If Only I Could

Από isaidgaywrites

"It's you that I hold on to." Περισσότερα

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
20
21
22
re: finals
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE
30
31
Hear, hear!
32
33
34
35
Epilogue
IF ONLY I COULD

9

24.5K 361 52
Από isaidgaywrites

It was the 23rd of December, the last day of the year Alyssa and Dennise would spend together as Alyssa would fly to Rome to celebrate Christmas with her siblings while Dennise would have the holidays with her family.

Alyssa took Dennise in their house in Antipolo where in they could stay for the whole day.

The caretaker, who had been waiting for thei arrival, opened the gate for them as Alyssa parked the car in the garage.

"Who lives here?" Dennise asked as soon as she got outside the car and had the chance to marvel at the house.

"No one really," Alyssa answered, taking all their stuff out from the backseat.

"No one?" Den wondered why. The three-storey house looked modern and cozy as how Dennise had observed. "Not crazy rich pala, huh?"

"It's a family investment kasi," Alyssa said, beckoning Den to follow her inside. Dennise offered to carry some of the groceries they bought beforehand. "Sorry. Wala 'yung housekeeper and 'yung caretaker, si Manang, may pupuntahan din."

"Ano ka ba, okay lang." Den replied as they entered the house. Like how she expected, the interior was a luxury.

"Just leave everything there, hon. Mamaya na tayo mag-ayos. I am tired," Alyssa placed the bags on the nearest table then she configured the air-conditioning unit.

"Do you need anything?"

"Sleep, maybe." Alyssa smiled then she settled on the huge sofa couches, drawing Dennise beside her. "Ikaw?"

"Wala. Ano, okay ka lang? Ikaw kasi eh... Pagod at puyat ka na tapos pinilit mo pa ang sarili mo," Den kissed her nose as Alyssa closed her eyes sensing the brewing headache.

Alyssa was the busiest during the past few days having had to attend all kinds of social gatherings- from the early Christmas party of all the workers and staff of the café business to business meetings in lieu of her Tatay and other occasions she was invited in. And yet, even if she just got back from Davao this early dawn, she proceeded to Den's condo to fetch her and have they day she has been saving just for her.

"I am fine, hon, knowing I won't get to see you again until 2015," Alyssa told her sweetly.

She lied on the sofa, eyes focused on the huge still life painting. In an instant, memories of Laura flooded her head. Suddenly, she regretted being in this house again for this used to be her and Laura's favorite place, their sanctuary and their home.

She closed her eyes shut and turned her back against everything else in an attempt to block away all the memories of Laura in every corner of the house.

"Hon, are you feeling okay?" Dennise asked but to Alyssa it sounded so much like Laura's voice. Alyssa did not answer even if she felt Dennise lie behind her. "Alyssa?"

"I am fine, Den. I am just really tired..." Alyssa mumbled and pretended to yawn. "It's 10 palang, 'di ba? I'll wake up after an hour. Ako na ang magluluto ng lunch."

"It's okay, Ly. Just rest. Ako na ang bahala," Dennise breathed. She nuzzled her nose on Alyssa's nape while her hand hugged the latter's waist from behind. This made Alyssa miss Laura more, reminiscing how Laura would always do it to her when she wanted Alyssa to face her when they sleep together.

Alyssa slowly turned around and met Dennise' face, reminding her that it was Dennise, not Laura, who was with her.

Dennise cupped Alyssa's face and gave her a gentle and short kiss on the lips. Alyssa smiled, their lips still pressed together, and she seemed to have fallen asleep in the middle of the kiss.

"You're just really adorable," Den kissed her one last time before hugging her closer.

Both fell asleep to each other's breathing. It was Den who woke up first. Seeing Alyssa still enjoying the luxury of sleep, Den was determined to let Alyssa have her rest. She got up carefully after pecking on Alyssa's lips then she started to work in the kitchen.

It was past two when Alyssa woke up. She rubbed her eyes lightly before sitting up. A smile immediately appeared on her face upon seeing Dennise on the recliner, intently watching a cartoon show.

"Hey," Alyssa said, her voice groggy. "What time is it?"

"Two," Den answered without looking at her because her eyes were still glued on Finn and Jake. This made Alyssa pout. She stood up and walked to Dennise before sneaking a kiss on her cheek. "Aly!"

"Ayaw mo na akong i-kiss..." Alyssa pouted more childishly. She moped back to the sofa and sulked, her chin on her palm.

Dennise giggled then she followed Alyssa. She slid her hand behind the latter's back. "O, dali. I'll kiss you na."

Alyssa was still having her childish tantrum, pushing Dennise away from her. "H'wag na. Ayaw mo eh."

"Sure ka? Ayaw mo?" Dennise poked Alyssa's side then she proceeded to tickle her. "Ayaw mo talaga?"

