Queen of Spades (House of Car...

By Trewest

{For those who HATE student/teacher stories, TRY THIS ONE ANYWAYS. I dare you to read it and say it was a was... More

Queen of Spades
The Fool
The Magician
The High Priestess
The Empress
The Emperor
The Hierophant
The Lovers
The Chariot
Strength
The Hermit
The Wheel of Fortune
Justice
The Hanged Man
Death Card
Temperance
The Devil
The Tower
The Star
The Moon
The Moon (Adult)
The Sun
The Sun (Adult)
The Sun Continued
Judgement
The World
Ace of Cups
Ace of Cups (Adult)
The Bachelor Party (Malcolm's POV)
Two of Cups
Seven of Cups
Page of Cups
Knight of Cups
Knight of Cups (Adult)
Three of Cups
Nine of Cups
Two of Swords
Seven of Swords
Three of Swords
Three of Swords (Adult)
Five of Swords
Seven of Wands
Eight of Wands
Eight of Wands Continued
Ten of Swords
Page of Wands
Knight of Wands
BONUS CHAPTER: The Gala Stuart's POV

Queen of Pentacles - Epilogue

229K 5.6K 1.4K
By Trewest

A/N: I am rather sad that this is it for QoS. On Wattpad that is. See.... I'm planning on editing this (because as you all know, I haven't thus far and it NEEDS spell check!), adding back in some of the chapters I dropped (like the rest of the Mexico trip, and more details from Prom, the attacks, more flashbacks of Alice's past etc....), and MAYBE trying to tweak the steamy scenes to work back into the story, and then I'm trying to get the whole kit and kaboodle published. That's right, I am gonig to try and bring you folks Alice and Malcolm via dead tree format. Why? Because this has been so much fun to write, and I think that even though it is cliched in places, that the story and spirit of it are worth sharing. I'm just optimistic like that.

So I'd like to hear from you guys, what exactly would you like to see worked into a longer, more fleshed out novel format? Some flashbacks of Alice's dad, a more graphic glimpse into her life with the Walter's pre-running away? How about a big of Malcolm's own past getting a flashback? I'd like to know so don't be shy!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Alice couldn't help but feel the prickle of tears in her eyes as she saw the tender expression on Malcolm's face as he cradled the infant's tiny head. She was only a few weeks old at this point of time, but she was already beautiful and had the dark, thick hair of her father. The newest little Vega squirmed in Malcolm's big hands and let out a huge yawn as she settled down for her nap.

A gnarled hand patted Alice's shoulder and she followed the wrinkled skin up to see Abuela smiling down at her, her always warm and welcoming eyes filled with humour. "Movimiento inteligente, que a practicar con otra persona primer bebé." she joked, making Alice grin. (Smart move, having him practice with someone else's baby first). Ace looked down at her own swelling abdoment, tapping on it like a watermelon.

"¿Por qué no? Bonita y José definitivamente podría utilizar el tiempo libre para ponerse al día en dormir un poco. Y creo que Malcolm es todavía un poco aturdido por la idea de que en tres meses que va a ser la celebración de su propio hijo o hija." Alice admitted with a shrug. (Why not? Bonita and Jose could definitely use the time off to catch up on some sleep. And I think Malcolm is still a little stunned at the idea that in three months he's going to be holding his own son or daughter).

"Y que está más fresco rocío de la mañana." Abuela complimented with another pat to Alice's shoulder. (And you're cool as morning dew). That was true enough, Ace agreed ruefully. After all the emotions and turmoil that had led up to her last days as a highschool student, Alice was more than a little amazed that she was handeling her pregancy and impending motherhood so calmly. Part of it was the knowledge that her own parents had been even younger than she was now when they had gotten pregnant with her. And even though her mother had died during childbirth, Alice knew that she would have been an excellent mother. And her father had been young, but a perfect father, as much as he could given the circumstances. Part of her calmness was a growing feeling of serenity, and she knew that was just the pregnancy hormones trying to convince her that the pain she'd endure later is worth the effort. But even Ace had to admit that she just wasn't terrified of the prospect of becoming a mother. In a few days she was going to start classes to become a vet, and even though the baby was expected in December, she had already arranged with the school to have her continue her studies from home, taking her classes online since she would be taking care of a new born at the same time. Malcolm had offered to take a sabbatical from teaching to help out, but Alice had told him to keep it and just use paternity leave after six months, so he could take over while she started to go back to school.

