Beauty is a Beast

By writer_gone_wild

Kat Howlett is a vigilante. She has had her powers for a long as she can remember, which isn't a very long ti... More

Chapter 1: Bank Robbers and New Teachers
Chapter 2: A Game of Kat and Mouse
Chapter 3: Shawarma Anyone?
Chapter 4: Luna the Huntress
Chapter 5: SHIELD and the Avengers Initiative
Chapter 6: At Avengers Tower
Chapter 7: Gwen's Bright Idea
Chapter 8: Talks of Redemption
Chapter 9: Hidden Island
Chapter 10: Training and Parties
Chapter 11: Mjolnir and Worth
Chapter 12: Drugged
Chapter 13: A Hero's First Day
Chapter 15: Ghost of the Past
Chapter 16: The Nightclub Blues
Chapter 17: A Lesson in Lying101
Chapter 18: Can't Be Caged
Chapter 19: Hallucinations
Chapter 20: Chit-Chat
Chapter 21: On The Loose
Chapter 22: One and the Same
Chapter 23: The Hulk Isn't the Only Green One Around
Chapter 24: Jail Break
Chapter 25: The Asgardian King
Chapter 26: The Asgardian Queen
Chapter 27: Taylor's Message
Chapter 28: Warrior Wolf
Chapter 29: Asgardians vs Varulv
Chapter 30: Four Words That Kill
Chapter 31: Avoidance and Love Affairs
Chapter 32: The Pact
Filler Chapter: Trip to the Grocery Store

Chapter 14: The Gum on Gwen's Shoe

5.7K 308 72
By writer_gone_wild

Thor and I were positioned on the roof of the pizzeria, Tony was on the roof next to us, an alley separated the two buildings. Natasha and Clint walked among the pedestrians while the others sat in the van parked across the street.

"Okay Gwen, did you get a good look at them?" I questioned, looking at the crowds on the sidewalk.

"No. I only noticed that someone was making all of the turns I was, but I couldn't see their face." Gwen answered.

She was still sitting at a table in the restaurant, drinking a coke I told her to order while she waited for us so the stalker wouldn't get suspicious.

"Did anyone come in after you?"

"Only an old woman and younger lady, but the figure looked like a man."

There was only one way to get this man out of his hiding place.

"Gwen, I need you to leave the restaurant and walk down the side walk until I tell what else to do."

"Okay." she said and I could hear shuffling on the other side.

Soon Gwen walked out of the restaurant and began walking. So far, no one was following her.

"Natasha, Clint. You see anything down there?" I asked.

"Not yet." Natasha reported.

"Keep going, Gwen. You're doing good. Just act natural."

"Those acting lessons have come in handy, huh?" Gwen joked, breathing out a small laugh as she did.

"Indeed, they have."

"I see him." Clint reported.

"I do too." Natasha put in.

"Okay, you two stay on him. Gwen, walk down the alley to your left."

"Are you sure that's safe?" Gwen hesitated as she approached the alley.

"Of course, I'll be down there with you."

As Gwen got closer to the alley, I climbed down the fire escape. This guy had another thing coming if he thought he could do this to Gwen. The only reason he would be following her is if he was after me or Peter.

When my feet hit the ground silently, Gwen turned the corner and started walking down the alley. My hood was pulled over my head, covering what my mask didn't. I hunched behind a mess of garbage cans, concealing myself from anyone who passed.

"I'm here, Gwen." I whispered, reminding her.

"He's walking into the alley." Clint told me.

Just as he said this, a figure started to follow Gwen down the path she took. From what I could see, he wore a trench coat that flowed behind him as he walked. Gwen passed me and Trench Coat Guy picked up the pace. He was close enough to the garbage cans for me to jump out and face him.

"Who are you?" I questioned, my voice sounding hard and almost robotic from the scrambler.

The man looked me up and down as he crossed his arms and laughed a laugh I hadn't heard since I was 15 years old.

"Petite, why you try to scare me when I know for a fact that you are a softie?" he asked.

"Remy LeBeau!?" I smiled, the hardness leaving my voice as my face softened.

"The one and only." he laughed, holding his arms wide, as if presenting himself to me.

He pulled me to him in a hug and I obliged, letting myself get use to him again.

"I can't believe its really you!" I smiled as he let me go. "Wait, why are you following my best friend?"

"I knew you and her were friends so I was going to ask her where I could find you."

Gwen was now standing behind me while Clint and Natasha stood behind Remy.

"I do have a phone."

"Which I do not have the number to."

"How do you know each other?" Clint questioned.

"Remy and I met when I lived at the Institute. He's the one who taught me how to hack into things. He's the best of the best." I explained.

Remy shook Clint and Natasha's hands before he walked up to Gwen.

"Remy is sorry that he scared such a beautiful femme." Remy took Gwen's hand and kissed her knuckles.

Gwen's cheeks turned pink at the complement.

"Down, LeBeau. What would Rogue say?" I remind him, pushing him away from Gwen.

"Rogue has not spoken to Remy in months," Remy looked sad for a split second before masked it and turned to me. "But that is not why Remy is here. Kat, you are in danger."

"Tell me something I don't know. I got attacked a few days ago." I shared.

"They already found you," Remy whispered, a grave look crossing his face. "Come, we cannot speak out in the open."

"We can talk back at the Tower," I offered before I turned to Thor, who had joined us not too long ago. "Will you take Gwen home?"

"Of course." Thor answered.

After they left, we followed Clint and Natasha back to the van and headed back to the Tower. Logan was not as happy to see Remy as I was but he tolerated him because he had information. I just hope that I could keep them from fighting.

