Heaven Hath No Rage - Book Two

By nicwritesbooks

After a confrontation with the Center, the pirate island of Corinspe is left reeling. Captain Theo ushers in... More

Lucid
A New Direction
You're Poison, I'm Slipping Under
A Not So Lonely Game
Alleyway Endings
Problem Solver
The Grotto
Tender My Resignation
Back at Sea
Coordinated Attack
Siren's Alley
The Alchemist
A Deal With The Devil
Em and Phen (One and Two)
Eng, Part, and Erdo (Three, Four, and Five)
Pii (Six)
Eln (Seven)
Put, Eza, Pharos (Eight, Nine, Ten)
Home Sick
Carriages and Conversations
Testimony
Secret gained, secret spilled
A Good Friend
Allies and Lies
Reward then Realization
Successful Attempt
Failed Attempt
Shots Fired
Forced Hand
En Route
Unearthed Secrets
Promised
A Path Forward Emerges
The Path Forward Taken
Don't Shoot
Children Scorned
Potential
Difficult Conversations
Delayed Departure
Political Punches
Sister's Request
Gwenevieve's Night Out
Deviating
Negotiations
A New Home
Back Again
Pitching
Taking the Risk

Rejected

879 40 14
By nicwritesbooks

Her eyes were trained on the wall, the chatter coming from next to her just a buzz at the back of her head. Ava had been a wreck since that morning. They had left Niveal the night before, under the cover of darkness, several suns since she had last seen Theo. It was grueling to know she was so close, but no matter how tempted she had been she couldn't break the promise of not seeing her again. It was not a risk they could afford to keep taking.

But Ava had dreamt of Theo every night. The first night was awful, she woke up beside herself with worry. She had seen Theo die in her arms and it was her doing. The next night was better, but not pleasant. The dreams had mellowed out over the next suns but it was almost worse the sweeter they became. The night before, once the ship had rocked her to sleep, she was able to relish in Theo's embrace. Once she awoke, next to a snoring Cameron, she was despondent.

A light fog had settled over her and she carried it in her soul, clouding over her mood. She had gotten up to attend breakfast with the Cookers but it was a surprise how she had even dressed herself. She could barely remember it. She had floated through the rest of the sun much the same. She had been so wrapped up in herself and in her regrets all sun, thinking what it would have been like to just stay, and had not realized how quickly time had passed her by.

Ava had been in Mallory's cabin for hours and she could not pinpoint a single thing she had heard her and Oceane talk about. They had left her alone for the most part but she felt bad for not engaging. Knowing that Mallory was bound to leave soon, she knew she had to make some amends, but they had yet to speak about anything. She looked over at them as they began to cackle.

Ava frowned, Oceane had left her brother behind while the rest of her family was scattered and yet managed to be in a good mood. Ava was frustrated with herself, she was the one moping while everyone around her suffered worse than her. The life of a noble is what she was lamenting.

The two girls on the bed with her did not stop laughing, she could almost guarantee that whatever had been said had not been that amusing. They were just dragging each other further down a spiral of breathless laughter. Mallory finally caught her breath and slapped Oceane's arm as she also began to recover.

Ava felt herself smile, the laughter a bit contagious. As she did, Mallory looked over and caught her eye.

"Do you want to know what's so funny?" Mallory offered with a smile, no pettiness in her voice– a departure from her attitude on the journey up to that point, "Tell her."

Mallory's arm nudged Oceane.

She laughed, "I can't repeat myself. It was bad enough the first time."

"To summarize, she spent a lot of her time in the evenings with Blue. Didn't you?" Mallory laughed and looked over at Oceane.

"He was looking for me," she shrugged, rolling her eyes, "it was kind of sweet."

"He is in love with you. Theo told me as much," Ava hummed, finally chiming in.

"Aye, he is in love with me. He told me many times," Oceane smirked a bit, "but I didn't commit to anything. Our nights were just some good times."

"And that is all you did? You spent your suns being entertained by Blue?" Ava teased.

"Well, you would have known had you been listening that I spent my suns quite wholesomely. Just my nights were spent in pleasure," Oceane shot right back, a gentle smile on her face to show she was teasing, "Many, many people love me. It's hard to juggle them all."

"How did he take it that you didn't want to be with him?" Mallory asked, diverting their attention back to the topic.

"He never asked me to be with him or define boundaries when it came to us. He knows not to. He simply told me he loved me and was obsessed with me endlessly," Oceane shrugged a bit with a laugh.

"He knows you," Mallory pouted, "that is so sweet. Oceane, why didn't you say yes to being with him?"

"Again, he never asked," Oceane teased, "You are obsessed with magical endings for all but not everyone can be a romantic like you."

"You are right. I am a romantic, and I am not ashamed of it at all," Mallory hummed, "I am ready for love. Real love. Love outside of the confines of an estate. I don't understand how you are not."

"And I don't understand how you are," Oceane shot back with a laugh, no animosity in being questioned.

"It is kind of sad to think that he loves you but you do not reciprocate," Mallory pointed out.

Oceane might have not been annoyed, but Ava was.

"No one asked him to love her," Ava butted in, raising an eyebrow, and arms coming to cross in front of her chest.

"Whatever is occurring between us is between Blue and me and it's of little importance to anyone else," Oceane waved her arms once, motioning an end to the conversation, "what is of importance, is that thanks to Pelas, I could see everyone I needed to and there is a plan in place for my father."

"What does Pelas have to do with this?" Mallory raised an eyebrow, she wasn't confused by who Pelas was so she must have learned from Oceane. Or someone else. Ava had missed that.

She had missed a lot of things when it came to Mallory. She hadn't treated her fairly at all. When she first came to the estate, they had grown close and Mallory had indeed put her neck out for her. Ava didn't return the favor. She tried to shake her off when she could and was happy to not involve her in certain plans. Her gut sank a bit as she thought more about how she had made Mallory feel as she went in search of her own goals.

"First," Oceane held a finger up, "Pelas is always important. Second, he secured the tunnels for us. What are the chances that the revolution would use it, and get us access, right at the time we got there, so I could see my family?"

Mallory shook her head, "I think the revolution's plans for a tunnel managed to benefit you, which is a coincidence."

"Coincidences are just luck that has put on a disguise," Oceane shot back, "one sun, you will see."

"You cannot just pin every coincidence on Pelas because then you also have to blame Pelas for every time something goes bad," Mallory tried to catch a flaw in Oceane's logic.

But Oceane's statements were beyond logical, it was faith and Ava had learned to accept it. There were some things beyond their comprehension and Oceane's luck was just that. There were bad things that happened to Oceane, sure, but the bad things happening should have killed her long before. As Ava predicted, the argument had no effect on her friend.

