Mr. Popular and I

By thefreakoffreaks

"You and I both know that any girl would kill to be in your position, with me, right now." He smirks, knowing... More

Mr. Popular and I (Overview)
Chapter One - Officially Homeless
Chapter Two - The Parkers
Chapter Three - The Dickhead
Chapter Four - School's a Bitch
Chapter Five - Fast Driving
Chapter Six - Romeo & Juliet
Chapter Seven - Clumsy
Chapter Eight - Party Rockers...Or Not
Chapter Nine - No Bad Intention
Chapter Ten - River The 'Shepherd'
Chapter Eleven - Explaining The Story
Chapter Twelve - Hold Me In Your Arms
Chapter Thirteen - Home Alone (Part 1)
Chapter Fourteen - Home Alone (Part 2)
Chapter Fifteen - Home Alone (Part 3)
Chapter Sixteen - Unfortunate
Chapter Seventeen - Not The First To Know
Chapter Eighteen - Hope and Hospitals
Chapter Nineteen - 'Yum'
Chapter Twenty - Pure Bliss
Chapter Twenty-One - Mistakes
Chapter Twenty-Two - Homewrecker
Chapter Twenty-Three - Guilty
Chapter Twenty-Four - Don't Drag Her Into This
Chapter Twenty-Five - A Small Confession
Chapter Twenty-Six - Change
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Apologies
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Good Luck
Chapter Twenty-Nine - It's Complicated
Chapter Thirty - Milkshakes
Chapter Thirty-One - Unexplained Anger
Chapter Thirty-Two - A Question
Chapter Thirty-Four - Graceland (Part 1)
Chapter Thirty-Five - Graceland (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Six - Problems
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Forgotten
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Love
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Courage
Chapter Forty - She's So Perfect
Chapter Forty-One - Ruined Friendship
Chapter Forty-Two - Make Her Proud (Part 1)
Chapter Forty-Three - Make Her Proud (Part 2)
Chapter Forty-Four - Nick
Chapter Forty-Five - Gunshot
Chapter Forty-Six - The Colour Red
Chapter Forty-Seven - The Party
Chapter Forty-Eight - Blood Family
Chapter Forty-Nine - Together
Epilogue
Q&A
Published in French!

Chapter Thirty-Three - Trust

2.4M 54.1K 25.6K
By thefreakoffreaks

Lea

         River pulls up in his usual parking space outside the house. Today, there has been perfect weather; thus we've been riding with the car roof down.

And unfortunately, today has also been the day where I lose my hair-band, so I've had to wear my hair down this whole car ride. When the car comes to a stop, and no more wind can viciously attack my hair, I release a sigh of relief through my lips. I brush my wind-blown hair back with my fingers to get the loose strands out of my eyes and mouth.

As the engine dies, I'm reminded of the rectangular envelope, which rests on my lap, the sun brightens its already white colour. Inside, it beholds my mock exam results. Although the envelope is as light as a feather, it feels like a ton of bricks on my thighs.

I really, really, really need to open it. 

"I don't think your parents are home yet; you might as well just open it now." River says and gestures towards the envelope. He's amused at how nervous I am.

A gentle breeze brushes past us and manages to move the envelope slightly in my lap. Due to the adrenaline pumping through my body already, my hands automatically slap down onto the paper, stopping it from flying away with the wind. I glance from the paper squished under my hand, to River, who is still smirking at me.

"No, no, no, for the last time," I reply since this isn't the first time he's tried to get me to open my results. Lifting the envelope with my fingers, I clutch it to my chest, pressing it against one of Marissa's red tops. "My parents have to be with me when I open this." I finish.

A small chuckle swirls out of his mouth, "how come?" He raises one eyebrow, waiting for a response.

"Because..." I say, turning away from him to look else where other than his brown eyes.

He laughs, allowing his laughter to echo throughout the air lingering around us. The vibrations of which send chills through my veins, igniting my stomach with fire, which sets off a series of fireworks within me. I glance back at him, my eyes landing on his lips. The sight of them takes me back to this morning - the kiss, his hug, my legs around his waist.

