Snow White and Seven Devils (...

By xxtypicalscorpianxx

After being away from her home for seven years, Allyson White is back. But nothing is the same anymore; her f... More

Introduction
Preface
(1) Homecoming
(2) Out of Awkward
(3) Perceptions
(4) He's the main actor
(5) The one with the scowl
(6) A collection of strange people
(7) Running in circles and walking on winding roads
(8) We keep colliding
(9) Date of tears and blood
(10) Liars, thugs and all things wild
(11) The word war
(12) Join the club
(13) Collisions
(14) Waist deep in trouble
(15) Worst First Day
(17) Trevor Jackson
(18) Anderson and Jackson
(19) Fall a little
(20) Hand
(21) Downhill
(22) Last and Lost love
(23) Staggering
(24) The hole in the road
Special Chapter: The boy with the scowl
(25) On the same road
(26) Anonymous D
(27) Marley Carson
(28) Letting, leaving
(29) Friend [FINAL]
SEQUEL

(16) Kind of, sort of

2.1K 138 20
By xxtypicalscorpianxx

16.

I was sprawled on the rug in Carmen's room, painting my nails. Carmen was organizing her wardrobe and discarding clothes for the thrift store. I had asked her to give some to me instead.

''Skirts? You never wear skirts.'' She said, throwing two in my direction.

''I like them, but I don't wear them.''

''That's what I am saying! I mean, you have such a nice body and you should be more outgoing with your clothes.'' I clicked my tongue. Dressing up wasn't my forte. Carmen said I had zero sense in fashion, which was probably true. I hadn't told her that the idea of dressing up the way she asked me to made me nervous.

''Ally, you've got nice legs. Look at my body, its too big! I wish I was like my mum Ugh!'' She threw two shirts in my direction and I sighed, setting them aside. Carmen's insecurities always drove me crazy but I had learned that no matter how many times I tried to tell her she was beautiful the way she was, it never worked.

Like I was the one to talk! Just last week, mom had gotten me such nice clothes but I had thrown them at the back of my closet.

''What I'm trying to say is, you should show off that killer body! Boys will go crazy.''

''I will go crazy.'' I corrected her, putting the cap on her nail paint and getting up from my spot. I assessed myself in Carmen's mirror as she began to neatly hang her clothes back inside.

My sleeves were too big for me, they covered my arms till my wrists and I wore dullest of the dull colour. Still, this felt nice and comfortable which mattered the most.

''I don't have anything against dressing up, like Hayley does, or Lila, that girl from your Biology class. But I know if I suddenly start now, people are going to talk.''

Carmen rolled her eyes, ''Can't say I disagree, people do talk a lot.''

''I am scared of whispers and stares.'' I whispered to myself, holding the black miniskirt against my body and staring at my reflection.

''Did you say something?''

''No''

I began to help her as well. Unlike my closet, Carmen's was huge. She had a lot of clothes, and not just clothes but a whole collection of shoes and bags and accessories. We decided to arrange everything with colour and I suggested her to keep the shoes out of the closet instead of jamming everything inside.

''Hey, I totally forgot to ask! Why were you and Aiden together during lunch? I was passing the hallways with Lee and Daniel and we all saw you guys. You were smiling.''

I gave her a reassuring look, ''Just club stuff, nothing else.''

''I don't see him hanging out with our members from your club like that.'' I heard her mutter and suppressed a smile. I hadn't told them about out puppet show. Now that Mr. Chapel had approved of the idea, I and Aiden were working on the project. Two weeks were too less, so we had to meet more often that I thought.

Lillian knew though, but I had asked her not to tell anyone else. I was sure Dale wouldn't tell either. He maybe an asshole, but I had specifically requested Lillian and she had assured me no one outside the club would know.

The thing was, I wanted them give them a surprise. All three of them. Even my mom. I planned to tell them on the day of the show and invite them to come and see us personally. The thought made me excited.

With every passing meeting and conversation, I had gotten more comfortable with Aiden. I still kept my distance with him and made an excuse every time he tried to invite me to coffee, but I talked to him freely now.