"He can't prevent all bad things. We can thank them for the good, I think it's unfair to blame them for the bad," Oceane shrugged.

"So you are saying that every time something good happens to us, it's him," Mallory said.

"No, every time something good happens to me, it's him. I believe in chance and coincidence for others. But I follow him, I worship him, he looks out for me and that manifests as luck," Oceane argued.

Mallory shook her head and Ava laughed at the same time as Oceane. They looked at each other.

"You are exactly the same as her, Red," Oceane sat up.

"We are very alike," Ava smiled and looked over to Mallory, but Mallory had become upset.

Perhaps it was Ava jumping to Oceane's defense or her confusion with religion but she was no longer in a pleasant mood.

"Bottom line, Blue and I left it in a good place but I'm still exploring my other options. No one knows when I'll be back," Oceane wrapped up, most likely itching to get the magnifying glass off of her.

"Options? Like Arnie?" Mallory laughed.

"Gods no."

"Well, if you don't I will," she sighed and fell back against her pillows, "I just need something."

Oceane whistled and Ava got the hint and whooped along with her friend. Both of them came forward to push and nudge Mallory as they continued their noises. Ava had surprised herself by joining in but it was helping to keep her mind off other things.

"Quit that!" Mallory pushed them off and sat up, "It's just been a while. I haven't laid with anyone since before I came back to Aubermasse."

"Did seeing Cooker awaken something in you?" Oceane asked, a smirk on her face.

Ava raised an eyebrow, feigning surprise as if Theo hadn't delved into every detail of Mallory's visit to the lightbringer that she could remember throughout the night they had last been together.

"You saw Cooker?" Ava asked.

"Oceane!" Mallory scoffed.

"You said you would tell her you saw Cooker! I assumed you had!" Oceane defended herself.

"We just got on the ship last night, when would I have had time?" Mallory rolled her eyes and faced Ava then shrugged one shoulder, "I saw Cooker. I ran into her in the markets."

"I didn't know you had gone to the markets," Ava tilted her head, "I love the Nivealan marketplace. It's such an enjoyable time. What did you buy?"

"Nothing. I was just looking."

"You are a noble. You do not go to a market and not walk away with anything. And if you saw Cooker there– well, it is the crew's habit to share their riches in Niveal so I'm sure she would have treated you to something," Ava tested.

"I don't owe you an explanation. You haven't divulged anything about your time with Theo," Mallory said.

"Fair enough. No more questions about Cooker. I hope you had a great time at the markets," Ava smiled then took a deep breath, "What else did you get up to when I wasn't around?"

"Not much."

"You didn't go visit anyone, maybe a specific person? Maybe someone that could help you with the possibility of leaving?"

Mallory laughed but it was sour, cross, "I cannot believe she actually told you. She's beleaguered by her pathetic infatuation with you."

"Who?" Oceane looked between them, "Cooker?"

"Theo. She went to go see Theo," Ava said as she stared at her sister, her face scrunched up in slight anger at the comment about her partner.

"Wait, you went to go see Theo? Was she at the market with you and Cook?" Oceane was still trying to catch up.

"There was no market, Oceane," Ava said, not looking away from Mallory, "she made it up as a cover."

"You lied to me?" Oceane crossed her arms, and looked away, "I can't believe I believed you! You are such a bad liar too."

"I can't believe it either," Ava teased and looked away from her sister for a moment, trying to avoid escalating. She faced back soon after, "So, want to let us in on why you visited Theo?"

"You know exactly why. I went to inquire about her assisting me with running away."

"And this was something you were going to do alone?" Oceane asked.

"You do not seem to want to be leaving, Avery won't. Why shouldn't I do it by myself? It is not something I was going to do. I am going to do it," Mallory clarified.

"You kind of missed the opportunity," Oceane laughed, "Niveal is long gone."

"I'm not going right now. I am waiting."

"What is the plan?" Ava asked.

"I am not telling anyone. Not even Cameron. I know what I am going to do and when and the fewer people I involve, the better."

"Mal, your leaving is going to have serious repercussions. Oceane could be blamed for helping you. I could be blamed," Ava had to say her piece.

"And your leaving had serious repercussions too. Didn't it? Ellie was killed to find out more information," Mallory called back and the room went silent, "I'm sorry, I did not mean to throw it back at you."

"No. That is alright. I know it's not fair that you have to think about the backlash and I didn't but that's just the reality."

"I have thought about it and I have a plan in place. But I refuse to tell anyone," Mallory insisted.

Ava nodded and stood up, "I understand. I can't interfere with this. You are just going to do it anyway. I would too. Just-"

"Be careful. Keep you out of it. I know," Mallory interrupted and Ava let it go. She nodded and looked at the door, "I will get out of your room now. I need to meet with Lady Cooker about something. My room will be open later if you want to visit. Both of you."

Oceane smiled and nodded; Ava knew she would take her up on the offer. Mallory's face gave nothing away but she nodded in Ava's direction. An acknowledgment, it was something she would take.

—------------

In the half-cycle since leaving Niveal, each sun just got worse. She had hoped the fog that settled over her would leave. But it was stubbornly hanging around, always enshrouding her. At first, she thought it was just because she missed Theo but as she sat with it she realized that was only the surface.

There was so much dread and hopelessness in her future. And in all the misery, there was not a single guarantee. She understood her father's obsession with them now. She understood all of Baethos' obsession with the idea of a sure thing. She just wanted to know if all of it would actually help; if there would be a payoff in the end.

She wished she could focus on her wallowing in peace but the rhythmic noise of a ball being thrown and caught was taking her out of it a bit. Her eyes tracked the ball, leaving Cameron's fingertips just to slam back down in his palm. His tongue was pressed against his top lip, intense focus. Her time with Cameron had proved that he was a wholly unserious person with a tendency to slip into occasions of sage wisdom.

This meant that he was capable of deep thought and was indeed quite smart but he chose not to exist in that state. He was unique, that was for certain, and a good friend.

He wasn't a fool with everyone, just those he knew and trusted. He was very reserved around others and the only time he truly let himself shine was behind closed doors. Ava could usually entertain it, and use him to get some relief from her strict, rigid noble life but that aftermorning each time the ball slapped against his hand grated on her.

Theo never spent her free time playing catch. She used it in more productive ways. Whittling, planning, socializing, training. What was Theo doing right then? At that point, she had to have left Niveal. Had it gone without a hitch? Would they ever be allowed back? Were her friends alright? Was Drokian going to go well? Would there even be anyone at the rendezvous point or would a second Drokian break prove to be their last?

"Think I can get it spin more than three times before it lands?" Cameron asked, pulling her from her worry.

"Not now, Cam," Ava held her hand up and laid down on the bed, bringing a pillow over her eyes, "please, can you stop doing that?"