Will you be my girlfriend?

River's soothing yet husky voice repeats in my mind, the words in a continuous cycle in my head. Me? His girlfriend?

You're blushing, Lea.

I quickly pull some hair out from behind my ear, in hope to hide my flushed face from River's view. To this moment, I'm still utterly shocked as to why River Parker would want me to be his girlfriend; Lea Wilson, the okay-looking girl with the okay-body. That's it, just okay, just average.

So why would he settle for average, when he can easily have so much better?

"So, are we going to sit here until your parents come? Or shall we go inside?" River interrupts my trail of thoughts.

         Giving him a quick look, I nod.

         "Let's go," he says, twisting his car keys out of the ignition and climbing out of the car.

         I replicating his movements, I get out of the car and wait for him to lock it. After, he stuffs his keys into his trouser pocket and joins me in walking towards the grand entrance door to the house.

         Everything today seems so much brighter, and it's not just the weather.

         I'm startled when River drapes his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side, and consequently molding our bodies together. Surprised by his sudden embrace, I take a small step back, but our bodies are still within a few inches of each other. His muscular arm loosens slightly but never lets me go.

         He looks at me, confused.

         "What's wrong?"

         To my disappointment, his arm drops to his side.

         Lea, you are the one who pulled away in the first place.

         Looking around us at the driveway, I say, "What if my dad sees?"

         "He isn't here, Lea." He states, rolling his eyes as a smile readjusts his lips. "And anyway, you're my girlfriend now." He winks, his grin widening when the words leave his lips.

         You're my girlfriend now.

         Just that phrase makes my cheek warm up. I can't help but grin like a fool, and I'm relieved when he smiles back at me.

         Slowly, he lifts his hand to my face, allowing his fingers to dust off some hair from my eyes. Then, after taking a step closer to me, his index finger strokes gently at my cheek.

         "You really shouldn't blush around me, because it really, really turns me on." River whispers in a low and sexy voice, his eyes focusing on mine.

         My breathe hitches in my throat, and it takes every ounce of strength in me not to cough into River's face – because that would obviously be disgusting.

         "See, there you blush again," River chuckles, continuing to stroke at my cheek, his proximity causing my breathing rate to increase.

         I swallow, nervous. "Then, if you want me to stop blushing, you should stop saying things that will make me blush," I respond, wearing a smirk.

I try to get my breath back calmly, without making it too obvious of how much his simple touch and words affect me so greatly.

         "But, I don't want you to stop blushing," he smiles. Lowering his hand to get a hold of mine, he pulls me forward with him towards the house. "You do know that your Dad is going to find out eventually?" River tells me.

         I sigh, "He's already suspicious."

         "Then why won't you just tell him, so that we don't have to sneak around?"

         "I told you already, as soon as exam season is over, I will tell him," I explain, we both climb the stairs together, side-by-side, his arm brushing against mine, as our hands remain intact.

         "And remind me again why you made this pact, or whatever you call it?" Although I'm not looking at him, I can tell that River is smirking as he says those words.

         I lick my lips, "He doesn't want me to get distracted."

         He laughs, which makes me want to laugh along with him. Using his free hand that isn't intertwined with mine, he pushes the strap of his school bag a little further along on his shoulder to secure it.

         "And your dad thinks that a boy would be a distraction for you?" River asks, once we finally reach the door. He lets go of my hand, to my dismay, unlocking it with his keys.

         "Like any dad would, yes," I reply.

         "And are you easily distracted by a boy?" River glances at me with his chocolate eyes, their beauty never gets old. The edge of his lip twitches upwards as he waits for me to answer.

         "No," I lie.  

The door clicks open, and River removes his keys from the lock, his eyes still fixed on mine. With a nudge, the door widens to welcome us in.

         "Okay, do you get easily distracted by me?" He asks once more; there's a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

         "No." I respond, a little too quickly.

         I think you're lying, Lea.

         His smile gets bigger, and I know he can see through my lie.

         "I think you do." He smiles.

         "And you are wrong," I retaliate, stepping away from him and into the house.

