Beauty is a Beast

By writer_gone_wild

Kat Howlett is a vigilante. She has had her powers for a long as she can remember, which isn't a very long ti... More

Chapter 1: Bank Robbers and New Teachers
Chapter 2: A Game of Kat and Mouse
Chapter 3: Shawarma Anyone?
Chapter 4: Luna the Huntress
Chapter 5: SHIELD and the Avengers Initiative
Chapter 6: At Avengers Tower
Chapter 7: Gwen's Bright Idea
Chapter 8: Talks of Redemption
Chapter 9: Hidden Island
Chapter 10: Training and Parties
Chapter 11: Mjolnir and Worth
Chapter 12: Drugged
Chapter 13: A Hero's First Day
Chapter 14: The Gum on Gwen's Shoe
Chapter 15: Ghost of the Past
Chapter 16: The Nightclub Blues
Chapter 17: A Lesson in Lying101
Chapter 18: Can't Be Caged
Chapter 19: Hallucinations
Chapter 20: Chit-Chat
Chapter 22: One and the Same
Chapter 23: The Hulk Isn't the Only Green One Around
Chapter 24: Jail Break
Chapter 25: The Asgardian King
Chapter 26: The Asgardian Queen
Chapter 27: Taylor's Message
Chapter 28: Warrior Wolf
Chapter 29: Asgardians vs Varulv
Chapter 30: Four Words That Kill
Chapter 31: Avoidance and Love Affairs
Chapter 32: The Pact
Filler Chapter: Trip to the Grocery Store

Chapter 21: On The Loose

4.6K 257 66
By writer_gone_wild

*Kat's POV*

With an optimistic ding the elevator door opened to the pent house. The first thing I did was walk to the bar to throw my note away if it was still there. Can you believe my luck?

I snatch the piece of paper and shoved it into my back pocket. Hey, maybe I'll get through today without having to lie or be lied to. That would be something.

I strolled around the top floor to see if anyone was there, but I came up empty in my search. When I ended up in the kitchen last my stomach growled, demanding to be filled.

Let's see my options: Go tell everyone that I went to visit the person who we all loath and put in a cell just the other day, or eat some of Dr. Banner's famous pasta that was left over.

I will tell you something that will never change about me. When I am faced with the options to be scolded or to stuff my face, I will always choose the latter. And that's how Tony found me, sitting on the counter with my cheeks puffed out, my mouth overflowing with noodles, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

I managed a small, innocent smile when he gave me a disgusted, yet impressed look.

"How much can you fit in that mouth of yours?" he question as he made a pot of coffee.

I swallowed before I answered, "Let me put it this way, I could smoke the Hulk in a game of Chubby Bunny."

Tony shook his head and swore under his breath and he poured the contents from a flash into his coffee.

"You want creamer with your liquor?" I teased.

"If you wouldn't mind, yes, please?"

I laughed as I hopped off the counter and pulled the creamer out of the fridge.

"What are your plans for the day?" Tony asked as I handed him the creamer.

Grabbing my bowl, I shrugged my shoulders, "Not sure yet. But I'm feeling confident. How about...world domination?"

"If those are your plans then you'll need a bigger breakfast."

"Or crack in my coffee?" I pointed out as he went to drink from his mug.

My comment made him snort into his mug, causing me to wince at how painful that would be if it came out of his nose.

"Whatever works." he laughed.

I liked these little domestic moments I have with them. Talking to Tony in the kitchen because we're the first ones up. Working out with Steve in the gym. Gossiping with Natasha about stories in magazines. Reading with Loki in the living room while we try to ignore Thor and Clint playing video games a little too loudly. And how could I forget geeking out with Dr. Banner about Doctor Who while Logan rolls his eyes at us from behind his newspaper.

There will come a day when I won't have this and its coming around the corner too quickly. Even more so with the new information I have from Sabertooth. There's no denying that Taylor is alive and plotting against me, this time I know that he's actually working with the Dark Elves. And what was that all about since they killed my people? I got away from what exactly? How long have the Dark Elves been looking for me?

Tony must have noticed the uneasiness on my face because he spoke up about it.

"Hey, you okay, kiddo?"

He looked so worried about my well-being that it made my heart hurt slightly. To have to add someone else to my list that might get hurt at the end of all of this.

A wave came over me. I don't know what had happened but it was so sudden and so fast that I was shocked when I couldn't move or feel the ground under my feet. Or control the words that came out of my mouth.

"I'm fine. I just remembered that I have homework to do before I go back to school." I heard myself speak.

"Oh, come on, Kitty. It's Spring Break. Time for fun, not homework."

"Well the sooner its done the more fun I'll have."

Tony nodded but suddenly frowned when he looked into my eyes.

"What's up with your eyes? They're almost...gold."

The next thing I know I'm looking at my reflection in the mirror over the back wall of the kitchen. Tony was right, my eyes were completely gold, which could only mean one thing.