Cameron laughed, "Yes, sorry. You told me to come in here after lunch. Remember? I've just been passing the time waiting to hear what you wanted to go over."

Ava pulled the pillow off her face with a shake of her head, "I didn't remember. You're right. Sorry for snapping."

She sat up and pat the bed next to her and Cameron climbed in. No matter how uncomfortable it had been at first, they had gotten used to sleeping in the same bed. Cameron could no longer risk being caught going in and out of the room to sleep elsewhere because his father was already highly suspicious that nothing was occurring between the two of them.

It was fine after a while but at first, she couldn't quite sleep. She wasn't worried about Cameron and Cameron wasn't worried about her but having him in the bed was different than what she was used to. He didn't smell as good as Theo did, or Oceane, or anyone she had shared a bed with before. He took up too much of the bed, not with his body but just the way he positioned himself. And he had almost bruised her face several times because his arm would flop onto her in the middle of the night.

He was a hazard to be around yet was none the wiser. It was uncomfortable, difficult, and even inconvenient to have to share his bed the first few nights. Ava would wake up, trying to strangle him. There was no way out but through so she embraced her situation and when she did, she began to sleep much better. She was able to convince him to take more frequent baths and even got to choose the fragrance of his water. She could stop his encroaching on her space with strategically placed pillows. And if she moved him a little further down the bed, his arm would no longer land on her face and instead on her chest, ribs, or side which was a nice weight to keep her asleep.

"Why was I summoned?" Cameron smiled, awaiting what was to come.

"I need to brief you on the mission for the villa."

"Mission? Aren't we just supposed to attend the Minrah's party"

"No, my father and your father do not necessarily have the same goals for this party. Your father's goal is to attend and gab with higher society, my father's intentions are somewhat different," Ava divulged.

"And you need my help with that?"

"I do."

"Will I have to lie?" he narrowed his eyes.

"No. But you might have to act," Ava said.

Cameron shook his head, "Acting is just lying."

"That's reductive."

"It's my belief," he replied.

"Fine," Ava paused searching for a way through to him, "then think of it like acting for the revolution. You would be helping the cause."

"But it wouldn't be acting for the revolution, it would be acting for your father, which is just lying," he pointed out and Ava had to keep in the screech of frustration.

"Cam," Ava pinched her nose and then laughed, "helping me help my father helps the revolution in the long run."

It took him a moment to process the sequence of words then he shrugged, "I don't have a problem with lying for your father if you are asking me to. I am trying to remind you that I am bad at lying. It's never gone well for me. It makes me sweat, and then laugh, and that all just makes me look guilty."

"How do you lie to your father about you and your brother's activities?" Ava asked, genuinely curious as to why he was entrusted if he was such a liability.

"No one really asks me much of anything. If I don't have to directly lie, I'm fine. If someone ever asks me something I can't answer, I just shrug," Cameron provided with a laugh.

"Perfect then. For this mission you won't need to do much, it works out," Ava assured him.

He nodded but looked unconvinced. She understood it was only proper etiquette to fill him in.

"So, the Minrah's want our approval. That is the underlying reason for them hosting us. A positive word from a sitting council member goes a long way when greater houses are choosing which of their nobles will represent them on the council," Ava explained, "That endorsement from a sitting council member is especially valuable if it's coming from a Vaith. We don't typically do things of that nature though. That is the mission, avoid endorsing them."

"I was not planning on doing so in the first place."

"I know. But we have to avoid more than just verbal endorsement. It must be a subtle rejection of their house. You cannot really show enthusiasm toward the Minrahs. You may be neutral but if someone asks about me or my opinions, be vague, don't mention anything about me, or indicate in any way I am having a good time. You should not indicate you are having a good time either," Ava listed

"You are saying I cannot enjoy myself at this party?"

"You can't... Sorry."

Cameron looked not quite upset but something else she couldn't comprehend. He pressed his lips together before shrugging, "That's alright. I'm friends with Rackelle. Their daughter. We sometimes go out together. Will that be allowed?"

Ava thought for a moment. "Depends. Would she tell her father or hint toward compliance between our houses if you go out together?"

"I cannot be not sure. I do not know her well enough to know her political situation with her family. We rarely talk about those things," Cameron replied and Ava believed it, she knew very well that conversations between children of heads of households lacked any real substance.

"Then no, I don't think you two can be together alone or out," Ava said, reaching out to put a consoling hand on his back.

"Can I just stay home?" Cameron looked down at his hands.

"This is our honeymoon. I don't think so."

"Alright. Well, at least it won't be hard to act so miserable all night," he mumbled.

"Sorry."

Cameron shrugged a bit and hopped off the bed then settled at the table, looking out of the open balcony door. Ava was sure he would have preferred to leave and go spend time with Brandon or Mallory but he couldn't actually leave. The longer they were in any given room alone together, the more they could pass off to Lady and Lord Cooker that attempts at an heir were being made.

Cameron was quiet for some time and seemed to need his space. Ava took the time in silence to pull the project she was working on back on her lap, pulling it out of her drawer. Embroidery. She would do it. She was doing it. She was getting lines. It was something.

He spoke up when he was ready, clearing his throat, "I am sorry for zoning out. There is some processing to do. There's nothing you can do, I am just a bit cross."

"I understand," Ava looked up from her cloth, appreciating the communication.

There was a pause, then Cameron frowned, "Is it always going to be like this?"

"I think so. There is always going to be something else guiding our actions. My father, Brandon, the revolution. Freedom is something of the past, I'm afraid."

She watched him contend with his future right in front of her. After just a second, all the jovial essence that was so critical to Cameron was gone. Instead, he was sunken. Forlorn. He was in deep thought, looking out onto the calm seas. Another bit of time passed but she didn't look away. Her gaze was focused on him, watching him process.

Soon, he met her gaze, looking away from the ocean, "I am still happy you are my wife. That has not changed."

"That is sweet. Thank you. I wasn't aware you were glad to be in a union with me," Ava chuckled, "I'm glad you are my husband."

"But I do wish that I could have lived the life I wanted. I do not even know what that looks like but I know it is not this," Cameron admitted, looking back outside as she watched a deep sigh sag his shoulders.

He stood up after a beat–before she could find what to say–and stepped out onto the balcony instead. She pulled her attention from him, looking back at her needle and piercing the cloth, pulling it through the other side. Her stare was intense and her frown was etched into her face as she messed up the stitch she was trying to get.

There was a pit of guilt that was settling in her stomach and she huffed, looking up. She could have tried harder to keep him blind to it all but she couldn't keep him in the dark. Mallory asked her to be honest with him. Maybe she could have been more gentle in presenting him with his grim future but he needed to be told. The party would be the first shitty thing they had to do in a long line of shitty things to come.