Though, there was a drawback in all this. Twice today, Hayley had passed me and had thrown me the dirtiest glare ever. The second time, she even pushed me a little on her way to the cafeteria. Apparently, Aiden's girlfriend wasn't happy with our association.

''Why are you looking at me like that?'' I asked Carmen, her eyes were narrowed,

''I saw the way Hayley was looking at you.''

''Whoa! You're too observant.''

''Ally, perhaps do you like Aiden Sullivan?'' I nearly dropped the clothes I was holding,

''Are you crazy!? Why would you think something so absurd?''

''I dunno, you guys looked way to friendly to me. And I know he is a totally eye candy, but I told you what kind of guy he is. I thought you liked Dale.''

I closed my eyes and dropped on her bed, ''Oh yeah, there was that time as well,'' it felt strange confessing it like this, as if the reality of mine and Dale's forever ruined relationship just hit me all over again.

Carmen scoffed, ''I knew it! When we were young, you used to write it all over your diary. And even when you came back, the way you were around Dale made it clear. He even asked you for a movie!''

'Only to humiliate me', I wanted to say, but just like a lot of things, I drank down the words before spilling anything to Carmen.

''Wait, did I have a diary like that?''

''Yeah, you used to write in it all the time. Don't you remember?'' I thought for a moment and then I suddenly recalled the diary she was talking about. I had forgotten exactly what was written in it, but the details of my crush on Dale were there. With doodles of hearts and flowers and everything.

But where was it now? I didn't remember seeing it in the stuff mom showed me when I came back. Maybe she threw it away?

''So, which one do you like? Dale or Aiden? I am really confused.''

''Daniel'' Carmen's eyes went wide. I tried not to laugh. In fact, my face was straight and my expression normal like I was telling her the newest rate of petrol, instead of the name of a guy I liked.

It was a joke though. I just wanted to see her reaction.

''D-daniel? You like him? But why?''

''Don't tell anyone okay, you're the only one who knows.''

Carmen was baffled, I could judge it from her expression and just like that I got another good idea. I had managed to make Daniel feel insecure with Lee, and I could do the same with Carmen. Just to see how jealous she got.

''He's got the nicest blue eyes ever and he's so cool. Every time I am with him, I feel butterflies in my stomach. When I am alone with Daniel, I get this crazy feeling and I long to touch him. Just once.'' I babbled on, remembering cheesy lines from romance novels I had read this summer.

''Ally, you never said anything.'' Her tone screamed jealousy and I quickly held her hand,

''You can't tell anyone! Not Lee or Lillian or Daniel okay?'' She nodded weakly and left to get coke for both of us. I watched her leave and grinned to myself. If Daniel found out I said something like this, he might gag.

When I went home after that, mom was sat in her office eating apple and reading a thick file with her glasses on. She took them off when she saw me coming,

''I thought you were going to sleep over at Carmen's place?'' I shook my head,

''Carmen has another test on Monday, she needs to study as well,'' I told her, ''mom, I wanted to ask you about something.''

''Go ahead, I'm listening.''

''Um, do you remember any diaries I left behind? They were all on the same kind of notebooks, with a flowery pattern and leather back.''

She rubbed her chin and thought about it for a moment, ''I don't remember. But there were two boxes that I gave to Dale. He said, you had his stuff with you...'' She was saying and I nodded absently.

Well that answered one question. Now I knew how Dale was aware of my long ago crush on him.

* * * *

''Chicken burger with fries and onions!'' Shane's voice rang in the kitchen and I hurried to grab the tray for table no three. The café was busiest during the hours Derrick had assigned to me. All tables were filled with people, Pamela told me that I lot of them were regulars here and always ordered the same stuff, making things easy for her.

Things were not easy for me though. I had managed to make so many mistakes in just two hours and Derrick's glares were getting hard to control at this point.

''I didn't order this.'' The pretty girl sitting on table number three said, giving me an annoyed look,

''Sorry?''

''I ordered an Americano.''

I gave her a horrified look. How many times was it already?

''Hello? Are you listening?''