"Ayoko!!" Alyssa giggled in her cute adorable voice. She was trying to wriggle out of Den's tickling hands. "Hon! Tama na!"

"Ayaw mo akong i-kiss?"

"Ayaw!" Alyssa locked Dennise in her arms and brought their face closer. Their breathing became in sync. Alyssa bridged the distance between her lips and Den's forehead. "Ayoko."

"Hmm... really?"

"Yeah, really." Alyssa kissed Den's cheek, then her nose, her neck- which gave Dennise a hard time in breathing. Slowly, her lips ventured lower while her hands crept inside Dennise' shirt. She smirked and stopped all at once.

Dennise groaned, obviously unsatisfied. She shoved Alyssa hard on the couch. "That's it!"

"Anong 'that's it'?" Alyssa suddenly was confused because Dennise was just standing in front of her, not making a move.

"Kumain na ako. Kumain ka na rin." She said flatly before walking out to prepare Alyssa's meal.

But before she could get away, she was grabbed on the hand. "Come on. What did I do? Halika muna rito."

What did you not do rather! Dennise thought then she blushed before returning to juat being a smug. "You asked for it. Jan ka lang. Maghahain ako."

Alyssa could only scratch her head, clueless of what was happening when the only thing she did was tease Den a little. Soon, Dennise was back with her lunch. Alyssa ate silently, still pondering why Dennise was giving her the cold shoulder.

After eating, she did the dishes then toured Dennise around the house. They started in the leisure room with a billiard and pingpong tables, dart boards, and a bar, of course. A sliding glass door also leads to the pool at the back of the house.

"Okay... you want to try?" Alyssa gave Dennise the cue stick but she got no amiable response from Dennise. "Come on, Den. What is it again? Sorry na."

She grinned and was eager to get a kiss from Dennise but she was, again, pushed away. "No."

"Awwww'd. Sorry na, Den. Baka kasi ma-miss kita nang sobra-sobra kaya medyo sinasanay ko nang-"

"O, edi tutulungan na kitang masanay ka," Den raised her eyebrow. "Yun pala gusto mo eh."

"Okay. Call." Alyssa crossed her arms on her chest then both held a staring contest. And although she was winning it, the moment Den lowered her gaze to Alyssa's lips with the sexiest lip bite she could show, Alyssa knew she just lost. She stomped few times childishly, dropping her shoulders. "Den, okay. Bati na tayo."

"Awwww'd look at you poor thing," Dennise touched Alyssa's nose who immediately surrendered herself but still, Dennise was taking none of it. "Tara na."

Alyssa frowned. She reached for Den's hand instead and had their fingers entwined. Dennise did not complain.

They continued with the tour- the home theater, the gym, and the library which Den immediately loved.

"Ano? Are we still not kissing?" Alyssa asked laughingly. She brushed her shoulder against Dennise who was standing in front of the shelves, seemingly lost in the world of literature. "Hon."

"How come you have so many books here?"

"Hindi naman akin lahat 'yan," Alyssa said, failing to mention that it was Laura's collection of books, not hers. It is Laura who loves reading. "Hey, back to my question..."

Dennise abruptly turned her head to Alyssa, their faces closer than what she intended to. Both blushed. It was Alyssa who recovered first, looking away from Dennise. This made the latter smile more. She faced Alyssa again and pecked on her lips quickly. "Okay na?"

"Isa pa," Alyssa requested, her cheeks all red. Dennise giggled before planting a little kiss again. "One more?"

"Lean down a little. You're quite tall..." Alyssa did what she was told to do, leaning down so Dennise could kiss her with ease. "Okay na? Nakakarami ka na ah!"

"You can do better than that, hon..." Alyssa coyed, her hand finding Den's waist. "One more."

"Tama na! Three na 'yun!"

"Three quick pecks!"

"Magrereklamo ka pa?" Dennise raised both of her eyebrows which silenced Alyssa.

"Ba't three lang kasi..."

"Para 'I love you'," Dennise said inaudibly and as soon as those words escaped her mouth, she regretted it. Good thing, Alyssa seemed not to have heard it. "T-tara na. Babalik nalang ako rito mamaya..."

"Wait." Alyssa stopped her and for a terrifying moment, she thought she was busted. Or maybe, she was really busted. "You said something. Ano 'yun?"

"S-s-sabi ko, t-tara na..." Dennise stuttered and her eyes were evasive.

"You said something..."

"W-what could it be? Silly!" Den faked a high-pitched laugh nervously. "Tara na!"

Alyssa let it passed upon noticing how Den was so anxious but before they exit the library, she kissed Dennise twice. "Yan."

"What?" Dennise asked confusedly. Alyssa was holding out a peace sign with her fingers. "Peace?"