"It must be the light. It happens sometimes," The Beast shrugged it off. "Hey, I'll catch you later. I should go get some work done."

Tony called a goodbye to me...her...us?

You better let me out right now!

She only laughed at my threat as she stepped into the elevator. The doors closed, allowing me to see myself again. My eyes were a bright gold, almost as bright as the sun without changing to a pure yellow.

Or what? You can't hurt me without hurting yourself. Besides how will you take control?

She was right. While she was talking I had been trying to break free.

It's my turn to take the reins.

******************

She had complete and utter control over my actions. After the elevator had opened I noticed that we were on the floor that Logan and I shared. She went straight to my room and changed, putting my catsuit on before slipping on a pair of skinny jeans and a flannel shirt in order to hide the black material underneath. She threw on my combat boots before slipping my mask and belt into a small backpack and getting out the door to make a break for the garage.

Oh, no. She had the intention that she was going to ride Stella out of here. I fought with every fiber of energy that I had but it was no use, she was too strong. Whatever Professor X did to me was not helpful at all.

It sure helped me.

She was taunting me and I hated it, especially because she sounded exactly like me.

That's because we're one and the same, Kat. When are you going to realize that?

Give me my body back!

Sorry, sweet cheeks, that's not happening anytime soon.

Our internal conversation came to a stop when the doors opened and we came face to face with Steve.

"Morning, Kat." he smiled with that boy-next-door charm.

"Hey, Captain." I could feel her smile at him as we stepped out of the elevator.

"Where you heading?"

"Just into town. I need to get away and think for a bit."

He nodded, "I get that way sometimes. Any idea of when you'll be back? We need to train today."

"Can't it wait for tomorrow?" She made my hand move to his arm as her smile turned flirtatious. "I mean, I've got things to do and you certainly don't need it."

She squeezed his arm as to hint to what she was saying.

Oh, heck to the no!

She was using my body to flirt with Steve. He was like an older brother to me, surely he would notice that this wasn't like me and help me. I was proved wrong when I noticed that his cheeks turned slightly red and he rubbed the back of his neck with the hand that the Beast wasn't holding captive.

"I guess we can move it to tomorrow, but it definitely needs to be done then."

"Thanks, Cap." she leaned up and kissed his cheek before releasing him to move towards Stella.

"Be careful out there!" Steve waved as she threw her leg over my bike.

"I'm always careful." She winked at him from under the helmet, that I didn't know she put on.

She flipped the visor down and peeled out of the garage, leaving anyone who could have helped me behind.

Don't worry, Kat. We'll be fine without them for a while. It might even be healthy for you to get out.

I was scared to know exactly what she planned to do with my body.

****************

I had been out of the Tower for a total of 13 hours, having left around 10 am and it being 11:13 pm. She dragged me all over the city, wherever someone needed help, surprisingly. We had stop a bank robbery, three thieves from stealing from people on the street, and climbed a build to stop a guy from jumping. All dressed up as Luna, which I was thankful for. I guess she didn't want my identity out there either.

Now, I was back in jeans and a flannel, hustling a grown man at pool while I drank an unending supply of beer. Alcohol had no effect on me whatsoever, either that or I had a very high tolerance of the stuff because the Beast had downed about five or seven bottles. I lost count after a while.

"A beer." My mouth had said when the bartender had asked what I wanted.

"How old are you kid?" he asked, looking me up and down.

"That's very kind of you, sir. But I'm 30." My hand slid him the two bills.

He looked around before taking it and handing me a freshly opened bottle.

"Thanks."

After I had drank two, a group of guys came in and started a game. After one more, I had challenged them to a game.

"Look, sweetheart, that's cute of you to think you can take it, but let's be honest. You've just had too much to drink." the biggest of them all had talked down to me.

Oh, yeah. Did I mention that the Beast was also pretending that I was drunk? This thing was a great actress. And I hated it, but was oddly impressed.

I had sank most of my balls while the big guys had only three against me. The Beast maneuvered my body over the table to get a good shot of the 8 ball, while the big guy checkout my rear end.

I'm gonna need at least 60 showers to get this feeling off of me.

She sank the last ball and stood up to collect her payment.

"We'll look at my luck." She made my voice slur as she used it for her own purposes. "Pay up, buck-o."

The guy's eyes nearly bugged out of his head. He demanded a rematch as he handed over the money, but a scream from outside made any further discussion come to a halt. Everyone rushed outside to see the commotion going on. A crowd was gathered outside already and was... running away?

A giant lizard was running around the city and none other than the infamous Spiderman was fighting it. The Beast made me retreat into an alley and take off my civilian clothes to be shoved in the bag and pulled out my mask and belt.

Once the bag was tucked away and she was about to jump out of our hiding place, I stopped her.

Wait!

What? I thought you liked to help people.

I do but what if someone saw me run into this alley and then someone comes out that looks exactly like me but with different clothes?

Good point.