************

Once we had returned to the Tower we gathered in the meeting room. Thor was the last to come in, due to taking Gwen home for me. I was telling Remy of how I had been drugged at school and that only made him look even more worried.

"Do you know who they are?" I questioned, my elbows placed on my knees as I finished my story.

"Non," Remy answered, making my face fall slightly. "But, I know how we can track the sac de terre who attacked you."

"Good luck, Frenchie, but if Jarvis can't find him, then no one can." Tony stated confidently.

"You got a computer?"

"Of course," I answered before Tony could make another comment. "Jarvis, computer, please."

The holographic screen popped up in front of Remy along with a keyboard. Remy smiled as he cracked his knuckles and wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"Fantasie."

(Fancy.)

"How did you find out that I was in danger?" I questioned as he typed away at the keyboard.

"A thief hears things, petite. Especially in the Guide."

"You're a thief!?" Steve exclaimed.

"Oui monsieur."

"But he isn't going to take anything from you guys," I assured them before turning to Remy. "Right?"

Remy didn't answer. Instead he smirked down at the keyboard as he kept typing, making me hold out my hand.

"Give it." I command, staring him down with what he called my 'death eyes.'

"What are you talking about?" Remy asked innocently.

"Remy." I warned, motioning for him to give me whatever he took.

Sighing, he reached into his trench coat and pulled out a small piece of technology that no one would have noticed was gone until they needed it. Snatching it from his hand, I placed it on the table and put my hand back out.

"All of it."

"That is all of it."

"LeBeau, don't make me pat you down."

"Je ne me derangerait pas que." Remy purred, giving me a look that any woman would have fell for. And I would have too, if I hadn't known him well enough.

(I wouldn't mind that.)

In the corner of my eye, I saw that a few of my teammates knew what he said, but the only one who showed that it bothered him.

Weird.

Ignoring Loki's glaring eyes at Remy, I smacked Remy on the back of the head and squinted my eyes at him. Finally, he gave me the rest of the things he took, which happened to be a small picture frame, a ring, and spoon made of pure silver.

"How did you get all of this? I've been with you the entire time!" I proclaimed, gesturing to the items on the table.

"Either I have gotten better or you have lost your touch." Remy laughed.

"Watch it, LeBeau. I can still make you into a shish kabob."

"Petite, why are you so mean to Remy?"

"Guess I'm making up for what I've missed." I joked, leaning back into my chair and rest my feet on the arm of his chairs.

"How did you two meet, exactly?" Natasha asked as she listened to our playful banter.

"I was 13 when I was allowed to go on my first mission with the X-Men. That mission just happened to be a robbery," I laughed before continuing. "Remy was robbing the house of a very wealthy mayor of a small town not far from the Institute."

"Kurt and Kitty came with you." Remy added.

"Yep. Kurt zapped in first while Kitty phased me through," I remembered before turning back to the group. "Remy had just gotten the safe opened when-"

"When Kat, over here, tripped over her own two feet." Remy interrupted, making me punch his shoulder.

"I did not trip. I was doing a gravity check."

"While trying to sneak up on me?"

"Yes, now stop interrupting me," Remy held up his hands in surrender as I kept talking. "Long story short, we managed to tie Remy up. But, as fate would have it, the mayor Remy was stealing from was stealing himself. He took money out of the funds the town had raised for the Children's Hospital and Remy was stealing it back for them.

"We let Remy go, but he followed us back to the Institute to see where these crime fighting kids came from. He stayed for a while; we taught each other our techniques and pulled pranks on the others. And the rest is history." I finished, shrugging.

"I'm in." Remy stated.

On the screen was video footage of the library. You could see me looking around when a man clad in all black grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth and nose with a white cloth. You couldn't see the man's face because of the position of the camera, but you could see his messy blond hair. It looked like he hadn't cut or brushed it in a year, maybe longer.

"Does he look familiar?" Remy questioned.

Shaking my head, I kept my eyes trained on the video as the man let me go, flashing us his face before he ran off. Dr. Banner could be seen catching me before Remy paused it.

"Could you go back a do a frame-by-frame?"

Remy did and he paused it when I said so, improving the imagine so we could get a better look of the man's face. When the picture was clear for us to see I could feel my blood run cold and Logan stiffen from where he was behind me.

"Is that-?" I stopped short, not knowing what to call him.

"Can't be." Logan grumbled.

"Apparently, it can." Remy remarked, not believing it himself.

"Excuse me," Tony got our attention. "Yeah, hi. Sorry to inconvenience you but would you mind sharing with the class?"

After looking at every one else's confused expressions I realized that they didn't know much about my earlier life so they wouldn't know this man on the screen. Clearing my throat, I stood next to the photo and held my hand out towards it.

"Guys, I'd like to present to you Taylor Elliot," My face darkened slightly as I said his name. "My first enemy."

**************

Okay! First off, I would like to apologize for going M.I.A. for a whole freaking month. I started school back up and things got carried away and I'm am so sorry.

Secondly...there is no secondly. I just hope you forgive me and that you liked this chapter!:-D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 6K 19
During the second world war, Steve Rogers and the Howling Commandos took down the infamous Hydra. Destroying every remnant of the evil organization...
5.2K 59 25
Natasha Romanoff has a little sister no one knew about until the avengers initiative. she has many powers, she was considered dangerous until taken i...
1M 28.3K 18
Whilst in combat in the US Army, Ava Richards stormed a terrorist base which contained chemically manipulated gas with extreme side effects; in Ava's...
36.5K 590 31
Caroline is a vampire and she was turn in 1865. She joins the Avengers because of her powers that she has. She wants to know that she is not a monste...