"Hindi. Just in case I heard whatever you said right..."

"I don't get it..." Dennise mumbled. Alyssa blushed hard but still managed to look straight at Dennise' eyes, mouthing the word 'two' which Den soon realized could also mean... too.

[Note: Dahil ang hilig mag-peace sign nung dalawa. Alam na kung bakit. Haha]

They walked out of the room silently... and consciously. Alyssa told Den to follow her to the third floor, where her room is.

She stopped in front of the door, contemplating whether she should just use one of the other rooms. She just could not help remembering all the bitter and sweet memories shared with Laura here in their room for almost two years. Not to mention, it was in the same room that she last saw Laura. "S-should we just use the other room?"

"Why?" In this moment, both looked at each other and it was the first time their eyes met since they got out of the library. Dennise blushed hard while Alyssa readjusted her glasses. She leaned her head on the door to summon enough courage of being in the room again after almost a year.

While she was lost in her dilemma, Den could see the doubt in Alyssa. She reached for the latter's hand and kissed the back of it. "Ikaw ang bahala."

"You're with me..."

"Of course." Dennise answered. Alyssa smiled at her before she entered the room. Dennise followed and was blown away the moment she set her foot in.

The room was enclosed by large glass windows, showing an overview of Antipolo and the other cities around it. Den could almost imagine how beautiful it looked like at night.

"Maliligo muna ako." Alyssa snapped her back to reality. "Or do you want to go first?"

"It is okay. Mauna ka na." Den replied, turning on the television mounted on the wall. She lied on the bed and made herself comfortable.

She did not know she somehow fell asleep until she felt like someone was watching her. She opened her eyes and saw the ever charming smile of Alyssa. "S-sorry. Nagising ba kita? Na-ready ko na kasi 'yung bathtub para sa'yo... in case you want a warm bath... pero sleep ka nalang ulit..."

Dennise found it sweet. She always finds Alyssa sweet. She met Alyssa's lips slowly and before they broke away from it, she whispered, "You're the sweetest."

Alyssa blushed and nodded before providing Dennise a fresh towel and bathrobe. It took her a while, as always. By the time she was done, Alyssa was already lost in her own world, staring blankly at the closet.

"Hey." Dennise nudged her gently and when she got no response, she knew million things were already running inside Alyssa's head. She just wrapped her arms against the latter's waist and pressed her face against her shoulder. "Does everything really remind you of her?"

"What?" Alyssa was not sure what Dennise was implying until she realized Den was referring to Laura. How did she know? Alyssa has no idea. She kind of felt guilty and she held Den's hand, kissing the back of it. "What do you want for dinner, honey?"

Dennise did not answer right away. She just shrugged. Alyssa mentally hit her head hard, knowing that she just hurt Den's feelings again, even if she never meant any of it. She brushed her lips against Den's neck, sending her good shivers. "You want to take a stroll? Or watch a movie? Or perhaps, gym tayo? Or-"

"Ly, nakakakiliti ka!" Dennise finally smiled much to Alyssa's relief. The latter continued in giving Den's neck gentle kisses. "I don't know. We can just stare at each other and I don't think I will ever get tired of it."

"Hmm..." She lowered her kisses while her hand wandered on Den's back. "Go with me... to Rome. Everyone's gonna be there... my family."

"Ly, we've talked about this, right? I can't. Gusto rin nila akong kasama sa pasko." Dennise answered. Alyssa has stopped kissing her by now and both were back to locking gazes. "I am sorry."

"I'll just really miss you, Dennise."

"I am really sorry..." Den bit her lip, keeping her voice steady. Her heart was heavy that she would not be with Alyssa for a whole week.

"Don't feel bad, hon, but once I get back, I want you to meet Tatay and Nanay na. Okay?" This caught Den dumbfounded. Alyssa just told her she wanted her to meet her parents. It was like taking their complicated relationship in another level. "I want them to meet a wonderful person like you."

"Nambola ka pa." She blushed and nuzzled her nose on the crook of Alyssa's neck. "I am really sorry about this Christmas. Ikaw kasi eh. Ang layo mo."

"We still have next year... and the year after... and the next years..." Alyssa realized what she was trying to say. She was talking about the future like she was so sure she would get to spend it with Dennise. "I mean... is that your phone?"

Dennise shook her head then she nodded at Alyssa's phone which has been ringing nonstop. "Baka importante."

"It's just Kim," she told her then proceeded to answer the call. After a brief conversation, she suddenly rose to her feet then ran to the nearest window facing the road. "You got to be kidding me, Kimang."

"Anong meron?"

"They will be here soon," she informed and made an annoyed look. "Manggugulo. I am sorry, Den. Bigla nalang silang sumusulpot eh."

