactly what we're going to do for winter break. "Please don't tell me you're going to make me go clubbing with you," she whined. I shook my head quickly while grinning. Avery sighed and plumped down onto the sofa. "Is Dan going with us?" She asked. I never thought of inviting him. "I didn't invite him. If I did Luke would probably come too," I said casually, forgetting about them dating in secret. "That's actually a good idea. You only see him for real on weekends and you guys should have fun. And you can't get in trouble because they'd technically be on vacation with each other. I think you should invite them," she said while smiling. I smiled back.

"You're such a great best friend Ave," I said before hugging her. "No, you are," she said which made us giggle. "Which is why you can trust me with anything. Even if it's something you may think I bad, or even shameful," I said, slowing down towards the end. Avery sent me a look of confusion, which turned into guilt really quickly. "I do trust you. I tell you everything," Ave lied before bringing the bags to her room. "We need to tell Luke and Dan about the vacation soon if we want to get a good package for four!" I yelled after her. There were always awesome deals in the newspaper every morning so if we booked a vacation right now, we could get cheap tickets and a great hotel too. "I'll look at the website from the paper and you can call them soon. Let's decide where we want to go first," Ave said, reappearing into the living room.

"Hmm, I like the sound of something exotic. What about Hawaii? Most people go to Cuba and Mexico so we wouldn't have to worry about seeing people from school there. Where do you want to go?" Ave walked back into the living room and thought for a second. "Jamaica and Costa Rica are nice as well, but I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. Will it be hot enough?" I frowned. "Shoot, it won't be. Let's look into Costa Rica," I answered. Ave nodded. "We've already been to a few islands anyways. Might as well go somewhere new." I clapped my hands together and called Dan. I asked him if he was going anywhere for winter break. Luke would be done writing his finals by the time our winter break started and he wanted to go somewhere hot. I invited them to go to Costa Rica with us. Dan seemed to really like the idea. He even said that he would make sure to ask all of his classes about where everyone is going for vacation so we won't run into trouble. If worst comes to worst we could always go to Dan's Grandmothers house in Brazil. Luke seemed really excited and said something about "Girls" and "Bikinis" before Dan made him go away.

By dinnertime Ave were exhausted so we ordered Pizza and watched a bit of television. We were bored, but it was still too early to sleep. An idea that Avery would love popped into my head. "Let's prank phone call Brittany," I whispered with a wicked smile. Ave smiled back at me evilly. We entered the private number code and called Brittany's cellphone number. Luckily she had an open profile on Facebook and her number was listed.

"Hello?" She answered. "I'm in your closet," I whispered with a deep, husky voice that would've scared the crap out of me. "Brody? I thought you went home after we finished?" She asked. Avery slapped her hands over her mouth while trying really hard not to laugh. "Brody's gone," I said with the scary voice, "And you will be too unless you open the closet." I was trying to hold my laughter in. "As if. You're probably just one of the boys," she said, but paused a bit. She was totally scared. "If you don't I'll kill you in your sleep with your favourite red thong," I threatened while making the voice sound even stronger and demanding than before. I knew that it was her favourite thong since it that always showed through her clothes. We heard Brittany gasp and start to breath quicker. 

"Which closet?" She asked quietly. I smirked before answering. "The one in your room," I replied darkly. We heard her footsteps before she finally spoke up. "Ok, my hand is on the handle. I'm going to open it in three seconds... three... two... one" she said and as soon as we heard the door creep open Ave screamed at the top of her lungs, sounding like she was coming straight out of a cheesy horror movie. Brittany screamed before and we heard a thump—probably from her falling on her little butt, before we hung up and burst into laughter.

"Oh my God! That was even better than Gertrude and the Blockbuster guy!" Avery said while laughing and slapping her leg. I couldn't breath from all of the laughter. We eventually ended up falling off of the sofa before we burst out laughing once again. Brittany had to be the most gullible person we'd ever called. "That was actually the best prank phone call I've ever done," Avery stated before waggling her eyebrows at me. I blushed, knowing at what she was getting at, before speaking up. "That was the funniest prank phone call I have ever done, but the best is when we called the dating service. Without that I would have never gotten to know Dan in the way that I do now and we wouldn't have come this far," I said with a smile.

Even though we're stuck in this stupid mess we'd eventually get out of it and be happy again. Hopefully. "And we wouldn't have met Luke which we love oh so much!" Ave said sarcastically, but smiled a bit. I nodded in agreement before a huge yawn escaped my mouth. "I guess we should hit the hay before we both can't get up tomorrow," Ave suggested. "Yeah, plus we didn't end up doing any homework," I stated. Crap, I'm going to have to get as much done as possible or I might get a detention. "Speak for yourself. I finished mine on Friday night," Ave said dismissively. I groaned, which made her laugh before we headed towards our rooms to finally relax for the night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 421 48
Coach Bucky Barnes has always been the type that didn't like to play by the rules. And that costed him everything in college, and made him have to gi...
686K 18.3K 56
Jordyn Harper falls for someone she never thought she would fall for; her young, new, gorgeous teacher, Mr. Evans. Copyright © 2014. All Rights Rese...
2.1K 75 68
So who will it be for this hopelessly unromantic girl? The brooding best friend? Or the young and unquestionably attractive substitute teacher? They...
178K 6.7K 32
***COMPLETED*** Sky's home life was a little piece of hell on earth. She often had to fight past the pain, but she always found a way to become stron...