The embroidery was abandoned as she stared at the wall, unable to do anything but wallow in her guilt and dread for what was in their future.

He broke her storm of despair by stepping back inside.

"I have handled my feelings on the matter."

"Great."

"And I have decided I am going to need you to be more than just a friend that shares a bed with me," he said as he closed the balcony behind him..

Ava tilted her head, "Alright. I'm not sure I know what that entails."

"I think I need a wife but without the love. I mean, there can be love but not in that sense. You know? We are together now, we should be partners," Cameron proposed, "you would say we are together now, wouldn't you?"

"In a way, we are," Ava agreed.

"And for the foreseeable future, we will be in a union together," he reminded.

"Aye, we really don't know how long it will be," Ava said then remembered she needed to correct herself. It had been so easy to fall back into old habits, "Yes. I meant yes, we don't know how long it will be."

"And Mallory told me you know she's going, which means you are aware that I will not have her very soon. And my family will leave upon our return. I will be left with almost no one at the estate," Cameron said.

Ava nodded.

"So, you will be all I have. I will trust you with everything I know, which nothing really comes my way, but I will trust you with it and you trust me with your things," Cameron proposed.

"A lot does come your way," Ava provided, "you are a valuable source of information, Cam."

"I don't seek it out."

"Doesn't mean it doesn't seek you out. You bring a lot to the table. And to this odd alliance," Ava held out her pinky Cameron did the same and they locked it together.

"Do you have any vows to make to me? We never did any," Cameron laughed, "we must say them to become husband and wife."

Ava played along, "You go first. I want to be able to one-up you."

He cleared his throat and squeezed their pinkies together, "I vow to always make sure you look great to anyone we are talking to and to always help you where I can. I vow to try my best to think all lying is acting and no acting is lying. I also vow to be better at acting; it is something I can work on. And I vow to be your inside ears."

Ava laughed, "Fuck. Those are definitely better than mine will be."

"You should have allowed me to go last," he laughed at her.

"I vow to protect you. To convince your father and mother that we are in a union in all senses of the word. To use your help to speed this revolution along so you may live the life you want. I vow to bring you up to speed on everything I know and always inform you when something happens."

They kept their pinkies together for a moment

"Thank you," Cameron whispered with a soft smile.

Don't thank me just yet.

Ava just nodded and released their pinkies and took his hand instead, squeezing it, "Of course."

—-----

The seas had been awful and the second half of the journey to the villa on the coast of Safriti had been nothing but misery. The seasickness that had taken her over the first time she was on the Scorned Woman had returned and she didn't understand why. Her body had gotten no rest and every sun that they were closer to the Minrah's party the more her nerves had worsened. She had been on diplomatic trips for her father before, yet never as heir and never outside of Elox. And Killian had always been there in the past length to be a buffer and make her look better, but he was gone.

Ava had wondered if that had been on purpose. Had her father been preparing her for a long time? When had he decided?

What would happen if she fucked it up? Would she meet the same fate as Killian? Pierce could come in and take her place. He was not yet 10 lengths old but her father knew no bounds. To secure a reliable heir, he had changed a law that hadn't been considered in 800 lengths.

Because of the rough seas and absence of peace of mind, she was exhausted and she was afraid it could be seen all over her face. She was a ghost of a person while getting ready for the party, the tour of the villa before then had been a blur. Ava didn't think she had been conscious for the whole sun but the reality of sitting in the carriage, riding over to the Minrah's abode, shocked her back into her body.

She was going to use the carriage ride to refresh facts about the Minrah's history but the carriage came to a stop mere minutes after it started. The door opened and she hesitated to make a move. Cameron got up and began to get out and Ava fixed him with a bewildered look.

"Come on. We're here," he held out his hand for her.

"I don't understand," Ava said as she got up out of her seat and exited the carriage. Had she been so checked out that she had missed a whole carriage ride, "how long was that?"

"Was what?"

"The carriage ride, Cameron."

"Oh," he laughed, "not sure. It was quick though. Our villa is right over there."

She followed where he pointed and saw the large home above the trees decorating their road. It had truly been less than a few minutes. It seemed ridiculous to her but she didn't comment on it as the rest of the Cooker family came out of their coaches and carriages.

On the steps of the villa stood the Minrah family. They descended down them to greet the newcomers and Ava kept a polite smile on her face as she exchanged introductions with members of their house. Ava observed the exchange between the Minrahs and Cookers and was able to deduce just how close they were. Well, as close as two houses vying for power could be.

The heir, the person that had introduced himself to her first, came over to her after he had made his initial round of welcoming. He nodded toward her and bowed a bit, "Lady Vaith, may I guide you on a tour of our villa?"

"Lead the way, my Lord," she held out her arm and it was taken. A handful of others joined them as they began to walk up the steps into the villa. Cameron, her sister, some of the other Minrah siblings, and Vivexa came along.

It was not much different than the Cooker's villa's next door. The inspiration for both the inside and the outside had been taken from the same source with few tweaks. She could not be rude though.

"You have a beautiful villa, Lord Minrah," Ava complimented

"Please, call me Oxen."

"Oxen? I must have had a faulty socials teacher because I was not aware that the Minrah household had an Oxen," she chuckled, teasing a bit.

"It is my dub," he answered obviously, "My friends and family call me that. I prefer it."

"Are we friends, Oxen?"

"I would like to think we can be, Lady Avery."

"Would you call any other male heir by their first name? I am here representing my house. My title is Lady Vaith and I will be addressed as such," Ava raised an eyebrow, "you have extended an offer for me to bypass formalities but I have not done the same for you."

"Apologies, Lady Vaith."

"Come," Ava said as she kept walking with a chuckle, "I would like to be shown around the gardens. Are there any on the property?"

"Of course," he came forward and she took his arm, "Again, my apologies."

"It has been forgotten, Oxen. Now, tell me about the preparation for your party."

"I would rather talk about how we have adapted to and championed your changes. Your policies have been fumbled by many houses but we have helped our community thrive," Oxen lacked subtly in his approach.

"I have read and heard about what you've done. We appreciate your willingness to adapt to the right thing to do," she withheld praise.

"I was hoping that we could have a conversation about how we could help each other. Our fathers both being on the Council could usher in great change."

"Oxen, with all due respect, this is my honeymoon and it is supposed to be a party in honor of my union. Why are we speaking business?" Ava asked, with a slight tilt to her head.

"Well, my father and I were thinking-"

"If this is an attempt to talk politics, alliances, or the future of our houses and it is an attempt on behalf of your father then I would rather talk to him and I would prefer to do it after I have been properly hosted," Ava snapped.