''Is there a problem here?'' Derrick came up behind me, but I was too afraid to face him.

''Yes, I ordered an Americano...''

I went back inside the kitchen and looked at my notepad again. A big five was written on the page.

''Shit''

''Shit indeed.''

''I am sorry!'' I told Derrick with a desperate voice, hiding the notepad behind me, ''I thought it was for her.''

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, ''Its your second day here, that's why I am not kicking you out. But if you mess one more order, I am not going to hold back anymore.''

''I will try my best!''

''Yeah right!'' he snapped, ''how can a person be so bad at something? Are you crazy or what? I knew it was a mistake to hire a newbie like you.'' This was the tenth time he had repeated that statement, the blow was worse than ever.

''I am so sorry.'' I kept mumbling apologies but I could see that Derrick was done with me. And things didn't get better after that. I nearly tripped on a table twice, and had trouble understanding most of the orders. The menu was pretty easy but I still failed to do anything right.

My self respect was completely ruined and I hated that Derrick kept yelling at me after every single minute.

''Ally, can you get me a bag of baking soda and flour from the pantry? Kinda busy right now!'' Shane asking, motioning towards the stove. I nodded but stopped on my way,

''Wait, where is the pantry?'' I asked Lillian, who was wiping one of the tables with a clean cloth,

''Go around the back, you'll see a double door.'' She told me hastily, and moved on.

Thankfully, I didn't have any problem in finding the pantry. It had a passage through the back door and was connected to the kitchen and the outside; it was built separately from the café itself.

Even though I found it, it wasn't until I went inside that I realized I had no idea where the flour was kept.

The pantry was dark, with rows of several shelves, filled with all sorts of things, there were two large fridges on one side, which was probably where they kept cheese, milk and all that stuff. On the other side, I could see outline of tables and few chairs squeezed on top of each other.

''Where is it?'' I searched the light switch through the torch of my own phone but couldn't find it. After trying for a minute I realized I was running late and instead should focus on doing what I came here for.

''Flour, flour...'' I could see eggs, a whole lot of them through my torch. There was salt, sugar, all kinds of weird spices, sauces, plastic bags, coffee but flour was nowhere in sight.

I considered calling Lillian and asking her but I spotted it on the top of the third shelf. Putting my phone back in the pocket and using whatever little light there was, I dragged one of the spare chairs all the way to the shelf and stood on it. I wasn't too short, but I still couldn't reach the flour. I stood on my toes and struggled to reach my hand up. It touched the flour but I couldn't grab it.

''What are you even doing?''

I yelped and my foot twisted. A scream tore from my throat as the chair lost its balance and I fell on my back. Instead of falling on the floor and breaking my skull, strong arms wrapped around my waist and I fell on someone else's body.

Derrick's hand was firm on my waist, while other was on the back of my head, shielding me from the impact of the fall. We rolled on the floor and came to a halt – my body on top of his, my hand wrapped around his torso and my face buried in crook of his neck.

The first thing I registered was the dull throb in my head and the stinging sensation of my knees. Next, I was overwhelmed with his scent, the strong smell of male cologne and spices. We stayed like that for a minute, both of us recovering from the shock of the fall and then my lips brushed his neck and we both went very still.

I quickly tried to scramble away, nearly forgetting that he was still holding me, a little tightly than before, his fingers dug in my waist as I stared at his slightly widened eyes. My hair fell around us like a curtain, even in the darkness I could see the greens of his eyes, the intensity of his gaze and it burned through me.

Thump! Thump! Thump!

I was vaguely aware of my own heartbeat, but I didn't move anymore. With a sinking sensation I realize I didn't want to. Not with his hands in my hair, and my waist, not with his beautiful eyes holding mine in a gaze of such ferocity.

And then, ever so lightly, he removed his hand from my hair and touched my cheek, his finger tips gently brushed away a specks of flour that had sprinkled on my skin,

''You...why are you always so clumsy?'' He murmured.

''Why do you have such nice eyes? I am jealous.'' I uttered and just like that the spell was broken. Derrick's eyes widened and I mimicked his expression. He got up, shoving me away from his body and I landed a little distance away from him,

''Ouch!''