         I can hear him quietly laughing behind me, and I can sense his eyes on the back of my head, but I try not to turn around. Heading straight forward, to avoid having him see me this flustered, I start towards the kitchen.

         I really need a glass of water right now.

         "Where you going?" He calls after me through a smile.

         "The kitchen," I say back, throwing him a quick glance over my shoulder, before rounding the corner and striding in the direction of the kitchen.

         Entering through the already open door, I drop my school bag at the foot of the fridge and head towards the cupboard that holds the glasses. My ears pick up on River's footfalls behind me, following me. Opening the cabinet up, I reach for a glass; but suddenly, River's hand outstretches to stop mine.

         "I already told you this morning; there's no way I'm gonna let you come near the kitchen again." He says straight into my ear, sending goose bumps along my skin.

         Averting my eyes to stare into his, my breathing stops all at once when I realise how close we are. You would think that after having been this close to him several times before, like this morning, I would get used to it. I'm so not used to it.

         My hand drops, and consequently so does his. "Come on, move aside." He smiles at me. "What drink do you want?"

         "Water, please," I reply, taking a step back as instructed.

         He nods, taking that glass that I failed to reach, and placing it under the tap. I study his back as he opens the tap and lets the water rush down to fill up the cup, and I can't help but stare in fascination at the tall, well-built, broad-shouldered and gorgeous boy before me.

         A boy whom I can call my boyfriend.

         Turning the tap off, he spins to face me, a smile plastered on his face as his hand outstretches to give me my glass of water.

         "There you go," he says, and I take the water from him.

         "Thanks," I beam.

         Bringing the class to my lips, I open my mouth and pour the cool fluid onto my tongue, finishing it all in just two gulps. 

         "Do you want more?" He asks, amused.

         "No thanks," I smile.

         Stop smiling; he probably thinks you're a creep by now.

         Reaching out his hand, he takes the glass from my fingers and carefully places it at the bottom of the sink. Then, twisting his body to face mine, he takes the few steps forward towards me, closing the gap between us.

         While he inches closer to me, a grin starts to carve its way onto his face, an angelic one that makes me want to fly. Feeling the heat arise in both my cheeks at River's closeness, I cannot stop my breath from quickening. He brings his arms either side of my waist, and rests his hands on the countertop of the island behind us, enclosing me and pushing me up against its edge. He's cornering me, and I love every second of it. For the need to touch him, I place my hands on his firm chest as he edges nearer and nearer.

         "River? Lea? We're home!" Brenda calls from the entrance hall, causing River and me to jolt away from each other immediately.

         "Yoohoo! We want to see those results!" We hear her call again, her voice getting louder as her footsteps get closer.

         Clearing his throat, River calls back. "Coming, we're in the kitchen."

         Quickly, he turns to me, gentleness in his eyes.

         "Good luck," he whispers, "and remember, even if they're not what you want, those results don't prove anything about you. They're just letters on a piece of paper."

         I smile a genuine smile.

         "Wow, never knew you could be such an inspirational speaker," I smirk up at him, stepping backward to make my way out of the kitchen.

         "Yeah, you just killed it." He chuckles, watching me leave.

         And, as I step out of the kitchen, I let out a small laugh.

         ***

         My results were all A's.

         I would scream out of happiness, but I don't want anyone to think I'm weirder than I already am. After I opened up the envelope with my parents and exchanged hugs with each of them while they gave me my 'congratulations' and 'well done, honey, you've done well,' I headed upstairs to the guest room.

         And here I am, clasping the piece of paper with my four wonderful A's on them. From time to time, I take another peek at them, just to make sure that they're real, and won't convert into C's when I'm not looking. I scream inside, overly happy and proud that I managed to get these results.

         Now, you just need to make sure you get them in your real exams.

         After taking in a deep breath, and releasing it through tight lips, I head to the dresser on my right. On it sits a jeweled lamp, and a vase filled with pearl balls. Carefully, with the fattest smile on my face, I place the sheet of paper in between the lamp and vase and lay the envelope down beside it.

         Instantly, my head twists in the direction of the door when I hear three consecutive knocks. "Come in!" I call.