He was shocked and she shook her head, she unlinked her arm from his with a slight sigh, "Leave my husband and I in the gardens so we may have some time alone before the guests arrive.

They paused, the party following behind them also coming to a stop. Cameron came forward and Ava motioned him to get closer.

"Tell your father that I will be looking forward to speaking to him later," she nodded to dismiss him and he bowed then left them alone, helping to escort those that had come along out of the gardens.

Cameron grimaced as they left and she took a deep breath, letting it out a massive sigh once they were out of sight. Cameron opened his mouth but he could say nothing, she laughed in an attempt to jolt the deep discomfort from her system.

"I know," she shook her head and put her hand on her corset, "that was awful."

"It was shocking. But that is the language of our fathers when speaking to those on the lesser end of a bargain. You spoke it well," Cameron consoled.

"My stomach hurts," she replied, sitting down on a bench in front of them.

"You sounded confident."

"I was starving and now I'm not. I can't fathom eating but all I want is something to eat," she talked past him.

"I was being cold to Rackelle but I'm not so sure I was that confident about it. I do not believe I have sold it very well," he admitted.

"I have to do that again," Ava hooked a finger under her corset and tried to pull it out a bit, attempting to get some space to breathe, "after the party, I have to fucking do it all over again."

"I have to be this way all night, and I could barely last a quarter hour," Cameron sat down on the bench next to her and assumed the same position, hunching over with his arms wrapped around himself, "Oh god my stomach hurts now too."

Ava looked over and if she were not nauseous, she would laugh at Cameron who was sweating even though the air outside was temperate. She had to stop herself from worrying. The mission wouldn't be blown, they would be able to carry through. They would have a good night, they both just needed to let the nerves work through their system. She was thankful it was at least another hour until the party would even start.

—----

Her nerves had gone away as soon as they had taken time to process the feelings. They had both experienced an overflow of anxiety but grappling with it together, after their separate moments of despair, was a surprisingly good strategy. After that, she entered the party ready for the rest of her night. Cameron had been right, in the garden she had simply been speaking the language of her fathers and it would be the only way to gain respect. Once word spread about her strictness, she could be charismatic. Gain people's sympathy and trust when they found her to be nothing like the stories told of her. Her father had done that very thing.

Theo had once said how stories about her just helped her in the long run. That could be true for Ava. But unlike Theo, Ava had to be the monster before word could spread that she was one. She had to feed the stories before she could benefit. And although it was beneficial, it was not pleasant.

She had not given the space for any of her walls to drop and her facade to fade but she was afraid a few more minutes alone and she would lose her ability to keep this side of her up. She had been called to a room, Lord Minrah's study from how it looked. It had been several minutes of waiting but she couldn't blame him. He was the head of his house and needed to reestablish some power after she had publicly spoken to his son disrespectfully.

A door in the back of the room opened, it was behind her and she turned around.

"I apologize for the tardiness. I had to come the back way, I kept getting stopped when I intended to come in the front door," he smiled and walked toward her, holding out his hand, "I usually kiss a lady's hand but I understand you appreciate being treated with the respect of other Lords."

"I do not think that is an outlandish request," she returned the smile and took his hand, shaking it with a firm grip then pulled away.

"No. But it does not make you any less commanding of a room if you chose to be paid your respects as a Lady,"

"I am aware of that, my Lord, I do not think others are," Ava said.

"You are right," he conceded, motioning for her to sit down. She took her seat, perching at the very edge of the chair, not making herself too comfortable, "I have some heeree, brewed in my very own estate back home. I never travel without a cask of it. Care for some?"

"I have never tried it before," she warned, "but I would love a taste."

"It's a mead popular in our region in North Efriti. We make it with ripened pilot fruit, very sweet. This length's batch was phenomenal."

Lord Minrah took the pitcher that had already been at the desk and poured it into two cups. An attendant had clearly come in. Mead was dangerous and in her experience with the pirates, the sweeter it was, the drunker one got. It was an offer of hospitality with the hope that she would be pushed past her limit. She wondered how many political decisions had been made over a drunken discussion.

He handed her the drink and took his own, sitting down and taking a sip. When she saw him swallow, she was assured she had not been poisoned and took her chance with a sip. She considered withholding her praise–clearly, he had been eager to share it with her–but she did not want to create tension so early in the conversation.

"It is a fine wine. Tastes delightful. Thank you for sharing your personal supply," Ava put her cup down, not chancing more than a few sips, "I know I had some strong words for your son earlier. It might have seemed harsh but you must understand where I am coming from."

"I understand. We may have come on too strong and too soon. You should have been properly hosted by us," he bowed his head slightly, an apology, "But you must also understand that we had assumed your acceptance of the invitation meant you were opening a conversation between us on political matters."

"Assumptions rarely bode well, Lord Minrah," Ava said, "what exactly is it that you want from the Vaiths? What were you hoping to communicate in an open conversation?"

"We are on the same side with this, Lady Vaith. You and I both value change. You will find if you sit with me for a moment and discuss your policies, that I not only appreciate your efforts and make sure my house is enforcing the new policies, but I have made large strides in convincing others in the region to follow suit."

Ava nodded a bit, looking around the room as she processed what he said. She took a deep breath and looked back over, "Yes. I read about your model. You wasted no time in publishing it into a book and seeing it distributed to noble houses around the world."

"What do you think of my model?" Lord Minrah looked slightly impressed that she had doven deep enough and it made her regret not being rude to him.

"I appreciated that you encouraged even more investment into reforms than the policies required. Your innovations on cutting debt from greater and lesser houses if they provided for those under them was effective."

"Effective, sure, but it was also admirable. Not many noble houses would be willing to take a cut on debts owed to them in favor of progressive reform."

"You cut down debts by a few thousand gold. The houses in your debt owe you tens of thousands. It's generations' worth of debt that will not be paid off in their lifetimes or their great-grandchildren's lifetimes. Regardless of the amount you cut, they will be paying for classifications to come. Those payments were not paused either, or lessened. They still must pay a minimum amount of their debt," Ava argued but kept her tone cool, not pointed, "as I said, you are innovative in your approach. It is one that will likely be replicated as people see the policies are not going anywhere. It costs nobles nothing to cut debt, by the time the original debt will be paid off the amount that was forgiven would have accumulated tenfold with the interest you charge the poor people. You were smart in your approach, I will give you that."

"So, you see value in the work my house has done for Baethos," he suggested.

"I see the value you have brought to your land in North Efriti and the effectiveness of your model," Ava reworded.

He paused for a moment and laughed with a smile on his face but it was polite, understanding. She got the feeling he had believed she would be easier to handle than her father. In reality, her father would have been just as difficult but perhaps even a bit nicer. He gave her another nod, letting her know he could accept the small compliment.