''W-what are you blabbering about?'' He demanded, looking as flustered as me and got up, dusting his clothes.

''Nothing!'' I shot, my voice came out defensive, ''I was saying that you are so un-clumsy, it makes me jealous.''

He was looking at everywhere but me, ''Get up and bring back flour. Thank God the bag didn't rip.'' He motioned towards the bag which was lying with the chair now, and I was relieved it was still intact, save a few portions splattering here and there.

And my cheek.

I groaned as I stood up and started picking it up. Not a pack, it was more like a sack and it was damn heavy.

I wished Derrick would help me; instead he just went towards the door and turned on the light, illuminating the pantry. It looked better like this.

''Ally! Shane is asking for-'' Lillian came in running, and stopped when she saw me struggling with the sack, ''oh, you found it!''

''Nearly wasted the whole thing,'' Derrick growled. Whoa! What a quick mood change. Just seconds ago he was acting like the gentlest person of the world.

''It's your fault!'' I snapped at him earning a glare, than realized I wasn't suppose to yell at him, ''I mean you scared me and it was already so dark.''

''Are you a kid or what?''

''Stop with this silly argument already!'' Lillian said to Derrick and came towards me, I watched with surprise as she heaved the sack up single handedly. What a strong girl!

''I will take it to Shane.''

''Thanks!'' I called after her as she left.

I smiled at her back and then went back to put the chair in its original place. That's when I noticed the thing lying on the floor and my smile froze.

''Oh no!'' I whined reaching from my cell phone which was now broken, I picked it up and held it in front of me, my mouth hanging open, ''what is this?''

''What are yapping about?'' Derrick asked, ''we need to go back!''

I showed him my phone, my face twisted in horror, ''I broke my phone! It was new! I can't believe I broke it.''

''Are you crying?'' He asked incredulously, ''I don't see any tears though.''

''My phone!'' I whined one again,

From his spot, he heaved a sigh and walked towards me. He reached forward and grabbed the remains, putting them in pocket of his apron,

''What are you doing?''

''I will get it repaired for you, now stop making that ugly face and come along.'' I watched his leave with a dumbfounded expression.

* * * *

For the second time I was lost.

If I had my phone with me, I would have known where to go by using my navigation system. But I stared at the intersecting roads and the rows of small shops and restaurants in confusion, trying to remember if I miraculously know this place.

I didn't.

I stared at the signboards and I realized I missed a turn. Well, it wasn't exactly my fault. It had been my second day only; I was still a bit unfamiliar with the roads.

Once I knew where I was, it made things easier. I had to take along route home. The problem was my phone. Since I didn't have it, I wouldn't be able to tell mom and she would end up getting worried.

I found a phone booth just a little distance away and began to walk towards it.

''Ally? Which number are you calling from?'' I could hear voices in the back which meant she was at the hospital,

''Phone booth, I wanted to let you know that it will take me a little longer to get home. I made a wrong turn.''

''Wait, I will come and pick you up. Don't wander around like that.''

''Mom, its okay. I am telling you because my phone broke and I have to get it repaired.'' I informed her; outside two men were waiting for me to finish my call.

''That's even more dangerous. I am coming to get you. Where are you?'' She insisted,

''It's literally gonna take me ten minutes to get back home. I will call you once I get there. Stop worrying, your hospital is not even near.'' She sighed on the other end,

''Fine then, but at least tell me where you are, just in case.''

After I hung up I began to walk back home, walking through streets I have never been to before. But I knew they led to the main road, so it was alright. Around two minutes of walking later, the street became narrower and in this part, there weren't a lot of people in sight.

I shivered in the night air and pulled my coat closer around me, humming and trying not to get worried over taking a wrong route again. There were rows and rows of small square houses, running parallel to each other. Some houses had their lights on while others were wrapped in darkness.

Narrow alleys webbed out in between some buildings, with no lights whatsoever and I tried not to look at them.

And just as I was passing by one, I froze as I heard a familiar voice.