         Stepping away from the dresser, I keep my eyes on the door as the knob turns, and the unidentified person pushes it open. With a small smirk tugging at the corners of his lips, River enters the guestroom, shutting the door behind him.

         "So?" He asks, tilting his head a little to the side.

         "So, what?" I reply, a playful smile pulling at my mouth.

         "What did you get?"

         "Well..." I glance to my left, at the sheet of paper exposing my grades. "Wait, you never told me what you got."

         "You never asked," he strides towards me, halting a foot away.

         "I'm asking you now, tell me, and I'll show you mine." I stare him straight in the eye.

         "Five A's," he replies, rather smugly.

         My mouth drops, never did I know that River took five a-levels, did they even offer that at my school?

         "You...You're clever." I state.

         He scoffs, "you sound so surprised."

         "I didn't think you put much effort into school,"

         "I don't." He laughs.

         "Oh whatever, show off." I playfully hit his arm, rolling my eyes.

         "Your turn, what did you get?" And for a split second, his eyes dart to the piece of paper on top of the dresser.

         "Have a look for yourself," I say, gesturing towards it.

         His large figure moves swiftly towards the off-white dresser, and his head bows to get a closer look at the paper. Watching him closely, I notice a smile growing and widening on his face.

         "Fours A's, you're clever." He states, turning his head to face mine.

         I swear his smile is the most infectious yet the most heavenly thing I've ever seen. And, there is no doubt that I smile back, or more like grin back like a fool.

         He straightens himself,  regaining his full height – once again making me feel like an elf in comparison. Digging his hands into his pockets, he leans his hip against the dresser behind him; his eyes zoomed in on me.

         "So, what are you going to do to celebrate?"

         I shrug my shoulders, trying so hard to be as cool as possible under his intense eyes. "I don't know."

         "Do you want to come to Graceland with us?" He questions, his eyes narrowing inconsiderably.

         At this, my brain is on full alert.

         He invited me to Graceland.

         I can feel my heart beat stutter a little at his offer. But, unfortunately, the ecstasy doesn't last for so long. My parents would never let me.

         "Um...I don't think I can." I respond, disappointment shining through my tone.

         Only a little, I spot him clenching his jaw for a moment, before letting go. His eyebrows knit together as if he's in deep thought, and he's no longer looking at me, but instead at the floor a few feet in front of him.

         "Why not?" He asks, sounding pretty absent minded.

         "My dad probably won't let me."

         At this, he retains to meet my gaze. Taking out one of his hands from his pocket, he brushes his fingers through his messy hair, pushing some stray brown strands from his forehead. Then, his hand re-enters his pocket.

         "Okay," He exhales. "We'll think of something else to do."

         Without giving me an opportunity to reply back, he quickly walks the distance between us and brings his lips to my cheek. Following his delicate peck on my skin, I can't help but grin, and my heart can't help but leap with joy.

         "I'll see you later." He says warmly.

         He strokes my forearm for a second, letting his soft finger glide across my skin, his touch makes me shiver. Then, he turns on his heel and heads out of the guest room.

         I can never get used to this.

***

         River

         I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't know whether it's going to be of any good. But, I might as well try, right?

         Oh man, you are you kidding?

         Here I am, standing outside the living room, pacing around in a little circle meanwhile trying to sort out my conflicting thoughts. If I want Lea to come to Graceland, the only way she'll be able to come is if I ask her Dad's permission. Why am I so nervous about it though?

         Because he might just punch you for messing with his daughter.

         He isn't going to punch me.

         He might.

         Whatever, who cares, just do it. And without further ado, I open the door to the living room where Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are sat beside each other, both staring and examining some pieces of paper in front of them. When they hear my presence, they simultaneously look up to find me standing hesitantly in the doorway.

         "Uh...hi."

         Uh...hi. That's a great thing to say, well done.

         To make the situation even more cringe-worthy, I wave my hand at them. Mrs. Wilson looks a little confused, and I can tell by the way she's staring at me with questioning eyes. However, Mr. Wilson doesn't look that surprised; he's more annoyed that anything else.