"Please, let us partake in some luxuries I have brought from all over Efriti," he opened a drawer and pulled out a covered tray. He took the lid off to reveal some sard, the strong smell immediately giving it away, and some sweet treats, "We can enjoy these as we discuss the future. I have some ideas for change. Perhaps I can discuss with you how that could work if I were to make it on The Council."

"Are you feeling confident that the continent's greater houses will vote you in? There is some stiff competition for this reclassification. Sevars is on the way out and people can sense there is a shift to take advantage of," Ava noted and reached forward for a sip of her heeree.

"This is Baethan policies, Lady Vaith, anything can happen. I have confidence in our efforts to present ourselves as the most viable option to replace Sevars," he replied.

"You represent the smallest province in Efriti, half the size of the Ammyrett lands which border you," Ava hummed and once again, looked around to a well-decorated room. A sizable office for a villa meant for vacation and leisure, "are you not worried that the size of your constituency will play a role in how the votes shake out?"

"We have experienced unprecedented growth, my Lady."

"Right, but the growth in population and wealth for the lands you lord over will not be in play for this classification's vote. You have the potential to see dozens of families get promoted to a greater house and finally get jurisdiction of a larger number of greater houses but you lack their votes right now. You still have hope given the environment you face?"

"I do. As I said, anything can happen," he said but his face was not indicating that he knew that for certain. There didn't seem to be some elaborate plan to ensure his seat. Not like the knowing smile Jona Ammyrett always had on his lips.

Pure hubris and confidence were what Lord Minrah was displaying, nothing sinister.

"Tell me, how has the response been from your lesser and greater houses? You say they are happy in your report but I don't believe that is the case," Ava requested, lighting up the sard that was on the tray in front of her. She took a drag and the bitter taste was more unpleasant than she remembered.

But she smoked it all the same, the herb having too much of a symbolic meaning to Nefritians to refuse it. She felt out of place smoking it though, the dress and the pristine hair, and the fancy library were at odds with the usual setting she associated with sard. No pirates or rowdy noises around.

"I believe that it is also time to foster unity. We have done enough of pitting the poor against last namers. Last namers have been made to answer and they have. Now, we should give them something," Lord Minrah argued.

"What do you have in mind?" Ava raised an eyebrow.

"Sport. A tournament. A few games from each continent. Athletes from all over will come out to compete."

"We have tournaments all the time."

"This will be different. Everyone is invited. No cost of entry. Not a few sports, all of them."

"There is no cost to entry?"

"No. The money spent on food, and other entertainment would more than make up for the cost of the tournament so the host does not need to charge admission."

"Right. The attendants just need to pay the voyage there, the cost of accommodations, the cost of food,"

"Exactly," he said, not getting her point.

"It wouldn't be for everyone then. It would be those that could afford it. Regardless of admission costs," Ava spelled it out for him and he frowned.

"It would raise morale."

"How? It is no different than a tournament, Lord Minrah. If we want to inspire unity, there are plenty of other avenues to take," Ava said, succeeding in her attempt to suppress a scoff.

"Like what?"

Ava took one more hit of the sard and then placed it down, happy to rid herself of the foul-tasting cigarette.

"You are the one vying for a seat on the Council. Do you have any ideas to continue progress that is not a tournament?" she pressed.

He paused, he kept his face neutral but there was panic that could be felt in the air. His wits were not sharp enough to keep up with the conversation past his rehearsed talking points. She smiled to herself and shook her head, standing up.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Minrah and thank you for the conversation," she bowed her head, a slight curtsy accompanying it, "I will be going now. I should get back to my husband."

He stood up and followed her as she walked to the door, "I was hoping there would be more time in the conversation."

She paused halfway to the door and raised an eyebrow, "You may continue."

"Lady Vaith, I am sure that if we keep this open communication between our houses, that we can achieve a wonderful exchange of ideas. And if the Minrahs were on The Council, I would help you ensure Baethos sees continued progress. We are on the same side, Lady Vaith."

"But we are not on the same side, Lord Minrah," she chuckled, "In fact, you are on no side. You are a moderate and have always aligned with moderate policies. You will not ensure progress."

"That is unfair. I have been a strong advocate for your policies," he frowned, holding his hands behind his back.

"Your model and the messaging you have undertaken to spread the word of your efforts have not touted you as a beacon of progress but as a strong enforcer of the rules of Baethos. You stick to the law, you only follow a progressive path went it is a requirement that you do so. You let the current take you. You do not invite or champion progress, Lord Minrah, you are often the one to stunt it."

She had finally hit a nerve and he was visibly angered, "How dare you? I have made sure policies like yours have found success since they have gone into effect. I have made sure North Efriti follows suit."

"Once in effect, you did your duty as a house. That makes you a follower, sir, not a visionary. The Council is in need of revolutionary ideas during a time when we are fighting against revolutionaries on the ground. We cannot afford someone that will avoid making a decision. We are coming upon trying times," she continued to belittle his ability and it gave her joy.

She was sure no one would appreciate that this was her approach, but her father told her she could lead how she wanted to and this is what she had chosen. She had a plan, this was just a phase in that plan.

"I hold progressive ideals, Lady Vaith, I just have not been public about it. I am not a moderate within the estate," he defended himself.

"And that lack of publicity about your progressiveness has gained you and your family a platform over the classifications. If you were on the Council, you would need to deliver to your constituents what they know and to Efriti what they voted for. So, you would not be able to be of much help to me. You would resort to the ideology you are known for."

"Your father has always been against progress and his ideology changed seemingly overnight, why would we not be able to do the same?" he challenged, thinking he had caught her in a trap, a slight look of pride on his face.

"My family has pull and power. What we say goes, Lord Minrah. You know this because it's the reason you invited me here," Ava taunted, taking a step forward and sizing him up even though she was shorter than him, "I am afraid that simply changing your stance and ideology would not work that way the same for you as it did for us, your allies and constituents could take that to mean you are loose about your stances and not trustworthy. A one-classification Councilmember is almost more embarrassing than never having been on it at all."

He didn't answer, licking his lips as he likely searched for what to respond.

"Best of luck come the reclassification, my Lord. I hope you gain the votes you need," Ava lifted her skirt to make a quick exit but he stopped her again, holding her elbow.

"So, you will not entertain a discussion for an endorsement?" Lord Minrah asked, "I am open to offering some guarantees. I can provide a balancing vote to Efiriti, I could rival the Ammyretts. I could be an ally, moderate or not."

Ava laughed as she pulled her arm away, "We have the allies we need on The Council, sir. My family does not do endorsements. We prefer to stay out of it."

"You make endorsements all the time, you are heavily involved," he corrected her.