A smirk hit Ace's lips as she realized that all their careful planning was probably useless as once this baby came, their lives would be filled with chaos. And she couldn't wait. "Por lo que está decidida a casarse antes de la llegada del bebé?" Abuela asked, taking a seat next to Alice. Malcolm was still cooing at his drooling little cousin. (So you're determined to get married before the baby arrives?)

"Si." Alice nodded, smiling. (Yes). Everyone thought she was right mad for that too. Salali understood somehow though. So Malcolm had agreed to Alice's request and they were trying to throw a wedding together before she gave birth. Trying to plan a wedding in less than six months is no easy task, and the only reason it was working at all was the fact that Alice was an easy to please bride-to-be. Her guest list was short, her friends and Salali, Monster and a photo of her parents.

No one was surprised when Salali and West announced that they were both walking Alice down the aisle to give her away. Of course West joked that they were both necessary because by the time for the wedding arrived, Alice would need the help waddling down the aisle. And Salali had been as good as her word and already found a wedding dress that worked with Alice's heritage and her baby heavy body. It was white doeskin and had the beaded fringe of her Native mother's culture. The loose dress was caught around hte waist by a vividly blue beaded banding that Salali had made sure tucked under Alice's bust and over the belly. {A/N: see the dress to the side, which is completely lovely btw} Instead of having on the britches underneath though, Alice decided to go bare legged as she really didn't fancy trying to pull up trousers over her growing basketball of a belly. Malcolm hadn't seen it yet, though he knew Salali had found a Native style dress.

Malcolm's own guest list was significantly larger than Alice's. Even though his parents had disapproved of their relationship and engagement, they had quickly unthawed when they heard about her attack and Malcolm's defence of her. In fact Malcolm's father had reached out to Alice himself to try and see if she could help Malcolm recover from his self loathing. When they found out that not only were they engaged but Alice was pregnant, they offered to let the couple move in with them if money became an issue. Ace had nearly laughed herself sick when his friends from the strip club oh so long ago came to meet his bride-to-be and recognized the stripper from his birthday. THAT had spurred a very long night of drinking and explanations from Malcolm, and Alice had given him no sympathy the next morning when he had a big head.

Picking a venue that suited both bride and groom, and accomodated their specific needs was difficult, neigh impossible in fact, until West browbeat his father into helping and secured for them one of the ballrooms at the Embassy. If it had been summertime, both Alice and Malcolm would have opted for an outdoor wedding, her because then she could go barefoot, him because he was a natural outdoorsy person. But it would be a Canadian winter when they tied the knot so it had to be indoors.

The biggest surprise and most heart breaking moment for Alice had occured not too long ago in fact. Stuart attacking her, Malcolm killing him in self defence, the Walter's legal case and all the media attention gathered thereupon had led to an older couple contacting Alice through the SSA. Her grandparents, her father's parents, had finally found their estranged grandchild. Things were still very new to both the elder Spades and Alice, they were carrying a lot of guilt and Alice was a little stunned at having blood family after all the years of foster abuse, but it was a work in progress. She'd invited them to the wedding, and let them know that they were welcome to meet their great grandchild when the time came. Apparently after Alice's parents had run away to be together, her father's parents had tried to locate them but lacked the resources to do so. When Alice's father had died, he hadn't listed his family as next of kin, so no one had ever known that she should have gone to them and not into the system. It made Alice wonder if her maternal grandparents were still alive, and if so, would they want to meet her. She was learning about her heritage through Salali, but she was also hoping to learn something of her own mother.