"Sinong sila?"

"Kim, Bang, Mika and Ara plus some of our good friends. We really hold house parties kasi before Christmas and usually, dito. Hindi ko naman alam na this year isn't exempted. I did not even know they knew we were here."

"I see, I see." Den motioned Alyssa to bring herself next to her. Alyssa complied and sat next to Dennise, her arm automatically wrapping the other around. "Will there be drinks then? Don't drink, okay?"

"You know I hate drinking," Alyssa gave her a very cheeky smile.

Dennise nodded a few times. Her hands carefully reached for Alyssa's face and slowly removed her black-rimmed glasses and placed it somewhere on the bed. "Has anyone told you already that you look like a cat?"

"Dahil dito?" Alyssa took Den's hand and traced her dimples below her eyes with it. Dennise leaned forward to give her cheek a quick peck. "Yeah, I've been told. A lot. Bakit?"

"Wala lang. It's adorable." Dennise told her. "Nasaan na raw sila?"

"Ewan. Marikina palang naman daw and kind of stuck in the Christmas traffic but knowing Kim and Ara, papaliparin nila mga sasakyan nila."

"Let's cuddle then," Dennise pulled Alyssa after her, both now lied on the bed, their legs left hanging. Den turned to her side to close the distance between them. She placed her forehead on Alyssa's collar, feeling how their breathing synced in an instant.

"Sorry talaga, Den. 'Di mo tuloy ako masosolo," Aly chuckled softly. "Pero tabi nalang tayo mamaya para masulit mo ako."

"Ang yabang mo, Valdez. Baka nga magmakaawa ka na naman sa akin na sumunod sa'yo sa Rome."

"Hindi, ah. I'll be enjoying myself so much para 'di kita mamiss," Alyssa's lips slyly smiled.

"And what do you mean by that?" Den asked which sounded more of a threat. However, Alyssa was not backing down, even shrugging her shoulder smugly. "Uy, Ly!"

"Bakit? One week din 'yun away from work and everything. It's gonna be fun. Na-miss ko rin ang Europe eh and of course, the night life. Iba kasi roon. Everyone's liberated and... more fun."

With this, Den broke away from the cuddle and bolted up, leaving Alyssa on the bed alone. Alyssa grinned knowing that her plan worked.

"I just wish Ara's with me para mas masaya. Alam mo 'yun, matinik. Besides, magt-24 palang ako on June pero ang dami ko nang iniitindi. I need a break."

The look on Den's face could not be painted. It was a mixture of frustration, disappointment and hurt. She remained silent for a good moment. Alyssa started to worry and flashed her a regretful smile as she reached Den's elbow. However, Dennise swatted her arm away. "Life must be so boring for you, 'no? Sige lang. Seek some 'fun' doon."

"Joke lang. 'Di ka na mabiro, Den. Matino 'to. Matino." Alyssa whispered next to Den's ear but the latter was taking none of it, even taking some steps away from Alyssa. "Awww'd. Nagtatampo na siya... Sorry."

"No, it is okay. I am sorry if I am a bore and if I am-"

"Hala. Come on, hon. Biro lang." She pulled Dennise in a hug again even if Den was struggling to free herself. "Dito ka na ulit. Sorry."

"Bahala ka jan. H'wag mo akong kausapin!"

"Dito ka na... pleeeaaaaassseeee." Alyssa coaxed her voice with extra sweetness. Dennise did not move a skin, challenging Alyssa to pursue her more. "Deeeeeen! Sorry na. You know I don't play around at lalong I don't sleep around because if I do... sana matagal na tayong ano..."

"Ano?"

"Ano." Alyssa grinned playfully before she rained kisses on Den's collar. "So you should know that I am not playing with you, hon because I don't want to lose... I don't want to lose you."

Dennise did her darnest best not to blush. She bit her lip hard, looked away, tried to resent Alyssa-- all done in two seconds. It was futile but still, she rolled her eyes and gave Alyssa an irritated look. "If you think words get me, think again."

"Goodness, you are so adorable!"

"Alyssa! Bahala ka jan! Bye!" Dennise dragged her legs across the room and faced the glass windows. It was almost six and the sunset was already thinly lining the horizon but more than anything, she loved how the city lights started to color view.

"It's my favorite view," Alyssa, who was on the bed, told her. "Ganda, 'no?"

"Che. H'wag mo akong kausapin."

"Hahaha! Ngayon na nga lang ulit tayo magkasama, lagi pa tayong naga-away." She reached for her glasses again and wore it. She silently walked behind Dennise and gave her cheek a peck. The latter glared at her again in her pretend resentment. Alyssa laughed and raised both of her hands in surrender. "Sabi ko nga... sabi ko nga..."