"In Eloxian politics, my Lord. That is our home and we have a duty to ensure the right people are in power for the sake of our constituents. We endorse and throw support behind houses under our purview and jurisdiction. I apologize but supporting your house is not something we will do. Thank you for traveling away from your estate so close to reclassification."

"We have the same goals, Lady Vaith," he continued to try.

"Not publicly. Nothing guarantees that your progressiveness is not a plot for an alliance and that you will not turn on us the moment you secure a seat. The effort was valiant and the party was splendid but we do not make deals with families we do not know. I apologize," Ava said, attempting to be the slightest bit more cordial.

Finally, his attempts stopped and she left behind a man that was stunned silent. As she exited the room and spared one glance back at him, she saw him deep in distress. Confusion and desperation were battling for attention and she had to look away. She was surprised she could suppress the tears.

Even if the system he believed in was shit, he still believed in it and had most likely worked all his life toward an opportunity to have his foot in the door. She had just slammed that door on his toes. She also feared that the rejection of his attempts for allyship would see the end of his enforcement of reform. Had she created backlash for his constituents?

Her stomach began to hurt again and all she wanted was to be under the soft, heavy covers they had in the villa. She needed some lighthearted distraction. She needed to be out of the party. She found her way to the heart of the party once again and searched the crowd until she found Cameron.

She pulled him close once she was near and whispered in his ear.

"We're going," she said and he nodded, "straight faces."

When they separated, his lips were in a slight frown. Subtle but conveying what was needed and she tried not to laugh. If Cameron could hold character, so could she.

By then, they had gathered some stares as they made their way away from the crowd without saying goodbye to anyone. They both looked displeased and people parted from their way as they walked. Outside, the carriage door was opened for her but she waved it off, continuing to walk. She needed the air and the walk back was so short it was comical.

Cameron followed her and she was thankful because she needed help. The pebbled ground caused her to wobble in her shoes and she leaned on Cameron for support. Halfway to the villa, he picked her up and slung her over his shoulder and she slumped in defeat. He wasn't much comfort in cheering her up once they got back to their room but he did his best.

Luckily, no one followed to lecture them for their quick and seemingly sudden exit. Eventually, Cameron realized he wouldn't be able to figure out how to deal with the dispirited mood Ava had entered and he retrieved help. Oceane came into the room and she spent the rest of the night cheering Ava up, employing Cameron's help from time to time.

They fell asleep together, Cameron squished in the middle of them both– having insisted he wanted to be closed in on both sides. No one bothered them until morning but once they were woken up there were a lot of explanations and justifications she had to give.

Fucking Umbar Vaith. Leaving her to clean up his messes.

—------------------

Avery Davina Vaith.

A pretentious name for a pretentious ass.

Viv was planted at the base of a mast, looking up into the crow's nest. Her arms were crossed, her eyes squinting at the bright sun shining through a cloudless sky. Everything in her was telling her to turn around. She could walk away, into the deck, and rest in her cabin. Avery didn't have to win.

But Viv needed to cave. It had been six suns of travelling after the villa and they had yet to have a serious conversation. Which had been something that Viv has been trying to seek out. Not out of want but out of necessity. She had overextended herself, pushing past her known limits and trying to rein in two targets at once. In one hand was the revolution and in the other was the establishment and she had to toe the invisible line between the two.

Unfortunately, on top of the risks she had taken upon herself, she had also tied herself to Avery Shithead Vaith. It was an immature swipe but if the noble wasn't a shithead, then Viv had ceased to know the meaning of the word. Yet, she was a shithead that Viv had secured herself to before following her off the plank. Avery represented both the revolution and the defending side. If anyone was equipped to help Viv navigate it all, it would be the shithead.

And if they had any chance of surviving a plot to take down the government together, she needed to make amends.

Which had been attempted many times and thwarted each time. Avery wanted something she couldn't give, a genuine apology. She could act though. She could do that much, she just had to be willing to and she wasn't.

Avery pulled irritation out of her from the depths of her soul and Viv knew it was partially her fault. She had created that monster. The one that was in the crow's nest, baiting her up there. Using her fears against her. Avery had figured out at some point how she felt about heights and was dying to make use of it; she was getting that moment.

Since getting back on the ship, Ava had occupied herself at all moments. If she wasn't around her usual pack of insufferables she was with the Cookers or making friends with the staff. There had been no time alone and in the rare moments she had no one around, she had been climbing to the crow's nest. Any attempt to stop her for a talk would be met with a challenge to meet her at the top for any hope of a conversation.

So, Viv found herself with an upset stomach and an understanding that she had no other choice. She pressed her forehead against the mast for a second to gather herself. A couple of deep breaths later and she was climbing before she had another second to think. Halfway up, she stopped. Her knees were shaking and were about to lock. She just kept breathing through it until the top was within sight. She didn't look down the entire time and somehow, it worked.

She practically clawed her way onto the crow's nest when its small entrance was close enough. Viv's chest was panting, more from panic than physical effort. What she hadn't considered was her response to heights, which was uncontrollable. It left her vulnerable and allowed Avery to see her at her most terrified. She tried to play it off but her shaky hands gave her away.

She found her seating next to Avery and planted both hands firmly on the wood. She had to keep her eyes trained on the horizon to avoid the temptation of looking down. Even the thought made her head spin, her stomach churning at the mere thought of how high she was. It was unnatural. It was not normal for someone to enjoy these altitudes. She was regulating, her steady breaths in through tensed lips were grounding her.

Avery gave her the space and time to calm down. Mostly because she had decided not to speak to Viv.

Viv closed her eyes to fight looking down toward the deck and wrenched her head in the direction of Ava's face before she opened them back up.

"I deeply apologize," Viv said.

Ava slowly turned her head to l Viv and the look on her face was an indication that her apology had not been accepted.

"I said, I am sorry. Genuinely sorry," Viv repeated, in possibly the most disingenuous apology known to man.

"For?"

"Whatever will make you happy."

"That is not a real apology then, Vivexa," Ava said and turned her head, going back to ignoring her, "I don't actually think you know how to make one."

"Avery, of course I don't" Viv laughed, "I was raised in a shithole orphanage until I was snatched away and put into an estate full of other feral maniacs. Sorry was never factored into anything I did."

"That isn't an excuse."

"Isn't it?" Viv shrugged a shoulder and looked away, her eyes instinctually glancing down. The world spun, and her stomach felt like it had dropped to her feet. It felt like she was going to be blown into the sea by the wind and her heart being to race.

She closed her eyes and resumed her breathing exercises. Once she was sure she wasn't going to tumble over the edge of the crow's nest– an impossibility when she was sitting– she regained the ability to speak.

"I am up here, coming to talk to you on your terms. Is that not apology enough?" Viv asked.

"Do you know what I am asking for an apology for?"