         Since they're not saying anything, and simply staring at me, I break the silence.

         "Is it okay if I, uh, have a moment with you both?" I manage to blurt out. I patiently wait for their answer, rubbing at the back of my neck.

         Mr. Wilson clears his throat, searching my face for something to give away what I'm here for. After a moment of me standing immobile in the doorway, he finally gestures with his hand for me to take a seat directly opposite him.

         Carefully, I let the door shut and take the seat opposite Lea's parents. In the process, I notice that the pieces of paper before them are advertisements of flats for rent. 

         "What is it you wanted, sweetie?" Mrs. Wilson asks, kindly.

         Under the watchful eye of her husband, I start to speak.

         "Well, next weekend is a four-day holiday for our school, and it's almost tradition for most of the students to go to Graceland, as a sort of break for their efforts during exams." I swallow, knotting my hands together. "My friends and I will be going to Graceland, which is only a few hours drive from here, but we were wondering if there'd be any chance of having Lea come along with us?"

         Mr. Wilson leans back in his seat. "Absolutely not." He says.

         For a moment, allowing myself enough time to skim through my best persuasions in my head, I look between him and his wife.

         "Mr. Wilson, with all due respect, but I have not finished."

         "River, if you think that I'm going to let my daughter go off with a bunch of teenagers and get drunk at parties in a place that is so far away from us, then you're out of your mind." He finishes, piercing my eyes with his stare.

         "Mr. Wilson," I retaliate. "I can assure you that there will be no underage drinking, and I'm not intending on taking Lea to any parties. It will simply be a weekend of relaxation." I say. "Even her friend, Marissa, is going," I add without thought.

         Crap, Marissa isn't going. What are you doing, River?

         "I'm sorry, River, but I've already made my decision." Mr. Wilson states, averting his eyes away from mine, and refocusing on the papers before him.

         "Lea is a very smart girl, who works hard, and will not do anything a step out of line. She is responsible and trustworthy. She really wants to go, Mr. Wilson." I input, clinging onto what's left of the conversation before I lose it entirely.

         He lets out a sigh, itching the side of his head. "You're right; Lea is trustworthy. But it's not her that I don't trust." He doesn't look at me as he says this, but instead, he's more interested in the paper that he's holding.

         "You don't trust me, sir?" I ask, knowing the answer.

         He stays quiet, glimpsing up from the sheet towards me.

         "If you don't trust me, then I completely understand. But you should know that I will not do anything to hurt Lea, she has become a very good friend of mine."

         I keep my eye contact with him, hoping to prove to him that I'm not a wimp.

         "How long is this trip?" Mrs. Wilson questions, making my eyes dart to hers.

         "Three days."

         "And where will you stay?"

         "A hotel, a very secure one at that."

         "And how will you get there and back?" She fires another question at me.

         "By car, we'll be taking two; it'll be my friend and me driving."

         She nods, understandingly. Turning to face her husband, she places her hand on his knee to get his attention.

         "Darling, I think she should go." She tells him, and suddenly a weight seems to lift off of my shoulders. I want to smile, but it's too soon for that, considering Mr. Wilson's deep-in-thought expression.

         He looks at his wife, then at me, then back at his wife. Glancing down at the paper trapped between his fingers, he slowly sets it down on the table, and then he settles further back into his seat.

         It's unbearably quiet for far too long.

         "River, can I truly trust you?" He finally speaks in the faintest tone.

         I swallow, nodding. "Yes, you can, sir." 

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

402K 18.6K 22
"I'd always liked my life. It was quiet, under control, and routine. Then he came along and showed me how much more there was, how much more I was." ...
46 1 25
*2nd book in this series* *Contains adult themes* Paige Thompson and her friends are In their Junior year of high school!! Paige is having fun, But j...
14.1K 775 12
Holly Halliday only had two important things in her life. One was her art and the other was her best friend Gabriel Colton. Starting school for thei...
2.2K 74 35
People say when you love something, it's hard to stay away no matter what; it could be a deadly disease and you still won't be able to stay away. Fro...