Dennise only expected Alyssa's best friends so she was both surprised and anxious that she would meet people she had never met before. Two cars were parked next to Den's car in the garage and two more were sidelined on the street.

"Grabe. Sana nagsabi kayo beforehand, 'di ba? Para naman napaghandaan ko kayo." Alyssa lectured as she checked their grocery supplies. Although Mika and Ara brought home some groceries too, it would not be enough to cover a house party.

"Kasi nga biglaan din. Akala ko nga, indiana jones na naman sila pero biglang nag-confirm." Ara checked out the wine rack. "Ba't puro wine? Wala bang mas hard jan? Paano tayo magpa-party niyan? Tara, bili tayo tapos grocery na rin."

"Sige na. Sige na. Geez, sana nag-bar nalang kayo."

"Grabe, ayaw mo yatang nandito kami eh. Sorry, ha? Parang nagkakalimutan tayo, Ly. Tradition na natin 'to tapos porke't wala lang si Laura, 'di na natin gagawin? Five years, Ly. Five years na nating ginagawa 'to."

In retaliation, Alyssa shoved the unpeeled orange on Ara's face. "Eto na nga, 'di ba? Magpapaalam lang ako kay Den."

Alyssa did not wait for Ara's teasing smile. She ran to the living room where Dennise was chatting with Gretchen, Rachel and Fille. She took her hand and pulled her somewhere they could not be seen. "Sorry. Aasarin lang nila ako eh. So... aalis lang ako saglit. Gusto mong sumama?"

"Saan ka na naman pupunta?"

"Wow, hon. Magg-grocery lang with Ara and bibili na rin ng drinks. Saglit lang po 'yun, okay?"

"Bahala ka."

"Hon naman eh." She held Den's waist and pulled her closer. She wanted to kiss Dennise but the other one defied. Dennise, on the other hand, did not know how she could continue being cold towards Alyssa. She was not mad-- frustrated because of Laura, yes, but she could not stay mad at Alyssa. "Takasan nalang kaya natin sila?"

"Ewan ko sa'yo. Sige na. Umalis ka na."

"Bati na tayo?"

"Para kang bata. Alis na!" When Dennise flashed her smile, Alyssa pressed her lips against it. Both lips did not move, just letting the kiss linger. "Alis na, hon."

"Yeees!" Alyssa pumped her fist triumphantly and kissed Dennise quickly again. "Ang lakas mong magpakilig, Dennise."

"You're such a girl, Alyssa."

While Alyssa was gone, Dennise could not deny the anxiousness creeping inside of her. She knew that Laura was their friend too, a close friend, and that she was here instead of Laura. She tried to eliminate all those thoughts and engage herself with their friendly conversations. She found it not that hard because they were all nice to her.

Of course, the inevitable question of "Kayo ba?" was brought up a few times and was denied.

They prepared for the house party-- Kim and Ara manned the bar station and mixed up alcoholic drinks for later. Mika and Gretchen were doing some catching ups about their boyfriends. Rachel and Fille were already having fun playing pool while Bang was still coordinating with their other friends who were yet to come.

Meanwhile, Den and Alyssa were just inseparable since then, both now in the kitchen.

"Wow, calories!" Den exclaimed when she saw the crabs that Alyssa just took out from the oven.

"It's cheat day, Den." Alyssa wriggled her eyebrows playfully. She placed the tray of crabs on the counter then she faced Den. She bit her lower lip and her eyes shifted to Den's tummy together with her left hand. She closed the distance between their faces and whispered something in her ear. "Let's just lock ourselves in our room. Ano sa tingin mo?"

Dennise blushed and hit Alyssa's hand. "Tempting, hon pero may kasalanan ka pa sa akin eh."

"Sssshhhh..." She brought her lips to Den's and gave her small and quick kisses until Dennise decided to have it longer and fuller, sliding her hand on Aly's nape. They were so lost they did not realize Ara just walked in.

"Sorry, lovebirds but-" Obviously, the two were startled. "What? I need lime, Alyssa. At let's start soon. Di na raw makakarating 'yung iba."

"I told you, let's just stay in our room... alone..." Alyssa suggested again in her whisper. She frowned while Dennise stuck her tongue out to her.

"Maybe next time, honey."

  Alyssa could only sigh in defeat. The party dragged on when their other friends arrived and sure enough, Alyssa never had a chance to be with Dennise again as the latter was with the others. Alyssa was moping around, just listening to the loud fit of laughter from her friends.

"Ly, tara. Para ka namang loner jan..." Rachel, who is always an ate to Alyssa and the youngsters of the group, tried to cheer her up. "You miss her?"

Alyssa did not react. "It's okay. Everyone does naman, Ly."