"No. And if I'm honest, princess, I don't really care what it is. I probably am not sorry for it."

"You kept the letters from me. How can I trust what you are telling me from now on? I relied on you for information and you turned your back on me," Ava laid it out. She didn't need Viv to care, she just wanted to say her piece.

"Had I not kept those, who knows where you would be now? You are where you need to be," Viv looked up at the bright sky, it was better than the deck.

"Do you not get what I am trying to tell you? I cannot trust you and we are supposed to be working together. Were you not the one that suggested a partnership in the first place?" Ava was looking at her but Viv didn't want to look over.

"I really don't know what to tell you," Viv laughed a bit and closed her eyes which beat burning her pupils by staring at the sky, "You shouldn't trust me. You shouldn't trust anyone. I have told you that from the start but I am your best bet and I will try to not lie to you moving forward."

"Did you lie to me to keep me at Aubermasse or did you do it to keep me from Theo?"

"Keeping you from Theo sweetened the deal," Viv finally turned to look at her.

Ava nodded, a frown appearing on her face. She was quiet for a minute, looking out onto the ocean. She was lost, in her head somewhere. Viv nudged her. She snapped back into herself and looked back.

"We need to work together," Avery said.

"Coincidentally, that is just what I came to talk to you about. How intuitive of you."

"How does that work though?" Ava ignored the sassy comment, "There can be no functionality in this relationship unless there is the certainty that the other will make the right decision. And I can't be assured that you will."

Viv nodded, bringing her hands up to rub her eyes with a sigh, "I fucking get it, Avery. Yeah? I get it. You cannot trust me. No one does. But you do not make it easy to trust you either. Every attempt you've made to slimy your way closer to me has been a manipulation."

She pulled her hands away and stared at Avery. The other girl registered no surprise on her face at the statement, contrary to previous reactions when she was called out for that same trickery in the past.

"I will stop putting you unknowingly in harm's way and manipulating you. You stop keeping things from me. Involve me in what you know, give me reliable news from the outside," Avery bargained.

"And how do I know I won't be tossed in the line of fire if something goes awry?"

"You don't. You shouldn't trust me. You shouldn't trust anyone, don't you recall? And I'm sure even if I gave you assurances you still wouldn't be fully trusting. But I still need you and I know you need me. You don't have to be smart to understand that basic fact. You wagered on both sides without knowing which will win and I am the way you mitigate the risk on your bet," Avery shrugged, "so, this is our only way."

"A solid alliance, built on the fear of mutual destruction," Viv teased, "a strong foundation, I will say."

Ava didn't react. She just looked below, "Everyone looks so small from up here."

"Please. Shut your fucking mouth," Viv said and immediately snapped her eyes shut.

"Why are you so scared?" Avery laughed, proving that she found just as much joy in Viv's displeasure as Viv did with Avery's.

"I'm rational. I know being this high up is not normal. It is not safe," Viv kept her eyes closed, her fists clenched, "How was your last night with Theo? Anything I need to worry about?"

"If there was, I would have told you suns ago."

"How are you doing?" Viv asked, it seemed like the nicer thing to do.

Avery responded well to her being nice. Usually. This time, she didn't answer. Avery just sighed a bit.

"She'll do that to you," Viv took her chances and opened her eyes, looking at the sails around her, "so, you two going to give it a go, or did you agree to go your separate ways?"

Theo had told her they had decided to keep things light. She had alluded to a lack of commitment to each other but she wanted to test that.

Ava shrugged next to her and Viv had her confirmation. They really had taken the cautious route.

"What?" Viv laughed a bit, "you got her all to yourself for a few nights. Can't that be enough for you? It's kind of selfish."

"You're right. There are people in this world that love her and won't ever get that close to her again," Avery bit and it was uncalled for.

Viv hadn't even been mean. She tried for the comment to not bother her but she felt the punch in her gut. All her work towards amends had been thrown off the very crow's nest she fought so hard to climb.

"Has she ever seen you be this way?" Viv tilted her head, "I'm sure she would hate to see it. I can see the look of realization in my head, I can picture the sadness when she is burdened with the knowledge that you are just like all the other conniving cunts back at Aubermasse."

She smirked when she saw Avery's face fall. It pushed her to twist deeper.

"And it seems like you can't even help yourself, princess. Something inside of you compels you to dig your claws in. Against your better judgment, the vindictiveness of the Vaiths comes through."

In a last-ditch effort to win the fight they had found themselves in, Ava gasped and pointed to the ground. Out of concern, Viv followed her finger but it was a trap. There was nothing and she was forced to look down. The dizziness was overwhelming and she braced her feet against the floor and planted her hands on the wood once again.

"Fucking," Viv said, slightly out of breath, "you little shithead."

Avery laughed, whatever hurt Viv had inflicted had dissipated. But deep down, Viv knew she had hit a sore spot. When she was insecure, she lashed out and that is exactly what her cheeky trick was, a show of insecurity.

"I have a gift for you before I attempt to head back down," Viv pressed her back further into the mast and pulled out a series of folded papers tied together with a bow.

"I don't want your gifts," she scoffed, "it doesn't just solve everything."

"You'll want this one."

"What is it?"

"I can't spoil it. You can figure it out on your own."

"Why are you giving me a present?" Ava asked, taking the pages from her.

"If you question it, I won't be as inclined to share information with you next time," Viv warned.

"Fine," Ava accepted the answer, "go on now, you are interrupting my time alone."

Viv looked down and she almost keeled over and threw up on the passengers below them. She couldn't even fathom how she would get down. Before climbing up, she had thought the way up would be the hardest but she wasn't sure that was the case any longer.

"Fuck," Viv muttered as her whole body tensed just thinking about going down the mast, "fuck no. Why? Gods, why?"

Ava had the audacity to laugh, "You can't do it?"

"Shut up."

"I can climb down and tell them to rig up some sort of rope system. We can get you down that way," Avery teased.

"Shut up!" Viv snapped as she took a deep breath and scooted closer to the entrance to the crow's nest, still unsure of how she would manage to get down but attempting it anyway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 13.5K 44
Forsaking God to kiss someone you hate might not be a smart decision, but damn does it hurt good. ✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.*✧.* Judith was never su...
140K 6.6K 56
||WATTY'S SHORTLIST 2023|| [LGBTQ+ New Adult Fiction] When Mia Cunningham leaves her hometown in coastal Maine at 11 years old after her mother's dea...
153 5 5
One year after a traumatic accident sends Robin Doyle into a tailspin of drunken depression and isolation, well-meaning Annalise decides it's high ti...
53 0 20
Upon the treacherous waters of the Caribbean, two indomitable souls are bound by an unbreakable bond - Captain Hazel Cabot and her fearsome first mat...