Malcolm looked up from cradling his cousin and caught Alice watching him. He smiled at her and she could see the warmth and excitement swirl in his dark eyes. Despite his words to West so many months ago about not being ready to be a father yet, he seemed more than eager now that it was happening. "Te quiero." he said softly, not wanting to wake the baby. (I love you).

Alice smiled at him, knowing he meant it, and that even if things weren't always fairytale perfect in their lives, his love would always be there. "I love you too." she replied, flushing a little as Abuela chuckled at them good naturedly.

"Any regrets?" Malcolm asked her, an eyebrow arched in challenge.

Alice looked around the room at Malcolm's family. His parents were giving advice to the tired and frazzled Bonita and Jose in the kitchen, his grandmother was stooping over to pet at Monster's huge head, the now massive dog docile as long as Alice stayed within eyesight, and Malcolm himself was cradling the little infant Esperanza. The stitches in her face and shoulder had come out months ago, leaving a set of red scars that faded to pale lines, mute testimony to the troubles she survived. Malcolm's own scar tissue now twinged whenever there was foul weather coming, and she still had nightmares almost nightly.

"Not at all." Alice replied, meaning it completely. Their life together might not be perfect, and she knew that it would not be smooth sailing even though the worse of her life seemed to be behind her. But it would be a life she found worth living, all because she took the risk to fight for what she wanted. Freedom, safety, happiness and love.

Alice 'Ace' Spade looked down at her growing belly, not knowing if she was having a son or a daughter, and not caring either way. She pressed her palm against her abdomen and felt her child kick fitfully inside, as if he or she knew that mommy was thinking about them. When she looked back up at Malcolm, there were tears in her eyes, but they were from happiness, not fear or despair.

"I'm the Queen of Spades Malcolm. What is there for me to regret?" she asked, a grin spreading across her face.

                                                                        END

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I find myself rather sad to type that three letter word up there. I love these characters, and it may surprise some of you folk to learn that I wasn't sure I would be able to write this story at all. A- I have never considered myself a romance writer, and actually thought I sucked at it. I wrote this story at first as a way to force me to practice writing romance so I could not suck at it. B- I had the idea kicking round my head, but had another story idea brewing at the same time. I chose to do QoS first solely by flip of a coin. I am not about to start that other story idea as a corroboration with eappleme, you'll hear more on that later. C- My emotional life was unstable throughout most of the conception and completion of this story. It is very hard to write a hopeful, but emotionally gruelling romance when you feel emotionally exhausted and battered yourself. Some of the scenes in the story I wrote while gritting my teeth and trying not to cry, and you'll all never know how often I came to giving up on it entirely. But there were too many of you saying that you loved the story and the characters for me to give up on them, and thus we survived together.

So thank you, every single one that read this, that commented or voted. I never demanded it because although I would LOVE to win the Watty's, it was never about the rewards at the end of the day. It was about you all motivating me to get this done. This work is as much thanks to all of you who said you love me, the story, the characters etc... as it has to do with me creating the concept.

Just goes to show how a little love can change the world no?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

990K 24.9K 61
In an instant his lips were on mine, and without even knowing how, I felt myself succumbing to him. I pulled away quickly, but both of his hands went...
618K 10.5K 38
(COMPLETED AND EXTREMELY CRINGY AT TIMES. MANY PLOT HOLES TOO LOL. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.) When 17-year-old Danielle Brooks is caught for underground fi...
9.8K 330 12
Nevaeh has never felt normal for a day. Now she's set her eyes on Kyle Benedict. Two problems though - he is her professor and he is married. **** Af...
84 13 10
You are about to read a short story of Alisa who met the brothers, Asher and Axel. Their story begins after they met at their worse situation. Destin...