"Maybe I don't..." Alyssa heard herself say. It has been bothering her since this morning. Sure the house reminds her of Laura and all their memories together but for some reasons... "I mean, I do pero it does not hurt anymore. Tanggap ko na ata. It's just that... it is sad..."

"You don't love her anymore?"

"I do, Ate that is why it is sad. I don't want to be in love with her..." Her eyes automatically searched for Dennise and when their gazes met, she smiled at her sadly. "Anymore..."

"I see... you don't think she's still worth the wait? Or someone deserves it more?" Rachel gave Alyssa a meaningful look. "You look so happy with Dennise. It shows pero okay na sana talaga kaso nagpapaka-loner ka jan."

"I just don't feel like taking a dip. Malamig eh."

"Yun naman pala! Edi samahan mo nito nang mag-init ka!" Kim held out a glass of mixed vodka. "H'wag KJ!"

"Kabote ka ba, Kimang?!"

"Para ka kasing tanga jan. Inom na dali!" Then Kim shouted for Den's attention. "Den, okay lang. Di ba?"

"Sus. Ayoko talaga, Kim. Tapang niyan eh."

"Isa lang. Pumayag na si Den oh." Kim insisted. Alyssa could not help herself but to agree, knowing that one way or another, she could not let this night pass without a drink or two.

The alcohol burnt her throat, reminding her why she hates drinking hard.

And after a series of teasing, Alyssa agreed to strip her white shirt and denim shorts so she could join her friends frolicking in the pool. It was a cold December night but because of the alcohol she was taking in, she was all fired up.

The night was only getting started for them when Kim and Ara set up a beerpong game in the pool. Only that the cups were filled with vodka.

"Easy gaming lang. You can either answer a question or down a cup. We take turns sa pagbato ng bola." Ara explained to the other three who joined and were forced to join the game. "Ready, Ly?"

"I don't like where this is going..." Alyssa smiled nervously at Kim and Mika then she tried to get sympathy from Rachel and Bang who were on the recliners, enjoying wine. "Can I-"

"Nope!" Mika interrupted her. "Di ka naman malalasing basta sagutin mo lang nga tanong namin. Besides, tayo-tayo lang naman..."

"I really don't like where this is going..." She glanced at Den, Fille, Dzi, Mela and Gretchen all relaxing in the Jacuzzi nearby. "Kayong tatlo nalang kasi."

"Grabe ka naman. Ngayon lang ulit tayo magkakasamang tatlo eh. 'Di ka na nga maaya sa bar tapos may Kiefer na 'tong si Mika. Nagsasawa na rin kaya ako sa kagaguhan ni Ara." Kim sulked and pretended to be a little disappointed. "Sige na... Doon ka na kina Den..."

"Arte mo, Kimang. Game na nga!"

"Woooh! Yan gusto ko sa'yo, Valdez!!"

  They took turns in throwing the pingpong balls. Alyssa knew the three would just gang up on her but she kept her cool in answering questions. Even if it puts her in a very uncomfortable predicament.

"Come on, when was the last time you had sex? And with whom?" Ara repeated her question, making sure that the others could hear her. Alyssa just had two cups of vodka and a third one would be least favored. "Answer me or drink up. Gusto ko, specific."

"L-last year... Laura..." She answered truthfully. Ara and Kim uttered curses and jeers in disbelief. "Magtatanong tapos 'di maniniwala..."

"You mean... 'di ka pa nakaka-home run kay Den?!" Mika inquired.

"Bagal mo, Valdez!"

"Sorry, ha pero I am not like you eh..." She rolled her eyes at Ara then she sighed. She could already feel the intoxication, her lips forming out words before she could think of it. "Game on, brats."

  Two turns later, Kim landed the pingpong ball in Alyssa's cup. Kim grinned a sinisterly grin and then she threw her question. "Wildest thing you've done with Lau?"

Alyssa pondered on it for a while before taking the cup and gulping the vodka all the way down. The booming laughter echoed around the house that piqued the interest of the other friends.

"Si Laura lang pala talaga katapat mo!" Kim pestered her with her teasing laugh. "Ikaw na. Bumawi ka naman."

  But Alyssa missed anyone's cup, wasting her turn. Mika came next and perfectly aimed the ball in Alyssa's cup. The latter groaned in frustration because she saw how Ara coached Mika for her question. "Which Laura's body part turns you on the most?"

"Serrrrioussssly?!" Alyssa slurred. She did not want to have another drink so she ended up answering the question. "N-nape. Seryoso ako! Ba't kayo natatawa!" 

"Ang bilis mo kasing sumagot!"

  There were few more questions  about Laura that Alyssa had to answer. Both stupid and sexually incriminating ones. Finally, she had enough of how the three were messing around with her that she decided to quit.