She climbed up the fire escape to my right and I had déjà vu of doing the same when Kraven attacked the city. That was the night that changed my life. The next day I was an Avenger in-training.

Once on top of the building, she jumped off, landing on my feet. Spiderman had just been thrown against the car by the lizards tail, its back to me. The Beast ran forward and grabbed its giant tail. She used all of our strength to swing him around and threw him into the side of a brick wall.

"How do you like being thrown around like a rag doll?" she yelled at it, my voice modified to come out distorted.

The lizard was still recovering when she grabbed Spiderman's arm and helped him up.

"You good?"

"Yeah, thanks."

"It's what I do."

When she turned my head back to the lizard, it was getting back to its feet.

"Shall we?" she asked, motioning to the thing that was running toward us now.

"Be careful, that's a friend of mine."

"You've got to make better decisions." she said before summoning my claws and running towards the giant lizard.

Before she even made contact the lizard was help down with spider webs.

"That's not careful!" Spiderman reprimanded.

"Fine." she spat before grabbing my gun and shoving tranquilizing darts in it.

"This will just put him to sleep." she explained, before shooting a couple into the lizard before it stopped moving and fell unconscious.

"I need one of those things." Spiderman laughed as the Beast stored the gun back into my belt.

"Good luck with all of this. I gotta go."

"What's the rush?"

"I'm kinda late for curfew." she smirked at him.

She ran down an alley and before I knew it we were hopping from building top to building top. We were back at my bike not 10 minutes later and I was curious to what we would do next.

You're not bad, are you?

I had been thinking over her actions all day and trying to figure her out.

I'm glad you finally realized this.

Then why did you try to hurt people on that day? They wanted to help.

Did you really want their help?

I didn't respond, so she kept going.

Kat, you were grieving over Oliver and so was I. I loved him too, you know. You didn't want them around you so I tried to help with that. I'm here to guide and protect you.

Why haven't you tried to explain that?

Because you bury me so deep most of the time and whenever I've been able to talk I'm angry at whoever you're around or I'm trying to help you.

Like telling me that I love Loki?

Because you do love him!

I decided to ignore that comment.

Give me my body back. I need to go back to the Tower and talk with my team.

You just want to be in control again.

She actually growled when she said that.

I really don't. I'm sorry that I never listened to you, but after that scare and then all those nights in the dungeon I didn't want to risk anything. I promise to listen to you from now on as long as you don't possess me again. It's freaky.

"Kat?" A voice stopped the Beast from responding.

She turned my head to see Logan and the rest of my team suited up and staring at me like they had no idea who I was. The Beast put my helmet back on the seat of Stella and turned my body towards them.

Give me control back so I can talk to them.

She didn't answer and I questioned if she had heard me. She focused my eyes on Loki, allowing me to know that she had another idea in her mind. She made a smirk appear on my lips as she pulled my gloves higher on my wrists.

"Do you really want Kat back?" she teased as she slowly approached the group.

Don't touch them!

Just because I understood her part in this doesn't mean that I completely trust her.

"Yes." Logan growled, making me realize that he had never actually had a conversation with the Beast.

"That's a shame," she faked a pout as she got closer to Loki. "Because I know why I calm down every time the Mischief Maker comes in contact with Kat."

Her movements were graceful but animalistic, like a wolf playing with her prey. No one dared to move, not knowing what she would do and not wanting to hurt me.

Well, what did you think I am? A squirrel?

You're an actual wolf?

"Why?" Loki demanded, interrupting our internal conversation.

"I'm surprised you haven't thought of it yet. You of all people."

By this time she had reached Loki and was toying with him, making my gloved fingers climb up his chest playfully.

"You've read all of those myths about our people and you're still clueless," my hand suddenly grabbed Loki's collar and pulled him closer to my face. "Figure it out."

The Beast pulled him forward and planted my lips on his, making her go back into my head. I felt my full body weight back in my control, throwing me off and causing me to pull away. I would have fell on the ground if it hadn't been for Loki's quick reflexes. He wrapped his arms around me and I tried to pull myself up, unsuccessful in my actions.

My guess is that my eyes had returned back to brown because I felt Loki relax instantly when he looked into my eyes.

"Welcome back." Loki joked.

"Thanks," I made a sorry excuse for a laugh. "Do me a favor?"

"What?"

"Make sure my bike gets back to the garage."

With that, I closed my eyes, exhaustion taking over my body from the events of today.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 1.8K 21
When Ayda Dupoint was born, her parents knew she was special, after all, she was their miracle. At the age of 10, they found she had magical power. T...
168K 4.8K 21
What happens when you give a fourteen year old boy wolf like abilities in New York City, a city well know for their superheroes? A very controversia...
50.4K 1.3K 39
Raven, 24 years old, ex well train military and spy living in Washington DC, ex assassin, taking care of her two nephews, now boxing in illegal fight...
5.2K 59 25
Natasha Romanoff has a little sister no one knew about until the avengers initiative. she has many powers, she was considered dangerous until taken i...