''What are you gonna do now? Whine and beg?'' It was Trevor Jackson and for a second I couldn't move.

I could see him clearly for one second but then he vanished in the narrow alleyway and I heard a loud thud, as if someone was thrown roughly against something. A door probably?

In split second it occurred to me that he was hitting someone. I heard groaning, followed by a painful scream.

''How about I twist your pretty little neck right here?'' Trevor demanded from whoever he was attacking. I stood rooted to my spot, fear pulsing through me. An image flashed through my mind, Lee's arm and the scars on it.

What if he was hitting Lee?

''Ahhhhrggghh!!!'' Another hit, followed by few curses.

''Screaming like a girl now? Why don't you come wearing a dress next time?'' Trevor laughed at his own joke, ''hey, why are you not laughing? Am I not funny enough? Huh?'' Another hit. I wished I had taken mom's offer and let her come and fetch me.

Before I knew it I swallowed and my feet began to carry me towards the commotion. I walked slowly, hoping not to make any sound. Once close enough I hid behind the wall and sneaked a glance at them.

The victim was lying on the ground, bruised and bloodied. It wasn't Lee! I sagged in relief. Then felt guilty later. Lee or not, he was still a person. And he was being sued by Trevor like a punching bag. Scared out of my wits I simply looked as Trevor hit the man's sides, making me flinch every time.

And Dale was related to people like him? Trash like him? Not to mention that Lee's life was being made hell by this guy. I wished for a moment I could do something to stop this. But I was powerless and I was-

Thunk!

I froze, realizing in horror that the sound had come from me. My bag had fallen on the ground. My mouth fell open, looking at the contents that were spilled.

''Who's there?'' Trevor barked and I gasped, backing away.

I turned and decided to run instead of collecting my notebooks since saving myself was more important that my notes. I wasn't fast enough and it took him a little over a second to catch me.

I felt him grabbing my elbow and whirling me around. I screamed, trying to free myself from his strong grip but no one came to help me as he dragged me to the narrow alley. He threw me against the brick wall and caged me, putting his arms on either side of my head.

''Mouse?''

I was panting, my body in it's full blown panic mood. I couldn't utter a single word as his eyes went wide and than an unsettling grin formed on his face.

''I-I didn't see anything!''

His grin widened, ''Of course you didn't. I don't want my mouse in trouble, okay?'' I looked at him in pure horror. His mouse? When did I become his mouse? Why was I a mouse in the first place?

He grabbed my hand and began pulling me back to the road where all my things were lying. He bent down and picked up my notebook,

''What's this?'' He began to scan through it. I stared at him dumbly. Why was a kind-of-sort-of-gangster going through my notebook?

''I really won't tell anyone.'' I managed to say, hoping he would remove his hand from my elbow and let me leave quietly, oddly he did that.

''Lee Adams, isn't he your pal? I am sure you don't want me to er ... handle him, yet.''

''I wont tell anyone.'' I pleaded, earning another grin and then his face turned serious. I backed away and his narrowed eyes focused on me,

''Leave quietly,'' he held up my notebook, ''I'll keep this for now.''

*             *                    *                 *

You guys can now add me on goodreads! Just tell me you saw the link on wattpad and I will accept the friend request!

On the other note, I have made a blog/website, it's still newish so there isn't a lot of stuff. But I will be slowly improving it and adding posts. Its on tumblr (words-will-slay.tumblr.com)

Lastly if any of you are into manga/anime I also have a tumblr for that (mr-bushido.tumblr.com)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 4.7K 64
As soon as they walk in the door Ally's jaw drops and she sees a man at the bar. "I want him." Is all she manages to choke out. Spencer follows her...
1.4M 21.6K 25
Nina Greene has been crushing on her very best friend, Ethan Ford since they were kids, though he's unaware about her feelings. But in their sophomor...
695 26 24
Maybe it's fate, or just bad luck. But these two young adults continue to encounter obstacles as they try to find their way to happiness. Will they l...
277 35 31
Savannah is your typical quiet girl. She doesn't enjoy confrontation and she was always in the shadow of her greatest rival. Well that is after the d...