"Ayoko na. Puro kayo Laura, Laura, Laura. Wala naman siya rito..." Alyssa snapped and to her friends' surprise, she consumed another cup of vodka. Her eyes were half-closed but she could still manage. "Iinom lang akong tubig."

She swam to the pool stairs and carefully climbed back to the surface. She picked up her white shirt and wore it to warm herself a bit. After taking a glass of water, she took a detour and went to the Jacuzzi area instead. "All cool here?"

"Aly!!!" Dennise said enthusiastically and by the manner she smiled at Alyssa, the latter knew something was wrong. "You're here!"

"Did she drink?"

Mela gestured at the half empty bottle of whiskey near them. "A lot. Dalhin mo na roon. She's wasted."

"Why did you let her?"

"No, Ly..." Gretchen chimed in, her eyes darting straight at Alyssa. "Why did you let her, rather."

"What happened ba?"

"Read the room, Aly." The girls hinted, all pouting at Mika, Ara and Kim who were still asking Alyssa to join them again.

"It is okay, girls. I am fine!" Den forcefully pushed Alyssa away as she submerged herself under the water.

"No, Den. You're not. Let's go." She tugged Dennise by the arm. The other was being persistent in resisting Alyssa that Fille had to convince her to go with Aly. Alyssa draped the robe around Dennise and lead her to their room with so much difficulty as Dennise did not want to be assisted even if she was already stumbling down on the stairs. "Careful, honey."

"Geez! Kaya ko 'to. Bumalik ka na roon. Marami pa silang itatanong sa'yo..." She did manage to trudge her way to the room.

"Hon, you need to change clothes..." Alyssa opened the door for her. Dennise staggered to her feet and ended up laughing to herself. Alyssa ran to assist her but got pushed. "Dennise..."

"I'll manage." She forced her legs to work for her but ended up wobbling again. Alyssa knew that one more attempt to help her would make Den really mad. She just watched her walk unsteadily to the bathroom as she provided her fresh clothes she could change into. "Thanks, babe."

"No problem. Magbihis ka na, okay? H'wag mo nang basain buhok mo. Medyo tuyo na oh. Uhm... I'll be right here, honey."

  While Dennise scrambled inside the bathroom, Alyssa took it as a chance to get herself dressed too and then she dried her hair with a blower. Ten minutes passed and Den was yet to come out. Alyssa knocked on the door once and realized Den did not even lock it. She asked if she could come in but got no response from Dennise. She hesitated but she was so worried. She peered first and she saw Dennise sprawled on the floor, clothed but she seemed to have forgot to put her PJs on. 

"Honey, wake up. Matulog na tayo." Alyssa tapped her cheek a few times.

"Did I fall asleep? Hah... how pathetic... No, don't... kaya ko 'to..." She held onto the sink and pulled herself up. She almost tripped again but Alyssa was quick to react, letting Den in her arms. "Ano ba? I said, kaya ko 'to."

"I know, Dennise pero tutulungan na kita. Let's go." Dennise did not protest. She was helped on the bed and was tucked in. "Ba't ka ba kasi uminom? Sabi mo kanina, ako 'yung bawal tapos ngayon..."

 Alyssa took the other side of the bed and almost had drifted off until she felt Dennise shift and kiss her neck lustfully. No second was wasted and she found herself under Dennise. Her shirt was being yanked away forcefully and she knew what Den wanted. She took it off as Den resumed her business with her chest. Her heart was beating so wildly she could not hear her own soft moans. 

When she tried to sit up, Den just pushed her back to the bed again. She sat astride on her tummy to keep her from getting away. Dennise also took off her own shirt and tossed it somewhere. She moved her hand back and forth and all over Alyssa's chest while still giving her neck the kisses that would drive anyone insane. 

Alyssa loved it but she knew Den was intoxicated and was only doing it because she was under the influence of alcohol. And something else. "Den, why did you drink?"

"Because why not? Babe, I need your clothes off." She tugged Alyssa's shorts down but the latter subtly denied her. "Ano?"

"Mamaya na... sabihin mo muna sa akin kung bakit ka naglasing."

"You know why?" Dennise propped her arms so she could see Alyssa's face. "Para wala na akong marinig. It worked, you know."

"Marinig? Bakit?"

"Sa tuwing binabanggit niyo ang pangalan niya, I'd take a shot. It was easy. I could drown myself with it together with my pathetic thoughts. Cool, di ba? Now, I need your clothes-"

"Why did you do that?" 

"Because I needed it!" Dennise shouted. Tears started to race down her face, draining the life in her. She laid herself carefully on Alyssa as she sobbed. "I needed it, Alyssa."

"Den, you know that they were just having fun. Right? That... that none of it mattered to me kasi alam ko na inaasar lang nila ako..."

"Then I don't like their idea of fun!" She continued to sob. She heaved heavy breaths and her shoulders were shaking. "Mahirap bang intindihin na nasasaktan na rin ako? I was never this stupid, Alyssa until I met you."

"Okay... I am sorry..." was all Alyssa could say. She stroke Den's hair to calm her down but still, Den bawled all her frustration out. "Honey, please. Don't cry. I am so sorry. Alam ko namang nasasaktan ka na and believe me, I am trying to cushion it for you."

"Tangina mo naman kasi eh. Kung mahal mo pa, h'wag ka munang mang-gago ng iba."

"Dennise, please..." She hugged her tightly like somehow, it would hold the breaking Dennise back together. Her eyes started to tear up too. "Den, please. H'wag ganito. Matulog ka muna tapos bukas na tayo magu-usap. Lasing ka lang..."

 But Den would not stop crying. Her nails were digging on Alyssa's skin as she suffered from breathing heavily. "You... you're the most frustrating person..."

"I know, honey."

"You're the most frustrating person to fall in love with... but I can't help it. I love you."

 For a second, Alyssa was the happiest but knowing that love could never unhurt Dennise, she sulked to her sadness again. Dennise continued to sob on Alyssa's neck weakly. 

"I love you. I love you. I am in love with you..." she mumbled softly. "I love you... I am sorry but I love you..."

  She fell asleep mumbling the same words over and over again. 

***

   It was not only seven and yet, Alyssa was already up. She was so busy in the kitchen, her hair in a messy bun and her hands working with finesse in everything. She was chopping strawberries when from her peripheral vision, she saw Dennise walked to her.

"Morning..." Den smiled flatly. 

Remembering last night, Alyssa was startled and she did not know how to react. She just smiled back. 

"Ba't ang aga mong nagising?"

"Uh... I... baked Jus her velvet cake and... cookies for Mosh and... chocolate cake for your family. Iuwi mo mamaya..." She evaded Den's eyes and focused back on her work instead. "C-coffee?"

"Please..." Dennise sat on the bar stool. "What happened last night? I don't remember anything..."

"You don't?"

"Uhm... nope... though I remember I almost fell asleep in the bathroom."

"Yeah... you kind of did..." Alyssa served her a cup of coffee and some Belgian waffles she also made for them. She took a good look of Dennise. Hair was disheveled and she was still wearing no PJs on. Only her loosely fit shirt. "Anong oras ka uuwi mamaya?"

"Before lunch or earlier... Teka, 'di mo naman na kailangang gumawa pa niyan..."

"Si Jus eh, nag-request. Patapos naman na. Also... I bought them some gifts so pakibigay nalang." She braved a glance. She saw Dennise smiling warmly at her. The kind of smile that makes Alyssa's day. She found herself smiling back. "Good morning."

"Asan na pala 'yung iba?"

"They managed to get themselves in the rooms or else, baka hinila ko na sila papunta roon. Four na ata sila natapos mag-party. It was a mess."

"Hmm... I can imagine... Ikaw, what time flight mo?"

"Mamayang two pm to Hong Kong tapos connecting flight." Carefully, she assembled the velvet cake and decorated it with frosting. She smiled at her finished product proudly before encasing it in a box. She worked on the chocolate cake this time. 

Dennise finished her coffee and put the mug to the sink. She also washed the other dishes. "Was I that drunk that I do not remember anything? No single recollection of last night..."

Alyssa's heart broke again for some unknown reasons. She remembered it all. She remembered how Dennise cried. She remembered her confession. She remembered the hurt in her voice and in her eyes. She set aside the whisk and washed her hands. She removed her apron and walked silently behind Dennise. She surprised her with a hug.

"Don't move, Den. Ganito lang..." She breathed on Den's nape. "Nasabi ko na sa'yo nang paulit-ulit but I will miss you. I will really miss you."

"I will miss you too, Ly."

"There's no mistletoe above us but... can I kiss you?" 

"Anong tanong 'yan?" Dennise chuckled and turned around. She waited for the kiss and like it was their first time, Alyssa moved slowly. Once their lips touched, both eyes simultaneously just shut the world down. It was quick but was enough to convey their feelings. "I never asked for anything this Christmas, Dennise but then you came and I could not ask for anything more. And I know I make bad choices in life but I promise that I will be a better person next year. Merry Christmas, honey and please don't give up on me."

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

281K 14.1K 32
"Don't you ever forget about me, okay Laurens." "Got it, Hamilton." -- Lams highschool AU aHAHA thanks
61 15 8
"Remember what I said, I won't let go of your hand, I promise you."
78.2K 1.5K 37
"Love is where you see yourself successful with the person that's supporting you nonstop." -Den, TTWY 2020
560K 8.8K 42
Alyssa Valdez Dennise Lazaro